Easter Seals Metropolitan Chicago Employee Reviews

Former Pre School Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2016
When I was first hired with Easter Seals, I was ecstatic. I felt like I was moving up in the child care world. However that wasnt reality. The families and some what stagnant job market kept me working there longer than I expected to stay. The computers never worked and teachers had to always take work home.. always. Also, money for supplies was super scarce therefore the kids didnt have much. Once every two years we received new materials. However, by the time we received them the children that they were ordered for had outgrown them. The one thing I liked was my coworkers and families. We often leaned on each other for the best interest of the children. The salary was average starting out. The problem is, as a not for profit salary doesnt increase. There are no bonuses. Also as far as time off, its sketchy. By me working in the day care time off was not easily granted because workers needed to be in the class.
Pros
children
Cons
low wages, no raises
Very good company
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 22, 2016
Great company to work for. Flexible work schedule and they do value their employees. Friendly staff and management. Great benefits
Pros
flexible
A great mission but terrible management!!!
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2016
The management over the finance department is very disconnected from the day-to-day realities of the finance personnel. The impression I have witnessed with regards to management of the finance department is that they care more about the image of themselves, and their self-serving agendas. The benefits and time off at Easterseals are great, but you don't benefit from it if you are asked to come in on your requested days off or is not allowed to take time off. If you are seeking a work life balance...forget it! Working 55+ hour a week and some weekends was the norm for me. When I mentioned my workload concerns to management, I was told to take it or leave it. I was then told that I am a salaried employee and working 50-55 hours or more a week was to be expected. Working for Easterseals starts off leaving you feeling inspired, but ends with you feeling used and unappreciated. If you like being overworked, underpaid, and constantly stressed out about unreasonable expectations and deadlines and very little support, then this is the company for you! Good luck!!!
Pros
Enjoyed working w/the fiscal & program staff. Good benefits & very generous w/time off (vacation, sick days, holidays, etc.).
Cons
Unrealistic workload expectations. No work-life balance. No causal days (jeans). High turnover.
Easter Seals was a great learning experience for me.
1 aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2016
During my 5 years at Easter Seals, I learned a lot and received ample training in how to work with individuals with special needs. The only reason I left was because I felt that it was more important to the company have a full roster than to give individuals proper care. Also, the fact that the staff got a pay decrease while the upper management bought new cars and decided to move the central office from a building in the loop to the Trump Tower.
Pros
Getting to build relationships with our clients.
Cons
Low pay with a high stress job.
Management only cares about themselves not the true purpose of taking care of the students
Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2016
Promises are made with no intention of following through.
They provide no training because no one knows the job to even train.
Turnover is high
They only have one level of management so if you have a issue you have no one to go to
Very unorganized
Lack of communication
Everyone is stretched very thin expected management because they are never there
I like to know where the $34 million goes because the schools and staff aren't see it
Pros
Cons
No training, horrible communication, morale very low
Caring co-workers and strong management
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 17, 2015
Overall a really great place to work. Strong management team is always available and personal. Coworkers are top notch and trained to be best in field.
Pros
Invest in employee training, great management
Cons
work may be physically and emotionally draining.
Early Intervention
Service Coordinator/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2015
The most enjoyable part about my job is watching the children progress and transition from Early Intervention. It makes me very proud to have been a part of the team to help these families with children who have developmental delays or medical diagnoses. I have learned so much about how important Early Intervention is.
Nice place and great feeling helping people
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Park, ILFebruary 18, 2014
A very busy place with lots to do. you eventually learn a lot. because new thing come everyday. the hardest part of the job is a lot of paperwork.
Pros
free food sometimes
Independent yet supportive working environment
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2014
As a Service Coordinator at Easter Seals Metropolitan Chicago I was responsible for ensuring that children with disabilities received the necessary and most supportive care possible. It required me to work with a diverse population and handle any concerns between families, their therapists, and any other services they were receiving. The office in which I worked at consisted of a supportive staff that helped build team morale. Any concerns that arose were managed in a timely and efficient manner. The most enjoyable part of the job was being afforded the opportunity to work one-on-one with children and their families and providing them with the best customer service by being available and accommodating to their wants and needs. The most difficult part of the job was having to experience the struggles some families faced trying to receive medical treatment for their children.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Safety Concerns
A lot of changes are being made.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Chicago,ILDecember 3, 2013
The hardest part of this job is there is so many changes being mad. A lot of times things will be made and the staff wont know anything about it. The most enjoyable part is working with the kids. They have now went from salary to hourly which isn't good.
Pros
Cons
changes, hourly wages, no way to move up in the company.
The most enjoyable part of my job!
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2013
I love the daily challenges my students bring to the classroom. Each student is unique and special, and no two days are ever the same!
Sleep issues...behavior dynamics...communication problems...sensory needs! My daily goal is to help each student work on their goals, and have the best day possible!
This is an excellent company to work for.
Grants Writer and Web Sites Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2013
This is an excellent company to work for. The mission of Easter Seals is to improve quality of life for people with disabilities and other special needs.
Pros
great mission
Cons
as a nonprofit, opportunity is dependent on available funding.
Great Experience
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2012
Working for Easter Seals gave me an experience to get exposed to many ills in the communities that need to be addressed by someone. Easter Seals mission statement encompasses in helping those in need and getting them to a position of self-sufficiency.
Fun place to work.
Payroll Assistant. (Current Employee) –  Oak Park, Il.February 28, 2012
Learned new computer skills, Very nice people to work with. Very flexible hours. This is a Training and Employment Program.
Pros
flexible hour, very accomodating, undemanding atmosphere.
Cons
not enough hours, very little compensation, no future.