East Carolina University

East Carolina University Employee Reviews in United States

Learned basic laboratory skills that is useful in any research lab.
Research Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 30, 2012
Utilized sterile, anaerobic, high pH techniques for culturing
Analyzed samples through DNA, PCR and electrophoresis
Organized and prepared removal of biohazard waste
Prepared agar solutions and plates with different conditions
Maintained upkeep of laboratory solutions and documents
Pros
used modern lab equipment, learned sterile and modern lab techniques
Cons
would like to spend more time on pcr, and more time on an individual project.
Easy-going workplace with low pay and big responsibilities
Student Computing Technology Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 13, 2012
During my time as a student worker in the IT department at ECU I learned quite a bit about supporting remote systems. My co-workers are easy-going and can pick up the slack when needed. Printer support is the most difficult and frustrating part of my job. I really enjoy creating sysprepped images and working with Microsoft products. I also enjoy using remote management software such as Symantec Management 7.1 to help make the job easier.
Pros
lenient schedule, fun co-workers, learning experience, troubleshooting often
Cons
no benefits, no full-time opportunities
Great environment for learning and productivity
Editor-in-Chief, The East Carolinian (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 1, 2012
Writing stories, interviewing faculty and staff, managing a small staff, editing newspaper layout, making design and photography choices and managing administrative tasks -- such as payroll -- were all a part of my daily activities as the Editor in Chief of The East Carolinian newspaper at East Carolina University.
Pros
wonderful learning environment, meaningful work, great experience
Cons
difficult environment for promotion, long working hours, no benefits
ECU is a very good place to work.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 2, 2012
Very productive and efficient workplace in the university setting of a medical college. I always nice and efficient co-workers to work with, and in fact to today, I still have a friend who was my co-worker on my first job at East Carolina University. The management at all my jobs at ECU was very efficient and accurate. I learned extensively the medical transcription field and also secretarial skills and also a very good knowledge of medical terminology. My most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with nice people at a job and a safe and good environment to work in.
Nice job to compliment a full time college student
Barrista/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 30, 2013
A typical day consisted of selling coffee drinks, smoothies, and coffee cakes. At the end of the shift I was required to restock cakes, drink mixes, and take money across campus. I learned how to close out the cash register appropriately. Management were understanding and stuck to the rules. My co-workers were my age and mostly college students also. the hardest part of the job was restocking because the carts were heavy most of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was its location and very convieniant for students to come by and visit.
Pros
free food
Cons
restocking products via cart from way across campus at late night
Good clinical student experience
Medical Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMarch 22, 2015
The staff were more than willing to teach the basic skills about the medical assisting career. I would recommend this location to other medical assisting students.
enjoyable workplace
Administrative Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 23, 2015
Scheduling patients and coordinating surgeries. My day consists of data entry and customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new skills.
Pros
work with team players
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
Inside the Cubicle
PAS (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 12, 2012
Typical day consists of checking emails, writing official letters, performing tasks for many of the faculty, and maintaining the work flow related to multitudes of paperwork.

I learned that the job satisfaction greatly depends on what portion of ECU you work in as it is a very large establishment.

Management itself varies greatly from one division to another.

The co-workers are usually good to work with again depending on your area within ECU.

The hardest part of the job is keeping everyone happy and productive.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference in others lives whether it is just customer service or face to face assistance.
Pros
large environment
Cons
the satisfaction with management/coworkers is largely dependent on your location within the system.
Great atmosphere
Office Assistant II/IV (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 14, 2013
I love ECU because its cultural, I would go back to ECU, it was a great place to work. I loved the interaction with the professor some of them were great and others well if you take them with a grain of salt they don't bother you. Great place, I wish I had quit, its one of the hardest places to get on, but once as you are in you can advance and go where ever you wish.
Pros
culture and community events
Great workplace
Undergraduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 10, 2015
Genetics was my passion and I was able to discover that here. I enjoyed being able to do DNA and genetics research. I had a great boss and he was able to teach me a lot of things about this industry.
ECU Graduate assistantship
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCApril 8, 2014
This position requires great knowledge of public health, research design, participatory research, community-based research, and organizational skills. The position involved travel, which was provided, and required independent and group work. Employee must be self-motivated.
Pros
free travel, free lunch, great people
Researching.
Research Assistant in Toxicology Research Lab (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 18, 2012
As a research assistant I would prepare plates for growth of C. elegans. Synchronization of the C. elegans would provide the eggs where I would isolate an organism and watch its developmental mode based on its locomotion which was observed under a dissecting microscope, and if there was any abnormalities they were recorded.
Volunteer and Service-Learning Center at East Carolina Univ
AmeriCorps VISTA (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJune 30, 2012
As an AmeriCorps VISTA I felt that my position was very misunderstood by the higher ups, but those directly working with me were awesome. The VSLC went through A LOT of transition during ym VISTA year, which caused a good deal of stress. There are many things I learned from this position, too many to write about.
maintained and kept the books for the athletic department
Office of Student Development (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 3, 2015
Used Microsoft word, excel and power point to maintain the athletic books of all appropriate candidates. worked there for four years all during college.
Good working environment
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCOctober 15, 2014
East Carolina University is a good place to work. Hours are reasonable, the benefits are good, and the employees have been easy to get along with for the most part. The salary and the lack of opportunities to advance leave a little to be desired though.
Graduate Research Assistant
MATCH Program- Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 6, 2015
Typical duties of a research assistant and of a graduate student. I have learned a lot about research in general, what it takes to run a health prevention program, and how to manage resources.
Wonderful Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCFebruary 23, 2014
Working with ECU is a great experience, they are normally very open understanding that you are also a student and are mostly willing to work with your schedule and workload. I was able to get a lot of my schoolwork done during downtime.
Pros
great for students, on campus, able to get work done
Cons
take a lot out in taxes
Fun school to attend
Lab assistant and Mcdonalds (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 26, 2013
A typical day at work was easy and calm. The professor made a list of what needed to be done, and it was done by the employee each day.
I learned lab skills and my co-workers was nice. Their was no hard parts to the job, and I enjoyed worker with others as well as myself.
Pros
free lunches, clubs and church.
Cons
the parties.
Typical work day
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 28, 2013
Although this job was only two weeks, i had the opportunity of acting as a Program Assistant. Did a lot of planning and and preparing for the high school and middle school attendants tha participated. I was also able to serve as a resident assistant.
Pros
taught me leadership, responsiblity and ownership.
My job as a resident advisor
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 4, 2015
I would talk to residents and attend staff meetings, while also planning programs that helped students adjust to campus life. I learned to settle conflicts and become more of a team player.

4.5