Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Great place to get an education
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I loved the small classes and supportive faculty. In the end this allowed me to network with faculty and opened up many opportunities for gaining valuable research experience and full scholarships for graduate school.
Pros
Small classes, great faculty, many opportunities
Demanding and yet relaxing
Business and Technology Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 21, 2016
this was an amazing place to work. I was very independent in my work but was offered help whenever I needed it.Management was spectacular.
Pros
Cons
Demanding, frustrating computer problems
able to help others
Note taker/ Student aide assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 19, 2016
I love my job. it's all about being able to give back to someone else in need. wouldn't change it for the world. I have been here over a year and the environment these ladies brought me into was quiet helpful. they have made my years here at EKU one of the best.
Assisting students with various needs
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYAugust 27, 2012
• Assisted students, prospective students, parents, and professors with any questions or problems that would arise
• Drafted memos, letters, informational materials, and any other correspondence as needed
• Greeted visitors and answered telephone calls
Pros
enjoyable work
Cons
parttime and no benefits
Great place to work if you value work and life balance.
Assoc. Director of Curriculum Development (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 8, 2013
I have been managing curriculum development for the Rural Domestic Preparedness Consortium (RDPC) for nearly six years. In this role, I not only oversee the development of curriculum, utilizing the Department of Homeland Security’s blended learning strategy but also work with team members, contractors, and private sector partners in devising strategies to improve the consistency, efficiency, quality and breadth of training programs targeted toward emergency managers. Additionally, I devised instructional design and tech writing templates, job aids, and checklists and implemented an incentive program as a means of increasing productivity. I continually work cooperatively with the director of research and evaluation to execute a quality assurance program that ensures the development of quality training products while promoting cross-training of individuals across multiple work areas. In addition to managing curriculum design and development, I also engage in grant writing and outsourcing, In the course of managing projects, I estimate budgets, create effective project teams, manage the distribution of funds, coordinate training activities, partner with vendors, monitor task completion and submit weekly reports. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it offers ample opportunities to grow intellectually while conducting research.
Pros
excellent work/life balance
Cons
few opportunities for raises and advances
Summary
Independent Living Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Paintsville, KYAugust 14, 2013
Great company to work for that provides employees with benefits and services to improve overall health.
Pros
Pays for college admission
Cons
No job advancement oppurtunities and low pay grade
Fun work environment
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 6, 2016
I enjoyed the work environment along with the coworkers. It was wonderful to make people feel comfortable and safe while they worked out.
Pros
Short work shifts
Cons
Weird shift hours throughout the day
Excellent employer
Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 25, 2014
You couldn't ask for a better place to work. The benefits are great, the people are wonderful. The pay is decent, it's hard to advance but the job security is top notch.
Great Program to work for.
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 16, 2016
Great office experience and the people I work for are amazing. They provide great knowledge of the work they do and they are great with any areas of uncertainty. I was able to gain a lot of office knowledge in the year I worked there.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Little pay
Great learning environment and flexible with scheduling.
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 24, 2013
There are a lot of great people that can help answer your questions. As a student worker you can have a flexible schedule that works with your class schedule. The benefits are great if your job title includes them.
Director of Operations
Director of Basketball Operation (Current Employee) –  Richmond KyMay 5, 2015
I invite you to consider my unique range of skills, experiences, education, and interest concerning this position. My years of experience within women and men’s basketball and athletics have given me the necessary tools to manage, lead, and inspire those whose passion for university recreation mirror my own.

At Eastern Kentucky University I have not only obtained a great education and understanding of the sports management world, but also great experience. While attending school I have been an EKU Men’s Basketball Manager for five years. It has brought out my passion for college athletics and Eastern Kentucky University. Over those five years I have learned a lot of valuable lessons and gained a lot of experience that will better me for the future.

While also attending Eastern Kentucky University I was granted the opportunity to become a Supervisor at our campus recreation center. In which I was allowed to use my leadership skills, communication skills, and conflict resolution skills over the four years I was a part of staff.
While working with this demanding schedule between basketball and working with campus recreation I was able to achieve a Bachelor of Science with a concentration in sport management.

Since graduating from Eastern Kentucky University, I was able to become the Director of Operations for EKU Women's Basketball. The last two years I have been in charge of all budgeting, travel, and director of summer basketball camps. I have learned a lot in the two years I have been in here and think it has prepared me for a lot in just a short time.
Pros
benefits, travel, working with athletes, working for alma mater
EKU would be a great place to work if the pay was competitive.
Plumber (Current Employee) –  RIchmond, KY.August 23, 2013
Overall good place to work. Great benefits. Most of the managers are good people to work for. Low pay.
Pros
Benefits, co-workers, educational and training opportunities, steady hours.
Cons
Pay
Loved it
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 20, 2013
Very good benefits and room for advancement. Cool employees and friendly atmosphere.
Great place with great people
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYDecember 18, 2012
EKU is wonderful - they care about you completely. Great benefits, great people, and a beautiful campus. There is so much pride here and for good reason!
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 15, 2013
Have been in this field for over 25 years. It has a lot of benefits for me and my family.
Benefits
I would like to be member of a team, to help collaberate to benefit both my co-workers and the company
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 8, 2015
I have excellent computer skills, including all aspects of word. I'm a quick learner and love to learn. A typical day is to go above and beyond to help customers. I've managed others at j & j landscaping. I work closely with my co-workers now. "Team work makes the dream work. I process all returns and go out my way to keep them as repeat customers. I also run a register, dealing with money, an any processing problems that may arise. There is no hard part is loading 40 pound bags of soil. I work outside lawn and garden as well, when need be because of my previous experience in landsaping. I enjoy helping customers find what they need in many different aspects.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Good work environment
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 3, 2014
Excellent benefits to employees including tuition waiver and wellness program.
Full-time faculty member (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYJune 24, 2013
They offer good benefits and insurance; pleasant working environment
Eastern
Support Service Associate. (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work is helping students be able to get help with blackboard, appointments, greeting customers. There is something different that comes along throughout the day that you may need to learn, but in this job it is usually the same routine. Management is very supportive as long as one does what is ask of them. I have some really good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is seeing student leave after they have been here four years. You are happy to see them be successful, but it is also a sad time. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Seeing one leave.
Exceptionally enjoyable work environment
Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 6, 2015
Hands-down the best job I have ever had. Tutoring small and large numbers of students inspired me to develop clear and concise communication skills. Being able to visit several different topics throughout the day was a mental exertion that I feel is wholesomely responsible for my success as a student. I loved this job but I changed my major to MLS which made me ineligible for the job.
Pros
Respected by peers. Extreemly intelectual environment.
Cons
7 Bosses to respond to.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Kentucky University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3