East Orange General Hospital Employee Reviews

Physician Liasion
Physician Liasion/Lead Scanning Tech/HIM Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJJanuary 6, 2017
Retrieve requests for PHI
File and retrieve medical record charts and scanned reports
Manage photocopying and fax materials in accordance with federal and state guidelines and statutes.
Review medical records for completeness, and file records accordingly.
Coordinates assembly and analysis of records into standard order, and file records in designated areas according to applicable alphabetic and numeric filing system
Analyze and assign deficiencies to electronic medical records, while exceeding minimum accuracy standards.
Assist visitors and physicians, and answer the telephone as needed.
Index and review all scanned reports for accuracy, legibility, and appropriate identification.
Pros
community based
Cons
wages
Amazing workplace that taught new things
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJNovember 1, 2016
A typical day at work began with me filing patient information into the hospitals system. I worked in the radiology department therefore I worked closely with mammogram patients and was even taught how to read a mammogram. The comradery amongst my co workers and I was amazing. Everyone was extremely friendly, helpful, and willing to take time in order to teach me any necessary skills. Even how to work a fax machine! I enjoyed watching the doctors as they were in action and going about their day- it gave me an idea of what life was like for doctors, as I aspire to become one someday. The only fault I found in the job was not being as involved in what went on around the office, but it was only because I did not have the necessary experience.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible schedule, free advice
Great Work Environment, Patient Friendly
Unit Secretary(Clerk) (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJDecember 7, 2016
Nice place to work and grow in your profession. Staff is very friendly. Provides great service. Physicians are nice. From the moment you walk into the hospital you are greeted by the friendly concierge staff. The hospital is constantly building and improving.
Low pay, manager power tripping, overwork of staff
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 29, 2015
This facility is for nurses and others who cannot find employment any where else. Although there are some competent employees there is a high turnover rate due to management and overall bad working conditions. Consistently have issues with computer system, rude employees in most departments, and staff who generally seem to not care. Tuition reimbursement is shameful, no bonus for pay for performance, certification, etc. Advancement not an option unless you are liked, and only allowed to those who don't have the education or seniority required for the position. Here you find people "managing" others with higher credentials than themselves and "newbies" being given higher positions. Always short staffed of nurses because although there's no staffing ratio in NJ, the consensus among administration is that it's ok to give nurses 8, 9, and at times more patients. Run don't walk away from here, not worth the stress.
Pros
Ability to gain some experience
Cons
Almost non existent breaks, low pay, no advancement
Acute care hospital that serves the community of it's location and surrounding cities
Staff RN (Par-diem) (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJJuly 8, 2016
This hospital gave the opportunity to work as per diem staff by which I am able to acquire acute care skills for the period that I worked. I had hand on experience with acute patient while in school for advance nurse practice.
I loved going to work everyday
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJAugust 14, 2015
A very comfortable and friendly place to work. Their is room for advancement both professionally and financially. The smiles greetings and professionalism of the staff not only from the Doctors and Nurses but also Maintenance all the way up to the CEO of the company. All the staff members are very supportive.
Pros
Always Room for advancement
Cons
Menu in the Lunch Room were not always appetizing
Lpn
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJOctober 8, 2015
Fun place to work, with supportive management. Under new management with the usual red tape politics, but this is to be expected. The most enjoyable part of my job ia working with my colleagues and serving the community on the daily basis.
Pros
working with the community
Cons
The unknown of the new change
Don't quit your job.
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJDecember 7, 2014
Receptors are nurses with little experience,a year out of school. Very mean and omit information. Manager nurses have only bachelors at best. Computers don't work, employees in average stay a year or even less, then move on. There is no chance for advancement, strong favoritism to a particular people ( tribalizing). Managers fire people at whim if they don't like one. Very power hungry and controlling.Totally non flexible with schedule. Bullying is rampant and hostile work environment facilitated by the management. Please do not leave your current job to go there. They also being sold to another company this year. Maybe things will change. I witnessed many nurses being victimized at this place.
Education department is OK.
Pros
Education department
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun work place
Outpatient Hemodialysis Clinical Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Easr Ornage, NJApril 4, 2014
Typical day is from 8am-4pm, but I do dtay late once a week to cover the late shift. Even though it is a good place to work and they do offer good benefits and job security, managment could be better. I don't think there is anything difficult about this job. It is very flexible but for right now as a young dietitian I would like something more chalanging and interesting. I want to explore and learn more which I can definitly do at a teaching hospital rather than a dialysis center where there is no challang and nothing new to learn.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible
Cons
Not challanging or interesting
Very busy; management creates a hostile work environment.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJJanuary 6, 2014
I worked for EOGH for 10 years. I was a hard working and dedicated employee. Management does not like workers who are independent thinkers or employees who advocate for a fair work environment. The atmosphere at EOGH is do as I say do and speak when spoken too.
Pros
close to home, free parking and cafeteria on the grounds.
Cons
there aren't yearly raises; there is no praise for a job well done.
See below
Physician Volunteer/Observer (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJFebruary 22, 2016
