Eastern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Productive, hardworking, at times chaotic, learn an aspect of college campus one doesn't always see
Conference Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILAugust 5, 2013
A typical day at work ranged from day to day. One day someone could be working at a desk doing simple task, another day someone could be doing laundry, making beds and moving linen across campus. Each day is a new adventure. Management for this job ranged based on what building one was in. Some were very laid back where others not so much. Co-workers were the same as management, some were very reasonable where as others who had worked there for some time did not want new input into tasks and stuck to what they knew. The hardest part of the job trying to find a voice in suggesting new methods and time saving techniques. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many new people, from the school, but mostly everyone who came and stayed with us for their camps and tournaments. One will learn a lot working in this job; however, I learned the most that hard work, dedication and a smile on your face will get you through the day even if you do not feel you will be able to.
Pros
free housing, food and workout facility. capable of continuing education while working.
Cons
mandatory stay days/ weekends, gossipy co-workers
Rigorous and fullfilling workplace.
Student Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJanuary 17, 2015
Typically I had a heavy work load. There was always multiple task for me to handle throughout the duration of my shift. There was never a dull day working here. I enjoyed helping the professors in the office with anything to make their jobs easier. Anything from making their coffee to make copies of their class assignments my work was always meaningful in some way. The things I enjoyed most was assisting the students that came into the office, scheduling appointments to see their professors, locating previous student records upon request made me feel helpful assuring the importance of my job. The hardest thing was running multiple errands around campus for the office when needed because some places were at least 15 minutes away on foot and carrying multiple supplies to the great distances was difficult and tiresome at times. I love my supervisor they were very kind and helpful and set my personal standards on how to carry myself in a professional environment and I am appreciative of that experience.
Pros
free cookies and coffee
fun teaching environment with interactive workplace
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  charleston, ilApril 21, 2015
A typical day at work consist of filing, organizing, and running errands. The office is usually busy with students and professors coming in and out. There were many lectures and materials that needed to be copied and posted. I made copies of exams and lecture notes for professors. I also hung up important notes/ flyers that needed to be seen immediately. I delivered any mail that needed to be sent on campus. I returned library books and test materials. I learned how to manage my time in order, especially between work and class. I didnt really have many coworkers, as we had different shifts for work most of the time. The hardest part about my job was getting in contact with the department's chair, who was a very busy man. Many students had a hard time reaching him, therefore I was always trying to find him,. But I found took it as a challenge. The most enjoyable part was working with the professors. Many of them were very nice. After a few months of working, they began to remember my name and ask for my help more often.
Nice place to work if you "fit in"
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  600 Lincoln Ave, Charleston IL 61920June 3, 2012
I had 3 different jobs here, one was temporary, a 3 month help out for the secretaries there. I felt like an outsider, was not included in much of the chat, but the professor at the time liked my work. My other 2 jobs I got fired from with no real clear explanations why. The first time I worked in the library, and loved the job, but was let go saying that "I would be better suited to another position at the college", which wasn't as easy as it sounded. Turns out I had to start my civil service tests all over again to be considered, I always did excellent on my tests and was always at the top of the registers, but my inexperience ultimately lost me a lot of jobs. My other job was at a dorm, and it was my favorite job ever. Very laid back, casual. But after a few months I was fired again with no explanation, other than I "wasn't doing my job". I WAS doing my job, I hate to say this, but it must have been something other than what they told me.
Pros
decent salary, good breaks, mcdonalds on campus
Cons
judgemental people, rigid sticklers for rules and regulations
Great Small Campus with Friendly Staff & Faculty
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILOctober 20, 2014
I am a huge fan of Eastern Illinois University. However, the budget situation in Illinois is hurting our universities ability to keep staff throughout the state--it's not just an issue at EIU. I returned to EIU after working out in real world for several decades. I have worked in government, corrections, and public health agencies as well as working for several non-profit organizations that help people in many ways. EIU is a great place to work and is full of great people. However, there is a hiring freeze and the state politics make it not as pleasant as it used to be. I graduated from EIU and I sent my children there as well. There are a lot of families with the tradition of sending their families to EIU because it is a friendly and safe small school in the rural setting.
Pros
adaptable schedule
Cons
budget
Eastern Illinois University - A decent place to work while in school
Residential hall front desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
I worked two jobs at EIU: I was the front desk assistant at Thomas Hall and I was also a copyeditor for the daily school newspaper.

