ESL Federal Credit Union

ESL Federal Credit Union United States Employee Reviews

Great People
Senior Deposit Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Rochester, NYOctober 26, 2014
What makes ESL special is the people, a wonderful sense of taking care of others and striving for what's right for customers.
Nightmare
Teller (Former Employee), RochesterOctober 17, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: sales goals - pressure - no future - little recognition
They don't care about anything but sales sales sales... Too much pressure to meet sales goals, all they want is sales no matter how you do it.. I will never recommend anyone to work for ESL. I am ashamed of the working conditions. I went into this job with a high level of self-motivation and proven high performing sales ability. Every bit of your day is micromanaged as they suck every bit of sales out of you as possible. There is no longer any room for any intrinsic sales motivation, other than saving your job.
Too much politics of management. Management cares nothing about their employees. If you like sales and selling product to customers who don't need them with little recognition then this is your job. You will also need a friend or relative in a high position or kiss butt big time or you will have no future here.
““Leadership catastrophe ”"
Home Equity Closing Representative (Current Employee), Rochester, NYSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: senior management pumps you up with motivational fluffery and a few peanuts.
Cons: goals, stress, no leadership, sick culture, dictatorship, high turnover, spineless managers with no ambition to get ahead, employees treated as disposible trash
ESL is falling apart at the seams. The "happy" culture they promote is fake. CEO is out for himself and that permeates the whole organization. He is a bully that is not capable of listening or leading a credit union How he ever got this position is a great question? As soon as someone has a different idea than his, that person is escorted from the company. I have seen it time and time again. Management by fear. CEO is a dictator/bully and other senior people are intimidated by him. A lot of scared, spineless and angry people running the joint. Joyless place to come into every day. Like a morgue. Branches are also out of control and in turmoil. CEO Makes decisions to grow so he can lap up the attention from those in high places in the community/society. He loves the Limelight and attention. Loves to give credit union money away for recognition and personal ego building. By growing too much to fast chaos ensues and it is happening as I speak at ESL. Because of the fear culture and the chaos from growing too fast, everyone plays the blame game. Most of top execs are not qualified to run a bank this size. Ditto for the board of directors. Amateur hour.Total unorganization with leadership that can not lead or manage in branches or back office. ESL has a very long list of outstanding leaders/employees who have been let go for no reason and with no notice. Especially the CFO who was walked out last year. Not a way to run an organization. Its the CEO that has created this environment. Time to retire MR CEO.. What a work place you have created at ESL. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a heartless piece of work. You just do not care about your workers or Members. Its all about you.
non productive environment , hostile culture
Senior Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Rochester, NYSeptember 23, 2014
Cons: stress, changing schedules without notice
while working for ESL I was harassed by management , and while under his first 6 mos as an assit manager they had over 12 tellers quit or leave , and yet he was promoted . ?
Never recognized by district manager for sales . Was in the top 5 of the company while in there employ , top performer in the company > never recognized .