Productive and engaging place to work with high patient load and broad diversity. A typical day at the Family Health Center involves conducting history taking and physical examinations, ordering tests, making diagnoses and offering treatment recommendations.
Performing basic ambulatory procedures.
Peer review and patient discussions with colleagues.
Pros
Weekly CMEs and great team. Wide range of patient load
Cons
It is a good working environment.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 2, 2015
Every day is a busy day at East Orange General Hospital, what I learned is that working together is the key for better patient care and for a workload relief. Management in general is trying to create safe and better environment for employees though there some lack of communication between management and employees. I enjoy going to work because of my coworkers, we are like a family. Working twelve hours without taking a break is very hard but that is like a usual routine at East Orange General Hospital. Most of enjoyable part of my job is to be able to make a different in someone's life through providing safe and appropriate nursing care by collaborating with physicians, coworkers and patients and families.
Pros
good relationship with my coworkers
Cons
minimal or no break time at all for nurses
Very productive work space
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJMarch 7, 2016
I did enjoy my time at EOGH ut do to health reasons I had to leave.
Now looking to get back in the work force.
I am a hard worker use to a stead fast pace, work very well with others.
Workplace Politics
IT Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJJanuary 6, 2015
East Orange General is a nice place to work if you love the type of work your doing...The pay is low and work place politics and conflict between manager and employees are high....I
Pros
Rotating Schedule, Working in IT
Cons
Management, Conflict Resolutions
Pleasant Environment
Admitting & Registration (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJMarch 11, 2013
It was peaceful and tranquil. I learned the different aspects of the human condition and what is required to maintain calm patients. Management was okay on many levels but there is always that one who does not embrace newness or change. My co-workers were exactly that, we kept everything business without involving our personal business. The hardest part of the job was having to learn what was needed for yourself because others were very reluctant to step in and lend a hand. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day, knowing that you helped at least one person was a great feeling.
Pros
the patients
Cons
some of the co-workers
changes made, new owners bought company,workplace changed
coordinator/denials management (Former Employee) –  east orange, njJuly 21, 2015
was able to advance and grow in department. there were in house workshops between departments. Being a team player was always on top.
Pros
open door policy from supervisor
Cons
change in management
Performance at EOGH.
Storerrom Clerk/ Supervisor CSR. (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work begins with me taking inventory of items that need to be ordered. Once done I place whatever orders needed. Make sure nursing units are supplied. Delegate responsibilities cycle count then clean my work environment. Finally towards the end of the day I enter items in the computer to charge to said units. I've learned over the years to strategize ways to make the supply chain easier, knowing that change is inevitable so when it comes I move with the cheese. I've completed the MAP training course and have built many positive relationships while there. Management helped me to understand different techniques to use in solving problems with minimum conflict. They provided educational opportunities for me to grow and I'm forever grateful. Co workers were family we established a family oriented environment and kept it. The hardest part to the job was maintaining inventory because we're not there all the time and staff would come into the Dept, while we're gone and take items without leaving a note or message and it would throw my count off from time to time. The most enjoyable part to the job was the successful inventories we had they're parties, the food was good and overall it was a nice place to work.
I wouldnt recoomend this department
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 30, 2015
I spent more time doing things that didn't pertain to my job than I spent doing my actual job. Management was very unorganized and there was a period where there was no management at all.
Pros
it was walking distance from home.
Cons
there was no room for growth. and very little organization
This was a productive workplace
Staff Nurse, Medical-Surgical Unit/Oncology (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJOctober 21, 2013
Morning report/shift change. Administer meds. orally, IV and Via G. Tube. Insert foley catheters, hep lock, access port a caths., transfuse blood, wound care and changed dressing. Supportive co-workers. Its was sad to see patients with degenerative conditions. I was happy to learn something new each day.
Pros
On site learning and demonstration and opportunities for advancement
Essential health care facility in support of a community in need of immediately available health care services
Chief Medical Officer (CMO) (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 4, 2015
-review of management and census report from the preceding day and take appropriate action
-department head huddle to update problems and offer solutions
-Multidisciplinary rounds for review of patient care status; discharge planning, average length of stay(ALOS) reduction planning
-review of managed care admission and concurrent medical necessity denials
-speak to managed care medical directors to appeal medical necessity denials and seek approvals
-handle complaints from patients, visitors about medical staff members behaviors
-handle complaints from the hospital staff and management about medical staff behaviors
-handle medical staff member complaints about hospital staff performance and facility barriers to carrying out patient care
-calls to medical staff members regarding delinquent medical records completion, excess resource utilization issues, ALOS excesses
-answer requests for approval to perform restricted diagnostic tests, surgical procedures, OR and endoscopy scheduling conflicts
-attend multiple hospital meetings
-attend, support or deliver Continuing Medical Education lecture
-answer up to one hundred emails

**speak directly to patients, nurses and physicians to help foster communication and resolve their barriers- the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
hard working hospital staff, some of the voluntary medical staff members are dedicated
Cons
resource constrained, great need for updated technology, all voluntary medical staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Orange General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

East Orange General Hospital Reviews by Location