EarthLink

EarthLink United States Employee Reviews

Company in turmoil - run the other way!
Sr. Relationship Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 4, 2015
Pros: work at home option
Cons: no job security
Too many mergers/acquisitions; too many systems used; no proper integration. I thought I found the perfect job until my job was eliminated only 8 months after I was hired. The pay was good but the company is a mess. It will take years for them to get it right.
Was a great place as Deltacom before Earthlink bout it out and did a company restructure.
Service Delivery (Former Employee), Arab, ALFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: good friendly co-workers that help each other.
Cons: stress
A typical day would be working new customer orders and teach your boss what you do with minimal help as the managers can't manage people anymore, they just run reports for higher management and sit on conference calls all day and are unavailable for guidance. Your co-workers all help each other. The hardest part of the job is the stress. The most enjoyable part of the job is your co-worker friends as you become like family and try to help each other.
Great work experience. Great company to work for.
Help Desk Analyst I (Former Employee), Amherst, NYFebruary 17, 2015
Great work experience. Great company to work for. IT help desk for M&T Bank. Covering Hardware/Software/Networking.
Mixed
Broadband Installation Care Technician (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: great learning environment
Cons: volatile business model
Earthlink gave and take at the same time. Earthlink introduced the Silicon Valley of doing business; a way of life that got addictive. Unfortunately, ELNK's business model did not prove futile and the company was forced to downsize significantly...
productive place to work
OSDA Operator (Service Assistant) (Current Employee), Anniston, ALFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: shut down too soon
I loved this job, great place to work, great people very positive and productive environment one of the few places that i know of that promote within the company
Productive and fun.
Senior Technical Support (Former Employee), Roseville, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: high customer satisfaction.
Cons: nothing that i could think of.
A typical day at work as tech support is a lot trouble shooting and reports. I've learned a lot from interacting with online customer. There's high interaction with management due to customer satisfaction. New reports and information are communicated verbally or through emails. My peers are my customer and I love working with them. They rely on my knowledge to be able to perform their job. The hardest part of the job is that I had to go home, when there's so much work to be done, however the most enjoyable part of the job is a sense of fulfillment when I am able to help out each customer. It is truly a wonderful place to work at.
Nice place to work
Sr. Field Service Technician (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 27, 2015
Typical 40 hours a week. Nice people.I would recommend to someone.
Awesome when it was MSPG, Good when it was ELNK
Senior Web Technician (Former Employee), HarrisburgJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere, great people, and a unique place to work.
Cons: mismanaged terribly after too many aquisitions.
This was the first work environment where ideas and creativity were not only encouraged but rewarded.

The former company, MindSpring had a well defined list of "Core Values & Beliefs". Almost everyone took them too heart, and some of us still apply them to our own personal lives. They were no-brainer rules of business, integrity, and good work ethics, but they were clearly spelled out for the IT workforce they were meant to motivate.

When Earthlink aquired MindSpring, they "adopted" their Core, Values & Beliefs. Which from that point on literally meant: Do as we say - not as we do. Unsurprisingly, within 2 years massive layoffs were in order.

Although many friends & coworkers were offered handsome severance packages, I had found new and better employment before the layoffs affected my department.

Still, I look back with much fondness for those wild days of the Internet, and still keep in touch with a great many of my coworkers, and consider them some of my best professional contacts.
BSS Architect (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: flexible work arrangements - work from home options
Cons: good business plans/requirements small it staff to get all implemented
EarthLink is an enjoyable work environment with very motivated and dedicated work force. The EarthLink staff is geographically dispersed with many team members working from home. Conference calls are a key to the maintaining open communication and continuity across the project team with involves server cross functional groups. I have had to work closely with multiple organizations during the migration projects I have been involved with at EarthLink.

