East Penn Manufacturing Employee Reviews

MACHINIST (Former Employee), Lyons, PAJune 10, 2015
Pros: 2, 20 minute breaks paid, good pay, really take care of employees
Cons: drug tests every month get annoying
My typical day was working in the Machine Shop so my review might be different from many of the others I heard about around the plant. Ive heard many stories of other parts of the plant not being air conditioned and harsh working conditions such as lead and acids. It always made me feel like I was working in the heavenly part of the plant.
I learned a lot at Deka as I was new to the trade the ProtoTRAK machines are awesome and made each day fun and exciting.
Management was great didn't care much at all or hound you. I've seen guys stand around talking for 15 minutes or so.
The hardest part of the job was probably the stresses of getting the parts right. But it was never a huge deal if you messed up.
The people and environment were great as long as the work not being pressured since it wasn't a production shop we were mostly supporting the plants needs.
Good place to work for
Quality Audit Inspector (Current Employee), lyons station, paJune 2, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: short break times, poor communication
east penn manufacturing inc at first glance is a good company to work for. good pay, good benefits. they provide poor vacation time off and poor communication between departments and management. east penn sends anything out the door regardless what it looks like.
Multifaceted Battery Manufacturing
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Lyons, PAMay 18, 2015
International battery company with lots of advancement opportunities. Excellent benefits packages and savings options. Constantly changing job openings allow for plenty of advancements.
Great Atmosphere
Logistics Intern (Former Employee), Lyons, PaMay 18, 2015
Best working atmosphere you will ever come across. One big family from floor shop manager all the way up to CEO. Great people, great products, everything is great.
good solid company, excellent benefits
Material Handler (Current Employee), Lyons, PAApril 28, 2015
good family owned bussiness. Fellow employees are nice to work with. over all a decent place to work. Has expanded a lot over the last several years
eh
Formation Room Operator (Former Employee), Fleetwood, PAApril 23, 2015
Pros: $500 paycheck
Cons: everything else
pros: nice paycheck

cons: fast paced and they don't care about you on a personal level
trainers were switched every 2 days. never got to learn job
Challenging but great experience
Acid Filler (Former Employee), Lyons, PAApril 21, 2015
I would walk in the morning and punch in, go to my station and set up the line before my line co-workers showed up. We have two 20 minute breaks and 15 minutes to shower at the end of the shift. I use to run between 3000 and 5500 batteries a day off my line which is good.
GREAT JOB
CDL Class A Route Driver (Current Employee), Ashland, VAApril 19, 2015
Very good co-workers. Routes are very good. Minimum micro management. The ability to interact with the day to day customers.
high turnover of it's employees
Supervisor (Former Employee), Lyons, PAApril 8, 2015
Pros: ok pay check
Cons: very high turnover
the training is not what it should be with a high turn over of employment the company could focus more on its training vs hiring more employees that normally don't last more then one year
Fun workplace with the people i work with
manufacturer/ outside tow motor operator (Former Employee), Lyons, PAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: good benefits, good pay
Cons: working with other shifts not always working as a team
My normal day started with taking lead orders from different plants. Then my partner and i would start loading trailers and sending them out. Once the rail cars came i worked with the conductors by setting the rail cars in specific docks, so they could be unloaded. Once they were set i chalked the rail cars and started opening the doors. I used a forklift to unload the cars and i either put the lead in a specific area and stacked it or i put the lead on the trailers and shipped them out to buildings that needed the lead.
Productive and fun work enciorment
Material Handler (Former Employee), Fleetwood, PAMarch 21, 2015
Everything was great. Co- workers were helpful. I've learned to work more as a team. Management was great. I don't really thing there was anything hard about this job. Just working and getting paid.
Large Company with Supportive Employee Approach.
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee), Lyons, PAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: employee supportive programs.
Cons: poor management.
I felt the company made genuine efforts for employee supportive activities. I feel they fell short with poor management. Good management was subject to the rogue attitudes of the poor management. In the balance, employees were used as pawns.
Mechanical Work
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Lyons, PAFebruary 2, 2015
Daily preventive maintenance work orders, also labor of lifting moving working with others, assigned work orders for break downs. general labor and keep up on machines to keep them running for production.
Production
Molding Floater (Current Employee), Lyons, PAJanuary 27, 2015
East Penn is a family owned business producing batteries for 65 years and counting. I work 3rd shift with amazing co-workers and floor leaders. The hardest part is the beginning of the night, with filling out the machines first piece while maintaining the machines running smoothly, clearing out the tables and keeping an eye on the parts to maintain scrap levels down. However, having awesome co-workers makes our nights working together a fun experience every night.
Labor intensive
enveloper (Former Employee), lyon station PaJanuary 23, 2015
Very good place to work. Very labor intensive. It is a dirty job but it pays very well
machine operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee), lyons station paJanuary 20, 2015
A day at deka would be getting first piece an completing that.What that is a qa paper that we have to go by.Run an operate the machine u were put on.You had to work as a team to run the machines the right way to put out good product.It was fast pace an had to keep up.Management never bothered u in less u needed something.Co workers we good.The hardest part was loading the separator.And going home was the best.
Great pay
material handler (Former Employee), Fleetwood, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: awesome pay
Cons: hard work, no life
Hard work fast paced public showers and a lot of Lead but great pay and 401k blood test every 6 weeks and pretty interesting people to say the least.
Not a "forward thinking" company
Production Worker (Former Employee), Lyons Station, PAJanuary 7, 2015
When a problem arises within the company, they're more concerned with applying a "band aid" than to resolve the actual issue. They also have no interest in acknowledging the workers that go above and beyond for the well-being of the company.
Examine inside of Car Battery
Quality Auditor (Current Employee), Fleetwood, PADecember 4, 2014
On a typical day at East Penn Manufacturing I am a Quality Auditor in the COS department where I examine the inside of a car battery and make sure they operators are making them up to our quality standards. I have 14 machines I check and a total of about 40 people whom report to me of any issues they are having with the plates, envelopes, cases and straps that are all apart of the batteries. I enjoy being the "go to person" when problems occur and being able to figure out how to solve the problems and help them create the best product possible. I communicate with my supervisor when there is a large crisis other than that most decisions are done through me on the floor. I must record everything I do on the computer as well as any problems that occur must go through our "Redtag" program. I also deal with SPC training as well as 5s training. The hardest part is probably when a huge issue occurs and getting all the communication to the right people to make the best decision at hand because it is such a huge company communication can get lost at times. I am a very outgoing person so communication is not hard for me to do as well as getting along with all of my co-workers whom are of a variety of gender and ethnicity.
great company to work for
Heat seal operator (Former Employee), Lyons, PAOctober 29, 2014
in the past 7yrs of me working for that company it was one of many best time good coworkers and very strict