Eastern Suffolk Boces Employee Reviews

An explanation of each job title I had while at BOCES.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 18, 2016
My job at Eastern Suffolk BOCES was an opening to a much bigger world in terms of the Educational field. As a job coach I was able to assist each student grow to become a more productive member of society. I would assist each student so that they could grow and advance in their job. I was also involved in the work environment, I spoke with supervisors and/or managers to see what they were looking for in new employees. I would then take that information and model that to each student making them ready for that particular job. My job was to accomplish the student's dream to become a member of the working class and to sustain that job as well. As a teacher assistant I was there for the teacher in any way they needed. I was part of an 8-1-1 classroom with a total of 10 kids. Our team worked well together, aways looking out for one another. I was given a small group of students to teach in Social Studies and Science. I was able to create some lesson and teach lessons that were given to me. We also had some students that had behavioral issues so I was trained in how to handle those situations as well. Every day was different and that's what I love about teaching. You can have a plan for the day but something may happen to interrupt that plan and you need to be able to be flexible, think on your feet, and that to me is incredible.
Pros
Working with different students, being creative, loving what you do every day
Cons
Low pay
Education, Assistant, Aid
Substitute Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYMarch 6, 2016
I work with children with mental disabilities and help improve their daily lives in a school setting. I assist them in reading, toiliting, eating, and other various tasks.
Pros
Flexible schedule, rewarding, friendly staff
Cons
stressful, demanding
Eastern Suffolk Boces is an extraordinary facility. I was proud and humble to be a part of their team!
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Bellport, NYFebruary 21, 2016
Wonderful place to work. Caring, compassionate co-workers. I enjoyed spending the day with teenagers with behavioral issues. Although the job could sometimes be emotionally draining, I got greater satisfaction from establishing relationships with the students and my co-workers.
Pros
school hours
A gigantic educational agency with diverse offerings.
Program Administrator/Regional Grant Funding (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYFebruary 1, 2016
This agency has broad regional responsibilities and has the option of offering quality training programs to school districts.

It is also an extremely political organization, gender imbalanced toward females.

The hardest part of the job was internal competition.

The best part of the job was when terrific programs were created for school districts which saved the taxpayer money and which were instrumental in enhancing staff skills.
Eastern Suffolk Boces
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYFebruary 1, 2016
I worked as a substitute aid and also an aid during summer school. I loved working summer school because the little kids made my job feel effortless.
Loved it.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYNovember 13, 2015
Loved working at eastern suffolk BOCES. Many schools to choose from. Loved the staff and students. Had to leave due to relocation.
Loved my job
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYOctober 19, 2015
I worked at ESB for just over 6 years. I truly loved working there for the most part. Working with the special Ed population, there were times that I was concerned about being injured and I had been. It's just something to be aware of. I was very proud to be able to positively affect my students.
The hours were great, the vacations time, summers off, snow days LOL and the benefits were good. I loved the staff as well. For me, it was a great job that I enjoyed.
The negatives are the salary..it's not great
Risk of injury
No real advancement opportunities unless you go to college and become a teacher and the chances of that are slim
There are no raises outside of the contract which for people like me who put their all into the job, is a let down.
Union dues are too high

