East Penn Manufacturing Employee Reviews

Company has gotten dramatically worse over the past few years.
Serf (Current Employee) –  Lyon Station, PAJuly 11, 2014
When I started here over 26 years ago, it was a great place to work. Now in recent years the company has gotten oppressive with its new ever changing rules (note* we do not have a company handbook). The health coverage has gotten worse (they are self insured for healthcare and workers compensation), their personal time off policies have gotten worse and the employee treatment has gotten worse from, at very least, plant managers. You have to work a long time to get vacation time...a long time. When I was hired this was a family company and you WERE treated like family. This is not the case now. Deka is the largest employer in Berks County. They do not have the best pay or benefits though. I used to have great pride in working for Delight and East Penn. I can't say that now though. You are NOT treated like family. It does pay the bills, barely. We do get regular raises, 35 cents an hour a year. This has been the same since I started here over 26 years ago. There has been such an influx of people into the county that the company DOES NOT CARE IF YOU LIKE THE WORKING CONDITIONS or NOT. If you don't like it you can quit or get fired! They have literally THOUSANDS of application on hand at all times. They say that there is an "Open Door Policy". The front door that you go in only leads to the back door that you leave from. The ONLY time that things changed for the better, was when unions were attempting to come in. ONLY THEN. The economy is so bad that they do whatever they want because people are so desperate for jobs. I am stuck working for this company ONLY because there are no  more... jobs out there with living wages. And being a 50 something white male with ongoing and upcoming health issues, you can not get a job. The newer policy changes are absolutely aimed at older employees with more vacation time and more health problems. Aimed,in my opinion,at discharging them any way that they can. I am very unhappy with the direction that this company is going. I am very disappointed with the company and its vanishing family atmosphere.  less
Pros
steady work, good health insurancem (for now).
Cons
not enough time to shower (for removing lead), parking, mandatory overtime, company first family second culture.
Very productive and demanding, great people to work with and amazing work atmosphere
Battery Technician (Former Employee) –  Lyon Station, PASeptember 25, 2014
Typically, I would go to battery line that was assigned to me, then I’ll check on the computer to see the quota that needed to be made then make my perpetrations needed to get started. What I learned from working at East Penn Manufacturing was how to be organized and work head. In this job, I had the opportunity to make much different type of batteries and I had the responsibility to prepare for a new setup for the next battery type so that production wouldn’t be disrupted. Also I learned how to improvise. It wasn’t unusual for your machine to break down, you can call maintenance and they’ll come and fix the problem. Usually it would take them about 20 to 30 minutes to show up so what I would do is figure out how to fix the problem before maintenance arrived, if they were taking to long. I was only able to do this if there was not a major repair that needed.
The management was very helpful in assisting you with any problems or situation presented to them. Whether it be with (PPE) Personal Protection Equipment, a line that was down, family emergency or punch out machine. Management was always busy but always found the way to meet the employee’s needs.
My co-workers were great; a lot of them made the time go faster and made an exciting work atmosphere. We were all very helpful to each other, whether we were on the same line or not. We all worked as a team, if I was done with the work I was doing in my line I would go to someone else’s line to assist them in whatever they needed help in, until the new set of batteries were ready to be made or my line was operational. Everyone worked
  more... with each other this way.
The hardest part about the job I would have to say is that some days were hotter than others were. Also the machinery wasn’t in the best shape, so there were days where production would slow down because of the machines braking down so often. There was nothing you could do about it until you were moved to another line.
Pros
special lunch days, extended lunches and potluck lunches
Cons
very hot
High paced, fast flowing work place; good pay an fast days.
Material Handler & Mold Setup (Current Employee) –  Lyon Station, PAOctober 10, 2015
During a typical day, my main job is to make sure that all the production workers have what they need for the day. When that is done, usually I request from a supervisor if there are any change overs or new molds to bring down for parts that need to be run. So depending on the change over that will take up most of my day all the while moving, entering, and transferring product. Printing out labels and of course, keeping my co-workers running at a efficient pace.
I have learned many things doing this job. One of which, you must be able to move. keep a steady head on your shoulders and most importantly keeping your eye for any mistakes and\or detailed instructions. My co-workers will often dictate how my day will go. Whether its issues with the molds or running out of the material that they need. The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely having a smooth night where all the work gets done, entered, transferred, and my co-workers are able to make money.
Management is often the hardest part of my job during my time at East Penn. Some know what they are doing, but for the most part they have a hard time providing answers to questions that need to be answered. This leads to a lot of people being frustrated when they come to work as well as when they leave. But this job for me is definitely a 9 on the stress scale.
Pros
Meet good people, pay, work hours, overtime availability
Cons
short breaks, no appreciation
They choose profits over people.
Takeoff operator (Former Employee) –  Lyons, PAMay 19, 2014
Lifting 10-15-20 pounds every 5 seconds for 8 hours. I did not learn anything. Management was overbearing and only cared about the bottom line. My coworkers were okay, some were very, very lazy and two or three of them got away with doing virtually nothing all day. The hardest part of my job was getting up and going back for another 8 hours. I enjoyed nothing. We could not simply do our jobs. we had to worry about new rules, regulations and restrictions. They are not your friends. they don't care about you or your family. you are a number, a replaceable piece of meat. If you work in production, prepare to swallow your pride and compromise your integrity. If you put stickers on batteries or ride a walkie all day , are a leader or QA, or stand around waiting for your machine to finish a coil, you might like it here.
