Eastern Kentucky University

Eastern Kentucky University Employer Reviews

Great Place to Work!
Public Safety Officer/EH&S Tech. (Current Employee), Richmond, KYJune 11, 2013
I have loved working here for the three years that I have been employed here.
Great Educational Facility
PC Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Department of TechnologyMay 4, 2013
Pros: small town feel
Cons: winter is cold
A small home town university. Great to call it Alma-Mater. A great place to hang your hat and call home. EKU.
Tedious work but very rewarding.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, KYApril 23, 2013
Pros: relationships formed
Cons: sometimes tedious work.
Having the Resident Assistant position at Eastern Kentucky University was one of the most important and rewarding positions I've had. I loved working with the residents and learning from them while teaching them at the same time. I learned time management skills and how to be more patient. At times the work was a bit tedious but extremely rewarding. – more... I formed some friendships with my fellow RAs and residents that I will never forget. – less
Great place to work if you value work and life balance.
Assoc. Director of Curriculum Development (Current Employee), Richmond, KYApril 8, 2013
Pros: excellent work/life balance
Cons: few opportunities for raises and advances
I have been managing curriculum development for the Rural Domestic Preparedness Consortium (RDPC) for nearly six years. In this role, I not only oversee the development of curriculum, utilizing the Department of Homeland Security’s blended learning strategy but also work with team members, contractors, and private sector partners in devising strategies – more... to improve the consistency, efficiency, quality and breadth of training programs targeted toward emergency managers. Additionally, I devised instructional design and tech writing templates, job aids, and checklists and implemented an incentive program as a means of increasing productivity. I continually work cooperatively with the director of research and evaluation to execute a quality assurance program that ensures the development of quality training products while promoting cross-training of individuals across multiple work areas. In addition to managing curriculum design and development, I also engage in grant writing and outsourcing, In the course of managing projects, I estimate budgets, create effective project teams, manage the distribution of funds, coordinate training activities, partner with vendors, monitor task completion and submit weekly reports. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it offers ample opportunities to grow intellectually while conducting research. – less
Good place to learn sports management
Student (Former Employee), Richmond, KYApril 6, 2013
Fun co-workers
Flexible
Learned that there is more to sports than just the games
Highly energetic enviroment
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee), Richmond, KYMarch 5, 2013
Pros: access to facilities
Cons: no pay
A typical day at my internship consist of working hands on with every sport at Eastern Kentucky. We develop workout plans and we conduct them on a pre-season, in-season, and out of season basis. The hardest part of the job is working with the assistant strength and conditioning coach. His personality has taken me a little bit to get used to.
Great place to work while taking classes on campus
Resident Hall Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Richmond, Ky.February 15, 2013
Pros: get a great deal of homework done while on the job. this is a work study program.
Cons: not always making enough money.
The Night desk job was a great job for College students who wanted to work on campus and get homework done while on the job. This was a part time job. All we did was make sure student checked in properly in resident halls. This type of job could be like working at a hotel. It teaches you how to provide customer care to other students.
Decent Job security; no salary/cost of living increase in 5 years
Training Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond, KYFebruary 10, 2013
Pros: training in the classroom...absolutely nothing like!!!! decent healthcare benefits.
Cons: management; compensation.
Travel billed at 25 percent of the time; travel is actually closer to 50% or more. Low per diem and mileage rate compared to other companies. Management is concerned about overall results; not individual employees. Curriculum development and classroom training is the best part of the job. Meeting new people throughout the state has been wonderful. Hardest – more... part is coping with different rules for different employees. VERY "Good Ole Boy" oriented. – less
Great work environment
Front Desk Worker (Current Employee), Richmond, KYDecember 29, 2012
Pros: on campus, easy to balance classes and work.
I have been employed by EKU as a Peer Leader and currently still employed as a desk worker, and even though I only get paid minimum wage the one thing that stands out in my mind from the experience is the work environment. I get to interact with a diverse group students and faculty members. The people are very friendly and there is never a dull day – more... at work. – less
Good Place To Work
Campus Book Store Clerk (Former Employee), Richmond, KYDecember 18, 2012
Pros: good people to work for.
I liked working for this Univerisity because of the nice people that you work with and around.
Great place with great people
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Richmond, KYDecember 18, 2012
EKU is wonderful - they care about you completely. Great benefits, great people, and a beautiful campus. There is so much pride here and for good reason!
EKU
Desk Worker (Former Employee), Richmond, KyOctober 23, 2012
Student desk worker: a pointless mundane task that simply needed to be filled by... someone... anyone.
Excellent public university with great employees
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, KYOctober 18, 2012
Pros: great pay and benefits, fun coworkers, opportunity for advancement
Cons: away from home a lot
I worked at EKU from 2006 - 2011. The only reason I left was my wife was promoted out of state. I tried to make that work for a whole year because I loved my job so much. In the end, it was better for family to be home more.

