Eastern Virginia Medical School Employee Reviews in United States

Diverse patient population with excellent learning opportunities
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 17, 2016
EVMS has a large popultation with diverse clinical issues which makes clinical care a rewarding challenge.

However, the administration is reactive instead of being proactive and lacks vision to improve a practice with growing popultation of high risk patients
Pros
No nights, weekends, call as done by residents
Cons
poor administrative organization and lack support
Fun place to work
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 9, 2016
This is a great company to work for. They offer training regarding patient care, computer update training and other training classes that has helped me in so many different areas. I enjoy everyday at EVMS.
Pros
Certificates given for appreciation and patient care
Cons
short-staffed because if the turnover rate and budget
Well compensated, poor work environment
Sonographer II/ Fetal echocardiographer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 9, 2016
The salary was appropriate for the position. The hours were unacceptable with requirements of regularly working through lunch and staying 30 - 90 minutes beyond a normally scheduled work day.
Pros
decent compensation
Cons
Poor work environment
Wonderful, hardworking physicians/micromanagers w/o management skills & professionalism
Staff (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 1, 2016
There is a huge disconnect between managers, general staff, clinical staff & physicians in clinical offices. Sad morale. Exorbitant employee turnover.
Pros
Physicians
Cons
Lack of respect, pay
Very low moral through out office
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 15, 2016
Lots of aging accounts with continuous denials. Not be able to communicate certain trends to office staff such as authorizations not being obtained for treatment/services.
Excellent Company
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 8, 2015
Excellent company that provides an opportunity for growth and good benefits. Individual reviews of this company may vary depending upon the department one is employed in, as each department offers a different experience. Opportunities range from academic to patient care and research.
Pros
Opportunity for growth and benefits
Great Work environment
Research Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 29, 2015
I believe that EVMS fosters a work environment that enables you to learn new skills and grow. The opportunity for advancement is present with the proper skills and qualifications.
Productive, innovative and intelligent workforce
Teaching Assistant, Global Health (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 11, 2015
Great people to work with, high level of competency of staff (but not human resources department). Typical day at work is fast paced and interesting.
Pros
exciting, friendly staff and great neighborhood around the school
Cons
incompetent hr department
very stressful at times. Management was not always helpful
Administrative Assistant to Department Chair (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2014
Typical day in a pediatric practice that focused on children with special needs and rehabilitation issues. Hardest part of the job was that management was somewhat unhelpful and uncooperative.
Pros
working with the children and their families.
Cons
low pay, sometimes tense work environment
Phlebotomist
Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 25, 2015
I loved working at EVMS, the staff was always so welcoming and nice. My passion has always been in healthcare. Time to get back to my passion.
Great intership in Marketing and Communications.
Marketing & Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VaSeptember 26, 2013
While an intern in Marketing and Communications I was able to hone my skills as a videographer and in PR while also learning a trade in HTML, CSS and JavaScript Web coding.

I loved the people I worked with and genuinely enjoyed coming to work everyday. I also got the opportunity to interview some pivotal figures in the Hampton Roads community.
Pros
the work environment.
Cons
the level of my daily tasks. as an intern, i had a part of every division within marketing.
Family-like atmosphere
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 24, 2012
EVMS is a very busy medical school. Ive learned alot about Maternal Fetal Medicine over the past 12 years. I really enjoy my co-worker and management they are like family. The hardest part of the job is to see patients that are emotional due to the health and well being of their fetus. I really love the job and I would work there for 30 mores.
Pros
if seen by a evms md you dont have to pay a co-pay, great benefits
Cons
33 cents a year for raises.
Extremely high volume OB/GYN office
Genetics Scheduler/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 3, 2013
At EVMS you workday is non-stop, but it was a great place where I learned many things about ultrasounds, genetic conditions and genetic testing. I wasn't too impressed with lower management and their lack of concern with their staff. Upper management was great in listening to concerns and addressing them accordingly. The co-workers were great for the most part, but their is always one or two that try to make it miserable for everybody else. The hardest part of the job was keeping up in the high-volume office and lack of help when co-workers were out of the office and one person was expected to do the job of three. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients, sonographers and genetic counselors.
Pros
great co-workers, benefits
Cons
pay, extremely high volume office, no breaks
Very stressful, short staffed, childish working conditions SURGERY DEPT
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 18, 2013
From the minute you clock in until you leave - you will be hearing phones ringing constantly and MUST answer each and every call possible... On top of being expected to do your main job duties PERFECTLY. Being short staffed every day adds to your plate weather you like it or not. Job duties MUST be done with NO mistakes or you get TWO emails AND a call to the supervisors office for "counseling" and/or a write up. Nine different surgeons with very different and particular scheduling rules that change all the time. High attendance issues all the time. All the above rules only pertain to certain ones:/ Patients call and complain all the time for not getting retuned calls = more phone calls, more unanswered calls. Job security is unpredictable there.
Pros
generous vacation and sick time
Cons
short staffed, unhappy environment, too much criticism, not enough praise
Horrible place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Norfolk VaOctober 20, 2013
Very poor pay, no pay raise. Workers are not appreciated or respected. Doctors take elaborate trips while staff gets no pay increases. No raises yet they charge staff to pay to park in the garages that they own.
Cons
no raises, low pay, pay for parking, no praise, no respect
Nice environment to work in
Technical Services Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 19, 2013
Great place to work, decent pay but not really in line with the area cost of living. If my spouse hadnt had a full time job with really good benefits, we would have been in trouble.
Pros
good leadership
Cons
pay is a little on the low side
Upcoming Leader in Academic Research
Research Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 4, 2012
EVMS is a good academic institution to work at. I happened to work for a PI that was less than reasonable. The institution is great, but there are not too many individuals that have funding so job security is not always certain.
Beautiful enviroment, hard working co-workers..
Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 26, 2012
This job was a little over-whelming at times, but the pay was excellent and the overall job was rewarding.
Pros
i enjoyed having my own office.
Cons
my job was strenous because of the work that had to be done by certain deadlines.
Interesting place to work and I was able to move into different areas and learn new skills.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 19, 2014
Interesting place to work. A lot of people contact which enjoyed.
Ok job
Development Asst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 24, 2012
I worked here a long time ago. While I was there, it was very beuarocratic. Soon after getting hire, they initiated a hiring/pay freeze that lasted the remaining 4 years I was there.
Pros
awesome co-workers
Cons
too much politicking for my enjoyment