Eastern Kentucky University Employee Reviews

Good work environment
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 3, 2014
Excellent benefits to employees including tuition waiver and wellness program.
Full-time faculty member (Current Employee) –  Hazard, KYJune 24, 2013
They offer good benefits and insurance; pleasant working environment
Fun work environment
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 6, 2016
I enjoyed the work environment along with the coworkers. It was wonderful to make people feel comfortable and safe while they worked out.
Pros
Short work shifts
Cons
Weird shift hours throughout the day
Great Program to work for.
Advising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 16, 2016
Great office experience and the people I work for are amazing. They provide great knowledge of the work they do and they are great with any areas of uncertainty. I was able to gain a lot of office knowledge in the year I worked there.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Little pay
Vibrant office enviornment to handle paperwork and day to day business as Director, Exciting on the court coaching.
Director of Women's Basketball Operations (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 13, 2012
As D.O.B.O., I was Responsible for all day to day office correspondence; Typing and Filing papers, .Answering phones, Distributing Mail, Maintain and upkeep of recruiting database files.
.Made all arrangements with transportation, restaurants, and hotel for away competition.
.Organized and managed team budget of over $250k allocated and distributed funds.
.Organized scouting schedules.
.Assisted all coaches with their day to day office duties.
.Responsible for all film exchange, and developing scouts that may include editing of game film.
.Create and implement marketing/promotional/community service strategies for EKU and the surrounding community.
.Assisted with all phases of summer basketball camps. This included the design and mailing of brochures, the organization of registration, correspondence and coordination of campus resources needed for camps, as well as a camp supervisor during camp.
.Entry level on the floor coaching/play calling and stat keeping.
Pros
education embusment, athletic background loved the enviorment.
Cons
long hours, hard to balance life during competition.
Eastern
Support Service Associate. (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work is helping students be able to get help with blackboard, appointments, greeting customers. There is something different that comes along throughout the day that you may need to learn, but in this job it is usually the same routine. Management is very supportive as long as one does what is ask of them. I have some really good co-workers. The hardest part of my job is seeing student leave after they have been here four years. You are happy to see them be successful, but it is also a sad time. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Seeing one leave.
I would like to be member of a team, to help collaberate to benefit both my co-workers and the company
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 8, 2015
I have excellent computer skills, including all aspects of word. I'm a quick learner and love to learn. A typical day is to go above and beyond to help customers. I've managed others at j & j landscaping. I work closely with my co-workers now. "Team work makes the dream work. I process all returns and go out my way to keep them as repeat customers. I also run a register, dealing with money, an any processing problems that may arise. There is no hard part is loading 40 pound bags of soil. I work outside lawn and garden as well, when need be because of my previous experience in landsaping. I enjoy helping customers find what they need in many different aspects.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
short breaks
Gear Up
Gear Up Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 2, 2012
Helping students online think creatively and with every day issues.

I learned that students, like to rebel however, if you make it interesting they will learn some good lessons that they will need.

Management- It was a federally funded grant, the two supervisors I had were simply amazing, you could tell they had the best interest of the students at hand and wanted to make it enjoyable.

Coworkers were fellow students at the time, we had a great time working with the program, it was very pleasant.

Hardest part of the job was getting the middle school students to participate, you had to do your research to make it interesting for them, while informative.

