ESL

ESL Employer Reviews

Good Community College
Instructor (Former Employee), Nelsonville, OHJuly 2, 2014
Pros: college was close to home; students were motivated
Cons: not enough work for me
A typical day at work would be to go to my office and prepare lessons for the two classes I taught. The classes were different levels in ESL Speaking and Listening. I would grade speeches and participation of students. I learned how students from Saudi Arabia and China learn and what difficulties each student had in speaking English. Classes were small – more... (5-10 students) so managing them was easy. Co-workers were helpful. The most difficult part of my job was to grade students on their ability to speak English. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see my students' creativity in their speeches. – less
Teaching ESL in Korea
ESL Teacher (Former Employee), South KoreaJune 17, 2014
Pros: 2000 month salary, free housing, great food
Cons: its hard for koreans to communicate english as they teach it for business purpposes
This was a good opportunity and it was great to live in Korea. I will admit it is more like you are a mascot there then a teacher. But the culture listens to you and students are a lot better then in the USA.
Interesting dynamic work environment
Instructor FLS International (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 12, 2014
Learned how to manage multiple classes and levels at once.
Significant level of responsibility.
Interested and inspiring students.
Interesting Adventure
Instructor & Trainer (Former Employee), Taizhou Jiangsu , Clong EducationJune 9, 2014
Pros: free housing
Cons: working conditions
Working for an ESL school in China has its challenges. The business culture is incredibly different and you never know what is expected of you . Guidelines for work are unclear and management is often dishonest. It was a good learning experience though, you learn how to function in a different professional environment.
Productive and rewarding
Student Intern, Half Hollow Hills High School East (Current Employee), Dix Hills, NYMay 28, 2014
Working at the High School is very rewarding my supervisor was passionate about helping students learn. The staff is professional and really aids the students throughout the academic career. The most enjoyable part is seeing the students who went to college come back and are grateful to the teachers for motivating and investing in their future.
Enjoyed co-workers and most projects assigned
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee), Sunnyvale, CAMay 8, 2014
ESL did not always afford me the opportunity to learn new things but I enjoyed most of the projects I was assigned to. There was no travel assignments and that would have been enjoyable.
Fun place to work
Teacher/Coordinator and Testing Coordinator (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 2, 2014
very flexible with my time and no stress at all. easy to apply my skills where i work
Great but lots of hardships
Specialist (Current Employee), Bronx, NYApril 24, 2014
Great but lots of hardships. There is a big problem with time to prep and number of students. There is also very little pay.
Excellent School
TEACHER - INTERMEDIATE (Former Employee), ArizonaApril 10, 2014
Pros: relationships with children and their families.
Cons: salary.
Excellent School. Teaches and prepares children above and beyond expectation. Responsible and involved parents. Intelligent and well mannered children.
Great working environment
Instructor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CaliforniaApril 9, 2014
Pros: instructed students from different countries
Cons: hours not guaranteed
Developed academically orientated lesson plans instructing an array of levels from beginners to advanced. Great supportive staff.
Great place to work with. Instructing and communicating between instructors and students
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 7, 2014
Pros: students always attentive and eager to learn.
Cons: short handed and understaffed department
Working and translating English to Spanish whenever needed to instruct newcomer students entering the American School systems.
A great place to serve the public at most need
Program Technician (Current Employee), Woodland, CAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: learning environment
Cons: benefits
I grew up in this job. I learned how to interact with the general public from defferent cultural backgrounds.
ESL students
ESL Teacher (Former Employee), Alexander countyMarch 13, 2014
ESL students require a special type of teacher. They require one who is not only there to teach them new material, but one whole will also introduce them to a new culture were very soon they too will become part of. I know what they are going through, I too was one of them when I also came from Ecuador to live here. Many of my students have asked me – more... on how I feel living in this country and do I miss the country were I am from. This is an easy question for me because I have answered it so many times. I tell them you adapt without ever knowing it's taking place. I tell them about my experience as I use it as a vehicle to learning English. That is to say I use any curiosity that my students may have as a motivator for the next lesson. There are no wrong answers in our classroom. Everything that that student brings to our classroom will be utilized to help elevate our learning experience. In our classroom we label all items that we see in there. We dramatize any situation we may be discussing whether it would be a book or a situation that has taken place at school. Everything that takes place in our classroom turns into a vehicle to learning English. We read, we write, we listen and speak in English and we practice it all day as we progress in all these areas. – less
Meeting students from various countries and teaching them was fun and a challenge!
Instructor (Former Employee), Hudson County Community CollegeMarch 8, 2014
12 hours a week - that was easy!
Met a lot of people and made some friends.
Enjoyed working with students from Guatemala, Colombia, Honduras, Cuba, Dominican Republic - you name it!
No health insurance - that was a minus!
Amazing experience teaching ESL
Teacher (Former Employee), Noida, UPFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: cultural difference, my students and my director
Cons: far from home
I went to India for a few months to teach ESL.
I took a summer Hindi and Urdu course at IU, after completing the course I applied for teaching jobs in India.
Day to day tasks included:
Worked with students ages 9-12.
Used classroom observations to create written assessments of student performance.
Worked with interdisciplinary team members to evaluate – more... children's progress and recommend appropriate learning plans.
Fostered reasoning and problem solving through active exploration games and activities. – less
Productive and fun workplace with many diverse students eager to learn the English language
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Kent, OhioFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: over 80 part-time esl instructors, no healthcare, shared office space
I love working in the ESL Center at Kent State University because I thoroughly enjoy my students. It is so rewarding to come to class with them everyday. I enjoy the flexibility of my schedule, allowing me to tutor my students if they need additional help and grade on my own time. My director is very open-minded and supportive and my co-workers are – more... all around their mid-20's. The hardest part of the job is teaching lower level students because explanations can be difficult, but the most enjoyable part is watching their progress throughout the modules and seeing their smiles when they are able to communicate in English in a way they never thought possible. – less
I enjoy working with adult students in the educational setting.
Teacher Facilitator (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: i love the flexibility of my work hours.
Cons: none i can think of.
My job responsibilities consist of registering and placement testing of adult students, recording attendance, compiling records, teaching classes if necessary, and overall monitoring the daily operation of the GED/ESL program sites. I have been responsible for training Teacher Facilitators and conducting ICA Training for Adult Ed staff.
Career/Business Institute that provides remedial education and career preparedness
Adjunct Instructor, Long Island Business Institute (Current Employee), Queens, NYDecember 24, 2013
Teach Fundamental Reading and Fundamental Grammar
at this college preparatory and business institute to adult learners.
I truly enjoy working at ELS Language Academy, Adelphi.
Instructor (Current Employee), Garden City, NYDecember 12, 2013
The ELS Language Academy is a productive and fun place. I truly enjoy a friendly environment. The staff is very helpful and supportive. The Academic Advisor is a competent professional.
High Intensity, Various age rage of students
Instructor (Current Employee), Wonju-si, Gangwon-do, South KoreaNovember 15, 2013
My current job is an English Hagwon in South Korea. I teach two classes, three hours each, five days a week. The students range in age from 8 through 16. I was expected to prepare lessons, write student reviews, and attend regular staff meetings.

Through this job I learned how to be a more effective teacher. I also learned about a new culture and learned – more... how to adapt and perform to the expectations of that culture. – less

1 2 3 4 5