E.ON

E.ON Employee Reviews

A good place to work, but hard to get on.
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  NottinghamFebruary 25, 2015
E.ON on paper is a great place to work with a good job culture and great benefits. Unfortunately though your experience of E.ON is dependant on the areas of the business you work in and the manager you are under. There are good managers and good teams to work with, but unfortunately the opposite is also true which can lead to an unpleasant working experience. This can be made up by the quality of people that you work with, the compensation you receive and relaxed working atmosphere (once again this is dependant)

Unfortunately career development in E.ON also doesn't seem to something that they can get right. The interview process itself is based off of a points system, which means applicants who have the drive to succeed in the job can lose due to the wording of an answer being off. The questions in interviews seem to also be there just to tick boxes, I've had an example in an interview that I was successful for were a question was read from a sheet which happened to be one of the previous questions worded slightly differently.

Also E.ON has a policy of encouraging sideways moves into other teams as oppose to training junior members of staff or helping them gaining practical experience. This means that people have lost out on a potential step up the ladder due to someone in a similar (or the same) role in another department moving sideways for their CV.

On top of this there is a culture of favouritism in the hiring process which means friends of managers seem to climb the ladder quicker. Steps have been taken to address this but now that means all jobs within E.ON now requires
  more... 2 interviews. One with a call centre in HR head office in Germany and another with the hiring manager, and pretty much all decision making in terms of the job has been taken away from said manager. This means that hiring is now based solely off of interview performance, which will just make the problems above much more acute.

All in all, not a bad company to work for, but experience with bad management, and difficulties with movement in the business have really darkened my experience of E.ON.
Smart and fun people & interesting work environment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  München, BYMarch 26, 2013
E.ON is a great employer. I started as a graduate trainee and had a very good start. During the 18-month program I was gaining an excellent insight into a wide variety of areas. As a trainee for financial controlling I got to know five different business units within the E.ON group. One outstanding placement was based in Italy where I spent 6 month.

After finishing the program I was employed as a Business Analyst at the E.ON Sales Unit in Munich, Germany. Later on I wanted to learn something new and became Sales Manager. At the end, this was the best mix to get the best understanding of the energy business.

Cons:
Unfortunately, E.ON Management is reorganizing the entire company. As an employee this feels like a never ending story. That's why the atmosphere is sometime depressing. My advice: be optimistic, be very open to change and try to do a very good job.

Pros:
- The energy industry in Germany is very interesting since competition has started in 2008. With more than 900 energy suppliers in Germany you need new and fresh ideas to convince customers. E.ON gives you enough freedom to act individually and honors innovative ideas.
- International company
- Salary is quite high
Pros
free tea and coffee
Cons
ongoing reorganization (since 2008)
Excellent company to work for.. Just be careful who you speak to!
Customer services specialist (prepayment) (Current Employee) –  BoltonFebruary 10, 2015
E.ON provide fantastic benefits and excellent pay but the managers are very clicky. Your time there will completely depend on your manager. I wasn't progressed for months and within a week of being moved to a new team, I'd progressed to the next level.

You need to be careful what you say in the office and you can't raise a grievance because the section managers and the team managers are all so friendly with each other. If you did, no action would be taken and your time there would be dreadful.

The speed at which things are done is appalling. I waited 6 weeks for my ID card to arrive

I've named a lot of the cons but the pros far outweigh them. The pay is fantastic, there's a lot of room for progression (depending on your manager), it's a pretty laid back environment (again depending of your manager). The work tends to be shift work which changes each week so you probably won't have a wonderful social life but the pay makes up for it!
Pros
pay, generous pension, benefits.
Cons
managers, speed of doing things.
appaling management
call (Former Employee) –  BedfordJune 3, 2013
i worked at E.on for three weeks when after my last day i recieve a phone call from man power on my way home informng me that i had been released due to and i quote " humming to myself at my desk and asking the wrong people for help" the most rediculus reasons ever so when i went into ask for an explination i was told that this is not working we cant wait for you to get the hang of this job to which i replied iof there was a problem with my work why was i not sent for further training like some of my colleuges?to which i never recieved a reply to so i was basicly made an example out to set a president for everyone else i have tried to take it higher but as an agency worker who had not been there 3 months there was nothing that i could really do. onb a bighter note the manpower agency was brilliant through out my employment just a shame about the employer.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
management
Friendly relaxed work place
Street Lighting Resource Scheduler (Former Employee) –  NottinghamNovember 19, 2012
I really enjoyed my job and always looked forward to going into work. Despite the pressure and responsibility the atmosphere was always pleasant. Amongst us was a Line Manager, 1 Resource Co-Ordinator, 2 Schedulers, 2 Clerical and approx 16 Jointing Teams. We shared the workload between us when times were busy and manic. We worked well as a team and always helped each other out.
I have learned how to prioritise my workload to ensure the most important tasks are completed first. I also developed a good understanding of our customers and built up strong working relationships.
Hardest Part - There was always something to be done and when it was time to go home I was always thinking about what I had to do the following day.
Most Enjoyable Part - Job itself and Colleagues.
Pros
good work team, flexiable hours, salary
Smart and fun people & interesting work environment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  München, BYMarch 26, 2013
E.ON is a great employer. I started as a graduate trainee and had a very interesting time during the 18-month program.

