ESL Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to work for some but not a "great place to work" for others
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 2, 2016
My co-workers were nice, hardworking/overworked people for the most part. Many long-term employees in some positions (25+ year tenure not uncommon) but high turnover in others.
Pros
New building, very pleasant surroundings, free downtown parking. Decent compensation, annual profit sharing/bonus to all employees. Many social/company events for employee involvement.
Cons
A know-your-role culture for Executive Assistants, EAs are not members of the team they support, EAs are categorized as a 'service' reporting to a manager of facility services, Treated as 'service' both outwardly and clandestinely, Expectation that EA be submissive and happy to be so
A decent place to work
Senior Data Architect/DBA (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 24, 2016
The culture at ESL is very difficult to become a part of. Management does not document expectations. Good learning environment. very good and friendly peers,
Great Place to Work
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 15, 2016
Great company to work for. They provide great benefits that start right away. With the exception of having to work most Saturdays there isn't much else to dislike.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Work Saturdays
Titanic - “Sinking ship ”
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Horrible pay and leadership. They had to pay an outside company big bucks to come in and say 3/4 of the people were way under paid. Then they gave you a measly raise. Also those who did not do anything last year. You get promoted if you are part of the clicks if not you were over looked. The HR department has the most mangers of any other section though they have no subordinates and do the least amount of work. ESL has so many managers its a joke. Like Kodak use to be. You wonder what they all do? It's very sad people are fired randomly for looking the wrong way. Even management has become a revolving door. Things are not what they used to be. It's very reminiscent of Auschwitz concentration camp. Run like North Korea.
Pros
Not many. ESL has become a horrible place to work.
Cons
Give promotions to people based on merit not on who they are friends with or related to.
Looks good from the outside
Back Office (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 14, 2016
Benefits and pay are good. Management is lackluster at best. Promotions given to unqualified people who brown noes the right Sr. Management. Buyer beware, things are not always what they seem.
“Stay away, ESL is changing for the worse. ”
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 11, 2015
Well, where do I start. I left a good job at another place to come work here. I thought there would be a good opportunity but boy was I wrong. The management at ESL is very cutthroat and people are always being fired or leaving. They don't understand that many of their managers and supervisors are really over their heads and do not have actual management skills. I unfortunately got one of those managers supervisors. I guess it is a lesson learned.
Pros
Downtown and indoor parking
Cons
Managemnet is poor. ESL can not keep help and they do not care. Like no one is in control.
Nightmare
Teller (Former Employee) –  RochesterOctober 17, 2014
They don't care about anything but sales sales sales... Too much pressure to meet sales goals, all they want is sales no matter how you do it.. I will never recommend anyone to work for ESL. I am ashamed of the working conditions. I went into this job with a high level of self-motivation and proven high performing sales ability. Every bit of your day is micromanaged as they suck every bit of sales out of you as possible. There is no longer any room for any intrinsic sales motivation, other than saving your job.
Too much politics of management. Management cares nothing about their employees. If you like sales and selling product to customers who don't need them with little recognition then this is your job. You will also need a friend or relative in a high position or kiss butt big time or you will have no future here.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
sales goals - pressure - no future - little recognition
Not a nice place to work
Banker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 28, 2014
North Korean Style Management/Leadership ( Kim Jong Un ) at the top. Assassinations daily and erratic changes made all the time You never knew who would be executed next or what crazy management decision would be made out of the blue. Most made no sense. Stress Level in the ozone every day. I was on anti depression/anxiety medicine until I left. I worked in back office and the branches. The branches are worse. Manager/supervisors and fellow workers could not be trusted at all. A very sick environment to work in. There were days I did not want to get out of bed to go to work. The management has made it that way. You will make your goals or you will be gone. No exceptions. You could loose your mind here? ESL is at every Job Fair begging for workers. This says a lot. They even advance hire because so many quit or get fired . This keeps people in the pipeline ready to go. They can not keep help.