The best part was always trying to come up with something creative to help and make the students learn and participate.
Pros
team work
Cons
participation by students, they are wired to rebel at that age though…
Exceptionally enjoyable work environment
Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 6, 2015
Hands-down the best job I have ever had. Tutoring small and large numbers of students inspired me to develop clear and concise communication skills. Being able to visit several different topics throughout the day was a mental exertion that I feel is wholesomely responsible for my success as a student. I loved this job but I changed my major to MLS which made me ineligible for the job.
Pros
Respected by peers. Extreemly intelectual environment.
Cons
7 Bosses to respond to.
Leadership, creativity, organizing, and traveled
Student Work Study/Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 16, 2013
A typical work day revolved around leadership, creativity, and interpersonal skills. I created flyers, copied documents, answered phones, created distributions list, attended meetings, and reserved space for student events at the University. I assisted the Director of the Department by obtaining information and supplies that assisted in organizing the new honor society (Tau Sigma). Each day that I worked I gained job experience, learned management skills, and built upon existing interpersonal skills. My employer and co-workers mentored me and allowed me the opportunity to grow as an individual; they treated me with respect and encouraged me to learn team unity. They always made time to answer my questions and taught me valuable new skills that I will be able to use throughout my life.
Pros
Working for employer, co-workers, students, traveling to conferences.
Cons
Unsteady hours could only work when EKU was in session.
Great experience and education!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 29, 2016
Wonderful higher education environment to get experience in all different realms. Co-workers were awesome and EKU offers a community feel for any department and all across campus.
A diverse educational setting, meeting the needs of each and every student.
Federal Work Study (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJanuary 13, 2015
At Eastern Kentucky University you can expect a warm welcome in the morning as you enter the student services building. The atmosphere is always upbeat and student focused. I learned that no one is left behind at EKU, there are services for each and every student regardless of learning style, background, and or current living situations. The staff is equipped to answer your questions, never hesitating to send you to upper level management if necessary, they also offer you warm southern hospitality and encouragement to be the best "You" that you can be. The hardest part of my job was watching students struggle when it is so obvious they have the skills necessary to succeed. The most enjoyable part of working for EKU is the TEAM environment, from the executive director to the student worker everyone has something to offer the student who walks into our dept.
Pros
Family and cultural events, tuition free classes for self and family members, helping others.
Cons
Cuts in health care, Professors with tenure, increasing tuition.
Tedious work but very rewarding.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 23, 2013
Having the Resident Assistant position at Eastern Kentucky University was one of the most important and rewarding positions I've had. I loved working with the residents and learning from them while teaching them at the same time. I learned time management skills and how to be more patient. At times the work was a bit tedious but extremely rewarding. I formed some friendships with my fellow RAs and residents that I will never forget.
Pros
relationships formed
Cons
sometimes tedious work.
Great, smaller manufacturing company
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMay 20, 2012
The company produces parts for Honda and Toyota. The have many new employees (associates) and are attempting to become a leading manufacturer for Honda. The gave me the opportunity to work on major projects as a intern, which has helped me develop my career quicker than most would be able to because these major projects typically are not given to interns for development.
Pros
employee appreciation
Cons
smaller company
Beneficial to my degree
Advertising Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 18, 2015
Working at the Eastern Progress was a very good learning experience. I got to deal with real clients and learn more about Marketing, which was my major at the time. I love advertising so learning how to make business' advertising was extremely fun for me. The pay was decent and I loved my co workers!
Pros
Great learning experience, good pay, good hours
Cons
Only open during the school year
Wonderful campus with wonderful students.
Freshman & Developmental English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 14, 2012
Eastern Kentucky University is a good place to start a teaching career. They have an excellent program for developmental writing students and a new writing lab facility inside the campus library. The resources they offer their students to help them succeed are modern and dependable.
Pros
they have a great writing program.
Job
Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 17, 2015
 Conducted programs focused on empowering students with knowledge and facts about concerning health issues.
 Provided information through educational programming, awareness events and other facets of communication to
assist people in making well-informed decisions dealing with pressing issues pertaining to a healthy life style.
 Provided leadership to student organizations at Eastern Kentucky University.
productive and fun place to work with diverse population of students and staff
Assistant Track and Cross Country coach (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 4, 2015
Exciting place to work. You get to experience different cultures and experiences from young students from all over the world.
Overall supportive team that worked well together
Part- time Faculty (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 30, 2015
I worked with a dynamic, eclectic team that all supporting each and every worker. The focus was on the job and students. Everyone was there to get the job done and do the best we could do.
Pros
No drama, just work
Cons
was part-time
on campus housing, easy store accessibility, 24 hr office with net
Part time Professor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYApril 30, 2012
It was quite poorly paid but a laid back atmosphere. All of my 3 courses were taught in 1 bldg, mon, wed, and fri ams. office hrs the pms.
I, naturally insisted, in relocating from Belgium, a minimum of 2 courses. I was given 3 plus low cost on campus housing. That was essential as I'd never have been able to buy a car.
Pros
everything concentrated around dept offices, laid back atmosphere, cooperative
Cons
no healthcare for part time profs, low wages with master's

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Kentucky University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3