Thomas Hall required me to interact with residents and their guest. I fielded questions and answered phone calls. I also maintained a cash drawer and distributed mail. Management was relaxed, yet organized. My co-workers were all students and all of them very willing to help out. The hardest part of the job was the sometimes sudden influx of duties - all at the same time. Multitasking skills are a must. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers. It helps you meet new people on campus.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good co-workers
Cons
Sporadically busy and requires a lot of multitasking
Productive, busy, and highly social workplace.
Student Worker/ Checker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJuly 17, 2013
Productive, busy, and fun while I greet my fellow peers before hey eat. I learned very good customer service because I was the first person students saw before they paid to eat.
My coworkers were amazing, some of which I had classes with and that was probably the most enjoyable part of the job.
The hardest part of the job was probably the same as the most enjoyable, working with my peers. People would try and stay and talk to me or hold conversations too long and I would have to politely remind them that I was working and cant have any possible distractions.
Pros
free lunch, being around classmates and peers, and experience working with cash.
Cons
there was not enough hours, as a student i could only work a maximum of 20 hours a week.
Great place
Physics and Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work is helping various students in various subjects in either physics or math. I have learned a lot more about these subjects from tutoring than lectures. I realized once you teach something is when you really learn about that subject. The hardest part of the job is when someone might bring something I haven't seen for a while and I need to refresh myself, so we look through the book together and learn about it together. If I can't figure it out I will get help, but most times I am able to re-teach the problem to myself and then to the student. My favorite part of working as a tutor for Eastern is being able to help a variety of students get through their work. I love to help people so it is very satisfying.
Productive and social workplace
Student Life Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 4, 2015
I worked in the Student Activity Center which is an office that host several registered student organization offices as well as mailboxes. A typical day consisted of answering phone calls and providing information to patrons. When necessary I would make transfers to the appropriate offices and take messages. Sorting mail and making photo copies of documents and applications filing them accordingly was also apart of my duties. My co-workers with the exception of our boss and directors of the school were college students so the environment was very laid back and social however productive. The Student Activity Center is a hub for all information pertaining to campus life.
Small Liberal Arts College
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 19, 2015
My job at EIU was incredibly rewarding and always interesting. It was easy to be completely dedicated to my work because I love people and I love reading and writing even more. I thoroughly enjoy the discipline of English language and literature. It is gratifying to work in a research-oriented environment where all questions eventually have answers and all problems have positive solutions.
Pros
my own office space, access to secretarial services, campus library
Cons
age of students...young adults are sometimes not as serious about their studies as one might hope
I obtain very useful tools from working there.
Assessment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILMarch 26, 2013
It was interesting learning about the importance of setting up a sporting event. I was always the type of person that just showed up to play and leave. while working this job it takes a lot of planning to run a smooth event without any conflict. you have to be about to adabt to any situation without losing your manners. I really enjoyed working with the collegiate level staff. I felt i gain a lot of use tips that i can use in the workforce.
Pros
watch the sporting event close up
Cons
not enough workdays
Good learning environment.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  charleston, ILAugust 20, 2012
•Supervised Adult Fitness Participants w/ exercise evaluation, prescription, programs, and individual case load of 30 participants.
•Manager of 25 individual undergraduate students in the Human Performance Laboratory w/ risk stratification and fitness assessments.
•Taught KSS 1600 weight training classes for undergraduate students.
•Worked one-on-one with hypertensive, sedentary, dyslipidemia and obese clients. Safely performed health history, testing, evaluation and exercise prescriptions.
An amazing professional experience
Graduate Assistant, LGBTQA Resource Center (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
The LGBTQA Resource Center at Eastern Illinois was brand new as of 2013. I was the first Graduate Assistant to the Center, and primary staff member. In a sense, I, along with the members of our LGBTQA Advisory Committee, built the Center from the ground up. I learned a lot about developing an office, creating programming, marketing, coordinating and developing trainings, as well as how to work independently and as part of a team. It was a truly invaluable experience.
Most rewarding job
Student Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILNovember 24, 2014
This was the most rewarding job I ever had. Not only was I working for the university I was attending, I was contributing to the schools beauty. I worked under the head groundskeeper. We tended to garden's, fixed up areas, and overall made the campus look beautiful. The hardest part about this job was the blistering summer sun. Most days it was unbearably hot but other than that I enjoyed this job immensely. I learned a lot about the schools history, plants, and how to work independently but apart of a team.
Fun, Easy Job to Make Money
Head Office Dining Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 14, 2013
This job is great for college students looking to make some money. You can work up to 20 hours a week or as few as you would like. It lets you decide how much you want to make. The chance to move into student management is available with hard work. Working with other students you can meet a lot of really great people. A plus is you receive one free meal every time you work.
Higher Education Institute with great ambition
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 12, 2015
Eastern Illinois University is great! Each of the positions I've held have been both challenging and rewarding. They each required a great deal of time management, dedication, and strong will. I appreciated each of the staff teams I had the opportunity of working with, The were structured and very efficient. I'm extremely happy for the opportunities.
A good place to teach
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILMarch 24, 2015
Eastern Illinois University provides an environment that is ideal for teaching. The students are willing to learn and many of the faculty and staff help to create a great working environment. Unfortunately, due to bad management, the university is losing a lot of money, and therefore they are letting a lot of people go. At this time I would say that it is not a secure place to work.
Productive and friendly group of people to work with
Admissions and Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 22, 2015
It was a pleasure to serve students, faculty and staff and see that our work in records everyday was helping people advance in their education and careers.

I learned to multi-task and solve problems while maintaining kind and courteous communication with everyone we served.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Great place to work, but too much politics
Network Specialist Coord/Application Programmer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILAugust 19, 2015
Worked well with others when allowed. Very social department and organization. Worked with and in almost all areas of the department from the hardware to the software. Received a great overview of the duties and jobs needed for the operation of our department.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
office politics
Fun work atmosphere and new experience
PROWL LEADER (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILOctober 14, 2015
Every day was a new day. You always came into work and was greeted with a smile. Every one came in and tried to make the day a better day. You got to help transition in 3000+ new students and transferring students into Eastern Illinois University. You get to meet many new people and expand your network.
Pros
Fun and Happy environment

4.5