Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to get an education
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I loved the small classes and supportive faculty. In the end this allowed me to network with faculty and opened up many opportunities for gaining valuable research experience and full scholarships for graduate school.
Pros
Small classes, great faculty, many opportunities
able to help others
Note taker/ Student aide assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I love my job. it's all about being able to give back to someone else in need. wouldn't change it for the world. I have been here over a year and the environment these ladies brought me into was quiet helpful. they have made my years here at EKU one of the best.
Fun work environment
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 6, 2016
I enjoyed the work environment along with the coworkers. It was wonderful to make people feel comfortable and safe while they worked out.
Pros
Short work shifts
Cons
Weird shift hours throughout the day
Demanding and yet relaxing
Business and Technology Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 21, 2016
this was an amazing place to work. I was very independent in my work but was offered help whenever I needed it.Management was spectacular.
Pros
Cons
Demanding, frustrating computer problems
Great Program to work for.
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 16, 2016
Great office experience and the people I work for are amazing. They provide great knowledge of the work they do and they are great with any areas of uncertainty. I was able to gain a lot of office knowledge in the year I worked there.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Little pay
Good work environment to gain entry level experience
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 15, 2016
I attended EKU as a student, and decided to work there after graduation. The benefits are fantastic (insurance, retirement, and even tuition free classes to employees and their dependents). However, the pay at EKU is not comparable to the same positions in other universities, and does not take into consideration your experience or education.
Great job
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 24, 2016
Wonderful school with great students and great administration. One of the best teaching jobs I have had in a long time. Wonderful school with great students and great administration. One of the best teaching jobs I have had in a long time.Typical day seems shorter than it is and the campus is great. Eastern Kentucky University is a regional, coeducational, public institution of higher education offering general and liberal arts programs, pre-professional and professional training in education and various other fields at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located in Richmond, Madison County, Kentucky, Eastern has a distinguished record of more than a century of educational service to the Commonwealth.
Very Competent and Laid Back Atmosphere
NETWORK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day involves coming in around 8:00 in the morning, checking our work order database, Footprints, and then going about the day completing tasks. As a student, I was also tasked with the somewhat menial tasks of organizing equipment, helping transport server racks and UPS' around when they were needed. Additionally, I worked on the campus emergency phone system, maintained the camera server, and helped troubleshoot our various wireless access points.

Management is one of the best I've ever dealt with. You are expected to do your job and be competent but there is little to no micromanaging as long as the results can be achieved. My co-workers are smart, intelligent people who have a drive to succeed.

The hardest part we have with the job is there can be a lack of communication between people. The trouble ticket system helps to keep people informed on what needs to be done, but end users sometimes do not have their issue resolved quickly. Tickets are created but aren't escalated to the right departments right away due to the sheer influx of new issues every day.
Pros
Little Micromanagement, Relaxed work enviornment
Great experience and education!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 29, 2016
Wonderful higher education environment to get experience in all different realms. Co-workers were awesome and EKU offers a community feel for any department and all across campus.
Exceptionally enjoyable work environment
Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 6, 2015
Hands-down the best job I have ever had. Tutoring small and large numbers of students inspired me to develop clear and concise communication skills. Being able to visit several different topics throughout the day was a mental exertion that I feel is wholesomely responsible for my success as a student. I loved this job but I changed my major to MLS which made me ineligible for the job.
Pros
Respected by peers. Extreemly intelectual environment.
Cons
7 Bosses to respond to.
wonderful place to work
Phonathon Caller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 27, 2015
The university takes care of their employees, even if they are just students. They worked with my classes to give me the best hours.
I would like to be member of a team, to help collaberate to benefit both my co-workers and the company
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 8, 2015
I have excellent computer skills, including all aspects of word. I'm a quick learner and love to learn. A typical day is to go above and beyond to help customers. I've managed others at j & j landscaping. I work closely with my co-workers now. "Team work makes the dream work. I process all returns and go out my way to keep them as repeat customers. I also run a register, dealing with money, an any processing problems that may arise. There is no hard part is loading 40 pound bags of soil. I work outside lawn and garden as well, when need be because of my previous experience in landsaping. I enjoy helping customers find what they need in many different aspects.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Overall supportive team that worked well together
Part- time Faculty (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 30, 2015
I worked with a dynamic, eclectic team that all supporting each and every worker. The focus was on the job and students. Everyone was there to get the job done and do the best we could do.
Pros
No drama, just work
Cons
was part-time
general cleaning
Custodian maintenance (Former Employee) –  richmond,jySeptember 15, 2015
good work place but wages are too low to support a family,benefits we're good ,amount of work expected was high for the wages.
Beneficial to my degree
Advertising Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 18, 2015
Working at the Eastern Progress was a very good learning experience. I got to deal with real clients and learn more about Marketing, which was my major at the time. I love advertising so learning how to make business' advertising was extremely fun for me. The pay was decent and I loved my co workers!
Pros
Great learning experience, good pay, good hours
Cons
Only open during the school year
productive and fun place to work with diverse population of students and staff
Assistant Track and Cross Country coach (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 4, 2015
Exciting place to work. You get to experience different cultures and experiences from young students from all over the world.
Eastern
Support Service Associate. (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work is helping students be able to get help with blackboard, appointments, greeting customers. There is something different that comes along throughout the day that you may need to learn, but in this job it is usually the same routine. Management is very supportive as long as one does what is ask of them. I have some really good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is seeing student leave after they have been here four years. You are happy to see them be successful, but it is also a sad time. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Seeing one leave.
Job
Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 17, 2015
 Conducted programs focused on empowering students with knowledge and facts about concerning health issues.
 Provided information through educational programming, awareness events and other facets of communication to
assist people in making well-informed decisions dealing with pressing issues pertaining to a healthy life style.
 Provided leadership to student organizations at Eastern Kentucky University.
Productive place to work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 14, 2015
A typical day at work is registering people for OSHA classes, administering construction and general industry training cards, answering phones, maintaining supplies, and providing customer service.
Great professors
Student (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 15, 2015
This school is top notch. The professors here are very willing to work with students and encourage them to become great academics.

4.3