ESL

ESL Employer Reviews

I've enjoyed teaching ESL in all these job experiences.
Teacher, Tutor (Current Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 15, 2014
Pros: meeting and learning about other cultures and languages, fun, relational, challenging, educational
Cons: open classroom - not knowing how many new and regular students will show up, multi-level classrooms
I have really enjoyed teaching ESL in a variety of roles: in a public school, with children, with adults in the classroom and in their homes.

I have learned that there is no typical day when teaching English as a another language because every student is unique, every classroom is different. I have learned to be very flexible with teaching resources, – more... teaching methods and bend according to the needs of the students and classroom.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people from other countries, cultures, and languages, and sometimes tasting foods from their country.

It is most rewarding when you see the students eyes light up and connect with what you are teaching, when you see them progress and begin using the language they are learning. The most challenging and yet rewarding is when I am able to teach everyone at every level in the same classroom. – less
Productive, fun workplace, lots of learning experience which helped me advance and develop my skills over the 13 years.
Instructor (Former Employee), CairoNovember 12, 2014
Pros: free workshops and work advancement
Cons: far away from my place.
A typical day at work starts at 9.00am till 12.00pm one class of English as a second language with 20 students.
Teaching all the skills: vocabulary, pronunciation, listening, reading, writing, grammar, solving exercises and teaching the students a conversation or a role play or dividing them into teams or couples to solve together and then consolidate – more... and correct at the end as a group correction in class.
Teaching for an hour and 15min.
then 15min. break,
then continue for an hour and 30min.
The class used to be twice a week = 6 hours per week for 6 weeks which made up 36 hours of teaching.
Management: was very organized, materials books and audio were prepared, also quizzes and final tests were prepared.
Hardest part: encourage adult students who are shy to try to speak English, but they were only a few.
Most enjoyable part. is to go into class and teach, teaching is like a magical therapy where you forget all about your outside world and get involved into communicating with your students.
Most rewarding part: receiving good news and achievement of your students.
Over the 13 years working and being an ESL Instructor was very rewarding to me when I feel I had a positive print in my students' lives and careers. – less
voluntter in the senior center
coach, dining room helper, Selfhelp Senior Center (Former Employee), NYNovember 11, 2014
Teach senior Engliah, most of seniors are Chinese. And sometimes, do some kitchen stuff.
Productive...
assistant / Arabic Translator (Current Employee), Rutherford County / TNNovember 8, 2014
Pros: i get free life insurance
Cons: i do not get paid in the fall, winter, sping breaks, and the summer vacation.
It's a good work environment, Love it , and enjoy it ! worked hard for it.. I enjoyed helping all students who struggle in the Language, and helping all parents understand everything about their kids education.
My co-workers are awesome, my boss is great! Nothing hard to me in my job , except of lots of translating requests from all schools, arranging – more... parent-teacher conferences , and jumping there to interpret. All of this on top of my full day schedule at my assigned school. I am doing two jobs at a time , and still can do it ! can do it ! can do it ! – less
I work on my own, so my opinions are subjective
Instructor (Former Employee), Crystal Lake, IllinoisNovember 4, 2014
Pros: set your own schedule, find curriculum for individual needs
Cons: no benefits
I am often employed by search companies to tutor corporate clients and need to assess their abilities and find out their goals. I am given a bank of hours to work with and set about devising a curriculum based on the client's needs. Often we work on a unit for a couple months a couple times a week, such as how to get a job including writing a resume, – more... cover letter, interviewing including role play and so on.

This is very rewarding work. I always use a pronunciation workbook as well and shape my mouth to show how things are spoken as I think this is also very important.

