Eastern State Hospital Employee Reviews

Most Discriminatory Place to Work
Direct Service Associate II (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 14, 2017
One of the worst employers. Senior Staff (RNs) discriminate and harass subordinates. There is no support of an EEO culture. If you are not black and willing to conform to unregulated guidelines - you will experience a hostile working environment. It's truly sad when your patients know more about regulation than the administration.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
RN staff, discrimination, hostility, harassment
Productive,good working environment
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 7, 2017
Housekeeping supervisor are not good to work with at all. Good benefits that's about it but the staff here is not good to work with they make you wanna quit.
Stressful environment, often rewarding work.
Psychiatric Security Attendant (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAJuly 5, 2017
New, hard working employees taken for granted. Employees who have been there for too long and are burnt out, no longer enjoying their work and making the environment more stressful and occasionally unpleasant.
Needs support and help in administration
Recovery Support Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 29, 2017
Loved caring for the residents however administration made it difficult to do your job. Administrations should be more concerned about the employees.
Pros
fullfilling / job security.
Cons
lack of continuity in management of overall hospital
Not the greatest place to work
Recreation Leader (CTRS) (Current Employee) –  Lexington KYJune 28, 2017
There are too many job responsibilities for not enough pay. Employees are stretched extremely thin until no one wants to try anymore. I loved that actual job itself. I loved working with the patients, but it's not enough to make me want to stay.
Cons
Negative work environment, No raises, and not much appreciation.
don't do it
Employee (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 12, 2017
not an easy place to work. residents are fine. staff has rampant favoritism and bullying of the employees. HR is corrupt and will not help you. If you choose to work here, keep your head down and your mouth closed.
benefits
Cons
management
Bullied by permanate staff
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAMay 26, 2017
If you are on-call you get treated poorly by the rest of staff. Lots of family members working at that hospital. To much gossiping not enough working.
Pros
holiday pay good benefits
Cons
Rude Perm staff
no active patients went of the unit for activities.
Recovery Support Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VA 23188May 19, 2017
Typical day residents attacking staff daily, short staffed no communication with staff.I leaned how to manage staff, charting and how to protect myself from out of control patients. Hardest part of the job was watching patients die. The most enjoyable was watching a patient come full circle, being released to go home.
Pros
free programs to attend college and being paid for it.
Cons
senior staff not welcoming to hire.
Benefits are great, environment is great, pay could be better
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 8, 2017
Benefits are great, environment is ok, but the pay should be more.Working with the patients can be very rewarding sometimes. However the pay should be a lot more.
Pros
Benefits, environment
Cons
pay, hours.
great experience
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 23, 2017
Great experience to learn all kinds of personalities and characteristics of patients. A way to learn how to manage with various types of people and their issues. I had great staff to work with as well that would help at any given time. Always something to learn from patients daily as well. Really enjoyed the job.
Pros
Great staffing
Cons
benefits and pay at the time
family oriented, great people to work with
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 19, 2017
not typically for everyone. must be able to understand mental health behavior and tolerate certain things. comes with a lot of patience and demands. one must be prepared for the possibity of getting hurt sometimes due to patient behaviors.
Pros
great benefits, tuition reinbursement
Cons
mentally and physically challenging at times
the hardest part of the job
RN II (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 18, 2017
The hardest part of the job was keeping my staff safe because of the clientele (criminally insane). When these residents came into our facility they were really mean and did not care who they hurt or what they had to do to get what they wanted. The staff was eager to learn ways to protect themselves and the inmates safe from harm.
Pros
taking care of the residents with a true mental illness
Cons
dealing with the negative attitudes of some of the inmates
ok
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAMarch 28, 2017
The employment here was pretty good until political reasons and lack of communication made working there too difficult. But I loved working with that population
Requires mandatory overtime and doesn't appreciate nursing
LPN (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 2, 2017
I loved my job until mandatory overtime became a daily occurrence. I worked night shift but pretty much every morning they were short LPNs so I would be stuck even though there would be 3-4 RNs coming into work, they just didn't feel that they should have to pass medications. You are not appreciated unless you have RN behind your name and there is no room for growth. Also, if you aren't an RN you might as well forget getting any type of help from the RN charge nurse on the unit. They won't help you get vitals or anything, you are on your own. Some mornings I would have 15 patients who needed vitals and would run back and forth getting vitals and giving meds. If you want to be in an environment where you're unappreciated and taken advantage of and have no home life or life outside of work, this is the place for you!
Benefits
Cons
Staffing shortage, Mandatory overtime
Complicated.
Psych. Security (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAFebruary 17, 2017
Monitoring psychiatric criminally insane patients that can be unpredictable and dangerous at times. It takes a strong minded person for this job. How ever there is a lot of compassion for these patients as well due to the various illnesses.
Pros
Helping others with mental illness.
Cons
High stress
Management could be more worker friendly
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 14, 2017
They need to hire more staff and treat the staff like they are wanted. Also more men are needed at the job for safety. I think night shift is the best shift to work in my opinion because some of the patients are sleeping.
An opportunity to care .
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 23, 2017
This job was unique. I mainly worked in the Geriatric area. I knew the patients and their needs. I was trained by a good nurse. I had many CNAs and an LPN and an 1 Rn of which the Rn and I alternated as when we were in charge.
I was totally responsible for patients and their well being. Med`s were gave in a timely manner and labs , wound care all reported when needed. Patients were documented daily to Medicare of Medicare.
Everyone was to float to a different area monthly or when census was down.
The hardest part of the job was when there was mental issues that could cause harm to the patient or nurse or when certain CNA`s disregarded rules.
Pros
benefits, ratio of nurses to patients good.
Cons
fear of being hurt.
Maybe things have changed
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 20, 2017
I worked there more than 10 years ago when it was still in the old building. The company was very slow to change and accepting new and more current ways of patient care (paper MAR, paper time sheets). Maybe things have changed since then.
Nice Management and Coworkers
Health Services Administration Intern (Former Employee) –  Medical Lake, WAJanuary 11, 2017
Very nice staff to work with and very approachable and caring management.They were very helpful and welcoming. Yes, I recommend it to others.
Working there was hard and not very enjoyable at all!
Skilled Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 22, 2016
A typical day was passing medication, during treatments ,encouraging patients to eat and get showered or take their medication. Also clean their room and get ready for their group section with their Psychologist and social worker
Pros
challeging
Cons
dangerous