Eastern Suffolk Boces Employee Reviews

Challenging and rewarding
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 19, 2017
Eastern Suffolk BOCES staff are exceptionally helpful and caring. The staff is well diversified in helping and proceeding with a world of knowledge. Each day there is a different challenge and they are always their to help.
Little job perks
Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2017
BOCES is a good training ground for teachers but lacks upward mobility for many staff. Especially known for Special Education expertise, a teacher can get a varied an rich experience.
GREAT place to work!
CENTRAL OFFICE SUMMER SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYAugust 30, 2017
I built a career here, through opportunity and hard work which was supported and encouraged by my employers. It's a fast paced environment, serving 51 surrounding component school districts.
Flexible hours
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, NYAugust 23, 2017
I enjoy working at this job. I love the flexible hours and the opportunity to make my own schedule. It is a decent and rewarding job. The staff and managers are very kind and easy to talk to and ask questions to. They are very friendly as well. There can be a lot of paperwork if you don't keep up with it.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits
Individual Aide (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYJuly 26, 2017
Regular school hours and varying grade levels. All staff and supervisors are supportive. Every location is a different environment of kids. Enjoyable place to work.
Eastern Suffolk BOCES is a great place to work
Sr. Office Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, NYJuly 19, 2017
Typical work day 8am - 4pm. 1 hour lunch and two breaks.
Summer hours 8am - 3pm. 45 minute lunch and one break.

There are so many departments and so much to learn.

Management was consistent. Not always good and not always bad.

Workplace culture was mostly positive.

The hardest part of the job, was there were not enough staff members on the last team I was on and balancing being a district consultant and being at the home base was tough.

Working with all the clients was the best part of the job.
Pros
NY State Retirement Fund, job security.
Cons
Travel when consulting.
it was a great trade school
Custodain (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYJuly 12, 2017
my year at eastern sufflok boces was great as part of the course i got paid to work with the employees in the field i went there for the job ended at the end of the 06/07 school year
Pros
get paid during the corse
Amazing
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYApril 19, 2017
One of the best jobs I have ever had. Never a day that I don't want to go into work. The kids are amazing as well as the teachers and other aides in the schools
Pros
Great environment
Productive environment to work
Teacher Assistant Substitute (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYFebruary 28, 2017
I thought it was a positive experience. I enjoyed working in the classroom with the students and helping them with their school work. I also helped monitor their behavior.
Rewarding
Teacher/ Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, NYFebruary 27, 2017
Working with students with disabilities on a daily basis. Can be challenging at times but is definitely very rewarding!
Productive workplace
JOB COACH (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, NYJanuary 28, 2017
Great place to work and to learn about working with individuals with developmental disabilities. Staff and management work together in an encouraging and helpful manner.
An explanation of each job title I had while at BOCES.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 18, 2016
My job at Eastern Suffolk BOCES was an opening to a much bigger world in terms of the Educational field. As a job coach I was able to assist each student grow to become a more productive member of society. I would assist each student so that they could grow and advance in their job. I was also involved in the work environment, I spoke with supervisors and/or managers to see what they were looking for in new employees. I would then take that information and model that to each student making them ready for that particular job. My job was to accomplish the student's dream to become a member of the working class and to sustain that job as well. As a teacher assistant I was there for the teacher in any way they needed. I was part of an 8-1-1 classroom with a total of 10 kids. Our team worked well together, aways looking out for one another. I was given a small group of students to teach in Social Studies and Science. I was able to create some lesson and teach lessons that were given to me. We also had some students that had behavioral issues so I was trained in how to handle those situations as well. Every day was different and that's what I love about teaching. You can have a plan for the day but something may happen to interrupt that plan and you need to be able to be flexible, think on your feet, and that to me is incredible.
Pros
Working with different students, being creative, loving what you do every day
Cons
Low pay
Education, Assistant, Aid
Substitute Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYMarch 6, 2016
I work with children with mental disabilities and help improve their daily lives in a school setting. I assist them in reading, toiliting, eating, and other various tasks.
Pros
Flexible schedule, rewarding, friendly staff
Cons
stressful, demanding
Eastern Suffolk Boces is an extraordinary facility. I was proud and humble to be a part of their team!
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Bellport, NYFebruary 21, 2016
Wonderful place to work. Caring, compassionate co-workers. I enjoyed spending the day with teenagers with behavioral issues. Although the job could sometimes be emotionally draining, I got greater satisfaction from establishing relationships with the students and my co-workers.
Pros
school hours
A gigantic educational agency with diverse offerings.
Program Administrator/Regional Grant Funding (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYFebruary 1, 2016
This agency has broad regional responsibilities and has the option of offering quality training programs to school districts.

It is also an extremely political organization, gender imbalanced toward females.

The hardest part of the job was internal competition.

The best part of the job was when terrific programs were created for school districts which saved the taxpayer money and which were instrumental in enhancing staff skills.
Eastern Suffolk Boces
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYFebruary 1, 2016
I worked as a substitute aid and also an aid during summer school. I loved working summer school because the little kids made my job feel effortless.
Loved it.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYNovember 13, 2015
Loved working at eastern suffolk BOCES. Many schools to choose from. Loved the staff and students. Had to leave due to relocation.
Loved my job
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 19, 2015
I worked at ESB for just over 6 years. I truly loved working there for the most part. Working with the special Ed population, there were times that I was concerned about being injured and I had been. It's just something to be aware of. I was very proud to be able to positively affect my students.
The hours were great, the vacations time, summers off, snow days LOL and the benefits were good. I loved the staff as well. For me, it was a great job that I enjoyed.
The negatives are the salary..it's not great
Risk of injury
No real advancement opportunities unless you go to college and become a teacher and the chances of that are slim
There are no raises outside of the contract which for people like me who put their all into the job, is a let down.
Union dues are too high

** Note that the salary is based on a 30 hour week
Pros
Hours, benefits, vacation, people, kids
Cons
salary, no raises outside of the contract, risk possible injury
Great students, big classrooms
Auto Body Repair Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, NYSeptember 24, 2015
This is a teaching position for adult education, all teacher needs are met within a reasonable time frame. students are caring and willing to learn.
Laid back organization with numerous branches and departents
Teacher Integration Specialist (Trainer) (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYSeptember 17, 2015
Organization deeply embedded into school districts on Eastern Long Island. Involved with and provides numerous services such as professional development for school personnel, alternate/ intensive schooling for students with special needs, and vocational training for students.