Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews in United States

loved the place
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 19, 2016
Great job and I worked with great co-workers who support and help each other. You can take classes and I was able to go to school during my lunch. They support higher education.
Caring university with student, faculty, and staff interest at heart
Admissions Counselor - Admissions Office (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 20, 2016
EKU was great for me personally and professionally. They changed my life for the better as a student and as a staff member. They provided me with a first class education, study abroad experience, and life changing skills as a staff member.
Hard to work for
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 8, 2016
Eastern is a very hard place to work for and they are always wanting to mess with the pay checks. they claim direct deposit is always messing up.
Good work enviroment
Greenhouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 29, 2016
Worked alone or with Hort Tech in daily activities of ensuring proper plant health and readiness for use for related classes.
Great Work-Life Balance, Low Wages
MBA Program Coordinator, AACSB Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 21, 2016
Great place to work if you value flexibility in your schedule and ample amount of vacation time. Poor place to work if you are the main breadwinner for your house hold as pay is at least 30 percent lower than comparable positions.
Pros
Ample Vacation, good benefits
Cons
Low salaries
adjunct
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 13, 2016
I currently teach at EKU as an adjunct in wellness. I have been an instructor since 2010 and teach 4 to 5 classes per year. The department I work in has been great and I have always been very well supported
Great place to get an education
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I loved the small classes and supportive faculty. In the end this allowed me to network with faculty and opened up many opportunities for gaining valuable research experience and full scholarships for graduate school.
Pros
Small classes, great faculty, many opportunities
able to help others
Note taker/ Student aide assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I love my job. it's all about being able to give back to someone else in need. wouldn't change it for the world. I have been here over a year and the environment these ladies brought me into was quiet helpful. they have made my years here at EKU one of the best.
Fun work environment
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 6, 2016
I enjoyed the work environment along with the coworkers. It was wonderful to make people feel comfortable and safe while they worked out.
Pros
Short work shifts
Cons
Weird shift hours throughout the day
Demanding and yet relaxing
Business and Technology Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 21, 2016
this was an amazing place to work. I was very independent in my work but was offered help whenever I needed it.Management was spectacular.
Pros
Cons
Demanding, frustrating computer problems

Want to know more about Eastern Kentucky University?

Ask a question
Great Program to work for.
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 16, 2016
Great office experience and the people I work for are amazing. They provide great knowledge of the work they do and they are great with any areas of uncertainty. I was able to gain a lot of office knowledge in the year I worked there.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Little pay
Good work environment to gain entry level experience
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 15, 2016
I attended EKU as a student, and decided to work there after graduation. The benefits are fantastic (insurance, retirement, and even tuition free classes to employees and their dependents). However, the pay at EKU is not comparable to the same positions in other universities, and does not take into consideration your experience or education.
Great job
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 24, 2016
Wonderful school with great students and great administration. One of the best teaching jobs I have had in a long time. Wonderful school with great students and great administration. One of the best teaching jobs I have had in a long time.Typical day seems shorter than it is and the campus is great. Eastern Kentucky University is a regional, coeducational, public institution of higher education offering general and liberal arts programs, pre-professional and professional training in education and various other fields at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located in Richmond, Madison County, Kentucky, Eastern has a distinguished record of more than a century of educational service to the Commonwealth.
Very Competent and Laid Back Atmosphere
NETWORK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day involves coming in around 8:00 in the morning, checking our work order database, Footprints, and then going about the day completing tasks. As a student, I was also tasked with the somewhat menial tasks of organizing equipment, helping transport server racks and UPS' around when they were needed. Additionally, I worked on the campus emergency phone system, maintained the camera server, and helped troubleshoot our various wireless access points.

Management is one of the best I've ever dealt with. You are expected to do your job and be competent but there is little to no micromanaging as long as the results can be achieved. My co-workers are smart, intelligent people who have a drive to succeed.

The hardest part we have with the job is there can be a lack of communication between people. The trouble ticket system helps to keep people informed on what needs to be done, but end users sometimes do not have their issue resolved quickly. Tickets are created but aren't escalated to the right departments right away due to the sheer influx of new issues every day.
Pros
Little Micromanagement, Relaxed work enviornment
Great experience and education!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 29, 2016
Wonderful higher education environment to get experience in all different realms. Co-workers were awesome and EKU offers a community feel for any department and all across campus.
Exceptionally enjoyable work environment
Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 6, 2015
Hands-down the best job I have ever had. Tutoring small and large numbers of students inspired me to develop clear and concise communication skills. Being able to visit several different topics throughout the day was a mental exertion that I feel is wholesomely responsible for my success as a student. I loved this job but I changed my major to MLS which made me ineligible for the job.
Pros
Respected by peers. Extreemly intelectual environment.
Cons
7 Bosses to respond to.
wonderful place to work
Phonathon Caller (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 27, 2015
The university takes care of their employees, even if they are just students. They worked with my classes to give me the best hours.
I would like to be member of a team, to help collaberate to benefit both my co-workers and the company
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 8, 2015
I have excellent computer skills, including all aspects of word. I'm a quick learner and love to learn. A typical day is to go above and beyond to help customers. I've managed others at j & j landscaping. I work closely with my co-workers now. "Team work makes the dream work. I process all returns and go out my way to keep them as repeat customers. I also run a register, dealing with money, an any processing problems that may arise. There is no hard part is loading 40 pound bags of soil. I work outside lawn and garden as well, when need be because of my previous experience in landsaping. I enjoy helping customers find what they need in many different aspects.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Overall supportive team that worked well together
Part- time Faculty (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 30, 2015
I worked with a dynamic, eclectic team that all supporting each and every worker. The focus was on the job and students. Everyone was there to get the job done and do the best we could do.
Pros
No drama, just work
Cons
was part-time
general cleaning
Custodian maintenance (Former Employee) –  richmond,jySeptember 15, 2015
good work place but wages are too low to support a family,benefits we're good ,amount of work expected was high for the wages.

4.3