Eastern Virginia Medical School Employee Reviews

Diverse staff and patients with professional compassionate quality outcomes
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 1, 2017
A typical day consist of multi-tasking various task, delegating an managing for positive patient outcomes, applying safety techniques as I provide safe cost effective care and strategies with including the patient in many of the decision making and their family members.
Maintaining a teamwork environment.
The culture was positive and pleasant for both providers and staff with respect and enjoyment, even though very busy.
Each person was thoughtful with helping with the patient flow.
No one took lunch breaks, etc. until the patients were taken care of.
Great respect for providers, and providers appreciated the staff..
Pros
clean work environment and positive staff members
Cons
lack of supplies and limited space
Okay if you're one of the "good ole boys"
Environmental Health and Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 26, 2017
You will quickly fit into your role here, but won't feel there are any opportunities for advancement available. The work was mundane and redundant, but you are compensated for a decent to hard days pay. I had very little to no issues with staff and colleagues also some people are either very knowledgeable where others have no knowledge of their roles AT ALL. The cultural balance on campus leans very far toward white colonialism and has an almost confederate entitlement vibe. If you are a minority, you will almost not feel welcome and most are only there in a domestic or maintenance capacity--sadly. The medical students won't respect you and will not notice your existence and are borderline rude to staff. The amenities for staff on campus are minimal, but the campus is nice.
Pros
Good work/life balance and decent staff
Cons
Pay could be better and cultural awareness needs to improve!
Great Place To Work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 16, 2017
Great place to work and a very vital part of the community. Great reputation, great doctors, and overall great environment. No real negatives to the organization.
Excellent place to train for fellowship
Fellow in Endocrinology (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 13, 2017
Valuable experience with exposure to a wide variety of Endocrine disorders. Ample experience with thyroid ultrasound/biopsy and insulin pump mgmt. Education was excellent and work:life balance was great.
Very negative environment.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 13, 2017
I accepted a position there, against my better judgement. The management gets their positions by being promoted to the level of their incompetence. They hand you a binder with what they call “SOPs”, yet you are never actually trained for the position. They constantly threaten you, use fear, demean you in front of coworkers and worse, patients. The culture is very negative and HR is not supportive of the staff. I would not recommend this health system to potential employees or patients.
Cons
Low pay, no training, negative environment, disorganized, bad culture, worries about appearance more than patients/staff
Productive and Focused Environment
Property Manager I (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 26, 2017
Overall this was a great place to work. Staff was very helpful and informative when I came aboard. I enjoyed the diversity and culture diversity at this school.
Evms
Director of Clinical Operations (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 20, 2017
EVMS offers great benefits to include healthcare (vision and dental) as well as discounts when using EVMS providers. It's time off (vacation and sick leave) is extremely competitive. It also offers competitive salaries.
Eastern Virginia Medical
Clerical Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 30, 2017
Working at Eastern Virginia Medical School was a great opportunity. The staff was very nice and the benefits were great. I definitely would recommend a family/friend to work for EVMS.
Find something else
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 26, 2017
No growth. A lot of work. No support. Pay is lower than other medical groups, as you can see in description. For collecting over 4.6 mil they give you two slices of pizza. Please move to next job opening.
Pros
Security
Cons
Everything in body
Review
Medical Records Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2017
There isn't much room for advance. Some of the processes is outdated. Some of the office equipment used should be updated. Company does feed you and provide more training than other departments.
Nurse
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 11, 2017
Loved the work and the hours were great. Only downside is the pay is a little lower than you would get else where for the same jobs but the benefits make up for it.
Professional and scientific environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral SciencesJuly 10, 2017
The work culture and employees at EVMS are top notch and it was a wonderful place to work while a graduate student due to the emphasis on learning and professional development.
productive healthy work place
Male Urogenital Teaching Associate (MUTA (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 6, 2017
Great place to work and grow in the area of healthcare, great teaching center that provides staff with the tool to teach others the effective procedures within simulation
Pros
balance work life
Cons
Na
I love working here
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 5, 2017
I love working here. My department is very flexible and everyone is really nice. There is a great work/life balance. I have not had any issues working here.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
pay
hard to learn environment
Medical Resident (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 30, 2017
tense atmosphere to work due to the environment created by management. if you have a cut throat attitude to work, you might thrive under this kind of management.
Was not a good place to work as an RMA
RMA (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 15, 2017
They give you double, triple workload.. they have one person doing the job of what would consist of three people. The pay was terrible constantly threatening to let you go, the other staff they're always talking behind your back and going to the supervisors for every petty little thing.. supervisor talks down to you makes you feel so small. I thought I would love working There, I was thinking of all of what I will be learning, cross training ect... they definitely have their favorites there!!! Needless to say i was excited when I left. I was so relieved to be gone!! 6 months was long enough for me. anybody looking to work for EVMS the department of surgery side I would think twice. Good luck!!!!
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
The workload, the pay, the double-crossing, the backstabbing and much more!!!
Past employee / worst place to work / dont do it to yourself
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 21, 2017
The billing office is the worst ever (monarch way) the director / manager / supervisor are all evil. They pay is low and they dont care about the employees
great place
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 7, 2017
I work as a tutor, part-time teaching PA students. I have learned alot from re-visiting the material. I get to work with students which is great and enjoyable.
EVMS Review
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 6, 2017
Eastern Virginia Medical School is a great place to work. Plenty of opportunities internally to apply for different positions. Management is very considerate of your needs.
I love EPT
Cumminity Professor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 20, 2017
Such a great group of doctors and mid levels, I rotated through every hospital and felt at home the minute I arrived. The more experienced providers never hesitated to tell me about it just in case to help me learn, or see a patient if I wasn't comfortable with my diagnosis.