Eastern Michigan University Employee Reviews

Polymers&Coatings Department
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 17, 2016
Offers so many opportunities due to applied science environment, I personally recommend to be in that area and pursue Msc degree
Pros
Hands on experience with companies
Cons
Healthcare
Challenging. Student-Centered. Growth-Oriented. Creative.
Instructor/Grants and Programs Development (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 5, 2016
Opportunities to explore many avenues to contribute to the body of knowledge and to education of underserved populations through direct service and hands-on, in-the-field research.
Enjoy Work with the People at EMU
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 29, 2016
There are some great people that work at EMU. I have learned a lot about higher education. I enjoy working with the students and being able to assist them in achieving their goals. I have a great supervisor and she understands the value of people and the importance of family. The leadership at EMU in the past few years has decline and the employees and students are feeling the ramifications of their poor decision making. Hoping the new president can turn things around. Thanks
Pre Service Teaching
Pre-Service Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 20, 2016
I honestly loved being part of the grant that allowed us to teach. Typically throughout the week we would plan our lessons and get feedback from other educators to perfect the topics we would present every Friday. We were expected to create lesson plans that incorporated both the core topic and an artistic project to accompany it. Every Friday we went to River Rouge Middle School where we led the class in our lesson, my class rooms were sixth grade mathematics as well as assisting with Spanish speaking students in English and History classes. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing how much the students enjoyed us being there as well as the feedback I received from fellow teachers. It was incredible to know that I was succeeding at my goals.
Strong support and flexibility guaranteed
Part-time volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 17, 2016
As an intern/volunteer, I've been having a great time here.
They are very flexible in terms of scheduling and arrangement, and also open to your ideas (running workshops, informative sessions, etc...).
I've learned so much in the field of my interest; they are passionate about their jobs, constantly look for opportunities to make their services better, and strive on their professional development (at least as far as I know about my supervisor, her colleagues, and her boss).
Advancement opportunities for the willing
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MI 48197July 1, 2016
Anyone who is interested in working in a certain field of study as they progress through their academic career should seek a position in one of the many admin. and sec. positions at EMU. Through my job here, I was able to meet many of the same people i would hopefully be mirroring in my later years.
Pros
Meeting many people, networking, flexible schedule
Cons
pay
There to help
SEEUS Escort (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 25, 2016
SEEUS provides friendly escorts for students and staff to feel comfortable in their travels around campus at night. Meeting new people nightly and making new friends while getting paid.
Staff Photographer
Staff Photographer (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 21, 2016
Good work environment, great staff always willing to help. Open to ideas that I brought to the table.
Pros
flexible hours
College campus dining service
Student Staff, Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 18, 2016
Set up dining area, make sure customers had a comfortable eating environment. clean tables, cover others area at times, prep and serve food. Supervisors and managers gave directions and made sure the job was getting done. This job was fairly easy, most enjoyable was eating
Pros
free meals
Cons
nobody likes cleaning after someone messy.
Accessible and Flexible work Environment
Drama Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 16, 2016
Eastern provides the best employment opportunities for students, with competitive pay, and understanding and flexible hours.
Great for students to learn real world experience
Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 6, 2016
Learning the production aspect in a university setting was very helpful and rewarding. To get the real experience before graduation was valuable.
Productive and laid back
Mailroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 4, 2016
Fun and easy. There are some days when things may seem hectic but they really aren't. Just complete one task at a time. Ive learned how to do spreadsheets, input data, deliver packages to different departments. Working in this position has been very helpful in expanding my network of people i communicate with.
Great Place to get a start in teaching.
Student Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMay 5, 2016
This is a fun environment where students interact with professors in varying courses to assist in the overall goal of high student achievement. It is an opportunity to learn teaching skills that may be useful for anyone planning to teach at the secondary education level in the future.
Great working environment with great organization and high paced work
VP assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMay 4, 2016
The things that I encountered with working at Eastern Michigan University were great experiences. My supervisors and co-workers were kind and understand and were willing to help me when needed. The communications kills were great and I learned how to be super detailed as well to run many different events with event planning. It was one of the best experience and I had learned so much.
Good place to work if you are a part-time lecturer
Part Time Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMay 3, 2016
Good place to work if you are a part-time lecturer. There is decent pay for what it is, though pay in general for a part-time lecturer positions are not enough to live off at any university. It is contractual, so no benefits. If you have a dual income then the job is better.
Pros
Union
Benefits
Housing & Residence Life
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downing HallApril 26, 2016
This is a good job for any student at EMU who is looking for a place to get their feet wet and make a little money while doing so. As one of the many student jobs available on campus, this is one of the few that pays above average rates and pays at an hourly rate. The supervisor is a sweetheart and super flexible with hours and need of absence from work, so long as you email her in advance.

I worked in a two-three hour shift twice per week in between classes and it was great, and also I had direct access to the Commons right upstairs for food.
Pros
Easy access to Commons, great coworkers and supervisor
Cons
Tedious work, not much variety
School of Engineering Technology Review
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIApril 25, 2016
Working in this office was a unique learning experience. They allowed me to take leadership opportunities to progress my skills. The people working in the office were friendly and informative.
Siloed thinking - zero initiative for continuous improvement
Intern (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMarch 10, 2016
Management controlled by trades
Poor practices of the past control processes
Management does not have initiatives to improve
Money wasted on duplicate materials, obsolete materials
Excellent Program
Fast Track Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 16, 2016
I was a group leader at Eastern Michigan University. I was the mentor to students who came in for registration and to get a glance at the university. It was an extremely rewarding job that helped me grow as a person and taught me a lot about culture and differences. The hardest part of the job was that sometimes we would have unexpected things occur, such as a student had wandered off, a parent was interrupted, or events were way off of schedule. It was a great job to keep you on your toes and help you learn to go with the flow. My co-workers were all some of the funnest people I met, and my bosses were peers which made them great to work with.
N/a
EO Resident Mentor (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MINovember 30, 2015
Meet with students regularly, conduct study groups, facilitate workshops, engage help students holistically adapt to the collegiate environment, and provide support, encouragement, and leadership for the fifty (50) participants during the three-week Summer Incentive Program

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2