Eastern Illinois University

Eastern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Very tolerant workplace
Black Student Union Member (Former Employee), Charleston, ILJune 13, 2015
Being at EIU was good. I can definitely tolerant the quiet environment that I was in. Their service and security were amazing. I felt completely safe at EIU. The people were very welcoming and nice, which I am not used to back at Chicago. The hardest part was being focused. The easiest part was being able to meet new people.
Higher Education Institute with great ambition
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, ILJune 12, 2015
Eastern Illinois University is great! Each of the positions I've held have been both challenging and rewarding. They each required a great deal of time management, dedication, and strong will. I appreciated each of the staff teams I had the opportunity of working with, The were structured and very efficient. I'm extremely happy for the opportunities.
Eastern Illinois University - A decent place to work while in school
Residential hall front desk assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
Pros: Relaxed environment, good co-workers
Cons: Sporadically busy and requires a lot of multitasking
I worked two jobs at EIU: I was the front desk assistant at Thomas Hall and I was also a copyeditor for the daily school newspaper.

Thomas Hall required me to interact with residents and their guest. I fielded questions and answered phone calls. I also maintained a cash drawer and distributed mail. Management was relaxed, yet organized. My co-workers were all students and all of them very willing to help out. The hardest part of the job was the sometimes sudden influx of duties - all at the same time. Multitasking skills are a must. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers. It helps you meet new people on campus.
An amazing professional experience
Graduate Assistant, LGBTQA Resource Center (Former Employee), Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
The LGBTQA Resource Center at Eastern Illinois was brand new as of 2013. I was the first Graduate Assistant to the Center, and primary staff member. In a sense, I, along with the members of our LGBTQA Advisory Committee, built the Center from the ground up. I learned a lot about developing an office, creating programming, marketing, coordinating and developing trainings, as well as how to work independently and as part of a team. It was a truly invaluable experience.
Small Liberal Arts College
Instructor (Former Employee), Charleston, ILMay 19, 2015
Pros: my own office space, access to secretarial services, campus library
Cons: age of students...young adults are sometimes not as serious about their studies as one might hope
My job at EIU was incredibly rewarding and always interesting. It was easy to be completely dedicated to my work because I love people and I love reading and writing even more. I thoroughly enjoy the discipline of English language and literature. It is gratifying to work in a research-oriented environment where all questions eventually have answers and all problems have positive solutions.
Productive and social workplace
Student Life Worker (Former Employee), Charleston, ILMay 4, 2015
I worked in the Student Activity Center which is an office that host several registered student organization offices as well as mailboxes. A typical day consisted of answering phone calls and providing information to patrons. When necessary I would make transfers to the appropriate offices and take messages. Sorting mail and making photo copies of documents and applications filing them accordingly was also apart of my duties. My co-workers with the exception of our boss and directors of the school were college students so the environment was very laid back and social however productive. The Student Activity Center is a hub for all information pertaining to campus life.
Fun
Admissions associate (Former Employee), Charleston, ILApril 30, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Short break
Part time: Just calls to get enrollment up and to assist students with the enrollment process. Also to persuade potential students to come to EIU.
fun teaching environment with interactive workplace
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), charleston, ilApril 21, 2015
A typical day at work consist of filing, organizing, and running errands. The office is usually busy with students and professors coming in and out. There were many lectures and materials that needed to be copied and posted. I made copies of exams and lecture notes for professors. I also hung up important notes/ flyers that needed to be seen immediately. I delivered any mail that needed to be sent on campus. I returned library books and test materials. I learned how to manage my time in order, especially between work and class. I didnt really have many coworkers, as we had different shifts for work most of the time. The hardest part about my job was getting in contact with the department's chair, who was a very busy man. Many students had a hard time reaching him, therefore I was always trying to find him,. But I found took it as a challenge. The most enjoyable part was working with the professors. Many of them were very nice. After a few months of working, they began to remember my name and ask for my help more often.
Interesting
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Charleston, ILApril 20, 2015
This was not a paid job. I enjoyed the experience and spent many days learning about the social science experiment process as well as researching, collecting data, and conducting my own experiments.
Professional educational workplace