While at EarthLink I focused on learning about the long term solution for the billing platform and processes while learning about the systems/platforms being decommissioned. It was an enjoyable process and due to a small IT team a lot had to be done through my own research and analysis teaching or asking questions to key business owners/developers. My co-workers were always more than willing to provide guidance and information requested. There is a very strong commitment to teamwork within the EarthLink work force.
Casual Pet Friendly work environment
Snr Supervisor of Service Delivery (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: pet friendly. casual work environment
Average work/life balance. Pet friendly. Average compensation/benefits. Job security is relative to one's skills ant the needs of the business. Average Management and Job culture.
Disjointed
Jobs eliminated
Everything done secretively
Do NOT work here !! Unless you want to be unemployed within 6 to 9 mos
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Arab, ALSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: coffee
Cons: stress and more stress. very unorganized and not at all stable with no job security
Very bad management at all levels and changing policies and procedures daily and if you are doing your job you have NO time to read all the emails every day in regards to changes. The most unorganized place and if you ever ask for help from your supervisor they tell you to go out on this new website they created and look up the answer. Mostly I felt the sups didn't know either but wanted to make you feel stupid. Also, who has time to go read and search the inet while a customer is on hold?
So much bad with this company it is difficult to list. Most important the employee turn over is unbelievable and they fire some for such made up reasons only to save the "chosen ones" from layoff. This company doesn't want people who try to do their job. Only the ones they choose as friends and party with sup. Not my cup of tea. So glad I no longer work there. Extremely stressful to the point of most having to be medicated just to show up and do their jobs. Sad but true. So just run. Trust me you will be glad you did.
Good company....I think?
Senior Product & Business Development Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 4, 2014
Earthlink has drastically changed since it's humble beginnings, and since I worked there. In 2007 they laid off half the company and completely changed the company focus and business model. I can't comment on their recent success, other than it appears they found a niche in enterprise services and are continuing to pursue that market today.
don't work here
Senior Technical Support (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 26, 2014
Earthlink treated their employees like they were slaves. They would tell you your working hard, but when it came to review time, you would only get a 2 cent raise.
productive
Service Assistant (Current Employee), Anniston, ALJune 5, 2014
Cons: short breaks
I worked with people. A typical day is having fun and making learning a better experience. My co-workers were awesome , we always got along. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers.
Fun work environment with supportive management.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2014
I worked to resolve billing, password and mailbox issues. I learned to be attentive to detail to resolve customer problems. Management was supportive and informative. Co-workers were upbeat and able. Earthlink often bought out other internet service providers....I would frequently get calls from these customers that were not happy about that. I enjoyed helping customers and resolving their problems in one call.
Fun exciting workplace, daily challenges
Senior trainer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2014
Began with EarthLink as Technical Trainer in the call center for technical and customer support. promoted to corporate training. fun environment, relax and very hard workers.
Worst Company - Will use you not build on you
Help Desk Analyst I (Former Employee), BuffaloApril 8, 2014
Pros: flexible dress attire
Cons: micromanagement hell, manipulative staff, management has no clue as to what the issue are that help desk analyst are working
Poor Training ... no pay raises ... do NOT like free thinking. If you are looking for work desperately grab the check but trust me they only pay 12 an hour LOL and they want you to perform like you were paid 30 an hour.

They will cut you down, talk you down and only care about the numbers. If you are applying to Buffalo position head this warning. The current management lead is a liar, has no backbone, and when presented with ideas to help turns the other cheek.

They care ONLY about the numbers not the individuals. Yet they will bribe you with food ... and yet not raises ....
Talks a good game
Director (Former Employee), AtlantaMarch 24, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: executive management, vision, strategy, follow-through, job security.
If you want a company that promises an invigorating and challenging environment and delivers on those promises look elsewhere. However, if your sole purpose is to work for a few months to a year and then collect unemployment, then this is the company for you.

Executive managment lacks vision and what vision it does have, they cannot deliver. They reward their competent workers by either laying them off or blaming them for misfires and then laying them off.

Delivering services to a customer is a drawn out mess of missed due dates, incompatible systems and processes, personality conflicts, and lack of technical fundamentals knowledge.
Great opportunities
Data Analyst (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 24, 2014
Earthlink was my first stop in an office environment. I was promoted several times with the company, asked to relocate for new positions on 4 occasions, on the 4th I declined, having move my family 3x already and took severance.

Overall a great company to work for, however, many jobs were lost due to moving to outsourcing, but still a great company.

1 2 3

About EarthLink

Some of us spend way too much time online, and EarthLink is OK with that. The company provides Internet connections to more than 1 million – Read more

EarthLink Salaries