East Orange General Hospital Employee Reviews

Calming Points during a storm
Mental Health Counselor-Crisis Unit (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJJune 7, 2013
A typical day at work in the crisis unit is never dull, it is an environment that requires one to be on their toes. The unit itself is comprised of well-informed individuals that work collaboratively to assess and screen patients who may be expressing symptoms of acute mental illness. In the brief time that I have been there, I have learned how valuable it is to be in a department that fosters a team effort to address the presenting needs of patients. My co-workers are informative and supportive of one another, and treat patients with courteousy and respect. The hardest part of the job is having to avoid injury if a patient becomes violent. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that each day presents a forum for professional development.
It was a learning and growing experience.
Admitting & Registration (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 30, 2012
A typical day was interacting with the patients and addressing the social service or medical need. I learned different versatile personalities of individuals in how specific circumstances can/will affect behaviors. The people that worked there were very helpful in addressing my purpose for the pursuit of knowledge of the patient client relationship. The hardest part of the job was interacting with someone who was in great pain and misfortune and not being able to change their circumstances for the better. The most enjoyable aspect of the day was going home knowing that my presence and attentiveness help someone to have a bright tomorrow. That my purpose there being of assistance to someone else helped make a difference and possible reinforced the value on ones life.
Pros
helping people from all walks of life.
Cons
not being able to make decisions for the patient.
Performance at EOGH.
Storerrom Clerk/ Supervisor CSR. (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work begins with me taking inventory of items that need to be ordered. Once done I place whatever orders needed. Make sure nursing units are supplied. Delegate responsibilities cycle count then clean my work environment. Finally towards the end of the day I enter items in the computer to charge to said units. I've learned over the years to strategize ways to make the supply chain easier, knowing that change is inevitable so when it comes I move with the cheese. I've completed the MAP training course and have built many positive relationships while there. Management helped me to understand different techniques to use in solving problems with minimum conflict. They provided educational opportunities for me to grow and I'm forever grateful. Co workers were family we established a family oriented environment and kept it. The hardest part to the job was maintaining inventory because we're not there all the time and staff would come into the Dept, while we're gone and take items without leaving a note or message and it would throw my count off from time to time. The most enjoyable part to the job was the successful inventories we had they're parties, the food was good and overall it was a nice place to work.
I wouldnt recoomend this department
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 30, 2015
I spent more time doing things that didn't pertain to my job than I spent doing my actual job. Management was very unorganized and there was a period where there was no management at all.
Pros
it was walking distance from home.
Cons
there was no room for growth. and very little organization
This was a productive workplace
Staff Nurse, Medical-Surgical Unit/Oncology (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJOctober 21, 2013
Morning report/shift change. Administer meds. orally, IV and Via G. Tube. Insert foley catheters, hep lock, access port a caths., transfuse blood, wound care and changed dressing. Supportive co-workers. Its was sad to see patients with degenerative conditions. I was happy to learn something new each day.
Pros
On site learning and demonstration and opportunities for advancement
I have worked for EOGH for over20 years and I enjoyed working their because of the atmostphere.
RN (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJMay 9, 2013
The best think I like about EOGH was taking care of the patients then comes the family felt atmosphere. A typical shift for starts with taking report then checking on my patients , prepare the appropiate patients if neededfor testing, give meds and do ongoing assestment for change in patient's status. Monitor vitals every 1-2 hours or more frequent if needed. I would also be in charge at times so I would cover other nurses and their situations. I learned how to be a good charge nurse.
Pros
Most coworkers are friendly and mangers will work with you and scheduling
Cons
many coworkers are not team workers.
Workplace Politics
IT Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJJanuary 6, 2015
East Orange General is a nice place to work if you love the type of work your doing...The pay is low and work place politics and conflict between manager and employees are high....I
Pros
Rotating Schedule, Working in IT
Cons
Management, Conflict Resolutions
fast paced & challenging
Security Police Officer (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJOctober 5, 2015
posted on exits report writing and ensuring the staff and visitors safety for the most part i was dealing with unruly / psych patients on a daily basis so therefor no 2 days were ever the same
Productive and fun workplace
X-Ray Technologist (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJOctober 5, 2015
Productive and fun workplace. A hospital with a very caring and a very hard working staff. It is indeed an organization where you will grow and learn as a professional.
productive and rewarding experience
Transporter (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJOctober 3, 2015
It was rewarding and the environment was a professional work place. Employees and staff went beyond trying to provide good quality healthcare services.
Essential health care facility in support of a community in need of immediately available health care services
Chief Medical Officer (CMO) (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 4, 2015
-review of management and census report from the preceding day and take appropriate action
-department head huddle to update problems and offer solutions
-Multidisciplinary rounds for review of patient care status; discharge planning, average length of stay(ALOS) reduction planning
-review of managed care admission and concurrent medical necessity denials
-speak to managed care medical directors to appeal medical necessity denials and seek approvals
-handle complaints from patients, visitors about medical staff members behaviors
-handle complaints from the hospital staff and management about medical staff behaviors
-handle medical staff member complaints about hospital staff performance and facility barriers to carrying out patient care
-calls to medical staff members regarding delinquent medical records completion, excess resource utilization issues, ALOS excesses
-answer requests for approval to perform restricted diagnostic tests, surgical procedures, OR and endoscopy scheduling conflicts
-attend multiple hospital meetings
-attend, support or deliver Continuing Medical Education lecture
-answer up to one hundred emails