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Charleston, ILApril 15, 2015
The University offers great help in gaining knowledge in study areas as well as helping to develop communication, problem solving, and research skills.
A good place to teach
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Charleston, ILMarch 24, 2015
Eastern Illinois University provides an environment that is ideal for teaching. The students are willing to learn and many of the faculty and staff help to create a great working environment. Unfortunately, due to bad management, the university is losing a lot of money, and therefore they are letting a lot of people go. At this time I would say that it is not a secure place to work.
Good for education research
Graduate Assistant - Economics Department (Former Employee), Charleston, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: had to work 20 hours a week
Cons: had to travel in snow time
I learned to teach undergraduate student. Did research with professor and published some work. Good management and nice co workers.
Lab Technician
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Charleston, ILFebruary 11, 2015
This job was a requirement for a class, and it really helped me get used to working with patients. It is one thing to know the material but it is a completely different world when you are face to face with a patient and have to complete the tasks at hand.
Great
Student Liaison - Machining Center (Former Employee), Charleston, ILFebruary 10, 2015
As with an state job in Illinois if you can get on do it. The benefits are worth the effort. Great healthcare package. Highly recommended.
Great place
Physics and Math Tutor (Current Employee), Charleston, ILFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work is helping various students in various subjects in either physics or math. I have learned a lot more about these subjects from tutoring than lectures. I realized once you teach something is when you really learn about that subject. The hardest part of the job is when someone might bring something I haven't seen for a while and I need to refresh myself, so we look through the book together and learn about it together. If I can't figure it out I will get help, but most times I am able to re-teach the problem to myself and then to the student. My favorite part of working as a tutor for Eastern is being able to help a variety of students get through their work. I love to help people so it is very satisfying.
Rigorous and fullfilling workplace.
Student Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, ILJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free cookies and coffee
Typically I had a heavy work load. There was always multiple task for me to handle throughout the duration of my shift. There was never a dull day working here. I enjoyed helping the professors in the office with anything to make their jobs easier. Anything from making their coffee to make copies of their class assignments my work was always meaningful in some way. The things I enjoyed most was assisting the students that came into the office, scheduling appointments to see their professors, locating previous student records upon request made me feel helpful assuring the importance of my job. The hardest thing was running multiple errands around campus for the office when needed because some places were at least 15 minutes away on foot and carrying multiple supplies to the great distances was difficult and tiresome at times. I love my supervisor they were very kind and helpful and set my personal standards on how to carry myself in a professional environment and I am appreciative of that experience.
Positive work environment
Building Supervisor (Current Employee), Charleston, ILNovember 28, 2014
Supervise building activities.
Count and handle money.
Set up meeting rooms for events.
Everyone always seemed to have a positive attitude while working.
Most rewarding job
Student Grounds Worker (Former Employee), Charleston, ILNovember 24, 2014
This was the most rewarding job I ever had. Not only was I working for the university I was attending, I was contributing to the schools beauty. I worked under the head groundskeeper. We tended to garden's, fixed up areas, and overall made the campus look beautiful. The hardest part about this job was the blistering summer sun. Most days it was unbearably hot but other than that I enjoyed this job immensely. I learned a lot about the schools history, plants, and how to work independently but apart of a team.
Great Small Campus with Friendly Staff & Faculty
Instructor (Current Employee), Charleston, ILOctober 20, 2014
Pros: adaptable schedule
Cons: budget
I am a huge fan of Eastern Illinois University. However, the budget situation in Illinois is hurting our universities ability to keep staff throughout the state--it's not just an issue at EIU. I returned to EIU after working out in real world for several decades. I have worked in government, corrections, and public health agencies as well as working for several non-profit organizations that help people in many ways. EIU is a great place to work and is full of great people. However, there is a hiring freeze and the state politics make it not as pleasant as it used to be. I graduated from EIU and I sent my children there as well. There are a lot of families with the tradition of sending their families to EIU because it is a friendly and safe small school in the rural setting.
Awesome atmosphere.
Development Intern (Former Employee), Charleston, ILSeptember 16, 2014
A typical day as an intern for EIU required me to do paperwork and expand my knowledge in development for my education.

1 2 3