Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my Job
Academic Admin, Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 31, 2016
I loved helping students.

Great co workers.

Just and overall great place to work

Most enjoyable part of the job were the people, students and faculty

The hardest part was when a Nursing student would fail out in their last semester and comforting them. Trying to give them hope and alternatives.

I learned a lot about people and I loved every minute. I made some amazing relationships in that time.
Pros
Great benefits
Co-Workers or Friends?
EKU GURU (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 31, 2016
The hardest part of working here, was knowing that I had to go home at the end of the day. The people and work culture are dedicated to the education and success of the students. I loved working here and with the people in my office.
Great Work-Life Balance, Low Wages
MBA Program Coordinator, AACSB Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 21, 2016
Great place to work if you value flexibility in your schedule and ample amount of vacation time. Poor place to work if you are the main breadwinner for your house hold as pay is at least 30 percent lower than comparable positions.
Pros
Ample Vacation, good benefits
Cons
Low salaries
Very Competent and Laid Back Atmosphere
NETWORK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day involves coming in around 8:00 in the morning, checking our work order database, Footprints, and then going about the day completing tasks. As a student, I was also tasked with the somewhat menial tasks of organizing equipment, helping transport server racks and UPS' around when they were needed. Additionally, I worked on the campus emergency phone system, maintained the camera server, and helped troubleshoot our various wireless access points.

Management is one of the best I've ever dealt with. You are expected to do your job and be competent but there is little to no micromanaging as long as the results can be achieved. My co-workers are smart, intelligent people who have a drive to succeed.

The hardest part we have with the job is there can be a lack of communication between people. The trouble ticket system helps to keep people informed on what needs to be done, but end users sometimes do not have their issue resolved quickly. Tickets are created but aren't escalated to the right departments right away due to the sheer influx of new issues every day.
Pros
Little Micromanagement, Relaxed work enviornment
Good work environment to gain entry level experience
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 15, 2016
I attended EKU as a student, and decided to work there after graduation. The benefits are fantastic (insurance, retirement, and even tuition free classes to employees and their dependents). However, the pay at EKU is not comparable to the same positions in other universities, and does not take into consideration your experience or education.
Caring university with student, faculty, and staff interest at heart
Admissions Counselor - Admissions Office (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 20, 2016
EKU was great for me personally and professionally. They changed my life for the better as a student and as a staff member. They provided me with a first class education, study abroad experience, and life changing skills as a staff member.
Productive, family atmosphere
Pool Technician (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 8, 2016
Very busy during summer months. Had to keep water safe for people to swim in. I learned how to solve pool problems. I enjoy staying busy, the students, and the family atmosphere.
Great Regional University
Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 17, 2016
Great Regional University located in Central Kentucky. Offering a comprehensive education with undergraduate and graduate degrees.
loved the place
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 19, 2016
Great job and I worked with great co-workers who support and help each other. You can take classes and I was able to go to school during my lunch. They support higher education.
Demanding and yet relaxing
Business and Technology Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 21, 2016
this was an amazing place to work. I was very independent in my work but was offered help whenever I needed it.Management was spectacular.
Pros
Cons
Demanding, frustrating computer problems

Want to know more about Eastern Kentucky University?

Ask a question
Great job
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 24, 2016
Wonderful school with great students and great administration. One of the best teaching jobs I have had in a long time. Wonderful school with great students and great administration. One of the best teaching jobs I have had in a long time.Typical day seems shorter than it is and the campus is great. Eastern Kentucky University is a regional, coeducational, public institution of higher education offering general and liberal arts programs, pre-professional and professional training in education and various other fields at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located in Richmond, Madison County, Kentucky, Eastern has a distinguished record of more than a century of educational service to the Commonwealth.
Hard to work for
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 8, 2016
Eastern is a very hard place to work for and they are always wanting to mess with the pay checks. they claim direct deposit is always messing up.
adjunct
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 13, 2016
I currently teach at EKU as an adjunct in wellness. I have been an instructor since 2010 and teach 4 to 5 classes per year. The department I work in has been great and I have always been very well supported
Good work enviroment
Greenhouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 29, 2016
Worked alone or with Hort Tech in daily activities of ensuring proper plant health and readiness for use for related classes.
Great place to get an education
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I loved the small classes and supportive faculty. In the end this allowed me to network with faculty and opened up many opportunities for gaining valuable research experience and full scholarships for graduate school.
Pros
Small classes, great faculty, many opportunities
able to help others
Note taker/ Student aide assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I love my job. it's all about being able to give back to someone else in need. wouldn't change it for the world. I have been here over a year and the environment these ladies brought me into was quiet helpful. they have made my years here at EKU one of the best.
Great Program to work for.
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 16, 2016
Great office experience and the people I work for are amazing. They provide great knowledge of the work they do and they are great with any areas of uncertainty. I was able to gain a lot of office knowledge in the year I worked there.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Little pay
Fun work environment
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 6, 2016
I enjoyed the work environment along with the coworkers. It was wonderful to make people feel comfortable and safe while they worked out.
Pros
Short work shifts
Cons
Weird shift hours throughout the day
Eastern
Support Service Associate. (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work is helping students be able to get help with blackboard, appointments, greeting customers. There is something different that comes along throughout the day that you may need to learn, but in this job it is usually the same routine. Management is very supportive as long as one does what is ask of them. I have some really good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is seeing student leave after they have been here four years. You are happy to see them be successful, but it is also a sad time. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Seeing one leave.
Decent Job security; no salary/cost of living increase in 5 years
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 10, 2013
Travel billed at 25 percent of the time; travel is actually closer to 50% or more. Low per diem and mileage rate compared to other companies. Management is concerned about overall results; not individual employees. Curriculum development and classroom training is the best part of the job. Meeting new people throughout the state has been wonderful. Hardest part is coping with different rules for different employees. VERY "Good Ole Boy" oriented.
Pros
training in the classroom...absolutely nothing like!!!! decent healthcare benefits.
Cons
management; compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Kentucky University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3