**speak directly to patients, nurses and physicians to help foster communication and resolve their barriers- the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
hard working hospital staff, some of the voluntary medical staff members are dedicated
Cons
resource constrained, great need for updated technology, all voluntary medical staff
Nice co-workers, always kept busy.
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 13, 2014
A typical work day for me was coming into work and signing in. I would go to my station and greet and be greeted by all my fellow co-workers. I would wait for my manager to give me my assignment. The manage liked her papers vey organized. She was nice but always kept me busy. The hardest part of my job was all the paper work that I had to file and put away. I worked for about five hours a day Monday through Thursday from 8:30 in the morning to 1:30 in the afternoon. At 1:30 I would sign out and go home.
Pros
Free lunch and breakfast
Cons
short breaks
Busy as bees
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJNovember 6, 2013
Coming in to greet everyone. I don't have beakfast most of the time because I get right to work. The staff is very busy, and with that it can be a little frustrating when the staff wants to give very little attention when I have a question or need help with something. The team work is there, but it can be better. There a need for balance inside the dept. And with that, the work can become alot easier. The most enjoyable part is when the employees in the hospital get together during the summer for a barbeque and relax for a little while.
A very unprofessional work enviornment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJMarch 17, 2015
The actual work was very interesting and fun to do, I loved learning and getting everything done at the end of the day but between supervisors not handling certain issues correctly, letting personal their personal life affect working decisions, racial comments throughout the hospital and treating others unfairly because they are beneath them in ranking and making them feel uncomfortable I will never return to this hospital.
A typical day at work consisted of cleaning all patient and nursing stations
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJAugust 19, 2013
I had great mentors that helped me excel at my position. I also worked with co-workers that worked just as hard as I did. We all got along well. I believe that the hardest part of the job was not being recognized for my achievements.
Pros
Free exercise gym area
Cons
no room for advancement
Stressful environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJJune 5, 2014
Typical day at work involves dealing with a lot of difficult patients, family members and even doctors as well. I have learned to be tough at this facility as the saying that "nurses eat their young" is true for this facility, although it is not only the nurses who do it but the doctors as well. Hardest part of the job is keeping calm and collected when patients are getting verbally abusive which happens quite often. The most enjoyable part is when you have patients who are very appreciative and thankful for the work that we nurses do for them.
A two man department, full support of hospital management
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 28, 2014
The audit program is used guide the auditor with approach to work. Review prior audit work papers noting down significant findings and recommendations. These will be discussed in preliminary meeting with the auditee. Prepares my test sample and proceed to verify compliance with hospital policies and procedures. Write down exceptions from SOP. Investigate non-conforming evidence. Resolve issues and write recommendation for improvement.
Pros
I determine my own audit approach
East Orange General
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJSeptember 16, 2015
Great atmosphere great place to work build relationships fast growing developing hospital. Very friendly family oriented work environment.
Face paced environment, always productive.
Administrative Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 29, 2014
Answer phone calls and transfer caller to proper department. Filing and faxing duties. you learn about different companies everyday and always solving different problems. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. The hardest part is to complete long projects in a short time frame but I always meet my deadline. The enjoyable part is just to be able to provide outstanding customer service and learn how to solve new problems.
Pros
Free lunch, well organized and oriented
Productive Work Day. Never a dull moment
Cardiology Technician (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 30, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of being busy from the time one clocked in to the time one clocked out. I learned alot about the laws and ethics of medicine through this employer things that were not covered in school. Everyone was friendly an cordial even if they did'nt care for the people that they worked with. The hardest part of this job was losing patients eevn after u did all u could to save them. The most enjoyable part of this job was putting a smile on my patient's faces.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Orange General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

East Orange General Hospital Reviews by Location