Pros
money. thats it. and when the economy picks up this place is going to tank hard.
Cons
short breaks, very dirty, moronic supervisors, clueless managers. forced mandatory overtime, no union, everyone fears for their job
Examine inside of Car Battery
Quality Auditor (Current Employee) –  Fleetwood, PADecember 4, 2014
On a typical day at East Penn Manufacturing I am a Quality Auditor in the COS department where I examine the inside of a car battery and make sure they operators are making them up to our quality standards. I have 14 machines I check and a total of about 40 people whom report to me of any issues they are having with the plates, envelopes, cases and straps that are all apart of the batteries. I enjoy being the "go to person" when problems occur and being able to figure out how to solve the problems and help them create the best product possible. I communicate with my supervisor when there is a large crisis other than that most decisions are done through me on the floor. I must record everything I do on the computer as well as any problems that occur must go through our "Redtag" program. I also deal with SPC training as well as 5s training. The hardest part is probably when a huge issue occurs and getting all the communication to the right people to make the best decision at hand because it is such a huge company communication can get lost at times. I am a very outgoing person so communication is not hard for me to do as well as getting along with all of my co-workers whom are of a variety of gender and ethnicity.
They couldn't manage a lemonade stand !
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  lyonsNovember 16, 2013
BEST places to work? yea, ask people who aren't afraid for they're job! Or people that speak the truth! They train you, you build your resume, and you leave cause your just a # and now they have better paying companies building in the area and they cant compete. They are letting all great experience d people walk. 20 maintenance guys left in past few months cause of low pay , management is terrible, need a regime change, old guys need to retire and realize its 2013! After 20 years and seeing how much more opportunity is out there, this place doesn't compare. Only way to make money is kill yourself for 7 days a week, which they don't even acknowledge. So if your young go to Deka University, learn, and build your resume for few years and quit for a lot more elsewhere, but if you just need a job or don't read or speak english or live in Reading with no car, they cater to you and will provide bus service for you.Cause your cheap labor and just another # ..........
Pros
some truly good people to work with.
Cons
some truly clueless people to work for.
MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Lyons, PAJune 10, 2015
My typical day was working in the Machine Shop so my review might be different from many of the others I heard about around the plant. Ive heard many stories of other parts of the plant not being air conditioned and harsh working conditions such as lead and acids. It always made me feel like I was working in the heavenly part of the plant.
I learned a lot at Deka as I was new to the trade the ProtoTRAK machines are awesome and made each day fun and exciting.
Management was great didn't care much at all or hound you. I've seen guys stand around talking for 15 minutes or so.
The hardest part of the job was probably the stresses of getting the parts right. But it was never a huge deal if you messed up.
The people and environment were great as long as the work not being pressured since it wasn't a production shop we were mostly supporting the plants needs.
Pros
2, 20 minute breaks paid, good pay, really take care of employees
Cons
drug tests every month get annoying
Battery Manufacturing
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lyons, PANovember 12, 2012
I respected the company as a whole, but the department I was in had extremely disrespectful co workers, even in my first week they treated me like I was in boot camp. I wanted to go to work and learn more, not work with children. I told management about some of the things going on there and they did nothing to stop it. There were a few helpful workers but at the end of the day I'm glad I left. Was very heavy lifting involved as well on a constant basis(30-60 lbs about every 30 seconds). I did learn a lot about myself and how much I could take as well. They did look for another area for me to transfer and wanted to try to keep me but had no other areas open at the time. Management also did not take me off of training pay for the four months I was there so I never made bonus on piece rate.
Pros
great benefits, good company as a whole
Cons
management problems, unhelpful/disrespectful co workers
Great positive work environment.
Ultra Battery Tech ( Research and Developing) (Current Employee) –  Lyons, PAJanuary 9, 2014
I'm proud to say that East Penn Manufacturing has giving me an opportunity to grow with them as a company. With there company I've started with production and worked my way up to research and development because they give all employees an equal chance to grow. I love my environment and people I work with. I've had nothing but the best experience with management and my own department supervisor. With the position I hold I don't think there's any part of the job that I can say is hard or I cant do.I would say the best part and most enjoyable is working next to great coworkers and knowing we work together as a team.
Pros
health benefits, great working enviroment, great pay rate
Cons
out of state transfers
Dead end job
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Yeadon, PASeptember 23, 2013
Typical mon-fri 40 hour week job. Delivered to multiple customers throughout the tri state region. First thing in the morning, your getting paperwork in order. After loading the trucks, you head out to various parts of the NJ, Pa, and De. No real boss looking over your shoulder all day, but certainly poor attitudes while in the shop. Co workers are friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job was learning the minutia of the delivery system. The best part of the job was limited product delivery. If I finished my job early, I got to go home early.
