Earthbound Trading Co. Employee Reviews

low pay, no advancement
Sales associate (Former Employee), southeastMarch 20, 2015
Pros: good coworkers
Cons: everything else
Sales Associate for two years. Constantly passed over promotion from within to hire inexperienced people to be your boss and have you train them. Store manager was great. DM was unsupportive and straight out hostile at times. Their bonus system is a joke. Don't make goal? Your fault. Prepare to have your already dismal hours cut. About 12 hours a week. Sometimes 8. Minimum wage. They would pay you less if they could.
Fun and informative working environment
Retail Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee), Hot Springs, ARFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits and employees
Cons: communication errors and management issues
A typical day would be greeting and conversing with tourists and other customers. It was exciting to meet and help so many different individuals in a day! I learned how to be myself at this job. I was taught to mingle with customers, inform them of our products, and make a sale. I enjoyed meeting all of my co-workers, they were very polite and helpful. I hardest part of my job was probably losing it. I really enjoyed my job in Arkansas, but due to my transfer from the Arkansas store to the Illinois store I unfortunately had some communication problems with the new store and lost my job. In the Arkansas store, though, absolutely everything about my job was enjoyable!
Awesome and friendly but not ideal
Associate (Former Employee), Jonesboro, ARFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: discounts (50%) meeting interesting people, learning about international cultures
Cons: varying hours, management flaws, unfair sales
It is nice to get to know a lot of different people and be immersed in different cultures. This job really opened me up to new and interesting things that normally someone wouldn't come in contact with. I learned a lot about how to approach a customer friendly, how to make them comfortable as well as relaying information about products. Although it is a good place to work, management seems to be a little off in terms of how sales goals are made. Managers will get all sales until their goals are met, and only after will you work towards your goal. This works when it is done properly- everyone that needs to will make their goal. It is not a fair way of showing who is selling and who isnt, which does not reflect accurately to higher ups. You have to make a big sale and ask the manager to put it on you for you to get credit. Most of the time, the manager does not sell, but does cashiering and paperwork while you are on the floor- then tells you to engage with customers to make sales. If you get this job- you will need two jobs because you will not get enough hours.
A great, fun place to work.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: a fun place, full of exciting things to sell.
Cons: not very much money
My time at Earthbound Trading Co. was very enjoyable. I had the opportunity to work with some very exciting and enjoyable people and customers whom I believe are among the nicest there are. I learned a great deal of people skills and sales techniques. My manager was hands down the best manager I have ever worked for and my co-workers were amazing. In short, we were a family that worked like a family. I suggest this job to anyone looking for a fun place to work and make some money on the side.
Don't fall for "laidback, cool, fun" work environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), GeorgiaDecember 26, 2014
A typical day working at EB is uneventful, mundane and full of tedious small tasks. I've been the Assistant Manager since July, and still have yet to receive proper training. When the store opened we were thrown to the wolves.
The company itself is a hot mess, and doesn't seem to have a grasp on what customer service actually is, and what it entails. It's really quite pathetic.
bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Saint Cloud, MNJuly 26, 2013
bad store. bad management. they are not willing to work with you in any circumstances. they do not care about your personal well being.
Strict, demanding, and negative place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Abilene 415February 14, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: higher managment, terrible pay
I was the AM last week. Ya this opening was for my job. Let me give you some insight for EBT. Started out awesome with good hours, terrible pay. I learned a lot as far as culture and religions. Started as a Key Holder, which was good. This store went through 4 different Assistant Managers during my time there. Other EBTs might be fun to work at and they might teach you something different. Plain and simple anyone working for EBT outside of the STORE setting (i.e. District Managers, Director of store operations, Regional Managers, Presidents of the company) don't see what us employees would see. No customers, employees badgering customers to get them to buy overpriced items that breaks, tears, or falls apart. This store used to be about being in a fun setting, getting a culture fix and learning. Now its just about money. This company has become a corporate, greedy, money hungry company that enforces ADS (average dollar sales) goals and daily sales goals. This would be logical if there were commissions, but THERE ARE NO commissions. The district manager will want text messages and emails for EVERYTHING. If you complete this, email her. If you ship something out, email her. If you figure these numbers out, email her. If you set this display, email her. If you do markdowns, email her. She wants to know sales at 3pm, text her. 6pm, text her. Why? Who knows. I sure don't. With these sales goals and ADS goals, when you miss them, Action plans and counseling notices are given out, killing the team morale and bringing employees down. This is the company's way of determining who is "working" – more... and who isn't. My argument, why not just let the MANAGERS decide who is working and who isn't working? You can't force people to spend money. You just can't. And because they aren't spending money you get in trouble. The DM made a visit to the store. I thought it was just a visit because she does that regularly. She wanted to see the mall office about having plants moved from the front, so I told her. My boss left that night very upset from the conversation they had hours prior. The next morning, my boss quit. I learned that when the DM wanted to see about "moving those plants" she really went to go put an ad for my position, which I was still in. She really came to Abilene to have my manager fire me and my boss refused to do so. I went to work the next day to find just the DM working and she told a bold face lie to my face and told me that my Manager was the one who thought that it was my time to go and that she(DM) had nothing to do with it but just backed her up in letting me go. THAT is what Earthbound is now. Money, greed, and lies. If that's the environment that you want to be apart of, by all means, put in that app, But I strongly advise you rethink. – less
This place sucks!!!
Store Manager (Former Employee), North Little Rock, ArkansasFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: freedom to do whatever u want!
Cons: u have to play store manager, security guard, and the bad manager!
This company has a bad reputation for its overall retail experience!

