Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Good First-Job Experience
Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 19, 2017
Although it was a work-study position, the computer lab was mostly quiet and empty. I did my homework on slow days, helped students and faculty with any technical issues, and made sure the printer was full of paper and ink. I had so little to do around the area but I always made sure the area was clean and computers were functional. The job was a bit too easy for my taste and not so challenging. I felt like I was doing nothing most of the time but I would try to keep myself busy, looking for something to do. I liked the position but I felt like I could do more than be behind a desk.
Pros
Lenient scheduling and work-study for students, organized, good management
Cons
Not enough hours, minimum wage, unproductive days
Graduate Residence Hall Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 17, 2017
Housing is a great place to work. Administrators truly care about its staff and evolve with the culture of students. Living where you work can be difficult but the overall benefits are amazing.
Ha
FRONT DESK WORKER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 13, 2017
I loved working within the residential halls there at eastern kentucky university. Had a great boss and worked with a great staff as well. Working night shift was the most fun experience I ever had.
My work week
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 13, 2017
I have learned a lot since working here at EKU, they provide a scholarship for us to take classes and I have taken full advantage of that benefit. The work place is laid back, but at times it gets hectic and you don't know if you have enough time in the day to complete your tasks. The work will be there tomorrow is my motto. I strive to complete any task given to me in an appropriate amount of time. I have never missed a deadline.
Pros
classes
Cons
I have to drive a great distance.
Summer Internship
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 11, 2017
I worked at Eastern for a summer as a TA. This mainly involved grading papers and helping with research projects. The work was not as involved as say a PHD level student would be involved in, but it was a nice way to work with the professors and build up some networking opportunities.
Hurt by spending cuts
Program Coordinator, Developmental Writing (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 9, 2017
The school has a great student population and prides itself as a school of opportunity. Unfortunately, spending cuts at the state level are hurting the programs, positions are being cut, and faculty and staff are increasingly demoralized.
Computer Hardware Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 6, 2017
It's a wonderfull place to work and study. Great advancemnet opportunities and stuff like that. Parking is easy and the people are so great. Such a great place to work.
very fulfilling place to work and serve people
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 17, 2017
My experience working at Eastern Kentucky University was a very positive one! I enjoyed the atmosphere, as well as helping and serving both students and faculty!
Pros
Good benefits, weekends off, day-time shift
Cons
none that i can think of
Fun workplace, rewarding, good experience
STATISTICS AND RESEARCH TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 12, 2017
It was very rewarding being able to assist students. Each tutor brought something new to the group. I enjoyed leading the less experienced tutors. It was a great way to enhance my skills in statistics, research methods, teaching, and helping others.
Awesome Conference and recommend anyone to attend
Attendee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 9, 2017
Great, fun and cool for those who love meeting new people and learning from others. The entire day was helpful to those who may have ever been in a leadership role and to be able to take away from the conference was magnificent.
Professional workplace
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 7, 2017
EKU is a very professional organization dedicated to providing a curriculum that meets the students' needs. They emphasize Creative and Critical thinking as a foundation to the majority of their courses.
Desk Work
Eastern Kentucky University Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 6, 2017
Easy Job, Federal Work study. You can do homework and study while you are at work. Job can be tedious depending on who you work under and the other staff members. Students can be super rude, so prepare to take some sometimes.
Pros
Study at work
Cons
Housing Department is terrible.
Friendly staff and very easy work.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 5, 2017
Very laid back work with physical demanding work at times. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Would be a great job on the side for a college student starting out.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Poor pay
No opportunities for advancement within a department
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 1, 2017
Great perks, but no room for promotions within a department. You have to jump around a lot to receive a raise.

Overall I love EKU. It's like a big family. The benefits are pretty good and you get a lot of time off.
Pros
Time off, work/life balance
Cons
Salary
Great place for administrative and academic positions
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 29, 2017
Facilities Services is not well managed or possessed of a professional environment. The expectations for employee performance are unrealistic and based on arbitrary, illogical assumptions linked to building square footage.
Pros
Generous paid time off.
Cons
Lack of effective leadership.
Lots of paid time off
Online Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 28, 2017
Lots of paid time off. You do have to know someone to get advancement. Benefits are ok but getting more expensive. Required to put into pension system that may not be solvent.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Hard to advance
Ok
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 27, 2017
Great management
Students were very respectful
Would work there again
Would recommend this place
Why do I have to fill this out
fun to work with
Wide Receiver Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 21, 2017
great people at eku, had fun working with people I knew. Everyone is friendly and love having new people around. they helped me get to the point i am today and am very thankful for those people.
A Place that is Growing
Professor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 8, 2017
Work is rewarding. A great university to grow and make significant contributions. Great faculty and academic programs. A beautiful campus with a number of new modern buildings and residential halls.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Salary is low
Eastern Kentucky University
Construction Technician II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 7, 2017
The work is easy, the benefits are awesome, but their pay schedule is way out of date and there is no room for advancement. The department i am in is micro managed very badly.
Pros
Hours and work is very easy. Great benefits.
Cons
No room for advancement or pay increases.