Eastern Michigan University

Eastern Michigan University Employer Reviews

Fun Work Place, Learned a Lot
Student Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MichiganDecember 8, 2014
Working at this job I was always learning new things. I worked in the Women's Resource Center and I always met new people and did different things as far as planning events. The staff here was wonderful and my boss was the greatest. She was really passionate about her work and you could see that in everything she did. This job also gave me plenty of – more... opportunities to volunteer and give back and that's one of the things I liked most about this job. – less
easy going low production culture
Software Developer (Former Employee), ypsilanti, MIDecember 6, 2014
I always had to create work for myself. Nobody, including my manager really had any vision or direction for me or my team. There are lots of opportunities to tinker with things and learn new stuff but there is nothing to push you, no leadership, and no incentive to be good at your job.
Work Study Student
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MINovember 23, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, on-campus job
I worked here as a work study student. This job taught me how to manage school and work while earning wages.
good co-worker team to work with
Client/Server Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MINovember 11, 2014
Pros: able to stay current with skills
Cons: working with short staff user community
a typical day at work:
reasonable workload

what you learned:
work on/learned/developed PL/SQL, PERL scripts

management::
attentive to needs, projects

co-workers
reliable and dependable, good to work with

the hardest part of the job:
working with short staff user community

the most enjoyable part of the job:
working with co-workers/users
My time at Eastern Michigan University College of Education was a great learning experience.
Lecturer (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIOctober 9, 2014
Pros: it was a continual learning experience.
Cons: just when students and i got comfortable with each other and the course--the semester would end!!
My time at the College of Education at Eastern Michigan University was very rewarding. I had tremendous autonomy but could also call upon others for advice or direction if needed. It was difficult work to teach 5 courses each semester, but the students are great and learned a lot, as did I.
Bureaucratic nightmare
Sports Official (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 30, 2014
Poor communication, lots of drama, penny pinchers, horrible management.
Work Satisfaction
Database Technician (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 21, 2014
Has a good work culture and lots of chances to grow.
Allows you to creatively put forward your ideas
Great place to advance your career
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 14, 2014
Pros: learn a great deal about your field
Cons: compensation is not competitive
I enjoyed reinforcing my knowledge and skills that I attained while in the graduate and undergraduate programs at Eastern Michigan University.
Excellent place to be at
Database Technician (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 9, 2014
Good working environment with cooperative teammates.
Learning to manage a team
Great Opportunity
ACT Prep Instructor (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJuly 31, 2014
Pros: working with youth, empowering students
Cons: program ended fast
Every day would consist of a test for the students and I learned that it helped in preparing them for the test. I was so happy to hear back from them that it made a difference. I learned that finding ways to motivate students to take a test required me to listen to their desires for taking the course. I was fully supported by management with resources – more... and materials. The most challenging part at first was finding a way to meet the students at the appropriate level because their capabilities varied so much. I enjoyed seeing the light go off in their minds when they grasped concepts. The experience was priceless! – less
it was a great job.
Housekeeping Associate (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJuly 6, 2014
Pros: fun job
Cons: no more pay raises after750
open the store, unload truck,prep food for the day,clean store and bathrooms. work the cash and help out customers.
Fun and difficult at times
Head Baseball Coach (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 28, 2014
Pros: freedom to do what i needed to do
Cons: i was not given the resources to be successful
1. Typical day at work-it would change from month to month. If in season I would review film, go over game plan, mentor student-athletes, monitor school progress, I would manage over 40 people daily, call and meet with donors, call and meet with recruits and their parents and go to meetings.

Out of season-I would plan practice, execute practice and – more... weight lifting, I would review film, go over game plan, mentor student-athletes, monitor school progress, I would manage over 40 people daily, call and meet with donors, call and meet with recruits and their parents and go to meetings.

2. I learned that even if you do everything correct in regards other than winning you will be fired.

3. Management was very good until the new manager came in and wanted their own people in, no matter what

4. Co-workers were good and easy to work with as we all had the same goals and worked well with one another.

5. The most difficult part of my job was being held to a first place standard with last place resources and even though I graduated all my student-athletes, had a high team GPA and we lead all of athletics in community service. It was extremely difficult to do all of the above fund raise an additional coaches salary and fund raise to supplement my budget every year.