The staff is top notch. The benefits are unrivaled. I would go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.
A fun place to work with great people
Student Worker Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, KYOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great place to work and great environment
Cons: the pay is student worker pay.
A typical work day includes administering teacher evaluations, working with excel, and assisting professors. A big part of the job is delegating work to the other student workers.
Assisting students with various needs
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Corbin, KYAugust 27, 2012
Pros: enjoyable work
Cons: parttime and no benefits
• Assisted students, prospective students, parents, and professors with any questions or problems that would arise
• Drafted memos, letters, informational materials, and any other correspondence as needed
• Greeted visitors and answered telephone calls
eku
Student Affairs- Office Clerk (Former Employee), Richmond, KYAugust 23, 2012
• Hosted spotlight days for incoming freshmen
• Filed paper work
• Answered phones
• Fund raising for United Way
Great learning environment
Diversity Retention Coordinator (Former Employee), Richmond, KYAugust 10, 2012
Pros: great facilities, healthcare
Cons: short staff for students that need to be served
I learned so much while at EKU and truly value that work experience and the skills I gained.
Gear Up
Gear Up Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, KYAugust 2, 2012
Pros: team work
Cons: participation by students, they are wired to rebel at that age though…
Helping students online think creatively and with every day issues.

I learned that students, like to rebel however, if you make it interesting they will learn some good lessons that they will need.

Management- It was a federally funded grant, the two supervisors I had were simply amazing, you could tell they had the best interest of the students at – more... hand and wanted to make it enjoyable.

Coworkers were fellow students at the time, we had a great time working with the program, it was very pleasant.

Hardest part of the job was getting the middle school students to participate, you had to do your research to make it interesting for them, while informative.

The best part was always trying to come up with something creative to help and make the students learn and participate. – less

September 12, 2012

Okay, I have applied to EKU's online positions multiple times and have yet to receive any indication whether they've even reviewed my application. Yet, they keep posting the same job over and over. What should I do? Resend a paper version (CV & CL) to the University?

Attending college to finish BA degree in Economics
Fulltime Student (Former Employee), Richmond, KentuckyJuly 26, 2012
Pros: geat experience
Cons: nothing significant.
Satisfying experience while completing a BA degree in Economics.
Great environment, Dream Job
Director of Women's Basketball Operations (Former Employee), Richmond, KYJuly 16, 2012
As D.O.B.O., I was Responsible for all day to day office correspondence; Typing and Filing papers, .Answering phones, Distributing Mail, Maintain and upkeep of recruiting database files for a Division1 Women’s Basketball Program. During the season I successfully coordinated arrangements for team transportation, meals, entertainment and hotels for away – more... competition. I organized and managed the team budget of over $250K, both allocating and distributing funds for equipment, supplies, marketing and community service etc. Assisted all Coaches with their day to day office duties. Pertaining to on the court work I did entry level on the floor coaching, i.e. play calling and stat keeping, foul count, and drills. I created my teams scouting reports to scout other teams for competition, as well developed and coordinated scouting film; that may include editing of game film. Successfully handled all film exchange for EKUWBB with other NCAA Teams, through the OVC (Ohio Valley Conference) website. During the season I created and implement marketing, promotional, and community service strategies for EKU and the surrounding community. I assisted with all phases of summer basketball camps; this included the design and mailing of brochures, the organization of registration, correspondence and coordination of campus resources needed for camps, as well as a camp supervisor during camp. Coordinated the team banquet at the end of the season. – less