if you want experience and no recognition apply >
“Sell, Sell, Sell !!!! ”
Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Rochester NYSeptember 10, 2014
Cons: management needs to realize that the needs of those employees working below them should come first, in turn happy employees would do more for the company. managemnet totally disconected from company.
The management cares more about getting sales then anything else and will do any and everything to accomplish this. They don't care about the employee's which to me makes no sense since we are the ones on the front line. All about sales. If you did good they liked you if not look out. Quick turn over. Managers had favorites. Bad training, customers always complaining about service, mistakes and long lines. Typical corporate good old boy network. If you are a parent and don't have anyone to take your child when they are sick, forget about raises or promotions unless you are willing to sleep with someone. Changes are made regularly for the sake of change but may not make sense. To many managers. Not sure what they all do. People are promoted based on looks, flirting and kissing butt but not for hard work. Bonus is a freaking joke and and so is the company party. Employees are monitored and watched all the time. You are owned by the company. Nothing you do is good enough. Guard your back cause they are out to get you if you open your mouth and go against the grain. Very hard to trust anyone. I heard it worse in the back office.
Highly Sales Focused and Stressful Work Environment
Member Service Representative (Current Employee), Rochester New YorkAugust 6, 2014
Pros: the exit door to freedom
Cons: to many to list.. a work environment that is close to slavery.
Tough goals; from Teller to Banker to CSR to Manager. Customer service environment with an added pressure to sell sell sell sell. You are groomed into selling. Its all about selling. They make you thing you are doing the customer a favor by selling and building relationships. They coach you on selling. They have meetings on selling. The talk to you about seling and making goals. They tell you to sell or you are out the door with no mercy. They have graphs and charts to makes sales and goals. Its all about sales. They could care less about you the employee or the member. They are obsessed to the extreeme about sales. Its not worth the agrevation for the pay and no chance for advancement. The sales goals are not releastic and you are almost pushed to the edge of insanity from the stress. This is why we have unions in the USA.. One of ESL core vales is carring about people. Managemnet does not care. Its turn and burn employeee policy is out of control. Integrity is another ESL Core Value. What integrity is there when I am forced to sell a product to an 87 year old woman with alzheimers so I can meet goals and I know its the wrong thing to do for her. Then there is accountability. The managers at the top that are making these decision are not held accountable. They should be fired. This is not the way a credit uinion should be run or managed.
Shared Value while the employees get the boot?
Branch and Back Office (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 11, 2014
Pros: getting out of here as fast as i can. run run run to the door.
Cons: ceo needs to solve credit unions problems first. we have many. .
The CEO has now come up with another brainy Ideal. Shared Value? Solving the Economic and social problems in Rochester. CEO has hired a few managers for big bucks to handle this new venture. Just what we need more chiefs doing nothing. ESL has too many managers already that are dead wood. Very top heavy. ESL even hired a consulting firm for big bucks to help with this huge project of solving the cities problems. Just one problem, the credit union is falling apart. When will the CEO fix the credit Union? We have very high turnover, poor training, forced to make goals or be terminated, poor rates, poor products, very unhappy employees, we irritate customers with sales pushes all the time, we are understaffed at the branches and we are underpaid as well for having to be salespeople in addition to bankers, We are forced to sell while the CEO gives money to every community event, charity and sports team in town. What a vain CEO. He loves his photo opportunities and recognition. If only the community knew what a fool he was they may think twice about banking here. They can get more value at other financial institutions who care about their customers and employees. I hate working here. I am treated like trash. The purpose of a credit union is to serve members not solve social and economic problems and be supporting every charity in town. Its also to serve not force products down members throats that they do not need or want. There are days I wonder how this place runs? Why on earth does ESL need to hire more managers to solve social problems? Way to many already. The blind leading the blind and the CEO has major macular degeneration.
Start Here And Go No Place
Teller (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 1, 2014
Pros: getting terminated - the start of my growth
Cons: managemnet goals stress no advancement turnover
Not a place for talented agressive young educated people. You will be used, abused forced to make goals and them forced out the door. Your advancement potential is sololy dependent on your onnections or sucking up but not in anyway from your job performance. Most advance out the door in less than a year. The biggenst problem is that the managemnet does not care about you or the members. Its the drive to make goals and numbers that they are totaly consumed with. Its just sick. They have forgot why they are in business. I enjoyed my job at McDonalds more than ESL. At lest I was respected and was having some fun while going to college. No fun here. My college degree is wotrthless here. They are just looking to fill seats not long term employees. Its move them in and move them out like cattle. They just do not care. You have to wonder how long they can run a business like this before it all falls apart. I could not even sleep at night from the stress. Who need this BS for the pay? Its like working in a sweat shop. Ask others that have worked here before you get a job here. You have been warned. You will start at higher pay with more advancements opportunities and less stress at other financial institutions in town.
Working Here Is A Joke
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee), Rochester NYJune 2, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: horrible work environment that values greed and vanity rather than hard work and serving customers.
You are forced to make sales goals or be fired while the CEO is passing money out all over town and getting recognition. You will be taking advantage of the poor and elderly while the CEO gives a $100,000 to the food bank and a half million to the United Way.You will get little if any reward for being a predator but be able to keep your job. You are expendable and that's how you are treated. Little if any future or advancement for you. If this sounds great then apply at ESL. The truth.
Great place to Work
Collections Specialist (Current Employee), Rochester NyMay 23, 2014
ESL Federal Credit Union is a great place to work. They care about their employees and their customers. They go above and beyond to deliver a superior customer service.
“"DON'T WORK HERE!"”
Member Service Representative (Current Employee), Rochester New YorkApril 3, 2014
Pros: there are no pros other than getting a check while looking for another job!
Cons: too many to list.
