East Brunswick Public Schools Employee Reviews

Poor job culture, competitive, cut-throat
Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJuly 14, 2017
There is no job security, it is extremely competitive, cut-throat, with an unhealthy work environment, workplace morale is low, poor work/life balance with demanding hours.
Pros
Benefits, experience, school performance
Cons
Job culture, job security, work/life balance, management, morale
Rewarding experience to give health information to young people
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJune 14, 2017
I instructed students in all areas of healthy living including: drugs, alcohol, tobacco; mental health, family dynamics, reproduction
First aid; nutrient and exercise; suicide prevention; driver education. I was also a cross country coach for females for 13 years.
The district was progressive and pleasant working conditions in a middle to upper middle class community in Middlesex Cointy,NJ
Pros
Working conditions, class of people, benefits
Cons
Some parents an be difficult at times as are their children.
Helpful teachers and supervisors.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJFebruary 27, 2017
I have worked with both children with special needs as well as general education students. I have learned ABA and I am CPI trained as well. I love working with speical edcuation students and making a difference in their lives.
it is ok to work there
Para-professional (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJanuary 26, 2017
Overall the East Brunswick public Schools are a good place to work at and get experience. I enjoy working with the students and staff the location is good for me as it is close to my home. it is good for someone just starting out and wanting to see if a career in teaching is for them.
Pros
nice staff to work with
Cons
no benefits
Great Educational Facility
School Secretary (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJDecember 8, 2016
Everyone is passionate about education. Upper management should recognize this more and support the employees who are valuable.
Horrible experience!
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJune 29, 2016
There was absolutely no opportunity for growth. The district prides itself on being a district of excellence but it is all at the expense of the amazing and hardworking classroom teachers who go on with very little support. Your efforts as a professional are never valued except in observations (effective teachers don't need the yearly approval of someone who knows nothing about day-to-day classroom operations; the data demonstrates their effectiveness and they know they are effective because of the collaborative relationships they build with parents and students).

A typical day at work: You arrive to work extremely early and leave extremely late, mainly to fill out forms and do work that you never have time to do during the day.

What I learned: To value myself and recognize the difference I make because administration was not going to tell me.

Management: Works you to death, takes no part in supporting you, promotes outsiders instead of the creating teacher leaders that already know the students, parents, and community.

Co-workers: Were simply amazing!

Hardest part of the job: Lack of administrative support.

Most enjoyable part of the job: The students.
Pros
Students and colleagues
Cons
Low pay and very high expectations with no support
Excellent place to substitute teach and gain experience.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJune 8, 2014
Excellent place to substitute teach and gain experience. Coworkers are very friendly and accepting of substitute teachers unlike other districts.
A foot in the door
School Aide (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJJune 3, 2014
If you are a changing careers, being a school aide lets you see many different positions within a school and gives you an opportunity to see how well each department works. My experience was a positive and helped me make a decision to pursue my M. Ed.
Pros
full benefits package, great working environment
Cons
low pay, it's impossible to support yourself on the wages earned, no holiday pay
Harsh, unrealistic expectations and no guidance; expected and wanted to fail
teacher (Former Employee) –  schoolDecember 28, 2012
I was warned ahead of time when I was hired that it would be hard to be rehired (I was told this by several SUPERVISORS). I had no idea what I got myself into. Horribly rude, unprofessional coworkers....who showed movies and screamed at fellow teachers they didn't like. I have never felt so disrespected and demoralized in my entire life. After a year of perfect reviews, I was still not rehired, just because. Worst workplace environment I have ever encountered. It felt like a bad dream.
Pros
a salary
Cons
horrible treatment, unprofessional work environment, high standards not geared towards children but towards administration's benefit.
Rewarding job opportunity working with the special education population.
Instructional Assistant for special education (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJ 08816August 27, 2012
I worked as an instructional assistant in resouce, inclusion and self contained classrooms with special education students ranging in age from 12 to 17. Specifically, I worked with autistic, emotionally disturbed, learning disabled and multiply handicapped students.
School district I thought would be better.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJApril 12, 2012
My role as a substitute teacher was typical, to follow the plans left by the absent teacher to ensure the continuity of education for the students. This was not easy as students always found new ways to push my buttons and co-workers tended to criticize rather than advise me. I learned that a career in the education field is not a good match for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was asked to do office duty when not needed in a classroom; these were typically concrete and repetitive tasks, my performance on which I was more respected than my performance in the classroom.
Pros
frequent breaks, summers off
Cons
difficult students, too much accountability