6. The most enjoyable part of the job-I made my own schedule, and I was able to make a considerable difference in young peoples life – less
Great RN to BSn program
Registered nurse active (Current Employee), YpsilantiJune 12, 2014
Pros: helps you think all the ways you can improve the nature of healthcare delivery
Cons: you will only get out of it what you put into it
I have loved being a student at EMU. Every class has opened my eyes to more possibilities to practice. Very positive and affirming learning experience.
I would highly recommend this program to any RN without a BSN.
If anyone wonders whether getting an advanced degree is worth it, please know that the answer is yes.
Whether or not it increases your pay, – more... it will make you a better nurse it will absolutely improve your patient care, and that is priceless.
Acquiring knowledge has been my goal at EMU. – less
Productive and Engaging Work place
Corporate Relations Intern (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 12, 2014
Pros: social and productive environment
Cons: limited work hours
A typical day would be going in to work and reporting to my supervisor. My supervisor would give me a list of tasks to accomplish, which included organizing paperwork, updating excel spreadsheets, and making phone calls. I would complete those tasks and report back to my supervisor.
I learned many ways to stay organized including creating files using – more... Microsoft Access Databases. I learned how to communicate effectively over the telephone.
All of my coworkers were pleasant and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was having a limited amount of hours since it was a Work Study job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that so much was accomplished. – less
fun and productive place to work..
Prep cook (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 5, 2014
Pros: the food is good and free for workers
Cons: short of staffs
I would like to illustrate a few qualities that may not be immediately apparent in the education and experience sections of my resume. One of these qualities is my affinity for executing tasks efficiently. Reliability, accountability and the ability to understand people from all walks of life are innate values which I possess. My culinary arts, hotel – more... management, and restaurant service background has given me valuable interpersonal and organizational skills. These are crucial assets because they are also used in daily life scenarios. Confidence and motivation are characteristics that have always come naturally to me. It would be ideal to utilize all the above qualifications to contribute to your organizational success. – less
Loved it
Event Staff/ Maintenance (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJune 3, 2014
Typical day at work was come light maintenance of the building and mostly comprised of watching the phones in the office, very relaxed environment and student oriented.
job
Night-Watch Personal (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMay 20, 2014
It was a job on campus. I met new people and like learned that some people are very friendly.
Fun but busy workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMay 12, 2014
This job working at the crossroads in Eastern Michigan could be fun depedning on your coworkers.
Supplemental Instruction: A Labor of Love
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMay 12, 2014
Pros: the students and faculty are wonderfully helpful and kind.
Cons: not paid enough.
This my experience as a supplemental instructor for an introduction to cultural anthropology course. Obviously, the experience will differ for someone doing this for chemistry or English.

A typical day as a supplemental instructor involves attending the one hour and fifteen minute course for which you SI. In between there you may have a course of which – more... you are a student in or a break. If it is the latter, printing worksheets and thinking of creative solutions to the problems you foresaw in the material during the class just now will help to troubleshoot in advanced what students will bring to you later in one or both of this weeks two fifty-five minute SI sessions.

Assuming you have the session on that same day, you arrive at the location of your session (often not the same building as the class itself) and may or may not have the room to yourself in advance for preparation. If that time exists, you may use it to gather your thoughts, place out worksheets or materials for the students to grab when they walk in, or to possibly run off a few last minute copies. If you do not, then waiting outside impatiently, possibly running off copies is the alternative.

Students arrive (ideally on time, may do trickle in, however) and they sign in using a QR code scanner. This is akin to a barcode and looks like a strange black and white box of gibberish shapes. Each student has a unique one which contains only their email address. This is more high-tech version of the ol' written form of this information.

