Eastern State Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Actual unit nothing like explained in interview!
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VA 23188July 22, 2016
Left due to work culture and work life balance, which management did not care about. Always worked short staffed, which is common in nursing, but this bordered on unsafe due to the patient population. My co-workers were wonderful and I enjoyed working with them. I worked the overnight shift, which I enjoy, and was often the shift leader, but was often lacking in staff and time needed to complete my duties. Staying over was an everyday occurrence and began to interfere with things that I had planned for the mornings after my shift should have ended.
Pros
Reasonable insurance
Cons
Missed breaks, staying over after shifts, lack of staff for patient population
CNA Position
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 27, 2016
A typical day at work would be to come in to relieve the other CNA's , chart vitals, and anything we see in patient charts. change patients bedding, assist with hygiene and feeding. I learned how to work in a very fast pace environment, how to take vitals and document in patient charts. Some co-workers were great to get along with , others had the attitude that they didn't care about their job , they were just there to do it. The hardest part of the job was the training because no one communicated anything, they just expected you to know the routine. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was able to help patients and make them smile.
Pros
fast pace environment, loved working with patients
Cons
lack of training, lack of communication, some staff
Good working environment to gain skills
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 17, 2015
good entry level job. Not much room for advancement, nor in salary. Staff is under appreciated and underpaid. Also, very understaffed.
You will learn more and more about mental health
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 21, 2016
Since working here I've learn a lot about mental health. Understand of how to recognize the sign of patients when they cycle.
Typical day at work is taking patients to class and charting on them on how they day was, taking their meds. Every day u don't know what its going to be like but you make it the best you can. My coworkers work as a team, with this field we have to. The hardest part about my job is breaking up fights or a patients striking out on you just cause they see someone else or a voice is telling them. The most enjoyable part is seeing the patients have a good day. See them smiling and seeing them discharged and living a normal life like they want
The staff are mostly related
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 8, 2015
The staff are lack luster and are generally cousins as well the management. Nepotism is the way to go. The facility was under investigation for patients on the geriatric ward pod 4 having broken bones. This was top headlines before 2010. They have cameras to protect the patients. The staff are the ones who need medication. If your not in a click then you will be set up to be fired. Notice that people get fired in a mass exodus 40 at a time at intervals.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No teamwork not good orientation.
Supportive Environment
Office Assistant 3 (Current Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAFebruary 17, 2016
My day entails the overseeing of outgoing and incoming medical information regarding patients at the hospital. A lot of the information is court ordered for evaluations for patients to stand trial. With all medical information it is considered classified and is protected by HIPAA.
I work in a supportive environment where teamwork is a big deal, we support each other to accomplish the goals and mission of ESH.
Pros
Teamwork is awesome in our department.
Cons
Lack of advancement
Don't work there, nurse managers corrupt
nurse (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 28, 2015
The patients really get the bad end of the stick here. There is no programming, poor direct care assistants, lots of poor nurses and dangerous staffing.
The nurse management do nothing for or regarding nursing services which is promoted by the chief nurse executive..the place is full of decades long cronyism of do nothing, lazy folks who barely show up to take pay. If you believe in doing hard work, providing good care, you will not last here..they will make up a huge lie.
There are few great folks who try to work here but they don't last due to the horrendous work environment.
It is very, very dangerous.
The pay is poor.
Find yourself another opportunity, you deserve better..even if you must move.
The attorney general should be looking into this place.

This review doesn't deserve any positive stars.
Pros
Cons
Read review
Good benefits and pay, poor management and communication
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Medical Lake, WA 99022April 20, 2016
The pay is good, and the benefits are excellent, but the management is poor due to high turnover. They do not listen, are not sensitive to the needs of staff, and more or less create the high turnover by allowing nurses to languish without relief.
Pros
Good pay, excellent benefits
Cons
Very high acuity, ineffective management
Amazing work place
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 9, 2016
I never had a problem. Everyone was amazing as well as how the hospital was managed. Every time there was a challenge everyone would work together to find a solution.
Pros
The patients, the coworkers, the pay, the management
Enjoyable Work Experience
Mental Health Associate/Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 15, 2016
Workplace was very efficient and management was great. Looked forward to going into work and enjoyed working with the patients. Learned a lot about dealing with acute psychiatric disorders.
Beautiful grounds and area. Good state benefits
RN Shift Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 4, 2014
A large institution with many means and disciplines and aids to support patients in their efforts to recover. A typical day at work would involve receiving report, going onto the assigned unit, and beginning the work of shift charge nurse. The hardest part of the job was maintaining peace and calm; it was also the most rewarding part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see a smile on the face of a patient when you were able to encourage them with words such as "good job", "thank you for being so helpful". It was also encouraging to have relate to you that you have done a good job. I learned a great deal about crisis management and prevention. I was always impressed with the caliber of Nurse Managers and Administrators who were highly educated and able to keep a well-run nursing program.
Pros
beautiful setting and wonderful neighborhood eateries. great state benefits.
Cons
na
State Job benefits
Healthcare Compliance Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 2, 2016
Great benefits, most people who work here have been here for over 20 years. The hospital gets a bad wrap but if you came to work here you would be confused as to why. great people here and majority are here because they truly care about this patient population.
Overall Good Job
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 3, 2016
It is verywell structure. The management gets better every year. The patients could be difficult to handle. It is not as much help in the hospital
Productive place to work.
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 21, 2016
As an intern I observed all of the changes occurring at Eastern State Hospital. When I was there they were in the process of implementing their new EHR system. It seemed that everyone was accepting of the changes.
Pros
Cheap lunch
Ok place to work
POLICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 11, 2015
The usual State of Virginia benefits which could be improved. There is no room for advancement in certain departments.
Team work
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 11, 2016
Working as a team makes the day go by much faster. Amazing nursing team to work with and instantly they become your family.
good benefits, pay not great, scheduling not flexible
RN, (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 5, 2014
not much collaboration between staff nurses and management. Classes on transformational leadership would be helpful.
Pros
new facility, tuition reimbursement and other benefits
Cons
inflexible scheduling, pay is not competitive, straight pay on holidays, violent patient population
Productive and Learning experience
Operator (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 20, 2016
Everyone that was on sight was friendly and available to answer questions pertaining to the job. Everything they teach you will follow you for life.
Mht-1
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 17, 2015
I loved that I never knew what was going to happen each day. I feel like most of the managers (RN3s) I had looked at me as the person they could throw any emergent task at, and I enjoyed that role.
Pros
high energy environment
Cons
Injuries, Violence, Stress
Job has lots of benefits, enjoy working with psychiatric patients. Overall this is a good place to work
RN Manager/MDS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VASeptember 23, 2013
Good place to work. Management need to interact with each other a little more before making a lot of changes at one time.
Pros
good benefits