Eastern Virginia Medical School Employee Reviews in United States

EVMS is not the place you want to work
Physician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 9, 2016
EVMS I thought initially was a good place to work - but within 6 months of working there I realized why I was hired and no one else had taken the job offer. The pay is LESS than what others make - this goes at all levels from the secretaries to the doctors, and also they keep giving you more work, less free time, and they expect you to work more for less. There no are pay increases whatsoever, so you essentially work for the same salary from when you were first hired.
You also work under FEAR and I mean FEAR as you are constantly being threatened with being let go or even reported to the medical board even if you did nothing wrong. I really tried to make this job work, and I really enjoyed the work, but my bosses were disinterested, Fear mongors, hatred filled and all they really cared about was how many foreigners they can attract to a State residency program - and I guess I wanted to see more US citizens in the program.
In addition, I brought in money to a department that was losing money, and I trained residents way beyond what was expected, Still the department did not care - they wanted to graduate a mediocre resident, not one that excels. I expected perfection, but EVMS does not expect perfection, at least in the department I was working.
They were more interested in bringing in GRANTS that really did not help anyone, except the chairman's pocketbook - and I really am telling the truth here.
I can tell you that the General Surgery department is OUTSTANDING, as are other departments (other great departments are Urology, Nephrology, Radiation Oncology, Trauma,
  more... and ER), but not the one I work in. I quit after just working there 1 1/2 years, moved on, and had 11 job offers within 2 weeks of quitting - EVMS - you are a bunch of FOOLS.  less
Pros
LOVED working with many docs outside of my department -
Cons
The department I worked in is NOT a nice place to work - they could not keep people happy, the chairman's leadership is POOR, and he has been there too long and should have been let go long ago
Senior Accountant/Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 27, 2016
Overall good place to work. Smaller medical school so only limited room for advancement. Benefits make up for the salary. Campus is kept clean. Parking lot available so you don't need to park on street.
front desk / back office life of a MA
Medical Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 23, 2016
a typical day is busy
I have learned that my coworkers are not my friends
management is awful
coworkers are snakes
hardest part of my job is speaking loudly
I enjoy helping others
Pros
paid holidays, and great health care benefits
Cons
office does not close for lunch
Poor Pay, Poor management
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 29, 2016
EVMS put a poor taste in my mouth for the entire medical field. Other states are paying almost $20/hour for the exact same position and to work so hard and have such huge responsibilities and to be paid so little that one can't even live on it makes life difficult. And I see that even though I worked there over 10 years ago, they aren't paying a dime more than I made then. Having to come in late or leave early for an appointment or sick child was difficult and you were treated as an inconvenience and were written up and reprimanded and could be fired if the manager felt it was "unexcused." And most of these things I just witnessed as I don't have children myself.
My manager only held certain people accountable to rules. Her favorites were invincible and they knew it. Using their position to get people fired. I felt lucky to have made it out of there. The politics and back-stabbing were part of daily life there.
It was admittedly one of the most interesting jobs I ever had. Working in the surgery department side by side with the doctors, actively "nursing" and working on patients, treating wounds was the best part of the job. I learned so much and most of the doctors were fantastic to work for and loved to teach.
Pros
Ability to learn a lot about nursing and medical care/first aid.
Cons
Management, pay, work hours, politics.
Fun place to work
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 9, 2016
This is a great company to work for. They offer training regarding patient care, computer update training and other training classes that has helped me in so many different areas. I enjoy everyday at EVMS.
Pros
Certificates given for appreciation and patient care
Cons
short-staffed because if the turnover rate and budget
Wonderful, hardworking physicians/micromanagers w/o management skills & professionalism
Staff (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 1, 2016
There is a huge disconnect between managers, general staff, clinical staff & physicians in clinical offices. Sad morale. Exorbitant employee turnover.
Pros
Physicians
Cons
Lack of respect, pay
Very low moral through out office
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 15, 2016
Lots of aging accounts with continuous denials. Not be able to communicate certain trends to office staff such as authorizations not being obtained for treatment/services.
Diverse patient population with excellent learning opportunities
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 17, 2016
EVMS has a large popultation with diverse clinical issues which makes clinical care a rewarding challenge.

