Eastern Michigan University Employee Reviews

Good place to work if you are a part-time lecturer
Part Time Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIMay 3, 2016
Good place to work if you are a part-time lecturer. There is decent pay for what it is, though pay in general for a part-time lecturer positions are not enough to live off at any university. It is contractual, so no benefits. If you have a dual income then the job is better.
Pros
Union
Benefits
Interactive learning experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 18, 2017
Eastern Michigan University created a wonderful opportunity to excel in the teaching field. I learned to convey necessary scientific information to introductory biology students in a safe, fun learning environment. Interacting with students was a critical part of the job. Management was fair and in good practice.
Pros
Experience in teaching field
Cons
Grading non-paid hours
fun and easy
Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 16, 2016
Just went into work and sold tickets and then helped clean. Management was understanding because we were college students with class and other responsibilities. Co-workers were fun to get along with
Pros
flexible shedule
Cons
pay
Government fund knowledge and student stimulation was the best part of this job.
Accountant II & Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MichiganJanuary 6, 2017
At EMU I learned the process of all the government funds including the financial statements. In addition I worked closely with students on a daily basis and thoroughly enjoyed it. Summers were ruined with year end closings.
Research assitant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 7, 2015
Regular meetings with the department Directors that comprise the research team. Meetings address questions, concerns or needs and move the research forward. Daily check for updates and review progress of HIC-IRB for collaborative research project. Research and reviewing programs used in the medical industry to assess the benefits and how they may be of benefit to the facility.
Completing CITI training at the highest research level was required of me as a research team member.

Gaining an first-hand understanding of interdepartmental workings with supportive management. Learning how and what departments need to complete to meet compliance standards for Federal, educational and medical standards. I enjoy working with a diverse group of professional staff. Addressing and overcoming challenges is a regular part of the job, it also the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Gaing knowledge, skills and ability in my field
Cons
Less than favorable employment opportunity
Pre Service Teaching
Pre-Service Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 20, 2016
I honestly loved being part of the grant that allowed us to teach. Typically throughout the week we would plan our lessons and get feedback from other educators to perfect the topics we would present every Friday. We were expected to create lesson plans that incorporated both the core topic and an artistic project to accompany it. Every Friday we went to River Rouge Middle School where we led the class in our lesson, my class rooms were sixth grade mathematics as well as assisting with Spanish speaking students in English and History classes. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing how much the students enjoyed us being there as well as the feedback I received from fellow teachers. It was incredible to know that I was succeeding at my goals.
Excellent School but poor leadership and administration
Director (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIOctober 17, 2016
EMU has wonderful programs, faculty and operations, and students receive a great education. However high-level management doesn't value the staff and employees enough.
Fun and busy
Graduate Assistant (GA) (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 5, 2016
I would go to my office and grade assignment and test of the students and then help my professor if he needs anything. I learnt to work with many different people from different backgrounds.
Pros
Had a nice office and free parking anywhere around campus
Cons
not flexible hours and lots of students
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 29, 2016
This was a fun loving place of work. Everyone has open arms to the students and is willing to help out others at any cost. My everyday work experience consisted of helping students to find local jobs on campus and consul them on employment up keep.
Cons
pay
Good College
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 23, 2016
Communication, Media & Theatre Arts department is full of amazing people to work with.Schedule can change at any moment. Even the day before classes start they might decide to drop one of your classes.
Productive, Fun Workplace
Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIFebruary 25, 2017
Working for Eastern is very fun and convenient if you live on campus. The environment is always energetic and fun, work is usually productive. The hardest part is getting things done before your shift is over.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 6, 2016
The staff was really helpful and organized. The building was always clean and had smiling faces from everybody. The teachers were very professional and provided a learning and developing environment.
Great people to work with
University Photographer (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 1, 2017
I loved my job and the people at the university. great experience. New president is a good choice. University always has money struggles which affects employees.
Fun and easy
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 20, 2016
Working for eastern was one of the most memorable experiences. The whole staff is just so caring about their student. Every day was a learning experience and teaching others was even more fun.
Easy stuff
Lactation Consultant (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 23, 2017
Great site,Helpful people love my time with them .. Great school always up to date . Awesome programs. Like that they have extended programs throughout the state.
Advancement opportunities for the willing
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MI 48197July 1, 2016
Anyone who is interested in working in a certain field of study as they progress through their academic career should seek a position in one of the many admin. and sec. positions at EMU. Through my job here, I was able to meet many of the same people i would hopefully be mirroring in my later years.
Pros
Meeting many people, networking, flexible schedule
Cons
pay
Enjoy Work with the People at EMU
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 29, 2016
There are some great people that work at EMU. I have learned a lot about higher education. I enjoy working with the students and being able to assist them in achieving their goals. I have a great supervisor and she understands the value of people and the importance of family. The leadership at EMU in the past few years has decline and the employees and students are feeling the ramifications of their poor decision making. Hoping the new president can turn things around. Thanks
There is alot of work to complete
Student Map Archivist (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MINovember 16, 2016
Many changes and updates create much work. Updates and new construction at the university create opportunities for new equipment and innovation in systems.
Pros
Good atmosphere.
Cons
Much to do.
HVAC/Refrigeration Technician (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MINovember 30, 2016
Good place to work very demanding and must be knowledgeable in all aspects of the HVAC/R industry. We run in when everybody else is on the way out. Enjoy the challenge
Strong support and flexibility guaranteed
Part-time volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 17, 2016
As an intern/volunteer, I've been having a great time here.
They are very flexible in terms of scheduling and arrangement, and also open to your ideas (running workshops, informative sessions, etc...).
I've learned so much in the field of my interest; they are passionate about their jobs, constantly look for opportunities to make their services better, and strive on their professional development (at least as far as I know about my supervisor, her colleagues, and her boss).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2