One on One work produces astonishing results if your client is co-operative and you keep them engaged. The hardest part is picking the correct supplemental material out of the bounty out there. – less
Some fun with both students and staff.
BUSINESS ENGLISH CONSULTANT (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 29, 2014
The hardest part of the job was seeing students go on to either a local university/college and the work force.
Productive and great place to work
GED Adult Education Instructor (Current Employee), Kankakee, ILOctober 12, 2014
Pros: proactive students
Cons: number of hours worked
I enjoy working as an ESL and GED Instructor. I have learned so much just being a part of the educational process for adults who are on track to succeed in attaining their GED.
(My review is basically the same as previously.)
Instructor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: the director is flexible and we get paid during holidays.
Cons: hours are limited, as are resources.
I construct lessons to meet the needs of students and modify or adjust lessons as needed because we currently have no time limit on when a person can enter the program.
Students are mostly low beginners, beginners, and intermediates.
They work on greetings, grammar, pronunciation, and the basics such as numbers, vowels, consonants, directions. They – more... are learning the parts of speech and are becoming familiar with prepositional phrases. We have used Easy English News (for ESL students) and use material from online, brief articles in the news, and miscellaneous handouts that may include pictures for beginners.
Students do some work in pairs where they have to use English, and write sentences using vocabulary we learned in a lesson.
Our site is small, so I don't have many coworkers. I get along with them and have received advice and input from them relating to the class that will help facilitate our advancement.
The hardest part of the job is communicating to students who are level zero and who cannot read or write in their own language.
The most enjoyable part is seeing them learn how to use what they've been taught in sentences with me and other students who don't speak their language. (The class consists of Spanish, African, and Middle Eastern students.) – less
Project Management Assistant
Assistant (Former Employee), Provo, UTSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: excellent company, high achievers
Cons: low pay
A typical day at work: Conference Call with clients headquarters office in Norway. Review plans specifications, receive bid documents from contractors, doing comparison matrix to select contractors. visiting clients daily and make sure that all the contractors perform duties as mentioned in management services proposal.
what you learned: To Manage contractors, – more... meet deadlines, ask questions to clients to meet their exact expectations

your co-workers: Great support, high achievers
the hardest part of the job : Learning tons of material
the most enjoyable part of the job: Having several clients and being lead by a team of extremely capable individuals. – less
Love the kids
ESL/Reading Elective/Inclusion Teacher (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great schedule
Cons: school closing/reopening
Especially enjoyed teaching the newcomers--had some wonderful kids. I also loved doing ESL inclusion and got to spend time helping students with reading and writing skills.
ESL Teaching
Teacher (Former Employee), Yakima, WASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: short hours
Cons: no healthcare
It is fun to connect with college students. I found that college students are much easier to teach. It is always up beat and fun.
Productive and reliable
Teacher-English as a Second Language (Current Employee), Ponce, PRAugust 25, 2014
I cannot rate the company because I've not had the chance to find any work but it seems like a serious organization.
Productive and fun workplace.
Instructor (Current Employee), Queens, NYAugust 14, 2014
Productive and fun workplace.
Working with ESL students. Leading activities. Grading students. Teaching reading, writing, listening and speraking skills.
Good school with an advanced Dual program
Student Teacher, P.S 20 M (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 13, 2014
Pros: location- lower east side
P.S. 20 M has a well-developed Mandarin-English Dual Language program, which provides its students with daily instructions in both languages and covers most of the content areas.
to get along withy the students
Teacher (Former Employee), central falls Rhode islandAugust 12, 2014
Pros: no lunch
Cons: short breaks
teach the best to the students so that they can improve what they have learned...
I loved this job
ESL/Reading Elective/Inclusion Teacher (Former Employee), Garcia Middle School, Austin, TXAugust 12, 2014
Pros: less testing pressure
Cons: jobs that aren't staar tested are often not taken seriously
This was not a standard teaching position. I taught 7th & 8th grade reading to ELLS and a newcomers class. The other classes were ESL inclusion in 6th and 7th grade ELA classes.
Ethical
Integrated Technology/ Technical Support (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 11, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Everyone was ethical and wonderful. The spirit of the place was of God!
Great place to work!
ESL GED Math Instructor and Adult ESL (Current Employee), HoustonJuly 12, 2014
Pros: esl classes usually make.
Cons: due for a raise and difficult to get full-time!
I have really enjoyed teaching Adult ESL classes for HCCS. Pay is not bad, but due for a raise.
Good Community College
Instructor (Former Employee), Nelsonville, OHJuly 2, 2014
Pros: college was close to home; students were motivated
Cons: not enough work for me
A typical day at work would be to go to my office and prepare lessons for the two classes I taught. The classes were different levels in ESL Speaking and Listening. I would grade speeches and participation of students. I learned how students from Saudi Arabia and China learn and what difficulties each student had in speaking English. Classes were small – more... (5-10 students) so managing them was easy. Co-workers were helpful. The most difficult part of my job was to grade students on their ability to speak English. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see my students' creativity in their speeches. – less
Teaching ESL in Korea
ESL Teacher (Former Employee), South KoreaJune 17, 2014
Pros: 2000 month salary, free housing, great food
Cons: its hard for koreans to communicate english as they teach it for business purpposes
This was a good opportunity and it was great to live in Korea. I will admit it is more like you are a mascot there then a teacher. But the culture listens to you and students are a lot better then in the USA.

1 2 3 4 5