Eastern New Mexico University Employee Reviews

Eastern New Mexico University
Director (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 25, 2016
A Typical Day at Work
This will depend on the capacity in which one works at the University.

What I Learned
I learned that not only does office and organizational culture matter, but also city and regional culture.

Leadership has had to manage a small, regional school in the aftermath of the Great Recession in a state (New Mexico) that has experienced a slower recovery that one could argue is not over and could worsen as a result of the state's hyper-dependence on oil & gas revenue.

Co-Workers
The University is a major employer in a small area; many of the employees are locals. That the University provides jobs is a strength, but the lack of diversity in perspectives makes change, especially when it is necessary, hard to achieve.

Hardest Part of Job
Learning to say "no" in an area where the need is legitimate was a necessary lesson to learn.

Most Enjoyable Part of Job
The opportunity for intrinsic growth and professional self-reflection stands out.
Pros
Vesting (5 years); Winter Vacation (1 Week)
Cons
Diversity (Lacking); Performance Appreciation
Fantastic work study program
Distance Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMFebruary 8, 2016
The work study program at ENMU is a great one, and they seem to help you do what you do best. There was not any area for expansion however.
Pros
Work around your schedule
Cons
No healthcare or benefits
Satisfaction depends on department.
Receptionist, assorted posittions (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMJuly 5, 2016
I found it mostly enjoyable, minimum wage was pretty awful though. Currently the university won't give you more than 20 hours a week, I used to be able to work up to 30. However that's only as student hire. My supervisors were great, even the ones I didn't see eye-to-eye with, and most are very understanding and communicative.
Helpful and fun work environment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 27, 2016
The work study job at Eastern New Mexico University consisted of picking up and maintaining filing of electronic lab equipment, and also helping answer various questions by students about class lectures, important class dates, and any difficult material the students don't understand.
Pros
Allowed time for study while in school
Cons
low pay
Challenging educational institution
Associate Professor of English (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMFebruary 5, 2016
My work at the university is in constant flux, but always includes an extended day of teaching, advising, administrative meetings, and research. I have learned to be flexible and move quickly from one type of activity to another. Our various committees and responsibilities require that we frequently "change channels" from informal to structured, from minor decision-making to major policy endorsement. Academic settings such as mine tend to feature engaging and interesting colleagues. However, there is often an overload of responsibilities which causes conflict and turnover.
Pros
Engaging colleagues; changing schedules.
Cons
Poor salaries, work overloads.
Great Place
Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMApril 10, 2016
This is a great place to work, the people are friendly and somewhat helpful. Room for advancement is limited but eventually possible.
a great experience for me
Student/Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 27, 2016
This was a great first job considering i got some free time to do my homework but i also got to learn a lot of things about being an athletic trainer
Pros
Got to do my homework
organized and functioning lab
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMApril 15, 2016
clean and organized work environment to provide students with equipment and help in achieving their assignments, completing their projects and finding answers on any questions on anything in their feild of study
Pros
work study
Cons
low pay
Productive work environment.
Hiring Manger (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMFebruary 18, 2016
This was a great place to work because it allowed me to gain experience in my field of expertise. The hours were decent and worked around my student schedule.
Fun working experience
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMFebruary 8, 2016
Great working environment and awesome co workers. A learning experience that will help my future. Great opportunity to learn more about the job responsibility and what to expect.
ENMU Campus Life Office is Outside the Box
ENMU Information Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMSeptember 29, 2015
I love working for the Department of Campus Life. As a Receptionist at the Campus Union Building Front Desk, we have a weekly meeting to discuss upcoming events. Afterwards, the Director of Campus Life will have a Leadership Development workshop to prepare all front desk employees for the business world, as well as bring Professional Development speakers every semester. Campus Life Office at ENMU is like no other on-campus job, we are outside of the box.
Pros
Leadership Development
Great Management!
Inventory Clerk - Work Study (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMDecember 4, 2015
Being a work study job, the managers are very understanding about school and school related needs and absences. The only downside to being a work study is you are looked at as inferior to other faculty members and the go to person for anything the need even outside the job description.
Fun Job with many friends
Volleyball Manager (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 28, 2015
I would help keep score for the volleyball team and I would record book for them since I was one of the only people who knew how to do book. I was able to get more understanding of the game and learn how to do book faster and more accurately. The management was great, I worked with the two coaches and all of the players, they were very friendly and helped me when needed. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with fast pace games without messing up. The most enjoyable part was making friends and being a part of volleyball without having to actually play the sport as well as supporting my school.
My Review of Working at ENMU
Information Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 22, 2015
Working for the Campus Life department at Eastern New Mexico University is far different from any other department. Our Director hosts leadership seminars and teaches us new concepts of leadership development at every weekly staff meeting and challenges us to practice those concepts every day in our life. My co-workers are the best. We challenge each other to work hard and to continue doing the right thing.
Pros
Flexible Hours and Work Environment
Cons
Higher education - excellent students, faculty and staff
Director Distance Ed, Prof of Information Systems (Current Employee) –  Portales, NM 88130October 19, 2015
Excellent work environment; superb students, faculty and staff. Friendly staff. All-around good culture. The most enjoyable part of the position is working with students, faculty and staff.
Typical Work Day
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New MexicoOctober 21, 2015
Great learning experience, to much red tape and politics. it was what i need at the time. Direct advisor play to many games and was not professional.
Rewarding and fun place to work
Presidents ambassador (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 27, 2014
A typical day at work included answering phones, scheduling campus tours, giving campus tours, helping future students with application process, and attending recruiting events. I learned a lot about working with "customers" as our customers were future students. I also learned an incredible amount about the University and how the systems works. The management was difficult at times but overall was good. My coworkers were incredible and the reason I enjoyed my job so much. The hardest part of my job was being the face of ENMU while it was also the most rewarding part as well. Being in the spot light a lot takes a lot of work but is very rewarding as well.
Productive place to work. Quality of Life very good.
Head Volleyball Coach (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 6, 2015
A typical day involved working with students, faculty and staff. I learned a lot about the area. Management was good overall. Co-workers were all very good and helpful. The hardest part of the job was living with lack of conveniences of a larger city. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with students.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Lack of conveniences
Eastern
ADMINISTRATIVE/TECHNICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMMay 28, 2015
I enjoyed my job at Eastern New Mexico University. I handled so many things and I was seldom bored. I learned a lot about the education system in New Mexico. Management was alright. I worked independently and didn't have many co-workers but got along well with the co-workers I did work with. The hours were great and flexible.
Great Place to Work
Strength and Conditioning for Eastern Athletics (Former Employee) –  Portales, NMSeptember 13, 2012
A typical day of work would consist of strength and conditioning with a variety of athletes. I learned that working with people you like makes any job that much better. What makes this place great to work is not the area its the people and relationships you will make. The hardest part of the job is the long hours, but the most enjoyable part of the job is watching your athletes excel.

4.3