Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems Employee Reviews

Maintenance shop with several other workers in the department
Clinical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 11, 2017
This position provided the opportunity to be fully immersed in all of the biomedical technology that goes in to hospital rooms. I was able to troubleshoot medical equipment, observe surgical equipment in action, and perform research on clinical engineering topics. The people at EMMC are fantastic and provide a helpful, uplifting environment at all times.
Manipulative and controlling management of ED
RN (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMarch 7, 2017
Some departments in the hospital seem to be doing better than the ED but I worked in the ED where it has become increasingly chaotic and mismanaged. I resigned and several other nurses have left so if you just need a job this is your ticket but good luck. Orientation is pretty poor as many of the more knowledgeable nurses are mostly gone. The management of the ED seems to prefer new nurses who are happy to just have a job and won't offer any constructive critique. Patient care is frequently sacrificed if you follow the manager's "newest" system. If you offer a different idea or are critical in any way you will likely be singled out, disciplined and fired. Would not recommend working here currently! Managers seem more concerned about personal advancement than patient care. Hopefully things will change as there is a big compliance investigation going on hopefully in an independent manner.
Pros
good colleagues
Cons
poor management
Large referal hospital
Critical Care/Resource Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bangor, ME 04401March 7, 2017
They have lost their way in the last few years. It used to be very personal but now it is business and the staff feel unwanted/loved and they have gone to the other hospital to work. Fabulous new facility. Life Flight, state of the art everything.
Hi company loyalty
IS PMO Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bangor MaineFebruary 23, 2017
Great, nurturing team of folks in the IT PMO.
Learning all the time about EMR and areas for improvement.
Each day working across multiple projects - unrelated
Working with diverse skills and department.
Pros
the people
Cons
cross function communication
Worked over thirty years in this organization committed to becoming the best
Staff Developer (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEFebruary 16, 2017
Supportive work environment, worked with many wonderful professionals. Ability to use talents in position as Staff Developer a majority of my career here to impact greatly through my own development. I was supported heavily by management, recognized for my high level of professionalism, and the CMO was wonderful and very committed to patient safety. Upon my departure, he told me that I was a very valuable professional who had done as much for quality and patient safety at the organization as had anyone else.
There was no hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part was the support to use my talents to create innovative programs, and also to be an informal internal consultant in quality and patient safety. This organization is very supportive of education - received my master's degree with their assistance.
Pros
Ability to develop leadership skills, support of creative energy
Cons
Policies started in past few years being unsupportive of staff
Lots of room to expand
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEFebruary 11, 2017
preceptors great to work with. flexible hours. lots of room to expand and experience different positions. I would recommend this facitly to another nursing student.
i would work here until retirement if i didn't have to move
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEFebruary 3, 2017
emmc is a good hospital full of hard working respiratory therapists. It can be very busy at times and RRTs are expected to keep a fast pace but there are so many opportunities to learn and grow as a therapist. i love that they allow respiratory the freedom to do our jobs within hospital protocols so we dont need to run to the md for an order for every litttle thing. hardest part is staffing problems plague the department because it is rather remote over here in Bangor ME and the closest school putting out rt grads is shutting down their program. If you are an RRT looking for work and willing to move to Maine, EMMC is the best hospital this state has to offer, in my opinion.
Pros
strong skill set among coworkers, fast pace
Cons
staffing
Over confident for no reason
Administration (Former Employee) –  Brewer, MEOctober 21, 2016
EMMC/EMHS believes they are the best healthcare system, however, for those who are experienced in healthcare would be quick to discover that it is a poorly managed healthcare system. The executive leaders are incompetent, pompous, and arrogant. HR is useless; managers assign too much work their staff and the general attitude of the employees tend to be tired and overworked. Benefits are poor and pay is under the market value.
Fast working enviornment but get the work done
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 27, 2016
EMMC care about their patients but bed side manner is at a fast paced. All in all the care is great and they all work very hard to make sure you get the care you need.
Great place to gain experience for further education and great benefits
Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 19, 2016
I worked as a Nursing Techinican here for a year, I loved all my co-workers (great teamwork) and all my patients, however I had unexpected surgery and notified my nurse manager and it was counted as call outs and I was terminated? They don't care about PATIENT CARE, it's all about attention and they wonder why they are always short staffed when they get rid of people for stupid reasons such as this! It's a great place if you want to gain experience before you head off to nursing school, great benefits, friendly staff but the management has stupid rules and the CNA pay is down right awful especially for a hospital.. Lowest I've ever made as a CNA.. I also feel that the CNA's are very under appreciated considering we do 80% of the work!!
Pros
Great benefits, friendly staff, awesome team work
Cons
Awful pay, interrupted lunch breaks
Great organization
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMarch 26, 2016
As I said earlier a great organization enjoyed the work, staff. I met many wonderful people and learned so much about the medical billing field. The hardest part was the delay insurance companies place each year before paying claims. The easiest was the organization itself.
Pros
the organization
Cons
NA
TERRIBLE work environment
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEDecember 12, 2015
Terrible place to work! WAY too many managers and not enough people to do what it's there for, PATIENT CARE. MOST managers completely out of touch with issues! Human Resources less than helpful! Difficult to talk to and do NOT address issues.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Too many managers, Staff meetings unproductive, constantly less and less help to do the same amt of work.
Busy working place
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEDecember 4, 2015
Cleaning and sanitize patient areas and room
Hardest part of the job is cleaning an area and cleaning beds
The part I enjoy the most is helping patient family members find where they need to be.
Pros
Pays good, Friendly staff
Cons
Alot of walking
Oncology Department provides a great working environment.
Coordinator for Oncology Revenue (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEOctober 30, 2015
Working at EMMC Cancer Care is an incredible experience. The institution has afforded me many opportunities to grow as well as providing me with stepping stones to better myself and my productivity. Management in the clinic works closely with the staff to enable them to provide the best possible care to all our patients. To say that our department is like family would be an understatement. We work in a close environment and can count of management to support us in resolving issues as well as supporting us in possible advancement within the department or Institution as a whole.
Pros
Our benefits are great - I am able to obtain 3 weeks off in a row for vacation time.
Cons
Working in a close environment makes it difficult to concentrate and be productive at times.
Serious Work Environment
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEAugust 29, 2015
It is a challenging but awarding work place with helpful coworkers.
I enjoy the daily challenge of the job. I love the people I work with.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Questionable boss
Access Management Trainer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEAugust 9, 2015
Productive working environment, where one has the ability to grow as an employee. Excellent management and customer service driven environment.
EMMC is an excellent place to work. They really care about their employees.
Preregistration Representative (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEJuly 23, 2015
I am moving back to Lake Havasu City, AZ in the near future and would love to find work before I arrive there. I am honest, dependable, a quick learner and a hard worker. I come with great references and I would love to talk with you. Please call and leave me a message at any time.

Thank you for your consideration.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
not sure they have any for me
Nursing
RN, BSN (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 9, 2015
This facility is reason I want out of healthcare field. Not a hospital or management style I would recommend. My co-workers were very hard working under a severe and unsafe work environment
State of the Art equipment
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 28, 2015
Management is a puppet on a string for a board that is absolutely out of touch. Overall, for a small state, we have state of the art equipment and the latest technology. The patient ratio is 5:1 on days which is standard. It's busy but not a bad place to work.
Pros
great pay, good patient to nurse ratio
Cons
board of directors and management out of touch
Large campus for an intern to explore
Social Work Departmental Intern (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 1, 2015
Nurses and other social workers were happy to pass on challenging cases to this author. They did however rely quite heavily on this author to assemble discharge packets -- much time in front of the photocopier.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems Reviews by Location