Pros
Benifits/Health Isurance - They helped pay for my psychiatric visits
Cons
Management is the big problem. Those in charge are clueless on how to run a company
"Great People" Exiting In large Numbers- Voluntary or Involuntary
Manager (Former Employee) –  RochesterOctober 31, 2014
Many great employees quitting or getting fired daily. Lots of very special and wonderful employes being put in the street from stress, goals, politics, backstabbing and poor management. Wonderful sense of shoving products down customers throats that are not needed as well as striving for what is wrong for the customer so you can keep your job. A culture like no other that is sick to the core. ESL is at every job fair begging for workers. I wonder why?. This is what makes ESL so special.
Highly Toxic Work Environment
Tele-Banker II- Call Center (Former Employee) –  Rochester New YorkFebruary 11, 2014
Many of the reviews here on Indeed for ESL Federal Credit Union tell you what you do on a Typical day. Count money, work with customers, review mail, balancing cash and answer phones. A typical day. We all know what you do at a bank daily or in an office environment. How about how you are treated? Advancement? Stress? Managers? Training? The training was ok but not the best. You will most likley not advance at ESL but leave for another job unless you have contacts. Very High Stress level daily with goals. Managers are a joke. Very unprofessional in how the treat employees. Working at ESL was like being a slave. I felt used and abused. I dreaded to come to work daily. Managers/supervisiors very unqualified and had favorites and they made it known. They loved to play head games. Not an enjoyable work environment. I had no fun here. You will be watched and monitored daily. A fish bowl environment. Very poorly managed organization to work for!! Not many long term employees.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Highly Toxic Work Environment
Poor Place to work
CSR in Call Center (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYJanuary 10, 2014
Sick culture. Constant backstabbing. You never know who is going to be terminated next. It's always someone, which causes a high degree of paranoia and "looking over your shoulder". Trust no-one, because almost no-one can be trusted. Arbitrary changes to departments, usually poorly planned. Management only cares about goals not employees or customers. ESL is good at 'dangling carrots' to get results, but if you have any sense of decency, you see through it pretty quickly. I found that my sense of right and wrong was tested by the need to meet goals to satisfy management. I loved helping my members, but could not in good conscience 'force' loans or long-term products to people simply to make myself look good. I found another job that truly allows me to help people without having to make myself look big for my boss' benefit. Less stress + not compromising my values = happier person. Very satanic culture at ESL. If you can survive in this environment you could be a candidate for Satan. Many just quit. Those with integrity that question leadership are usually forced out, many are fired and some are just burned out from the nonsense. The leadership is the major problem at this Credit Union.
Pros
New building
Cons
Sick culture- Trust no one- High Turnover-Goals-Stress-Poor leadership
Working Here Is A Joke
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYJune 2, 2014
You are forced to make sales goals or be fired while the CEO is passing money out all over town and getting recognition. You will be taking advantage of the poor and elderly while the CEO gives a $100,000 to the food bank and a half million to the United Way.You will get little if any reward for being a predator but be able to keep your job. You are expendable and that's how you are treated. Little if any future or advancement for you. If this sounds great then apply at ESL. The truth.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Horrible work environment that values greed and vanity rather than hard work and serving customers.
“Sell, Sell, Sell !!!! ”
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYSeptember 10, 2014
The management cares more about getting sales then anything else and will do any and everything to accomplish this. They don't care about the employee's which to me makes no sense since we are the ones on the front line. All about sales. If you did good they liked you if not look out. Quick turn over. Managers had favorites. Bad training, customers always complaining about service, mistakes and long lines. Typical corporate good old boy network. If you are a parent and don't have anyone to take your child when they are sick, forget about raises or promotions unless you are willing to sleep with someone. Changes are made regularly for the sake of change but may not make sense. To many managers. Not sure what they all do. People are promoted based on looks, flirting and kissing butt but not for hard work. Bonus is a freaking joke and and so is the company party. Employees are monitored and watched all the time. You are owned by the company. Nothing you do is good enough. Guard your back cause they are out to get you if you open your mouth and go against the grain. Very hard to trust anyone. I heard it worse in the back office.
Pros
none, none, none, none, none
Cons
Management needs to realize that the needs of those employees working below them should come first, in turn happy employees would do more for the company. Managemnet totally disconected from company.