They pay u no more then what u r worth and they wont allow u to pay ur best selling associates no more then minimum wage.

The CEO all the way down to the District Managers act as if they hv all of the answers to retail, sadly to say, they dont!!!!
Your first Job
Store Manager (Former Employee), SoutheastDecember 22, 2012
Pros: discount
Cons: working every weekend, upper management does not understand how to communicate, corporate unorgainzed.
Earthbound Trading is not a great company to work for but it is a great place to start. If you are looking to get you foot in the door and build your resume then you should try EBT.

As an manager you will work EVERY WEEKEND you might get a Sunday off. EBT is on the lower end of the payscale compaired to other retailers and the benifits are ok. When doing inventory you have to count everything by hand and they do inventory during the day which makes it hard to count all 2,000 rings they carry. Corporate is mess. It is so unorganized one does not know where to start. Shipment should not not be delivered at the end of the week, its just bad timing. Most upper managers are terriable at their job and I feel do not get the guidence and confindence they need from their managers. They need but leadership from the top. I believe they have not figered out if the mall based stores will be gift shops or able to compete with other retailers in the mall. EBT, from what I have seen likes to put stores in slowly dying malls which makes it difficult to convince people to buy cheap jewelery. I have been in retail for over 15 years and EBT is not the best company to work for. I will however give them the benifit of the doubt because they are growing. Still EBT has to get it together.
Very exciting job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), ALNovember 30, 2012
Pros: breaks as much as the total busyness of the store and mall.
Cons: hours and pay
Besides the amazing staff that work at Earthbound the customers themselves are a joy to help. Besides the normal retail obligations the only thing that might be different is having the opportunity to make your own floorsets and add a bit of personal flavor to any aspects of the job. Management for Earthbound is very well selected and never a dull moment with the amazing people that work there. The hardest part of the job is the most usual of problems, the pay and hours, but truly the only downfall to this amazing opportunity of a job.
I loved working here
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee), Jackson, TNSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: everything about this place rocks.
Cons: can't think of any.
This was the best job that i have ever had! The people here are wonderful the company is unique and amazing. There is plenty of room for advancement and the company itself is growing more and more everyday. If I hadn't moved to California I would still be working for this company.