Eastern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Athletics Marketing Internship
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, IllinoisApril 20, 2016
Being an intern with the Eastern Illinois Athletic department was a very rewarding experience. I was able to gain valuable knowledge and skills in how to market for athletic events
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Skill-developing, Encouraging Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 12, 2016
I truly gained incredible experience from my positions at EIU. The management was always supportive of future goals and academic success.
Pros
Room and Board, Monthly Stipend, Learning New Skills
Productive and Interacting Work Place
College Work Study (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 9, 2016
Everyone is smiling and having a good day, we all get along. Learn how to do different things and then having the stick for a while.
Pros
Get to work on homework when not asked to do anything
Cons
No break, and no benefits
Great place to work.
Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Eastern is a great place to work and has wonderful caring people. I enjoyed my work in the Admission/Transfer Office as well as my current position in the Registrars Office.
Pros
Friendly, helpful
Cons
no state budget to help funding
Eastern Illinois University
TRIO/SSS OFFICE SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Eastern Illinois University is a wonderful place to work. I have daily contact with students, which I enjoy. My boss allows me to add to my skill set by ensuring I have opportunities to attend conferences, workshops and have a chance to enhance advisory skills with students.
Unfortunately, EIU is experiencing a severe budget crisis to the state's ongoing budget impasse.
Productive and professional workplace
Assistant to Professor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILNovember 17, 2015
I enjoyed working at Eastern Illinois University. It allowed me to continue learning as i worked and what i learned was extremely interesting.
Fun work atmosphere and new experience
PROWL LEADER (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILOctober 14, 2015
Every day was a new day. You always came into work and was greeted with a smile. Every one came in and tried to make the day a better day. You got to help transition in 3000+ new students and transferring students into Eastern Illinois University. You get to meet many new people and expand your network.
Pros
Fun and Happy environment
Productive and friendly group of people to work with
Admissions and Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 22, 2015
It was a pleasure to serve students, faculty and staff and see that our work in records everyday was helping people advance in their education and careers.

I learned to multi-task and solve problems while maintaining kind and courteous communication with everyone we served.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Referee
Member of Lambda Chi Alpha- Phi Alpha Zeta Chapter (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 15, 2015
I just Refereed co-ed and mens Intramural basketball games during the fall and winter time. We were taught the basics of refereeing before we got onto the court.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no consistent hours
Great place to work, but too much politics
Network Specialist Coord/Application Programmer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILAugust 19, 2015
Worked well with others when allowed. Very social department and organization. Worked with and in almost all areas of the department from the hardware to the software. Received a great overview of the duties and jobs needed for the operation of our department.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
office politics
Great place to go to school/work for
Night Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILAugust 18, 2015
Just a great place to work and study at. Very safe environment with fantastic teachers. Same can be said of other staff members.
Productive, fun learning environment
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, IllinoisAugust 2, 2015
It was a nice job to have while living on a college campus. I mostly answered calls and sorted mail. I was able to meet more people by working at the front desk. Overall, it was a nice experience.
Very tolerant workplace
Black Student Union Member (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 13, 2015
Being at EIU was good. I can definitely tolerant the quiet environment that I was in. Their service and security were amazing. I felt completely safe at EIU. The people were very welcoming and nice, which I am not used to back at Chicago. The hardest part was being focused. The easiest part was being able to meet new people.
Higher Education Institute with great ambition
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 12, 2015
Eastern Illinois University is great! Each of the positions I've held have been both challenging and rewarding. They each required a great deal of time management, dedication, and strong will. I appreciated each of the staff teams I had the opportunity of working with, The were structured and very efficient. I'm extremely happy for the opportunities.
Eastern Illinois University - A decent place to work while in school
Residential hall front desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
I worked two jobs at EIU: I was the front desk assistant at Thomas Hall and I was also a copyeditor for the daily school newspaper.

Thomas Hall required me to interact with residents and their guest. I fielded questions and answered phone calls. I also maintained a cash drawer and distributed mail. Management was relaxed, yet organized. My co-workers were all students and all of them very willing to help out. The hardest part of the job was the sometimes sudden influx of duties - all at the same time. Multitasking skills are a must. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers. It helps you meet new people on campus.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good co-workers
Cons
Sporadically busy and requires a lot of multitasking
An amazing professional experience
Graduate Assistant, LGBTQA Resource Center (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
The LGBTQA Resource Center at Eastern Illinois was brand new as of 2013. I was the first Graduate Assistant to the Center, and primary staff member. In a sense, I, along with the members of our LGBTQA Advisory Committee, built the Center from the ground up. I learned a lot about developing an office, creating programming, marketing, coordinating and developing trainings, as well as how to work independently and as part of a team. It was a truly invaluable experience.
Small Liberal Arts College
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 19, 2015
My job at EIU was incredibly rewarding and always interesting. It was easy to be completely dedicated to my work because I love people and I love reading and writing even more. I thoroughly enjoy the discipline of English language and literature. It is gratifying to work in a research-oriented environment where all questions eventually have answers and all problems have positive solutions.
Pros
my own office space, access to secretarial services, campus library
Cons
age of students...young adults are sometimes not as serious about their studies as one might hope
Productive and social workplace
Student Life Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 4, 2015
I worked in the Student Activity Center which is an office that host several registered student organization offices as well as mailboxes. A typical day consisted of answering phone calls and providing information to patrons. When necessary I would make transfers to the appropriate offices and take messages. Sorting mail and making photo copies of documents and applications filing them accordingly was also apart of my duties. My co-workers with the exception of our boss and directors of the school were college students so the environment was very laid back and social however productive. The Student Activity Center is a hub for all information pertaining to campus life.
Fun
Admissions associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 30, 2015
Part time: Just calls to get enrollment up and to assist students with the enrollment process. Also to persuade potential students to come to EIU.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short break
fun teaching environment with interactive workplace
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  charleston, ilApril 21, 2015
A typical day at work consist of filing, organizing, and running errands. The office is usually busy with students and professors coming in and out. There were many lectures and materials that needed to be copied and posted. I made copies of exams and lecture notes for professors. I also hung up important notes/ flyers that needed to be seen immediately. I delivered any mail that needed to be sent on campus. I returned library books and test materials. I learned how to manage my time in order, especially between work and class. I didnt really have many coworkers, as we had different shifts for work most of the time. The hardest part about my job was getting in contact with the department's chair, who was a very busy man. Many students had a hard time reaching him, therefore I was always trying to find him,. But I found took it as a challenge. The most enjoyable part was working with the professors. Many of them were very nice. After a few months of working, they began to remember my name and ask for my help more often.

4.5