Pros
price breaks with customers on outside parts/ services
Cons
poor management team
A great place to work with good people and new challenges.
Grid-Casting Floater (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, PaMay 8, 2013
My typical day was forklifting, operating molding machines, troubleshooting them, cleaning around hot machines while some are operating, handle chemicals like lead in hot liquid form and solid bars. I learned I to do my job better if you find a steady pace that you are most comfortable and aware in a fast pace environment. Management was friendly and on point and made sure all issues was handle which I admire. Co-workers were busy as bees and helpful when ask for help and they made the job most enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was forklifting in this environment.
Pros
working with good people.
Cons
the chemicals there i had to handle.
working in injection molding was an educational experience
Lead Mechanic, Injection Molding (Former Employee) –  Lyon Station, PAJuly 16, 2012
Being employeed through East Penn was a very educational experience. All different characters you had to deal with. Some of the management team could learn how to be a leader. Professionalism, is another thing that the management in Injection Molding needs to work on
Maintenance couldn't have had a better manager, before he was asked to take over the maintenance side of the house in Kutztown.
The job was great in the building I worked in, different levels of skills sets. That's when I got to do some training with the other men.
Pros
issued you tools so not expensive too work there
Cons
i like the appreciation that the boss lets you know about
Fun workplace with the people i work with
manufacturer/ outside tow motor operator (Former Employee) –  Lyons, PAMarch 26, 2015
My normal day started with taking lead orders from different plants. Then my partner and i would start loading trailers and sending them out. Once the rail cars came i worked with the conductors by setting the rail cars in specific docks, so they could be unloaded. Once they were set i chalked the rail cars and started opening the doors. I used a forklift to unload the cars and i either put the lead in a specific area and stacked it or i put the lead on the trailers and shipped them out to buildings that needed the lead.
Pros
good benefits, good pay
Cons
working with other shifts not always working as a team
Its great for someone who wants to move up
Cos Floater (Current Employee) –  Corydon, IAFebruary 17, 2014
I seen nobody has put in a review from corydon iowa East Penn is a great company to work for with great benefits and more than fair pay. they treat everyone equally and give everyone the benefit of doubt. theres drama sometimes with coworkers but you will have that anywhere. I work 3rd shift and almost everyone on any shift knows who I am and treat me like family.
Pros
your treated with respect and gratitude for your work
Cons
cant really think of anything incentive rates could be better but there not terrible
Set Up Technician
Set-Up Technician (Former Employee) –  Lyon Station, PASeptember 15, 2015
Being my first full time job I was ecstatic that I could finally work and use the mechanical skills that I've learned in school and at home. was a messy job but I enjoyed working on the injection molding machines. From troubleshooting to processing new parts, there was always something new to learn everyday. My coworkers weren't afraid to help or give advice when needed. The hands on experience was not only fun but has increased my knowledge and skills set.
Pros
Great health benefits and pay rate, supportive co workers, and a lot of opportunity to increase not only in knowleadge but in job placement.
Very good pay and Benefits
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lyon Station PA.August 10, 2014
Company pays well and offers good Health Insurance. I like to do things with my family and they gave very little time off. You rarely even get a 2 day weekend. Money is nice but I had no time to enjoy my life when I worked there. Some lower level Management is absolutely horrible, I can't believe upper management is not aware of this. If all you care about is money this is a great place to come, you can work the rest of your life away.
Pros
pay/ benefits
Cons
no life / six days a week constantly. maybe more.
They tell you that they are all about family !!!!!!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lyons Stayion Pa.September 26, 2013
They are all about the company. NOT about YOU or your family. My son passed away in 2006. I was at East Penn for over 22 years.And they FIRED me because I couldn't get OVER my son passing away...... You are just a number there. They are trying to get rid of all the people that have a lot of years in and replace them with people that they can pay less money to.So you know what that means the quality isn't going to be there.
Cons
don't care about their workers.....
Production
Molding Floater (Current Employee) –  Lyons, PAJanuary 27, 2015
East Penn is a family owned business producing batteries for 65 years and counting. I work 3rd shift with amazing co-workers and floor leaders. The hardest part is the beginning of the night, with filling out the machines first piece while maintaining the machines running smoothly, clearing out the tables and keeping an eye on the parts to maintain scrap levels down. However, having awesome co-workers makes our nights working together a fun experience every night.
Good Benefits, Growth Opportunities, Jos Security
Quality Control Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lyons, PAJuly 13, 2013
A very reputable company, growing every year. Employees receive fair compensation and benefits. Co-workers are awesome, but I feel management could be much more efficient communicating to their employees. Since I started, the company has become much more corporate compared to a family based company in the past. Overall I would rate them @ a B.
Pros
benefits, bonus, opportunity for growth
Cons
poor communication from the top down
machine operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  lyons station paJanuary 20, 2015
A day at deka would be getting first piece an completing that.What that is a qa paper that we have to go by.Run an operate the machine u were put on.You had to work as a team to run the machines the right way to put out good product.It was fast pace an had to keep up.Management never bothered u in less u needed something.Co workers we good.The hardest part was loading the separator.And going home was the best.