Cons:

Pros:
- International company
- Salary is quite high
Pros
creative and productive atmosphere
Cons
ongoing reorganization
General Tasks
Data Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  KingswinfordSeptember 12, 2013
• Data input using various in house software packages, Microsoft access, excel, powerpoint, visio and word.
• Data analysis and correcting errors.
• Numerical problem solving.
• Complex problem and error solving.
• Sending information to external and internal customers.
• Creating scripts within SQL to produce reports.
• Trained new members of staff.
• Data Aggregator which involved making sure certain tasks were completed on a daily basis otherwise the company would be fined by the industry regulator.
• Created query tables within Brio to produce reports.
• Helped achieve 97% RF percentage which was the goal for an electricity company to achieve and keep to.
The jobs are secure and all my colleagues are very friendly
FDR Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Nottingham city centreJune 17, 2013
I find it very hard to move up within eon, I enjoy anaylising data and not many analysing jobs come up. I also feel if i were a supervisor or manager it would possibly be easier for me to move up to an analyst postion but I do not wish to take that path so I have now decided to look outside of eon.The managers try to help as much as possible but they can only do so much, Progression within eon depends on how you do on a math test or an assessment centre rather than if you have the actual skills for the job.
Pros
decent pay and flexability with holidays/ work times
Cons
difficulty in getting a role you actually want and know you could do.
Hard work and great people
Resolution Reviewer (Former Employee) –  NottinghamJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of reviewing the complaints of customers in an impartial manner.

I learnt customer service skills and how to be compliant and to be fair with my resolutions while keeping in mind the company regulations.

Staff were a joy to work with. Everyone was willing to help if you were stuck or had a large work load.

Hardest part of the job was to stay detached emotionally from some of the cases

Most enjoyable part of the job was to resolve peoples complaints who had been waiting a long time for a resolution and see that they are now happy and stress free thanks to the work you have done for them.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Stressful
fun and interesting to work for
Customer Service Apprentice, (Former Employee) –  Griffin court Pheonix park NottinghamJuly 21, 2015
as an apprentice I was given tasks that other advisors where too busy to complete which gave me experience in an office environment and gave my the experience to prioritise my work load as some things where more important to be completed first than others.
at my time with E.ON I have built up my confidence and belief that I can achieve any task set to me with satisfactory outcomes.
Pros
working directly with customers on a dayily basis
Cons
not being able to put my skills into much practise.
Overall a good company to work for apart from redundancy
Venue Consultant at e.on (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, ENGJanuary 13, 2015
Looking after a team of 8 sales person
How to interact and achieve the best from my team.
Helping all co-workers to maintain sales discipline and self improvement at the same time as producing sales myself.
Nothing really hard about the job apart from maintaining other staff's interest
Achieving with my team was most enjoyable
Fundamental experience with working at arranged venues
Pros
salary, benefits, working environment
Cons
redundancy
Current Role
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Home basedSeptember 18, 2012
Management of Sales people selling Gas and Electricity to residential households. Target driven and management of this is demanding but enjoyable. Responsible for all HR issues, capability and conduct, sickness and holiday processes. Monthly one to ones held with all Sales people in my Team, ensuring Compliance is adhered to and all complaints delt with, including ensuring they have hit their KPI's and setting action plans.
Pros
autonomy on day to day calender
Great workplace with room for advancement
Credit Operations Team Manager (Current Employee) –  NottinghamJanuary 9, 2014
E.ON's a great place to work, being there nearly 7 years now I've picked up a wealth of knowledge and skills to help me manage myself amongst other individuals.

The people are great and there is a buzz to make more of yourself and E.ON actively promote advancement and will do everything possible to advance you in your career.
Pros
good pay, great people and great room for advancement
Cons
distance to travel to work
Not a Good place to work at all
External wall insulation Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  ENGJune 11, 2015
I was an apprentice for e.on we were promised pay rises and everything and never got them there was hardly any work to do most of the time we would be sat around and course work we never had help with at all it was just left in a folder for us to do and not explained and we were expected to supply our own tools for the job on apprentice minimum wage.
Pros
didnt have any free lunch
Cons
everything
Review for Eon
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Call CentreDecember 31, 2012
I have worked for this company for 4 years. I have tried to progress my career with the company but it seems to be a 'If you face fits' situation, therefore I have remained in the same position for 4 years. I am looking for something more than this. The management can be 'ok', at times it feels like they have too much pressure on them to be able to understand the role and requests of the team members they are managing.
Great safety culture and a happy natured working environment.
Health and Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kingsnorth PowerStation, KentOctober 15, 2012
A fantastic working environment with a zero harm approach to safety. Well being and attitudes to work are second to none even as we approach closure of the station in March 2013.
Great opportunities to progress, training and management are superb.
Pros
great training opportunities.
Cons
closing site and awaiting redundancy.
huge company great exposure.
Marketing manager (Former Employee) –  London UKJune 10, 2014
this company is one of the biggest supplier of gas and electricity in Europe.there was plenty of meeting and discussions about how to increase business fro the company.
we had alot of backing regarding resources and manpower.but communication between management and co workers was not great.
Pros
resources and manpower
Cons
long chain of command
Fun worlplace
Meter Reader Specialist (Current Employee) –  LondonSeptember 8, 2013
I have a very good team
I am aware of the local area and I understand the expectation of E.ON customers. Frequently I exceed my targets in my current job role. My ambition is to become a meter installer. I have good knowledge of meters and how they work. For that reason I would like to be considered for the above internal vacancy.
Pros
company van
interesting work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Москва, CENSeptember 24, 2013
Interned at Russia’s largest power generation company. Worked in the risk, planning, and controlling departments. Analyzed financial reports and documents in the risk assessment department. Created and maintained databases to project and track sales figures for power generation.
great job lots of exercise and oportunity to meet new people
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENGJune 10, 2015
the job of a meter reader is a really good job, unfortunately i was only agency and my time was cut short would love another chance on a permenant contract
Pros
loys of exercise with no boss watching over you
Cons
cold weather rude customers