Eastern State Hospital Employee Reviews

MENTAL HOSPITAL
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJuly 6, 2015
Pros: 1.00 LUNCH
Cons: MENTAL PATIENTS
I DID A LOT OF VENIPUNTURES THERE. AND IT WAS A MENTAL HOSPITAL. LETS JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT. IT HAD WIRED DAYS. I DID COAG ON A FIBROMATOR WHICH I DIDN'T KNOW EXISTED ANYMORE. SO COMPENSENTS WERE RATHER SCAREY TO SAY THE LEAST.
The staff are mostly related
Nurse (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: No teamwork not good orientation.
The staff are lack luster and are generally cousins as well the management. Nepotism is the way to go. The facility was under investigation for patients on the geriatric ward pod 4 having broken bones. This was top headlines before 2010. They have cameras to protect the patients. The staff are the ones who need medication. If your not in a click then you will be set up to be fired. Notice that people get fired in a mass exodus 40 at a time at intervals.
Productive and a fun place to work
Recovery Support Specialist (Former Employee), Williamsburg VirginiaApril 21, 2015
Pros: cookouts with the patients
Cons: It was a manidated facility
Its is a very interesting place to work. You can learn a lot from the patients because they have all types of people there being treated for mental and behavior issues. You can also have fun and we get to do shopping and cookouts with the patients.
Ok place to work
POLICE OFFICER (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAApril 11, 2015
The usual State of Virginia benefits which could be improved. There is no room for advancement in certain departments.
good people
Psychiatric Aide I (Former Employee), vanita oklaMarch 31, 2015
as this was 35 + years ago. i work on third shift, most of the time with one other staff. we took care of the needs of average 45-60 patients. although most would be asleep untill morning when we would pass medications, and set up the ones for the next shift. my co-workers were helpful.
Energetic and interesting place to work.
DSAII (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAMarch 29, 2015
Very fast paced work environment, I enjoyed meeting different people and seeing patients recover from their illnesses. I work with great team of people who provide the maximum level of care to our patients
Where anything is possible
Unit Clerk (Current Employee), Lexington, KYMarch 11, 2015
I was able to truly help my clients on a day to day bases, and had a wonderful experience with Orange Grove, they really cared about the staff and the clients, and I'm proud to say that I have worked in the only Habilitation program in the US.
Can I give zero stars?
Rehabilitation Mental Health Associate (Former Employee), Lexington, KYMarch 6, 2015
Used to work here, and came in with a lot of high expectations. I worked in a different hospital before, and expected this to be a step up. It was definitely not. Everyone in my department suffered from extreme burn out. They could not hire employees fast enough to deal with the mass amount of people quitting. The hospital environment was extremely restricting of patients, and their freedoms were very limited. Patients can't walk around anywhere without a staff member beeping them through a doorway, which does nothing to promote self-actualization, confidence, and responsibility. I would never recommend sending a client here. Safety is my number one priority, and I can't believe this place ever passed any kind of inspection. Despite what I was told when I was hired, employees did not always have access to a radio or phone to call for help, which is the most basic of needs when working in a psychiatric hospital. I never ever felt safe there, and was required to work by myself with as many as 30 patients on a frequent basis.
learning experience in all units of ESH
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Medical Lake, WAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: good place to work good support and good training.
Cons: mental illness and exacerbation when the patient is taking their medications.
Heavy lifting in Gero-psych, Adult-psych was a learning experience. Forensic service unit was the most rewarding in that to be a part of a team that worked very hard to educate the patients on their diagnosis, medications, and triggers. Knowing each patient and being on the watch for triggers to surface. Management was supportive yet distant in day to day work. However if needed were available. Staff training and education was made available. Suggestions on specific training needs were always considered. Patients were provided a supervised well rounded day. The most difficult time is when a patient worked very hard and his illness would exacerbate and he would begin at step one.
Love the hours
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJanuary 8, 2015
Coworkers became more of family. Comfortable and exciting place to work
Beautiful grounds and area. Good state benefits
RN Shift Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VADecember 4, 2014
Pros: beautiful setting and wonderful neighborhood eateries. great state benefits.
Cons: na
A large institution with many means and disciplines and aids to support patients in their efforts to recover. A typical day at work would involve receiving report, going onto the assigned unit, and beginning the work of shift charge nurse. The hardest part of the job was maintaining peace and calm; it was also the most rewarding part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see a smile on the face of a patient when you were able to encourage them with words such as "good job", "thank you for being so helpful". It was also encouraging to have relate to you that you have done a good job. I learned a great deal about crisis management and prevention. I was always impressed with the caliber of Nurse Managers and Administrators who were highly educated and able to keep a well-run nursing program.
Staff gym
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: team work
Cons: travel distance
Busy was a typical day for me. I learned that managing your time is important and learning how to balance your work load. My co workers where team players. The hardest part was leaving due to my daughters illness. I enjoyed seeing my patients everyday; I looked forward to serving them.
good benefits, pay not great, scheduling not flexible
RN, (Former Employee), Lexington, KYSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: new facility, tuition reimbursement and other benefits
Cons: inflexible scheduling, pay is not competitive, straight pay on holidays, violent patient population
not much collaboration between staff nurses and management. Classes on transformational leadership would be helpful.
great benefits
LPN Unit Supervisor (Former Employee), Medical Lake, WAJuly 12, 2014
Pros: great experience in psychiatric care
Cons: too little staffing for the danger
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of the Patients. The hours were ok. The hardest part of the job was lack of staffing and the dangers of the job.
Busy and fun environment
Intern - Medical Records (Former Employee), Medical Lake, WAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: always busy, many different things to do
Cons: it was a really long drive from my home
Eastern State Hospital was a great place to do my internship, I learned so much being at this hospital. The hardest part of the job seemed like the census position. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment and my favorite part was the genealogy requests for people looking for their family members who had passed in the early 1800's.
Supportive Staff
MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), 1350 Bull Lea RoadJune 30, 2014
Support from staff helps the day to go on smoothly. It is a great reward to work hands-on with patients there.
productive and fun workplace
Direct Care Associate II/Mental Health Tech (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJune 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks
Very fast paced. Learned alot of patience. Management is fair. The rotateing shifts is the hardest part of the job. The summer activities done with the patients is the most fun.
the work environment was very well organized
Administrative Office Specialist II (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAMay 28, 2014
I was a phone dispatcher and front desk , its never a dull moment in this positon being that I worked hand in hand with the police dept as well as with the medical staff,
Enjoy assisting others
Psychiatric Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Lexington, KYMarch 31, 2014
Pros: assissing others
Cons: sensory overload at times from load mileu population
Please discuss during personal interview.
Work 7 am to 3:30pm, volunteer for overtime..
Always improving interpersonal communication skills.
Interact extremely well with management via professionally attitudes.
(Same with co workers). Work as a team member which is well established.
no comment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAMarch 26, 2014
Pros: valuable experience
Cons: too many to list
This job has many draw backs, however if you are willing to accept the requirements, it may benefit you.