After this, students are free to seat themselves and settle in for the session. I usually make sure that they pull out their class notes, heckling any student that 'forgot' theirs. This gives the latecomers time to trickle in as students already in the room formulate any questions or comments that they have regarding the recent material. When I ask them for any questions, a number of responses are common: 1.) I was absent, can you explain _____ to me? 2.) I don't understand _______, can you explain it to me? 3.) A personal anecdote/connection to the material (rare). or 4.) Silence.

The best strategy to deal with one and two are to refer the students to the other students in the room i.e. Can anyone answer this question? What do we think the answer is? Number threes are the best, as they foster a discussion often worth having i.e. My boyfriend if from China and so, yeah, I've seen his family do some strange medical things like in the film. It weirds me out and I would never try it. Obviously, other students will chime in with their opinions and we have the ball rolling. It is my job, however, to steer the conversation ever so gently toward the course material. Often trying to communicate the diversity of the world while still validating American's sense of superiority and invincibility is often the hardest part of my job.

Once that discussion has simmered down, or perhaps if it has taken a turn for the worst (gossip) or has taken up more than half of the session, we will move on to an activity. This can take a myriad of forms. Worksheets are very common. Word searches, crosswords, a collection of photos that summarize the people/concepts being studied, T-charts, BINGO, and more occur throughout the semester. I often reward the students with prizes for their completion or good behavior during the exorcises. My favorite prize to give out is bags of instant popcorn. I tell the students that their hard work deserves a movie night.

Two other components of being an SI are the one hour a week professor meeting and one hour team meeting. Meeting with the professor may or may not actually take the full hour, depending on each others' schedule and need to meet. Often what's discussed is new ideas for each others' ability to communicate with the students on both distinct platforms. Any students grievances may be brought up, the most common of which I get is "Can we move the test to next week?" I tend to make the case as I see fit, not necessarily always siding with either party. The trouble is that the professor cannot see the way in which their instruction method has been received by the students. Some concepts are glossed over in ten minutes as something the students should already have a grasp on when indeed this is not the case. Vice visa is also common. Attempting to accommodate a myriad (15 - 200) of learning styles is perhaps the professor's hardest job component.

Ideally you want to maintain a comfortable level of communication with your professor. They are your mentors and, assuming that they are not total jerks, any weaknesses that you have should be on the table for improvement. Also, any problem(s) you encounter with the student(s) should be a topic of discussion. Does one not know how to put the phone down? Are you having trouble helping them with quantitative applications? The professor will most certainly help you directly, and then send you to places with other modalities for your own personal study such as websites, books, publications, other staff members, or campus organizations. YOU have to take the initiative to make the best of your professor meetings. Make yourself better because no one else will. As soon as you realize that you have an opportunity to help these students make it through one LEGO block of their education, you should feel empowered to give them all you have in that effort.

Team meetings are exactly as they sound, a group of SIs (4 - 8) in a room for one hour discussing the trials, tribulations, and success of the job in which they all share. Tears can be shed, frustrations let out in the open, new skills learned through company-wide small presentations, and real friends gained.

Now, the atmosphere of a team meeting is largely defined by the team leader. There is one per meeting and they are usually former SIs. These people can define weather the meetings center around games, food, and a light camaraderie or a more stern, professionalism take on the meeting. Either way, these are wonderful places to gain insight from other, far-reaching disciplines on how to communicate in new and novel ways.

All in all, this has been and will continue to be a job that I adore. So much in fact, that I passed up the opportunity to become a team leader for more pay and more hours but the loss of the direct student interaction. Being an SI is a sense of helping and lifting up students when they're in a rut. It's the excitement of seeing them with a positive grade or the opportunity to work with them for a better one next time. Being an SI has helped me define the motherly instinct within and my inherent optimism for the human race. It helped me better understand my own discipline through teaching it to others and it helped me expand my creative mind as I tried to think of the material from every learning modality and not just my own.

Despite being paid fairly poorly (minimum wage), this job has been everything I could ask for and more as a poor college student with a major in anthropology. Second only to being a real professor, I'm sure. – less
clerical job
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIApril 12, 2014
this is a easy job for me. all my co-workers are nice and help-full.

1 2 3 4