Eastern State Hospital

Eastern State Hospital Employer Reviews

Love the hours
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJanuary 8, 2015
Coworkers became more of family. Comfortable and exciting place to work
Beautiful grounds and area. Good state benefits
RN Shift Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VADecember 4, 2014
Pros: beautiful setting and wonderful neighborhood eateries. great state benefits.
Cons: na
A large institution with many means and disciplines and aids to support patients in their efforts to recover. A typical day at work would involve receiving report, going onto the assigned unit, and beginning the work of shift charge nurse. The hardest part of the job was maintaining peace and calm; it was also the most rewarding part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see a smile on the face of a patient when you were able to encourage them with words such as "good job", "thank you for being so helpful". It was also encouraging to have relate to you that you have done a good job. I learned a great deal about crisis management and prevention. I was always impressed with the caliber of Nurse Managers and Administrators who were highly educated and able to keep a well-run nursing program.
Staff gym
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: team work
Cons: travel distance
Busy was a typical day for me. I learned that managing your time is important and learning how to balance your work load. My co workers where team players. The hardest part was leaving due to my daughters illness. I enjoyed seeing my patients everyday; I looked forward to serving them.
good benefits, pay not great, scheduling not flexible
RN, (Former Employee), Lexington, KYSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: new facility, tuition reimbursement and other benefits
Cons: inflexible scheduling, pay is not competitive, straight pay on holidays, violent patient population
not much collaboration between staff nurses and management. Classes on transformational leadership would be helpful.
great benefits
LPN Unit Supervisor (Former Employee), Medical Lake, WAJuly 12, 2014
Pros: great experience in psychiatric care
Cons: too little staffing for the danger
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of the Patients. The hours were ok. The hardest part of the job was lack of staffing and the dangers of the job.
Busy and fun environment
Intern - Medical Records (Former Employee), Medical Lake, WAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: always busy, many different things to do
Cons: it was a really long drive from my home
Eastern State Hospital was a great place to do my internship, I learned so much being at this hospital. The hardest part of the job seemed like the census position. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment and my favorite part was the genealogy requests for people looking for their family members who had passed in the early 1800's.
Supportive Staff
MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), 1350 Bull Lea RoadJune 30, 2014
Support from staff helps the day to go on smoothly. It is a great reward to work hands-on with patients there.
productive and fun workplace
Direct Care Associate II/Mental Health Tech (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJune 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks
Very fast paced. Learned alot of patience. Management is fair. The rotateing shifts is the hardest part of the job. The summer activities done with the patients is the most fun.
the work environment was very well organized
Administrative Office Specialist II (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAMay 28, 2014
I was a phone dispatcher and front desk , its never a dull moment in this positon being that I worked hand in hand with the police dept as well as with the medical staff,
Enjoy assisting others
Psychiatric Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Lexington, KYMarch 31, 2014
Pros: assissing others
Cons: sensory overload at times from load mileu population
Please discuss during personal interview.
Work 7 am to 3:30pm, volunteer for overtime..
Always improving interpersonal communication skills.
Interact extremely well with management via professionally attitudes.
(Same with co workers). Work as a team member which is well established.
no comment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAMarch 26, 2014
Pros: valuable experience
Cons: too many to list
This job has many draw backs, however if you are willing to accept the requirements, it may benefit you.
The best job I ever had
Mental Health Aide II (Former Employee), Vinita, OKMarch 22, 2014
Pros: state job benefits
Cons: mentalling tiring job at times
Great benefits rewarding field to work in. Coworkers very close bonds
work experience
CNA (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAMarch 20, 2014
Provides for activities of daily living by assisting with serving meals, feeding patients as necessary; ambulating, turning, and positioning patients; providing fresh water and nourishment between meals.
Provides adjunct care by administering enemas, douches, nonsterile dressings, surgical preps, ice packs, heat treatments, sitz and therapeutic baths; applying restraints.
Maintains patient stability by checking vital signs and weight; testing urine; recording intake and output information.
Very active, interesting and sometimes things can become somewhat challenging.
Recovery Support Specialist II (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAMarch 20, 2014
I enjoy working with individuals who suffer from mental disabilities; the peer support I provide is very rewarding!
Eastern State Hospital
Registered Nurse Manager I (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: medical, dental, vision, retirement, life insurance
Cons: staffing shortages, poor administation
Eastern State Hospital can be a wonderful place to work if you really, truly like caring for those with mental illness. However, critical staffing shortages have made the facility increasingly difficult to work and be effective.
Four Stars in overall patient care
Direct Service Associate (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: skills, and experience with patients
Cons: high risk helping mental patients, but rewarding
Excellent work place which provides the skills, and experience needed for a Hospital setting.
Exciting job
Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VANovember 19, 2013
Pros: the experience
Cons: mandatory overtime
Never a dull momement, coworkers were great, management was great. Could be stressful at times
unpredictable setting
RN (Former Employee), Lexington, KYNovember 6, 2013
There was no typical day at Eastern State Hospital. The patients are very unstable and unpredictable. I was employed there for 4 1/2 years. First as a Mental Health Associate and then as a RN when I obtained my degree. The biggest thing that I learned working there was how to work under stressful situations. I also deeply expanded my communication skills. The hardest part of the job was working with acutely mentally ill patients with very little staff. There were many nights when the hospital was 20 or more staff members short making it very hard to accomplish my duties and provide excellent patient care. The most enjoyable part was the occasions when I felt like I was actually making a difference for the patients or when one of your patients finally began to have a break through. Overall the management does the best they can but as mentioned above every situation is made that much more difficult by the low staffing numbers. I finally decided to end my time at Eastern State because I was placed in numerous situations in which I felt my safety was in jeopardy. I also have a strong desire to enhance my nursing career in a medical setting that Eastern State cannot offer to me.
Toxic
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Medical Lake, WANovember 5, 2013
Pros: decent wages, overtime available
Cons: early death
The place and the work will make you feel as though you have sold your soul.
After hour assistance
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee), Lexington, KYNovember 4, 2013
Pros: second shift
Cons: assist with admittance (for mental health assessment in hospital setting) as needed
Average 10-25 calls during the shift, networking with different agency to assist patient after hour.client. Management available for consultation, caring environment. Hardest part of job is making the right connection during an emergency. Caller appreciated that patience used to assist during the contact.

1 2 3