Eastern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Night Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 20, 2016
A typical college student job.Between the hours of 12 and 4 I sat in the lobby's of numerous dormitories and alerted my supervisors and authorities of any suspicious activities.
Excellent
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 12, 2016
I have learned to assist faculty and students with their online classes. I assist them in working their the school's online learning management system, Desire2Learn.
An amazing opportunity
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 12, 2016
My supervisor was so compassionate and understanding when it came to issues of work. They helped me through some very tough issues on the job. The most enjoyable part was getting to know and connect with my residents. The people I got to know through this job made it worthwhile to me.
Pros
Free housing, opens opportunities for growth.
Cons
A lot of paperwork, can be tiring.
Exciting and informative internship
Health Promotion and Education Intern (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILJuly 19, 2016
A typical day of work consits of me coming in around 7:30 A.M and working on the weekly assignments that I am givin along with the other intern. I have briefly covered the seven areas of responsibility throughout my internship. I have also gotten use to giving speeches and presentation on health at my university. I spend most of my time blog writing and working on and composing research projects for the health director of the university.
Pros
Everyone at work is amazing. Great people.
Cons
Unpaid internship
Excellent environment to work in
Statistical Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJuly 7, 2016
Great to work in a public university. A lot of diversity. A typical day at work consist of working with students and faculty.
Pros
University funded lunches and great people.
Cons
Im a non smoker. You have to walk in the parking lot around individuals who smoke
Great place to learn new skills
Hadoop Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 28, 2016
Great place to learn new skills and working is fun in EIU. Especially, i like the team work because each team member can contribute different ideas and opinions.
Awesome
Graduate Assistant, Child Development Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 21, 2016
Awesome place to work. I wish I could have stayed, it was only a temporary position. I had the opportunity to work with both undergraduate students and faculty.
Pros
Sense of community, supportive, opportunity to grow
Cons
Lack of stability.
Loved it
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 17, 2016
All of my work experiences at Eastern have been amazing. The managers I have had have been amazing and we have built a professional relationship. I can say they have prepared me to work in offices and work with multiple hats.
productive, everyone got along & got job done !
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 2, 2016
Worked as BSW-Building Service Worker 3rd shift, got job done and then helped out with others jobs when someone called in! Teamwork being required! Worked there as listed on my resume from Aug 2004 to Mar 2016, was laid-off due to lack of funds!
Social and Simple
Dining Hall Employee (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 21, 2016
You are able to assign your own positions to work on certain days and how many hours that shift would be.
People were social and could switch between duties of shifts depending on how busy things got.
Coworkers were social and the requirement to work was to have a friendly work environment.
The hardest part of the job was cleaning because of all the different items to clean (e.g. dishes, giant pots and pans, mopping the floor) and clothes got wet during cold times.
Everything followed a simple order and there was always someone to ask if confused about a position.
Pros
Free dining food if you came in before your shift.
Cons
Contract terminated if you could not work required hours on special days
Video Editor
Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 17, 2016
The place where I worked, CATS Multi Media Center, was a friendly work area and had a sense of family. I would normally come in finish previous video projects, see if there any other new projects to work on, and if there was not any projects I would simply be on standby and look up tutorials on the program we used in the job such as Premier.
Zero Job Security / Horrific Management
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 15, 2016
Under NO circumstances should applicants accept "annually contracted" academic positions at EIU. Annual positions are viewed as expendable positions by management and layoffs or lack of promotion is becoming commonplace.

Unless you are applying for tenure-track academic position, avoid EIU like the plague.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Things not listed as "Pros"
great experience
Program Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 12, 2016
Working as a graduate assistant with both the human resources and IT department gave me an abundance of knowledge, responsibilities, and real time experience.
Pros
flexible hours for college students
Cons
short notice for deadlines
Great Academic Retail Environment
Bookstore Part Time Extra Help (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 10, 2016
This culture is very distinct as it caters to an academic client involving the sale of pencils to computers. Keeping up with the lifestyles of the young and educated keeps the environment youthful and vibrant.
Productive and fun work area to design quality costumes.
Costume Designer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 9, 2016
Working here I have learned a lot of new skills that will benefit me in my life. Skills like sewing, creativity, social, and management.
Athletics Marketing Internship
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, IllinoisApril 20, 2016
Being an intern with the Eastern Illinois Athletic department was a very rewarding experience. I was able to gain valuable knowledge and skills in how to market for athletic events
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Skill-developing, Encouraging Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 12, 2016
I truly gained incredible experience from my positions at EIU. The management was always supportive of future goals and academic success.
Pros
Room and Board, Monthly Stipend, Learning New Skills
Productive and Interacting Work Place
College Work Study (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 9, 2016
Everyone is smiling and having a good day, we all get along. Learn how to do different things and then having the stick for a while.
Pros
Get to work on homework when not asked to do anything
Cons
No break, and no benefits
Great place to work.
Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Eastern is a great place to work and has wonderful caring people. I enjoyed my work in the Admission/Transfer Office as well as my current position in the Registrars Office.
Pros
Friendly, helpful
Cons
no state budget to help funding
Eastern Illinois University
TRIO/SSS OFFICE SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Eastern Illinois University is a wonderful place to work. I have daily contact with students, which I enjoy. My boss allows me to add to my skill set by ensuring I have opportunities to attend conferences, workshops and have a chance to enhance advisory skills with students.
Unfortunately, EIU is experiencing a severe budget crisis to the state's ongoing budget impasse.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2