Eastern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Video Editor
Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 17, 2016
The place where I worked, CATS Multi Media Center, was a friendly work area and had a sense of family. I would normally come in finish previous video projects, see if there any other new projects to work on, and if there was not any projects I would simply be on standby and look up tutorials on the program we used in the job such as Premier.
Skill-developing, Encouraging Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILApril 12, 2016
I truly gained incredible experience from my positions at EIU. The management was always supportive of future goals and academic success.
Pros
Room and Board, Monthly Stipend, Learning New Skills
great experience
Program Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 12, 2016
Working as a graduate assistant with both the human resources and IT department gave me an abundance of knowledge, responsibilities, and real time experience.
Pros
flexible hours for college students
Cons
short notice for deadlines
Athletics Marketing Internship
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, IllinoisApril 20, 2016
Being an intern with the Eastern Illinois Athletic department was a very rewarding experience. I was able to gain valuable knowledge and skills in how to market for athletic events
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Eastern Illinois University
TRIO/SSS OFFICE SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 20, 2016
Eastern Illinois University is a wonderful place to work. I have daily contact with students, which I enjoy. My boss allows me to add to my skill set by ensuring I have opportunities to attend conferences, workshops and have a chance to enhance advisory skills with students.
Unfortunately, EIU is experiencing a severe budget crisis to the state's ongoing budget impasse.
Great
Student Liaison - Machining Center (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 10, 2015
As with an state job in Illinois if you can get on do it. The benefits are worth the effort. Great healthcare package. Highly recommended.
Great place to work.
Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Eastern is a great place to work and has wonderful caring people. I enjoyed my work in the Admission/Transfer Office as well as my current position in the Registrars Office.
Pros
Friendly, helpful
Cons
no state budget to help funding
Eastern Illinois University - A decent place to work while in school
Residential hall front desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
I worked two jobs at EIU: I was the front desk assistant at Thomas Hall and I was also a copyeditor for the daily school newspaper.

Thomas Hall required me to interact with residents and their guest. I fielded questions and answered phone calls. I also maintained a cash drawer and distributed mail. Management was relaxed, yet organized. My co-workers were all students and all of them very willing to help out. The hardest part of the job was the sometimes sudden influx of duties - all at the same time. Multitasking skills are a must. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers. It helps you meet new people on campus.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good co-workers
Cons
Sporadically busy and requires a lot of multitasking
Productive and friendly group of people to work with
Admissions and Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILSeptember 22, 2015
It was a pleasure to serve students, faculty and staff and see that our work in records everyday was helping people advance in their education and careers.

I learned to multi-task and solve problems while maintaining kind and courteous communication with everyone we served.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Great Small Campus with Friendly Staff & Faculty
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILOctober 20, 2014
I am a huge fan of Eastern Illinois University. However, the budget situation in Illinois is hurting our universities ability to keep staff throughout the state--it's not just an issue at EIU. I returned to EIU after working out in real world for several decades. I have worked in government, corrections, and public health agencies as well as working for several non-profit organizations that help people in many ways. EIU is a great place to work and is full of great people. However, there is a hiring freeze and the state politics make it not as pleasant as it used to be. I graduated from EIU and I sent my children there as well. There are a lot of families with the tradition of sending their families to EIU because it is a friendly and safe small school in the rural setting.
Pros
Adaptable schedule
Cons
Budget
Fun work atmosphere and new experience
PROWL LEADER (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILOctober 14, 2015
Every day was a new day. You always came into work and was greeted with a smile. Every one came in and tried to make the day a better day. You got to help transition in 3000+ new students and transferring students into Eastern Illinois University. You get to meet many new people and expand your network.
Pros
Fun and Happy environment
Productive and social workplace
Student Life Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 4, 2015
I worked in the Student Activity Center which is an office that host several registered student organization offices as well as mailboxes. A typical day consisted of answering phone calls and providing information to patrons. When necessary I would make transfers to the appropriate offices and take messages. Sorting mail and making photo copies of documents and applications filing them accordingly was also apart of my duties. My co-workers with the exception of our boss and directors of the school were college students so the environment was very laid back and social however productive. The Student Activity Center is a hub for all information pertaining to campus life.