The culture is evil but could be inviting to some who thrive in this environment. Management does not know how to communicate with employees. VP - Branch Center Director will not ever acknowledge you exist unless you are an Assistant Manager or higher. What would it take to just say hello or acknowledge you exist? Very arrogant, rude and vain just like many of the other upper managers who do the same thing. CEO on vanity trip. The managers have their favorites and it shows. Many termination notices every week from tellers to CFO. You never know who will be next in line for the ax. Very disorganized at corporate level all the time. Advancement and recognition based on who you know and how well you play the game and kiss up. Performance seems almost secondary. Most never advance as you will stay where you come in. ESL is a credit Union. It should be serving members but its serves management first. Backstabbing happens daily. Trust no one. You can not afford to have friends here as they may eat you alive. You must keep your mouth shut and speak to no one to survive.There is too much power in the hands of those that are really not qualified to be over people, lead or hire. Lots of mangers with very fancy titles at ESL, especially in HR. To bad their titles do not represent their management skills or intelligence. ESL could be a good place if not for much of management. The truly great managers/employees are gone that once made ESL great.
Enjoyable, fast paced company and field to be working in.
Teller (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 30, 2014
Most of my day was depending on the day was fast paced work, but surrounded by knowledgeable people. Throughout the day I would process teller transactions, identify member product or service gaps and make cross sell recommendations. I was consistently successfully perform cash drawer balancing. I have gained a lot of experience in working with people, and how to accommodate to their needs. My most enjoyable part of my job was working with other tellers to make the best out of each member's experience.
Not a nice place to work
Banker (Former Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: benifits/health isurance - they helped pay for my psychiatric visits
Cons: management is the big problem. those in charge are clueless on how to run a company
North Korean Style Management/Leadership ( Kim Jong Un ) at the top. Assassinations daily and erratic changes made all the time You never knew who would be executed next or what crazy management decision would be made out of the blue. Most made no sense. Stress Level in the ozone every day. I was on anti depression/anxiety medicine until I left. I worked in back office and the branches. The branches are worse. Manager/supervisors and fellow workers could not be trusted at all. A very sick environment to work in. There were days I did not want to get out of bed to go to work. The management has made it that way. You will make your goals or you will be gone. No exceptions. You could loose your mind here? ESL is at every Job Fair begging for workers. This says a lot. They even advance hire because so many quit or get fired . This keeps people in the pipeline ready to go. They can not keep help.
Highly Toxic Work Environment
Tele-Banker II- Call Center (Former Employee), Rochester New YorkFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: highly toxic work environment
Many of the reviews here on Indeed for ESL Federal Credit Union tell you what you do on a Typical day. Count money, work with customers, review mail, balancing cash and answer phones. A typical day. We all know what you do at a bank daily or in an office environment. How about how you are treated? Advancement? Stress? Managers? Training? The training was ok but not the best. You will most likley not advance at ESL but leave for another job unless you have contacts. Very High Stress level daily with goals. Managers are a joke. Very unprofessional in how the treat employees. Working at ESL was like being a slave. I felt used and abused. I dreaded to come to work daily. Managers/supervisiors very unqualified and had favorites and they made it known. They loved to play head games. Not an enjoyable work environment. I had no fun here. You will be watched and monitored daily. A fish bowl environment. Very poorly managed organization to work for!! Not many long term employees.
Poor Place to work
CSR in Call Center (Former Employee), Rochester NYJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: new building
Cons: sick culture- trust no one- high turnover-goals-stress-poor leadership
Sick culture. Constant backstabbing. You never know who is going to be terminated next. It's always someone, which causes a high degree of paranoia and "looking over your shoulder". Trust no-one, because almost no-one can be trusted. Arbitrary changes to departments, usually poorly planned. Management only cares about goals not employees or customers. ESL is good at 'dangling carrots' to get results, but if you have any sense of decency, you see through it pretty quickly. I found that my sense of right and wrong was tested by the need to meet goals to satisfy management. I loved helping my members, but could not in good conscience 'force' loans or long-term products to people simply to make myself look good. I found another job that truly allows me to help people without having to make myself look big for my boss' benefit. Less stress + not compromising my values = happier person. Very satanic culture at ESL. If you can survive in this environment you could be a candidate for Satan. Many just quit. Those with integrity that question leadership are usually forced out, many are fired and some are just burned out from the nonsense. The leadership is the major problem at this Credit Union.
Summary
Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Long Pond BranchDecember 26, 2013
Pros: on the spot recognition, employee of the month and other perks.
Cons: health care (hsa)
A typical day at the credit union is very busy. We come in a half hour ealier than we open and have a lot of duties that need to be completed before we open the branch for the day. These duties can include filling cash dispensers, alarm test and other audit procedures that need to be completed. I have held a lot of differant positions within the branch in the last 9 years that I have been employed at ESL. I have learned how to adapt to my surroundings. I know that not everyone has the same personality and that I have to adapt to each individuall. The banking industry is forever changing and the hardest part of the job is keeping compliant with the current policy and procedures. The management team does a very good job keeping the team updated as needed. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the member leave satisfied with the service I gave them. I always take pride in customer service and I give everyone my full attention. At the end of the day I enjoy leaving for the day that I know I did my best.
Proficiate with counting currancy
Teller (Former Employee), Rochester, NYOctober 2, 2013
Helping customers with their banking needs. Balancing cash drawer and helping coworkers balance their cash drawer. Great team players we always helped each other.
enjoyed working with the people
Mortgage Closing Representative / Notary Public (Former Employee), Rochester, NYSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: company annual party
Cons: working 14 hour days for 4 years straight
Very Busy office
Co-workers were always helpful
Typical day was work at a high paced environment, answered phones, reviewed mail, prepared documents, review figures, calling attorneys to complete closing docs. Prepared mortgage docs for closings. Faciliated the closings reviewing, explaining and notarizing documents. Be sure when customer left the table they were happy with the experience.
hardest part of job was time management. had to be very detailed oriented to complete all facets of the position
Most enjoyable part of the job was the smiles on the customers face when they were all done with the mortgage closing. Having them be happy and sometimes even getting a hug.
interesting
Tele-Banker II- Call Center (Former Employee), Rochester New YorkJune 4, 2013
Learned how to manage accounts and make recommendations based on members need

June 16, 2013

The are all fake comments.

I loved banking but was only part time
Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMay 13, 2013
I loved it at ESL, except I was only working Part Time and Full time never came up as often as I wanted it to

ESL Federal Credit Union Salaries