East Tennessee State University Employee Reviews in United States

Etsu
Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  TNJanuary 15, 2016
The value of employment at ETSU goes far beyond salary. As a potential employee, you will enjoy a full range of benefits, services and programs.
Pros
Community
Cons
Salary
A very good educational environment with very experienced teachers and mentors to guide you
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 12, 2016
East Tennessee State University, Department of Chemistry is a fun place to work in that you have a lot of experienced mentors, teachers and colleagues that you learn a lot from as you work. the pay packet is quite small but it is still ok at least to meet our needs as graduate assistants. We are taught how to teach both in class and we are also allowed to experience teaching first hand by assignment us to teach classes. The safety culture at ETSU chemistry department is a very high one and this is because of the high risk chemists are exposed to daily from toxic chemicals to occupational hazards and accidents. Thus it is good thing that the department strictly enforces the safety policies as recommended by OSHA. The hardest part of the job is combining the job of teaching with research and studying as well for your exams. this makes it a bit difficult to focus on all three as same time
Loved my job as a Job Retention Specialist.
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASE MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJuly 4, 2015
8-4:30 Monday thru Friday. I assessed clients barriers that prevented them from gaining employment and I worked with them to remove these barriers and help place them in gainful employment. I operated all office equipment; I ordered our office supplies; When needed I traveled to surrounding counties filling in for my coworkers.I secured all clients information in employers database as well as hard copy files. I scheduled and rescheduled my own clients appointments.
Pros
Great coworkers and work environment; Compensation was great; Work/home=great balance
Beautiful and peaceful campus
Clerical Support (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 1, 2016
There are a number of positive aspects of this major University.
1, There are a wide range of subjects and career opportunities for any eager student to pursue.
2. The faculty and staff members are well trained.
3. A typical work day includes preparing the office for the days business, answering calls and directing clients. Following protocol for emergency situations. Scheduling appointments, creating files,
collecting fees and preparing correspondence via email.
4. The most enjoyable part of my job was working closely with students and building relationships.
5. What I've learned, there is a solution to every problem.
The short fall at this campus is in the area of diversity, however the University is working to improve in this area.
Pros
No weekend assignments unless special events are planned
Cons
Non Competive Salary
Graduate Student Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 6, 2016
This job was part of a full scholarship received to receive my Master's in Computer Science. It was a tremendous opportunity I am so lucky to have received. I got experience teaching college freshmen as well as learning more about myself as a student, employee, and teacher.
Pros
free tuition
Cons
long hours between school work and teaching responsibilites
Effective, productive and interactive workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMay 16, 2016
Quite busy but fulfilling. Requires high time management skills and interpersonal working relationship with colleagues. Learnt new microbiology techniques and the fun part was to interact, guide and teach students from diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Was able to execute my responsibilities, the teaching syllabus and fulfill my tasks on time. Also balancing between my intense graduate coursework requirements and job responsibilities
Pros
Great support from supervisor, faculty, department and colleagues
Busy work place
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNNovember 2, 2015
My days start off early 4:30 am and getting to work at 5:15.Getting the building open and cleaned before management comes in and ready for the day. Looking over schedules, and making sure all set ups are done and the most important part of my job is my students and seeing them daily and taking care of them. With over 200 students your day is busy and full of surprises. Love cleaning and seeing my work being appreciated.
Pros
Love working with people
Cons
no advancements
Day to day at ETSU FF
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  TennesseeApril 12, 2016
37.5 hours per week M-F; great co-workers; very good management team; great wages; due to contract employment the job was not as secure as I would have liked. The hardest part of job staying on top of ever changing status of clients; most enjoyable part was seeing clients overcome barriers to become successful.
Pros
Longevity pay, awesome benefit package, i.e five weeks vacation annually
Cons
contract employment created lack of job security
Tough work environment
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 17, 2016
I love Johnson City and the people there!! Working at ETSU was a tough experience because I worked in a hostile environment. The work and life balance was tilted as well. I learned a lot and my positive and peaceful mindset was tested daily.
Challenging and Skill creating
TUTOR/MENTOR (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNFebruary 10, 2016
Being responsible for four other tutors and over 500 students, in making sure that students received the assistance they needed for the class they were in. Also, training tutors by CFAA rules and regulations compliance to assist the students in increasing their grades and their attitudes to be able to complete tasks by themselves.
Illustrator for Professor
Freelance Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMay 25, 2016
Job is pretty easy and is worth the pay. Doesn't interfere with school work to badly. However there is not a steady income.
Pros
Money on the side
Cons
Not money on the side when you need it
Great for tuition costs
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 19, 2016
Taught undergrad pe classes in exchange for free tuition. best decision i ever made. Great faculty and helpful when needed
Love My Job
Executive Aide (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 21, 2016
I could not ask for a better job. My boss is amazing. But, getting to know and care about the students is what makes my job worthwhile!
Professors are willing to help there students with all the education to become a sucessful graduate and earn a degree to utilize in the business world
full-time student (Former Employee) –  TNDecember 27, 2015
East Tennessee State University has some of the best students and best professors. People are genuine and willing to help with education goals at any given moment. Go ETSU bucs!
4-year university with interests in rural development
Educational Planner (Current Employee) –  Quillen College of MedicineDecember 14, 2015
I have worked at ETSU since 2010 as a Graduate Assistant. Since then, it has felt like home to me. The faculty and staff are all warm and welcoming. The university is small, and situated in a small town, so there is a coziness to the campus you don't find many other places.
Nice people to work with
Financial Aid Clerk (Current Employee) –  Johnson CityMarch 10, 2013
ETSU is the ugly step-sister of UT/Knoxville. Pay is ridiculously low for faculty, administrators and staff; yet, many stay, especially those born/raised here, because they are 'scared for their jobs'. Unfortunately, decades of clannish mentality prevail. The new President is nice, but, not sure if he is up to the task of 'shaking things up', i.e., working hard to substantially raise salaries, which have been stagnant for decades.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
everyone here is "scared for their job"; wages are humilatingly low for everything expected of you
tutor
Tutor (Current Employee) –  TNJanuary 5, 2016
Good place to work, but limited hours as students need help with classes. A lot of the students can't attend classes for events and you help fill the gap where they missed classes.
Decent and fair
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJuly 19, 2012
Overall, ETSU is decent and fair to work for. People (and students) are helpful for the most part. The downside (aside from the occasional bottleneck traffic) is salary level as the paygrade for many positions is rather low in comparison to the rest of the state (local area prices seem to compensate).
Pros
tolerable atmosphere, helpful people
Cons
paygrade, traffic/parking
low salary. hard to find a good doctor
faculty (Current Employee) –  johnson cityMarch 18, 2013
I am working as a faculty at ETSU. The salary is veryvery very low here. They do not appreciate hard work. A lot of poor and lazy people. It is very hard to find a good doctor. Health insurance is not good. I am looking for another job.
Pros
countryside poor
Cons
low salary, bad helath care
Great workplace
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNSeptember 22, 2015
Provides great work experience while in school. Very wonderful work environment. Allows you to express new ideas and gives you the real word work experience.