Eastern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work, but too much politics
Network Specialist Coord/Application Programmer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILAugust 19, 2015
Worked well with others when allowed. Very social department and organization. Worked with and in almost all areas of the department from the hardware to the software. Received a great overview of the duties and jobs needed for the operation of our department.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
office politics
Social and Simple
Dining Hall Employee (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 21, 2016
You are able to assign your own positions to work on certain days and how many hours that shift would be.
People were social and could switch between duties of shifts depending on how busy things got.
Coworkers were social and the requirement to work was to have a friendly work environment.
The hardest part of the job was cleaning because of all the different items to clean (e.g. dishes, giant pots and pans, mopping the floor) and clothes got wet during cold times.
Everything followed a simple order and there was always someone to ask if confused about a position.
Pros
Free dining food if you came in before your shift.
Cons
Contract terminated if you could not work required hours on special days
Zero Job Security / Horrific Management
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 15, 2016
Under NO circumstances should applicants accept "annually contracted" academic positions at EIU. Annual positions are viewed as expendable positions by management and layoffs or lack of promotion is becoming commonplace.

Unless you are applying for tenure-track academic position, avoid EIU like the plague.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Things not listed as "Pros"
Video Editor
Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 17, 2016
The place where I worked, CATS Multi Media Center, was a friendly work area and had a sense of family. I would normally come in finish previous video projects, see if there any other new projects to work on, and if there was not any projects I would simply be on standby and look up tutorials on the program we used in the job such as Premier.
Eastern Illinois University
TRIO/SSS OFFICE SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Eastern Illinois University is a wonderful place to work. I have daily contact with students, which I enjoy. My boss allows me to add to my skill set by ensuring I have opportunities to attend conferences, workshops and have a chance to enhance advisory skills with students.
Unfortunately, EIU is experiencing a severe budget crisis to the state's ongoing budget impasse.
productive, everyone got along & got job done !
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 2, 2016
Worked as BSW-Building Service Worker 3rd shift, got job done and then helped out with others jobs when someone called in! Teamwork being required! Worked there as listed on my resume from Aug 2004 to Mar 2016, was laid-off due to lack of funds!
Awesome
Graduate Assistant, Child Development Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 21, 2016
Awesome place to work. I wish I could have stayed, it was only a temporary position. I had the opportunity to work with both undergraduate students and faculty.
Pros
Sense of community, supportive, opportunity to grow
Cons
Lack of stability.
Great Academic Retail Environment
Bookstore Part Time Extra Help (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 10, 2016
This culture is very distinct as it caters to an academic client involving the sale of pencils to computers. Keeping up with the lifestyles of the young and educated keeps the environment youthful and vibrant.
great experience
Program Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 12, 2016
Working as a graduate assistant with both the human resources and IT department gave me an abundance of knowledge, responsibilities, and real time experience.
Pros
flexible hours for college students
Cons
short notice for deadlines
Loved it
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 17, 2016
All of my work experiences at Eastern have been amazing. The managers I have had have been amazing and we have built a professional relationship. I can say they have prepared me to work in offices and work with multiple hats.
Athletics Marketing Internship
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, IllinoisApril 20, 2016
Being an intern with the Eastern Illinois Athletic department was a very rewarding experience. I was able to gain valuable knowledge and skills in how to market for athletic events
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Productive and Interacting Work Place
College Work Study (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 9, 2016
Everyone is smiling and having a good day, we all get along. Learn how to do different things and then having the stick for a while.
Pros
Get to work on homework when not asked to do anything
Cons
No break, and no benefits
Skill-developing, Encouraging Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 12, 2016
I truly gained incredible experience from my positions at EIU. The management was always supportive of future goals and academic success.
Pros
Room and Board, Monthly Stipend, Learning New Skills
Great place to learn new skills
Hadoop Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 28, 2016
Great place to learn new skills and working is fun in EIU. Especially, i like the team work because each team member can contribute different ideas and opinions.
Productive and fun work area to design quality costumes.
Costume Designer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 9, 2016
Working here I have learned a lot of new skills that will benefit me in my life. Skills like sewing, creativity, social, and management.
Great place to work.
Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Eastern is a great place to work and has wonderful caring people. I enjoyed my work in the Admission/Transfer Office as well as my current position in the Registrars Office.
Pros
Friendly, helpful
Cons
no state budget to help funding
Nice place to work if you "fit in"
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  600 Lincoln Ave, Charleston IL 61920June 3, 2012
I had 3 different jobs here, one was temporary, a 3 month help out for the secretaries there. I felt like an outsider, was not included in much of the chat, but the professor at the time liked my work. My other 2 jobs I got fired from with no real clear explanations why. The first time I worked in the library, and loved the job, but was let go saying that "I would be better suited to another position at the college", which wasn't as easy as it sounded. Turns out I had to start my civil service tests all over again to be considered, I always did excellent on my tests and was always at the top of the registers, but my inexperience ultimately lost me a lot of jobs. My other job was at a dorm, and it was my favorite job ever. Very laid back, casual. But after a few months I was fired again with no explanation, other than I "wasn't doing my job". I WAS doing my job, I hate to say this, but it must have been something other than what they told me.
Pros
decent salary, good breaks, mcdonalds on campus
Cons
judgemental people, rigid sticklers for rules and regulations
Productive and friendly group of people to work with
Admissions and Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 22, 2015
It was a pleasure to serve students, faculty and staff and see that our work in records everyday was helping people advance in their education and careers.

I learned to multi-task and solve problems while maintaining kind and courteous communication with everyone we served.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Productive and professional workplace
Assistant to Professor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILNovember 17, 2015
I enjoyed working at Eastern Illinois University. It allowed me to continue learning as i worked and what i learned was extremely interesting.
Great
Student Liaison - Machining Center (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 10, 2015
As with an state job in Illinois if you can get on do it. The benefits are worth the effort. Great healthcare package. Highly recommended.

4.4