Productive and professional workplace
Assistant to Professor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILNovember 17, 2015
I enjoyed working at Eastern Illinois University. It allowed me to continue learning as i worked and what i learned was extremely interesting.
Higher Education Institute with great ambition
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJune 12, 2015
Eastern Illinois University is great! Each of the positions I've held have been both challenging and rewarding. They each required a great deal of time management, dedication, and strong will. I appreciated each of the staff teams I had the opportunity of working with, The were structured and very efficient. I'm extremely happy for the opportunities.
Small Liberal Arts College
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 19, 2015
My job at EIU was incredibly rewarding and always interesting. It was easy to be completely dedicated to my work because I love people and I love reading and writing even more. I thoroughly enjoy the discipline of English language and literature. It is gratifying to work in a research-oriented environment where all questions eventually have answers and all problems have positive solutions.
Pros
my own office space, access to secretarial services, campus library
Cons
age of students...young adults are sometimes not as serious about their studies as one might hope
Great place
Physics and Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work is helping various students in various subjects in either physics or math. I have learned a lot more about these subjects from tutoring than lectures. I realized once you teach something is when you really learn about that subject. The hardest part of the job is when someone might bring something I haven't seen for a while and I need to refresh myself, so we look through the book together and learn about it together. If I can't figure it out I will get help, but most times I am able to re-teach the problem to myself and then to the student. My favorite part of working as a tutor for Eastern is being able to help a variety of students get through their work. I love to help people so it is very satisfying.
fun teaching environment with interactive workplace
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  charleston, ilApril 21, 2015
A typical day at work consist of filing, organizing, and running errands. The office is usually busy with students and professors coming in and out. There were many lectures and materials that needed to be copied and posted. I made copies of exams and lecture notes for professors. I also hung up important notes/ flyers that needed to be seen immediately. I delivered any mail that needed to be sent on campus. I returned library books and test materials. I learned how to manage my time in order, especially between work and class. I didnt really have many coworkers, as we had different shifts for work most of the time. The hardest part about my job was getting in contact with the department's chair, who was a very busy man. Many students had a hard time reaching him, therefore I was always trying to find him,. But I found took it as a challenge. The most enjoyable part was working with the professors. Many of them were very nice. After a few months of working, they began to remember my name and ask for my help more often.
Productive, hardworking, at times chaotic, learn an aspect of college campus one doesn't always see
Conference Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILAugust 5, 2013
A typical day at work ranged from day to day. One day someone could be working at a desk doing simple task, another day someone could be doing laundry, making beds and moving linen across campus. Each day is a new adventure. Management for this job ranged based on what building one was in. Some were very laid back where others not so much. Co-workers were the same as management, some were very reasonable where as others who had worked there for some time did not want new input into tasks and stuck to what they knew. The hardest part of the job trying to find a voice in suggesting new methods and time saving techniques. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many new people, from the school, but mostly everyone who came and stayed with us for their camps and tournaments. One will learn a lot working in this job; however, I learned the most that hard work, dedication and a smile on your face will get you through the day even if you do not feel you will be able to.
Pros
Free housing, food and workout facility. Capable of continuing education while working.
Cons
mandatory stay days/ weekends, gossipy co-workers
An amazing professional experience
Graduate Assistant, LGBTQA Resource Center (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 20, 2015
The LGBTQA Resource Center at Eastern Illinois was brand new as of 2013. I was the first Graduate Assistant to the Center, and primary staff member. In a sense, I, along with the members of our LGBTQA Advisory Committee, built the Center from the ground up. I learned a lot about developing an office, creating programming, marketing, coordinating and developing trainings, as well as how to work independently and as part of a team. It was a truly invaluable experience.
A good place to teach
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, ILMarch 24, 2015
Eastern Illinois University provides an environment that is ideal for teaching. The students are willing to learn and many of the faculty and staff help to create a great working environment. Unfortunately, due to bad management, the university is losing a lot of money, and therefore they are letting a lot of people go. At this time I would say that it is not a secure place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5