EMC Insurance Employee Reviews

Ye olde insurance company
Application Developer 2 (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 8, 2017
EMC is a decent company to work for. The facilities are well kept and the other employees are rather nice. The benefits package is top notch, with ok 401k, super healthcare, and a pension system.
Employee advancement is sporadic. Most advancement is due to an old employee retiring. There are some departments that have much more turn over than others, and I wouldn't want to work for the manager of those departments.
It is a very stable company that is not prone to rounds of layoffs and hiring binges like other corporations in the area.
Corporate culture continues to lag behind the norms, It is very 1990's, still getting used to the idea of wearing polo's instead of suit coats.
Pros
Excelent healthcare, downtown location, stability
Cons
Stuck with old thinking, Some jobs have no advancment.
fast pace and innovative
Commercial Lines Rater (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIFebruary 16, 2017
love that I always have new things to learn. great teaching and coaching. very laid back and respectable employees. hard working people.
Family friendly company
Underwriting Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 13, 2017
EMC is a wonderful company to work for. Each department works together to provide great products for their customers. The company takes good care of their employees.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Great people to work with!
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 28, 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting applicants and working with coworkers. Great benefit package and great people! Love it!
Employment at EMC
Subrogation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 20, 2016
I really enjoyed my 3+ years working at EMC as a subrogation specialist. I learned a lot during my employment there. Specifically dealing with attorneys, engineers, and experts. I also got more hands on experience working property files. I really enjoyed the management at EMC while I was employed. I always knew I could approach my supervisor with any questions I may have. I also had a friendship with them outside of the office.
Life experience for 20 years.
Insurance rater (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace ILMay 1, 2016
Worked with many good people. Insurance rater on umbrella, auto and homeowner policies. Did changes, cancellations, phone contact with insurance agents. Switchboard, file room, assembled policies,sent faxes and emails.
Pros
Cons
Christmas parties, bonuses
EMC was a great place to work , family oriented culture.
CASUALTY CLAIMS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 20, 2016
I supervised casualty claim adjuster's, assigned new losses and audited files. I learned various aspects of commercial liability and the legal system. my co-workers were professional and dedicated. Management was very supportive and assisted in my development as an employee, The most difficult and enjoyable part of my job was the constant training and development of my team.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Maintaining proper staffing
Lots of red tape and office politics Bad morale
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 4, 2015
Reviewed new business applications for acceptability and pricing. Handled phone calls and emails from agents regarding coverage changes and coverage questions. Reviewed accounts for renewal retention and pricing. Visited agents' offices to promote company and new products.
Pros
Great Coworkers and agencies to work with
Cons
Extremely conservative approach to business, micromanagment
Nice place to work
Policy Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 10, 2015
Always kept busy doing different tasks, good pay, benefits. Worked 5 days a week. Leaned a lot on the job. Wasn't much place for advancement,.
EMC Insurance Company
Transcriptionist/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 5, 2015
My main job was Transcribing for the Claims Insurance Dept in Charlotte, NC. Although I did much more than that. Besides Transcribing Letters, Statements, Legal Documents, and other correspondence for about 8-9 Claims Adjusters, and Supervisor, I also performed Data Entry, Filing, Mass Copying for law suits, Mail, assisted with Accounts Receivable/Payable s when coworker was absent. I helped other coworkers with other task as needed when time permitted. I love staying busy.

I enjoyed my job and the challenge that it brought, taking care of several different adjusters, and my supervisor. I have always loved detailed work, and organizing is something that I have always been very good at. I am very detailed oriented and like everything exactly as it is suppose to be according to what I have been asked by my supervisor. I love to work alone, or I can work with groups. I am basically a person who is focused and enjoys responsibility along with helping out whenever possible.
Pros
Benefits, great people to work with, hours were great and pay. I enjoyed the work I did.
Cons
Short lunch break (30 min), coworkers spending most of their time on personal calls (non emergency).

Want to know more about EMC Insurance?

Ask a question
Great place to work for
Control Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 19, 2015
Very friendly environment and a great place to work for. Co-workers are supportive to new ideas leading to solutions for computer system issues.
Transcriptionist/Word Processor.
Transcriptionist/Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 5, 2015
Worked eight hours a day, transcribing correspondence, reports, and recorded statements. Continued to improve grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Co-workers were great - good atmosphere. No real hard part about job. Most enjoyable part - I love words.
Pros
Enjoyable/good salary and benefits
By far the best place I have ever worked!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 29, 2015
No kidding. I have worked at a couple of other companies, including another major insurance company, and EMC is at the top in all categories. What a relief and refreshing change to look forward to going to work at a place where the management actually cares about you, not only as an employee, but as a person. This includes all the managers and support people in the Home Office.
Pros
Stable work hours, great benefits, fantastic office location and caring leadership.
Cons
Some people who have worked here a long time have no idea how lucky they are to be here.
Good benefits
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 27, 2015
Insurance business is a valuable thing to learn. Many things in life you learn working close with good co-workers versus with the other. Loved working with my co-workers learning a lot from the 10 underwriters I worked with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough training
Advancement opportunities were available for growth. Work environment was very easy going.
Commercial Lines Rate Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIAugust 11, 2014
Promotions were obtained through diligent work. Many opportunities availble for you to explore and it was arranged for you to use work hours to obtain, education, training and coaching.
Pros
Breaks every 4 hours and company allowed hour lunch. Company functions were frequent.
Cons
Benefits and Compenstion was on a lower scale compared with other facilities of like function.
flexible hours
Litigation Adjuster (Former Employee) –  PhoenixJune 24, 2014
90% of files involved litigation. Received and review transfer files when suit was filed. Most of the time, my job involved working with local management and home office management. Completed large loss reports and evaluated exposure(s) in order to set appropriate reserves. Worked with defense counsel and attended mediations which involved a lot of traveling. Even though I did not work directly with my co-workers, it was a very friendly environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to travel.
Pros
very challenging
Cons
heavy work load
Wonderful career with this company.
Senior Claim's Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lansing MIMay 8, 2014
EMC was a great place to work. They promoted education and team work so that everyone, regardless of what department, worked together for the end result.
opportunity lost and not supported
Claims Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 20, 2014
quantity of work was above average but varied greatly between inside and outside department staffs which were kept separated rather than joined. When working away from office meeting customers and clients was most joyful part of the job but was reduced due to adjustments directed by management.
Quality benefits was second to none.
Pros
Benefits, caffeteria, wellness program
Cons
consistency between employees
Very demanding and stressful!
Rating Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 27, 2013
Prioritizing workload with constant demands for everything on your desk to be completed that day. Underwriters were eager to teach their knowledge of things.
Pros
the work hours
Cons
too much pressure
EMC Insurance (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 11, 2013
I have really enjoyed working at EMC. People are friendly and employees are treated well. My boss is very flexible to the needs of the employees within our department, making it easy to have a good work/life balance.
Pros
Exercise facility with many free classes offered everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EMC Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.