** Note that the salary is based on a 30 hour week
Pros
Hours, benefits, vacation, people, kids
Cons
salary, no raises outside of the contract, risk possible injury
Great students, big classrooms
Auto Body Repair Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, NYSeptember 24, 2015
This is a teaching position for adult education, all teacher needs are met within a reasonable time frame. students are caring and willing to learn.
Laid back organization with numerous branches and departents
Teacher Integration Specialist (Trainer) (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYSeptember 17, 2015
Organization deeply embedded into school districts on Eastern Long Island. Involved with and provides numerous services such as professional development for school personnel, alternate/ intensive schooling for students with special needs, and vocational training for students.
Rewarding Job, Great Benefits, Friendly People
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYAugust 30, 2015
Because of my move out of state, it was with great regret that I had to leave my job at Boces. The environment was friendly. I got along well with my co-workers. The medical and dental benefits were good. I also appreciated working a school calendar which gave me flexibility to be with my daughter and offered me time to pursue my own business ventures.
The hardest part- being that my job duties were mainly working one on one with a special needs (mostly Autistic) student, they could become quite aggressive at times. Injury was a possibility every day depending on the child's behaviors. However, the rewards of working with that population were incredible.
The hourly salary was good although being only a 30 hour work week and paying union dues, it dwindled down quite a bit.
Pros
Short work day, Very rewarding, Great co-workers, Good Benefits
Cons
No advancement opprotunites or merit raises. Risk of possible injury.
Excellent agency
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, NYJuly 5, 2015
I worked there for 15 years. The environment was always friendly although very fast paced. They regarded their employees as family. If not for relocating to Florida I probably would have stayed forever.
Pros
Friendly and helpful staff.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Productive, humble and always willing to help.
Bilingual Family Educator (Former Employee) –  Central Islip, NYJune 3, 2015
Great environment to work at. Helped a lot of students achieve their goals.Served to give students confidence and motivation at their workplace. helped them build different skill sets and expand their horizons.
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  WHB, NYMay 9, 2015
Good work-life balance. Nice co-workers. Good work hours. Very low pay. Hard to advance. Learn to be patient. Good experience.
Pros
good work hours
Cons
very low pay
my job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, Centereach and other placesApril 26, 2015
If I did not enjoy teaching - simply put I would not do it.... I've been with ESBOCES for several years now and I find every year the students become more challenging as they would rather spend time on their IPADS or phones then doing actual work so for me I become more creative and ask the tech be put aside..
Pros
the rewards are when my students succeed and I see the joy on their faces
Cons
when the fail..
Working at Eastern Suffolk BOCES is a pleasure in regards to working with special needs children on a daily basis.
Special Education Aide (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYApril 19, 2015
Working at Eastern Suffolk BOCES is a pleasure in regards to working with special needs children. The programs that Eastern Suffolk BOCES provide for the children are designed to build the children's daily life routines and teach the children appropriate behaviors. I work in a classroom environment with a team of individuals that provide the support for these children daily.
Pros
To help special needs children on a daily basis
Cons
ten-month program a year
Bilingual Tutor
Bilingual Tutor (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYFebruary 22, 2015
great mission! i enjoyed the environment, I appreciate all experience and knowledge,I gained. I enjoyed working with children and families. my supervisor and co-workers were very supportive.
BOCES Premm Learning Center is an enjoyable place to work.
Substitute Para Educator Special Ed Aide (Current Employee) –  Patchogue, NYDecember 5, 2014
I work with young children 5 yrs -18 yrs. who are physically and mentally challenged. In the past five years, I have a lot more respect for the teachers of special education. I am a patient, loving, compassionate and caring individual that has learned to work as a team and rely on each other for mental and physical support. Each child brings you joy in a different ways whether it be their achievements of goals or to get up out of a wheelchair and starting walking. Their successes are yours to share. When they move up to another school you see what their parents see that you were a part of helping them get there.

The hardest part of this job is the physical demands to keeping a child safe from themselves and others. It's difficult as a mother to know some children may never talk, walk, see or hear. I seem to know how to communicate with love and try to get them excited to be at school. They feel that and sometimes that's all they want is to know someone loves them.
Pros
Dances, parties, school gatherings, like family, I could take off when needed for my family no questions asked, Flexible schedules as a sub.
Cons
Not many openings for full time employment
good
Welding and Metal Fabrication Student (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYAugust 12, 2014
good,and had lots of good memory's and wish i could go back and be a teacher.
Pros
fun
Cons
to short
Eastern Suffolk BOCES
Level II Clinical Experience (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYJuly 28, 2014
A great learning experience for a Level II occupational therapy student.
employment is Productive and offers job security
School Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYJuly 4, 2014
Eastern Suffolk BOCES is a school for the Intellectually Disabled population of children, adolescents and teens. BOCES offers a wide range of programs and offers stability and growth for the employee.
Pros
full range of health benefits for full time employees
Cons
hard to reach potential

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Suffolk Boces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4