EMC Insurance Employee Reviews

Employee Beware
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 3, 2017
Good ol' boys network. Protect their own. Nepotism. Large work load with micromanagement in underwriting department. Des Moines branch - one underwriting dept great to work for another the worst. Supervisor with multiple complaints continues to work there due to nepotism.
Pros
Free parking, work out facility
Cons
Compensation, Nepotism.
Company Under Flux
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 10, 2017
EMC is a great company undergoing flux at local facilities. The company needs to establish goals and business practices that are universal within the corporation.
Pros
Corporate
Cons
Local flux
Great Company
Claims Assistant - Workers' Compensation (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 20, 2017
You are not a number with this company. Great product, great management. The company is growing and has more than enough work to provide.

The best part of working at EMC is that is that you know everyone and build relationships with agents, policy holders and claimants .
EMC - The best place to work in the midwest
Dev Ops Lead and Software QA Architect (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 11, 2017
EMC is one of the top companies to work for in the world. I highly recommend their work and value their work ethics. The management team goes out of its way to clear any roadblocks.
Pros
Best coworkers - collaborative
Cons
not enough time in the day to finish the work during final sprints
Good Employer
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 5, 2017
EMC was a great place to work, excellent benefits. Their technology is a bit outdated. I enjoyed my time with EMC due to the leaders and employees in my department.
Not the same company they used to be
Commercial Underwriter III (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMarch 21, 2017
Was a good company at the start but culture changed in recent years. Were good at employee development but not so much in recent years and do not reward hard working employees.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Low compensation compared to most companies
Ye olde insurance company
Application Developer 2 (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 8, 2017
EMC is a decent company to work for. The facilities are well kept and the other employees are rather nice. The benefits package is top notch, with ok 401k, super healthcare, and a pension system.
Employee advancement is sporadic. Most advancement is due to an old employee retiring. There are some departments that have much more turn over than others, and I wouldn't want to work for the manager of those departments.
It is a very stable company that is not prone to rounds of layoffs and hiring binges like other corporations in the area.
Corporate culture continues to lag behind the norms, It is very 1990's, still getting used to the idea of wearing polo's instead of suit coats.
Pros
Excelent healthcare, downtown location, stability
Cons
Stuck with old thinking, Some jobs have no advancment.
fast pace and innovative
Commercial Lines Rater (Current Employee) –  Brookfield, WIFebruary 16, 2017
love that I always have new things to learn. great teaching and coaching. very laid back and respectable employees. hard working people.
Family friendly company
Underwriting Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 13, 2017
EMC is a wonderful company to work for. Each department works together to provide great products for their customers. The company takes good care of their employees.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Great people to work with!
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 28, 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting applicants and working with coworkers. Great benefit package and great people! Love it!
Employment at EMC
Subrogation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 20, 2016
I really enjoyed my 3+ years working at EMC as a subrogation specialist. I learned a lot during my employment there. Specifically dealing with attorneys, engineers, and experts. I also got more hands on experience working property files. I really enjoyed the management at EMC while I was employed. I always knew I could approach my supervisor with any questions I may have. I also had a friendship with them outside of the office.
Life experience for 20 years.
Insurance rater (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace ILMay 1, 2016
Worked with many good people. Insurance rater on umbrella, auto and homeowner policies. Did changes, cancellations, phone contact with insurance agents. Switchboard, file room, assembled policies,sent faxes and emails.
Pros
Cons
Christmas parties, bonuses
EMC was a great place to work , family oriented culture.
CASUALTY CLAIMS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 20, 2016
I supervised casualty claim adjuster's, assigned new losses and audited files. I learned various aspects of commercial liability and the legal system. my co-workers were professional and dedicated. Management was very supportive and assisted in my development as an employee, The most difficult and enjoyable part of my job was the constant training and development of my team.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Maintaining proper staffing
Lots of red tape and office politics Bad morale
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 4, 2015
Reviewed new business applications for acceptability and pricing. Handled phone calls and emails from agents regarding coverage changes and coverage questions. Reviewed accounts for renewal retention and pricing. Visited agents' offices to promote company and new products.
Pros
Great Coworkers and agencies to work with
Cons
Extremely conservative approach to business, micromanagment
Nice place to work
Policy Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 10, 2015
Always kept busy doing different tasks, good pay, benefits. Worked 5 days a week. Leaned a lot on the job. Wasn't much place for advancement,.
EMC Insurance Company
Transcriptionist/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 5, 2015
My main job was Transcribing for the Claims Insurance Dept in Charlotte, NC. Although I did much more than that. Besides Transcribing Letters, Statements, Legal Documents, and other correspondence for about 8-9 Claims Adjusters, and Supervisor, I also performed Data Entry, Filing, Mass Copying for law suits, Mail, assisted with Accounts Receivable/Payable s when coworker was absent. I helped other coworkers with other task as needed when time permitted. I love staying busy.

I enjoyed my job and the challenge that it brought, taking care of several different adjusters, and my supervisor. I have always loved detailed work, and organizing is something that I have always been very good at. I am very detailed oriented and like everything exactly as it is suppose to be according to what I have been asked by my supervisor. I love to work alone, or I can work with groups. I am basically a person who is focused and enjoys responsibility along with helping out whenever possible.
Pros
Benefits, great people to work with, hours were great and pay. I enjoyed the work I did.
Cons
Short lunch break (30 min), coworkers spending most of their time on personal calls (non emergency).
Great place to work for
Control Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 19, 2015
Very friendly environment and a great place to work for. Co-workers are supportive to new ideas leading to solutions for computer system issues.
Transcriptionist/Word Processor.
Transcriptionist/Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 5, 2015
Worked eight hours a day, transcribing correspondence, reports, and recorded statements. Continued to improve grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Co-workers were great - good atmosphere. No real hard part about job. Most enjoyable part - I love words.
Pros
Enjoyable/good salary and benefits
By far the best place I have ever worked!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 29, 2015
No kidding. I have worked at a couple of other companies, including another major insurance company, and EMC is at the top in all categories. What a relief and refreshing change to look forward to going to work at a place where the management actually cares about you, not only as an employee, but as a person. This includes all the managers and support people in the Home Office.
Pros
Stable work hours, great benefits, fantastic office location and caring leadership.
Cons
Some people who have worked here a long time have no idea how lucky they are to be here.
Good benefits
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 27, 2015
Insurance business is a valuable thing to learn. Many things in life you learn working close with good co-workers versus with the other. Loved working with my co-workers learning a lot from the 10 underwriters I worked with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EMC Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.