Eastern Michigan University Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Staff Management (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 10, 2018
Even with low funding from the state and big brother (UofM) just five minutes away, EMU continues to work well as a large university. Yes, it does have its challenges, but it is a vibrant university with a large student base, a committed faculty, and a resourceful staff.
Cons
Constant budget cuts, overfunded athletics
Graduate Assistant
First-Year Writing Instructor (Graduate Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 2, 2018
While completing my MA degree, I worked as a graduate assistant in two different departments. I enjoyed working with EMU's student population in these capacities, and I value the experience I gained here.
On campus there's always something exciting going on
Admissions Adviser (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 12, 2017
This was an exciting place to work. The culture has changed somewhat in administration because it used to be a time where it felt like family however now there are so many new faces and it seems like its all about the money and not the students anymore. Things have certainly changed but maybe with faculty things feel more like the same as far as a community and family. Shrugs
fun teaching
Part Time Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 9, 2017
The teaching here is very fun and very flexible. I have lab aides, I work in a computer lab where every student has a computer, and the university provides with everything I need.
Pros
honor students
Cons
no cons
Fun, collaborative job
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 8, 2017
My graphic design work largely consisted of making posters for various events and speakers. On occasion I would have to make the odd booklet or cutout prop. Management encouraged creativity while staying true to university branding. I worked in a large office with a number of other people from different teams in Campus Life. At-work potlucks and other social events made it easier to get to know everyone and have a good time working together. The hardest part of my job was honestly trying to fill the downtime. Sometimes I was left with nothing to work on while I waited for other departments or individuals to get back to me.
Pros
Free food from events, fun work culture
Cons
no paid time off, no benefits
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 7, 2017
easy
fun college bs job that no longer exist the dept doesnt exist the job is know under the IA people not the labs i sat at a desk and filled printers with n paper all day the end
Referring!
Referee (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIOctober 3, 2017
The refereeing gig was a good thing! I was a male, a student there at the time, who loved playing basketball. It was the perfect little gig. I got to have fun
Good environment
Adjunct Graduate Faculty (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 29, 2017
A good and supportive environment. Provided great experience for teaching at the graduate level. Students were studious and inspiring, a good setting overall.
Valuable
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 28, 2017
Valuable research and great dynamic. Love the coworkers and the research experience with professors and students. Excellent flexibility in scheduling, management was supportive and helpful.
Eh
Walton and Putnam resident housing (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 29, 2017
If you live on campus it is good to have. It us good for extra money if you have another job and the job is fairly easy. All you will need to do is keep an eye out.
Stressful, but depends on area
HR COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Not disclosedAugust 28, 2017
Every section has its own culture. Do your homework before applying. Some sections require blood, sweat an tears on the clock and off, while others wouldn't know if you slipped into a coma.
Supportive evironment and work life balance
Administrative Assistant / Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 28, 2017
Eastern Michigan University is a diverse environment with a mix of student/faculty staff which embraces a fun, healthy & professional atmosphere. Employment advancement were abundant.
Great if you need it
Cooks Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 27, 2017
I had this job while I was a student and it was perfect for me. If you need some extra income as a student it's a great place and you'll get a free meal out of it.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Can be boring
our video coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 21, 2017
Working at Eastern Michigan University was fun and exciting, I was around the game of football and a lot of great people. The management was great and taught me a lot.
Overall Critique
Program Associate, College of Technology (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 16, 2017
At EMU for 23 years. Ready to move forward to a more rewarding position. I gained all my certifications and degrees from EMU and it seems that I am at a stagnant moment at this time.
Pros
Team Work, Transparancy
Cons
Inconsiderate to employees.
Very professional staff
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 16, 2017
EMU is a great place to work because it offers discounted tuition for staff who desire to continue their education at EMU while they work.I have enjoyed my work experience at EMU.
Pros
Discounted Tuition For Staff/Faculty
Cons
N/a
Great Job
Human Resources Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 9, 2017
I had a great time working for HR at EMU. All the staff there was really nice and welcoming. Because I was a student worker, they did a great job working around my class schedule.
research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 7, 2017
Eastern Michigan University Research lab.
Develop construction and Architecture drawings practice strategy manuals for users and students to understand the projects.Assist with faculty research projects; engage in literature searches.
great internship
Community Student Officer (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 5, 2017
i was able to work here as an internship. Im a police officer now in a major city and looking back its crazy how laid back this job was. Most of your day is taken up by patrolling and sitting around
Pros
easy
Cons
not very good pay
Great Experience for Those Interested in Sports Performance/Nutrition
Sports Nutrition Intern (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 23, 2017
My summer with EMU's Sport's Nutrition Department was a great experience that supplemented my education well. Some athletes are not the most fun to interact with, but that can just be the nature of some D1 college athletes.