ESL Federal Credit Union
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 26, 2015
Its banking only different. Member and employee focused is the theory behind the company. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Was not fond of the corporate structure and the constant meetings to review, recommend and approve things that needed to be done. Everyone had to have a say in the process. Thus slowing projects and increasing timelines. You could not do much without having a meeting to discuss it over and over again. Trying to add headcount to front-line staff needs was nearly impossible. Benefits were great. They have a 401k, pension plan and yearly bonus for all employees if the company achieved it's goals.
Job Searcher Beware!
Home Equity Processor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 30, 2013
Very poorly managed organization to work for!! I observed bullying and work discrimination in the department during my time there as an employee. I sadly learned that some of the smiling faces of the supervisors/managment there are not at all who they initially portray themselves to be, and further demonstrated their inability to manage and control the behaviour of their staff.

*Not a recommended job choice environment to consider!
Benefits
Cons
Supervisors/Management-work place conduct
“"Don't work here!"”
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester New YorkApril 3, 2014
The culture is evil but could be inviting to some who thrive in this environment. Management does not know how to communicate with employees. VP - Branch Center Director will not ever acknowledge you exist unless you are an Assistant Manager or higher. What would it take to just say hello or acknowledge you exist? Very arrogant, rude and vain just like many of the other upper managers who do the same thing. CEO on vanity trip. The managers have their favorites and it shows. Many termination notices every week from tellers to CFO. You never know who will be next in line for the ax. Very disorganized at corporate level all the time. Advancement and recognition based on who you know and how well you play the game and kiss up. Performance seems almost secondary. Most never advance as you will stay where you come in. ESL is a credit Union. It should be serving members but its serves management first. Backstabbing happens daily. Trust no one. You can not afford to have friends here as they may eat you alive. You must keep your mouth shut and speak to no one to survive.There is too much power in the hands of those that are really not qualified to be over people, lead or hire. Lots of mangers with very fancy titles at ESL, especially in HR. To bad their titles do not represent their management skills or intelligence. ESL could be a good place if not for much of management. The truly great managers/employees are gone that once made ESL great.
Pros
There are no pros other than getting a check while looking for another job!
Cons
Too many to list.
enjoyed working with the people
Mortgage Closing Representative / Notary Public (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 18, 2013
Very Busy office
Co-workers were always helpful
Typical day was work at a high paced environment, answered phones, reviewed mail, prepared documents, review figures, calling attorneys to complete closing docs. Prepared mortgage docs for closings. Faciliated the closings reviewing, explaining and notarizing documents. Be sure when customer left the table they were happy with the experience.
hardest part of job was time management. had to be very detailed oriented to complete all facets of the position
Most enjoyable part of the job was the smiles on the customers face when they were all done with the mortgage closing. Having them be happy and sometimes even getting a hug.
Pros
Company annual party
Cons
working 14 hour days for 4 years straight
Summary
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Long Pond BranchDecember 26, 2013
A typical day at the credit union is very busy. We come in a half hour ealier than we open and have a lot of duties that need to be completed before we open the branch for the day. These duties can include filling cash dispensers, alarm test and other audit procedures that need to be completed. I have held a lot of differant positions within the branch in the last 9 years that I have been employed at ESL. I have learned how to adapt to my surroundings. I know that not everyone has the same personality and that I have to adapt to each individuall. The banking industry is forever changing and the hardest part of the job is keeping compliant with the current policy and procedures. The management team does a very good job keeping the team updated as needed. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the member leave satisfied with the service I gave them. I always take pride in customer service and I give everyone my full attention. At the end of the day I enjoy leaving for the day that I know I did my best.
Pros
On the spot recognition, employee of the month and other perks.
Cons
Health care (HSA)
Fun and Employer cares about each employee
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 20, 2013
Greats place to work or begin a career. Great working environment.
Pros
benefits for full-time and part-time employees
non productive environment , hostile culture
Senior Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 23, 2014
while working for ESL I was harassed by management , and while under his first 6 mos as an assit manager they had over 12 tellers quit or leave , and yet he was promoted . ?
Never recognized by district manager for sales . Was in the top 5 of the company while in there employ , top performer in the company > never recognized .

if you want experience and no recognition apply >
Cons
stress, changing schedules without notice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ESL Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8