Eastern Michigan University

Eastern Michigan University United States Employee Reviews

Useful for students to have some income while in college
Night Watch Person (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MiMay 1, 2015
Pros: Works with Class hours
Cons: Boring and repetitive
It's an easy job that's perfect for EMU students. It has reasonable hours that work with you class schedule. The supervisors and student workers all change up every year because it's a job you work while in college. It's all right on campus and nice because there's no commute. Co-workers vary a lot because for some of them it's their first job and they don't understand how to act professionally. Those workers tend to get fired.

The best part of the job is that when there's no one coming and going you're allowed to read or do homework. They even encourage it.
Taught social work classes
Adjunct Professor of Social Work (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIApril 23, 2015
Pros: close to home, flexible work schedule, students, peers
Cons: No tenured track positions possible; poor financial compensation
I enjoyed teaching students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. I enjoyed my relationships with many of my peers. The variety of classes I was able to teach was enjoyable.
Diversity and Opportunities
Social Work Intern/Student Assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIApril 3, 2015
Pros: multiple job positions, bonuses, time off with pay, room for growth
Cons: busy work environment, multiple task required, weekly meetings, short breaks
Eastern Michigan University provides an atmosphere of professionalism in a comfortable and safe work environment. This job opportunity is a realistic approach to a student and employment lifestyle. The resources and skills are obtainable through your work experience and if you are a student your education as well. There are many ways to connect not only with the culture at the university but within the local community as well, being the university is well acquainted in helping and participating with community events. I recommend employment here if you are open to a diverse way of life.
Great place to work...
•Assess Student’s Coursework
•Support Student’s through an Advisory Role
Productive and team work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Ypsilanti,MIMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Good food and conveyance facilities
Cons: Worker issues
I always had a new task and challenge everyday to overcome. I have learned to be good team worker. The management is good and supportive to entertain most problems that are faced by us. The colleagues are very proactive and supportive. The hardest part was to take decisions in quick time so as to minimize the production loss. The lunch part and tea part was most enjoyable as we all had conversations about the job and day status.
I love TRUEMU
Instructor/Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), YpsilantiMarch 20, 2015
Pros: inclusive culture
Cons: i'm a graduate assistant, not a full time instructor
I've loved my experience working and taking classes at EMU. I'll miss it tremendously.
I've had a lot of autonomy in developing and teaching my own course.
Good work environment, decent pay, tuition perks
computing lab assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMarch 18, 2015
Pros: tuition discount, newer buildings, positive environment
Cons: dangerous neighborhood and intensely political
Management was positive and encouraging. Pay was reasonable. Very liberal environment. If you don't agree with the politics, just keep your head down and your mouth shut and you will be okay. Campus is very pleasant but DO NOT go off campus. Ypsilanti is very dangerous.
Fun Place for the People I worked for
Assistant Volleyball Coach (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIMarch 2, 2015
Pros: traveling
Cons: traveling
I had an office of my own in the athletics department. My boss and co-worker were awesome to work for. I learned that colligate athletics is a cut throat environment and no job is secure even after a winning coach on and off the court has been successful for the past 20 years.
Great Place to work
Customer Service/Math Proctor (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MIFebruary 26, 2015
I love working for the school. Its a great place to work. Very flexible with school schedule and supervisors are great to work for.
Great
International student recruiting team (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MichiganJanuary 28, 2015
I like this job a lot. I had a very good supervisor. I had a lot of fun working with several international students from all over the world. As an International student that able to help other to come to the United States is a very good opportunity.
Nursing Faculty (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: hard to get fulltime
This University is open and honest about your employment. They promote from within and put open jobs to employees first.
Good workplace environment
Graduate Assistant at Bonisteel Lab (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MIJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: free tuition with a monthly paid.
Cons: short break for each day
- Co-workers and supervisors are kind and nice.
- It is a good learning experience assisting faculties and students, performing a monthly statement, and documenting inventories.
Nice place to work
Graduation Auditor (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIDecember 20, 2014
Pros: paycheck was good
Cons: how days off are calculated
I enjoyed working here. Couldn't get used to some of their policies, as I worked at UM for many years. My job was awesome.
Small school great for learning
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIDecember 14, 2014
Pros: good money and work
Cons: time consuming
I taught astronomy lab twice a week educating students.

I learned patience and understanding, but also how to be stern and respectful.

As an employee I worked under a full time professor and often had great chats.

The hardest part of the day was balancing work with school
Fun Work Place, Learned a Lot
Student Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MichiganDecember 8, 2014
Working at this job I was always learning new things. I worked in the Women's Resource Center and I always met new people and did different things as far as planning events. The staff here was wonderful and my boss was the greatest. She was really passionate about her work and you could see that in everything she did. This job also gave me plenty of opportunities to volunteer and give back and that's one of the things I liked most about this job.
easy going low production culture
Software Developer (Former Employee), ypsilanti, MIDecember 6, 2014
I always had to create work for myself. Nobody, including my manager really had any vision or direction for me or my team. There are lots of opportunities to tinker with things and learn new stuff but there is nothing to push you, no leadership, and no incentive to be good at your job.
Work Study Student
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MINovember 23, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, on-campus job
I worked here as a work study student. This job taught me how to manage school and work while earning wages.
good co-worker team to work with
Client/Server Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MINovember 11, 2014
Pros: able to stay current with skills
Cons: working with short staff user community
a typical day at work:
reasonable workload

what you learned:
work on/learned/developed PL/SQL, PERL scripts

management::
attentive to needs, projects

co-workers
reliable and dependable, good to work with

the hardest part of the job:
working with short staff user community

the most enjoyable part of the job:
working with co-workers/users
My time at Eastern Michigan University College of Education was a great learning experience.
Lecturer (Former Employee), Ypsilanti, MIOctober 9, 2014
Pros: it was a continual learning experience.
Cons: just when students and i got comfortable with each other and the course--the semester would end!!
My time at the College of Education at Eastern Michigan University was very rewarding. I had tremendous autonomy but could also call upon others for advice or direction if needed. It was difficult work to teach 5 courses each semester, but the students are great and learned a lot, as did I.
Bureaucratic nightmare
Sports Official (Current Employee), Ypsilanti, MISeptember 30, 2014
Poor communication, lots of drama, penny pinchers, horrible management.

1 2 3 4 5