However, the administration is reactive instead of being proactive and lacks vision to improve a practice with growing popultation of high risk patients
Pros
No nights, weekends, call as done by residents
Cons
poor administrative organization and lack support
Well compensated, poor work environment
Sonographer II/ Fetal echocardiographer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 9, 2016
The salary was appropriate for the position. The hours were unacceptable with requirements of regularly working through lunch and staying 30 - 90 minutes beyond a normally scheduled work day.
Pros
decent compensation
Cons
Poor work environment
Excellent Company
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 8, 2015
Excellent company that provides an opportunity for growth and good benefits. Individual reviews of this company may vary depending upon the department one is employed in, as each department offers a different experience. Opportunities range from academic to patient care and research.
Pros
Opportunity for growth and benefits
Great Work environment
Research Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 29, 2015
I believe that EVMS fosters a work environment that enables you to learn new skills and grow. The opportunity for advancement is present with the proper skills and qualifications.
Phlebotomist
Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 25, 2015
I loved working at EVMS, the staff was always so welcoming and nice. My passion has always been in healthcare. Time to get back to my passion.
An excellent environment in which to grow personally and to learn. Dynamic. Co-workers with outstanding work ethics & humanistic qualities.
Coordinator, Ghent Fam Med Residency Program (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 16, 2015
The Department of Family and Community Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School has fantastic leadership. Our chair of many years is a devoted, highly capable and experienced educator and leader. She leads by example, and attracts like faculty. The residents, who are with us for three years before graduating, are very interesting, smart, hardworking individuals who bring a world of experiences with them, enriching the environment to a very high degree. You learn medicine, you learn about the world, you learn humanistic qualities which are taught by example.

A typical day is spent writing rotation schedules, call schedules, interacting with internal and community faculty, trouble-shooting for residents who have difficulties navigating the road. Or, it could be spent setting up and tracking evaluations, writing letters of reference, working on recruitment. It can be spent setting up clinical rotations with community faculty and following up with legal letters of agreement, curricular goals, etc. It could be spent working with professional organizations such as the Virginia Academy of Family Physicians, the Virginia Board of Medicine, etc. There really isn't a typical day - there are just so many facets to the job.

The most difficult part of the job is writing the accreditation reports which are annual, and highly detailed. They require a great deal of diverse data that must be procured from many different sources, including accreditation surveys, internal surveys, billing, residents' and faculty's self-reporting of scholarly activities, duty hours, etc. There is a lot of
  more... "chasing" involved in securing all of this data. Often policies need to be updated or otherwise tweaked. The list goes on and on.  less
Pros
working with intelligent, motivated, capable, generous and kind people.
Cons
the occasional co-worker who is not motivated nor trained for education and is not a team player, small "con" is having to pay for parking
Productive, innovative and intelligent workforce
Teaching Assistant, Global Health (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 11, 2015
Great people to work with, high level of competency of staff (but not human resources department). Typical day at work is fast paced and interesting.
Pros
exciting, friendly staff and great neighborhood around the school
Cons
incompetent hr department
Interesting place to work and I was able to move into different areas and learn new skills.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 19, 2014
Interesting place to work. A lot of people contact which enjoyed.
very stressful at times. Management was not always helpful
Administrative Assistant to Department Chair (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2014
Typical day in a pediatric practice that focused on children with special needs and rehabilitation issues. Hardest part of the job was that management was somewhat unhelpful and uncooperative.
Pros
working with the children and their families.
Cons
low pay, sometimes tense work environment
Good opportunities
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 26, 2014
This is a teaching hospital working with various programs.
You can learn a lot from various areas
Pros
pleasant working enviorment
Cons
short breaks, very strict
Rewarding Experience
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 10, 2013
Planning, organization, direction and coordination of clinical practice operations and business activities of the department. Development of department budgets, tracking revenues and expenditures, preparing monthly reports for faculty and staff, perform cost analysis of patient care services, interaction with EVMS Health Services financial administration. Recruitment, selection, assignment and training of support staff, and all matters relating to employee evaluations, transfers, promotions, discipline, terminations and resignations.

Recent projects include a collaborative arrangement between Bon Secours DePaul Hospital and EVMS Department of Otolaryngology to bring the services of General Otolaryngology to the DePaul campus, with a new physician and a brand new office. Responsibilities included working closely with the Project Manager, contractor, Director of Operations and Director of Clinical Services, Director of Marketing and many other support staff to establish and set up the new practice.
Pros
flexibility with schedule when needed
Nice environment to work in
Technical Services Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 19, 2013
Great place to work, decent pay but not really in line with the area cost of living. If my spouse hadnt had a full time job with really good benefits, we would have been in trouble.
Pros
good leadership
Cons
pay is a little on the low side
It is a good place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk,VAOctober 23, 2013
A day at work is clerical duties and completing projects and assignments.

2.9