Eastern Michigan University

Eastern Michigan University Employer Reviews

Nursing Faculty (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: hard to get fulltime
This University is open and honest about your employment. They promote from within and put open jobs to employees first.
Good workplace environment
Graduate Assistant at Bonisteel Lab (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: free tuition with a monthly paid.
Cons: short break for each day
- Co-workers and supervisors are kind and nice.
- It is a good learning experience assisting faculties and students, performing a monthly statement, and documenting inventories.
Nice place to work
Graduation Auditor (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIDecember 20, 2014
Pros: paycheck was good
Cons: how days off are calculated
I enjoyed working here. Couldn't get used to some of their policies, as I worked at UM for many years. My job was awesome.
Small school great for learning
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIDecember 14, 2014
Pros: good money and work
Cons: time consuming
I taught astronomy lab twice a week educating students.

I learned patience and understanding, but also how to be stern and respectful.

As an employee I worked under a full time professor and often had great chats.

The hardest part of the day was balancing work with school
Fun Work Place, Learned a Lot
Student Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MichiganDecember 8, 2014
Working at this job I was always learning new things. I worked in the Women's Resource Center and I always met new people and did different things as far as planning events. The staff here was wonderful and my boss was the greatest. She was really passionate about her work and you could see that in everything she did. This job also gave me plenty of opportunities to volunteer and give back and that's one of the things I liked most about this job.
easy going low production culture
Software Developer (Former Employee), ypsilanti, MIDecember 6, 2014
I always had to create work for myself. Nobody, including my manager really had any vision or direction for me or my team. There are lots of opportunities to tinker with things and learn new stuff but there is nothing to push you, no leadership, and no incentive to be good at your job.
Work Study Student
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MINovember 23, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, on-campus job
I worked here as a work study student. This job taught me how to manage school and work while earning wages.
good co-worker team to work with
Client/Server Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MINovember 11, 2014
Pros: able to stay current with skills
Cons: working with short staff user community
a typical day at work:
reasonable workload

what you learned:
work on/learned/developed PL/SQL, PERL scripts

management::
attentive to needs, projects

co-workers
reliable and dependable, good to work with

the hardest part of the job:
working with short staff user community

the most enjoyable part of the job:
working with co-workers/users
My time at Eastern Michigan University College of Education was a great learning experience.
Lecturer (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIOctober 9, 2014
Pros: it was a continual learning experience.
Cons: just when students and i got comfortable with each other and the course--the semester would end!!
My time at the College of Education at Eastern Michigan University was very rewarding. I had tremendous autonomy but could also call upon others for advice or direction if needed. It was difficult work to teach 5 courses each semester, but the students are great and learned a lot, as did I.
Bureaucratic nightmare
Sports Official (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 30, 2014
Poor communication, lots of drama, penny pinchers, horrible management.
Work Satisfaction
Database Technician (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 21, 2014
Has a good work culture and lots of chances to grow.
Allows you to creatively put forward your ideas
Great place to advance your career
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 14, 2014
Pros: learn a great deal about your field
Cons: compensation is not competitive
I enjoyed reinforcing my knowledge and skills that I attained while in the graduate and undergraduate programs at Eastern Michigan University.
Excellent place to be at
Database Technician (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 9, 2014
Good working environment with cooperative teammates.
Learning to manage a team
Great Opportunity
ACT Prep Instructor (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJuly 31, 2014
Pros: working with youth, empowering students
Cons: program ended fast
Every day would consist of a test for the students and I learned that it helped in preparing them for the test. I was so happy to hear back from them that it made a difference. I learned that finding ways to motivate students to take a test required me to listen to their desires for taking the course. I was fully supported by management with resources and materials. The most challenging part at first was finding a way to meet the students at the appropriate level because their capabilities varied so much. I enjoyed seeing the light go off in their minds when they grasped concepts. The experience was priceless!
it was a great job.
Housekeeping Associate (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJuly 6, 2014
Pros: fun job
Cons: no more pay raises after750
open the store, unload truck,prep food for the day,clean store and bathrooms. work the cash and help out customers.
Fun and difficult at times
Head Baseball Coach (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 28, 2014
Pros: freedom to do what i needed to do
Cons: i was not given the resources to be successful
1. Typical day at work-it would change from month to month. If in season I would review film, go over game plan, mentor student-athletes, monitor school progress, I would manage over 40 people daily, call and meet with donors, call and meet with recruits and their parents and go to meetings.

Out of season-I would plan practice, execute practice and weight lifting, I would review film, go over game plan, mentor student-athletes, monitor school progress, I would manage over 40 people daily, call and meet with donors, call and meet with recruits and their parents and go to meetings.

2. I learned that even if you do everything correct in regards other than winning you will be fired.

3. Management was very good until the new manager came in and wanted their own people in, no matter what

4. Co-workers were good and easy to work with as we all had the same goals and worked well with one another.

5. The most difficult part of my job was being held to a first place standard with last place resources and even though I graduated all my student-athletes, had a high team GPA and we lead all of athletics in community service. It was extremely difficult to do all of the above fund raise an additional coaches salary and fund raise to supplement my budget every year.

6. The most enjoyable part of the job-I made my own schedule, and I was able to make a considerable difference in young peoples life
Great RN to BSn program
Registered nurse active (Current Employee), YpsilantiJune 12, 2014
Pros: helps you think all the ways you can improve the nature of healthcare delivery
Cons: you will only get out of it what you put into it
I have loved being a student at EMU. Every class has opened my eyes to more possibilities to practice. Very positive and affirming learning experience.
I would highly recommend this program to any RN without a BSN.
If anyone wonders whether getting an advanced degree is worth it, please know that the answer is yes.
Whether or not it increases your pay, it will make you a better nurse it will absolutely improve your patient care, and that is priceless.
Acquiring knowledge has been my goal at EMU.
Productive and Engaging Work place
Corporate Relations Intern (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 12, 2014
Pros: social and productive environment
Cons: limited work hours
A typical day would be going in to work and reporting to my supervisor. My supervisor would give me a list of tasks to accomplish, which included organizing paperwork, updating excel spreadsheets, and making phone calls. I would complete those tasks and report back to my supervisor.
I learned many ways to stay organized including creating files using Microsoft Access Databases. I learned how to communicate effectively over the telephone.
All of my coworkers were pleasant and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was having a limited amount of hours since it was a Work Study job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that so much was accomplished.
fun and productive place to work..
Prep cook (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 5, 2014
Pros: the food is good and free for workers
Cons: short of staffs
I would like to illustrate a few qualities that may not be immediately apparent in the education and experience sections of my resume. One of these qualities is my affinity for executing tasks efficiently. Reliability, accountability and the ability to understand people from all walks of life are innate values which I possess. My culinary arts, hotel management, and restaurant service background has given me valuable interpersonal and organizational skills. These are crucial assets because they are also used in daily life scenarios. Confidence and motivation are characteristics that have always come naturally to me. It would be ideal to utilize all the above qualifications to contribute to your organizational success.
Loved it
Event Staff/ Maintenance (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 3, 2014
Typical day at work was come light maintenance of the building and mostly comprised of watching the phones in the office, very relaxed environment and student oriented.

1 2 3 4