Eastern Virginia Medical School

Eastern Virginia Medical School Employer Reviews

very stressful at times. Management was not always helpful
Administrative Assistant to Department Chair (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2014
Pros: working with the children and their families.
Cons: low pay, sometimes tense work environment
Typical day in a pediatric practice that focused on children with special needs and rehabilitation issues. Hardest part of the job was that management was somewhat unhelpful and uncooperative.
Good opportunities
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 26, 2014
Pros: pleasant working enviorment
Cons: short breaks, very strict
This is a teaching hospital working with various programs.
You can learn a lot from various areas
Rewarding Experience
Administrator (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 10, 2013
Pros: flexibility with schedule when needed
Planning, organization, direction and coordination of clinical practice operations and business activities of the department. Development of department budgets, tracking revenues and expenditures, preparing monthly reports for faculty and staff, perform cost analysis of patient care services, interaction with EVMS Health Services financial administration. – more... Recruitment, selection, assignment and training of support staff, and all matters relating to employee evaluations, transfers, promotions, discipline, terminations and resignations.

Recent projects include a collaborative arrangement between Bon Secours DePaul Hospital and EVMS Department of Otolaryngology to bring the services of General Otolaryngology to the DePaul campus, with a new physician and a brand new office. Responsibilities included working closely with the Project Manager, contractor, Director of Operations and Director of Clinical Services, Director of Marketing and many other support staff to establish and set up the new practice. – less
Nice environment to work in
Technical Services Library Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 19, 2013
Pros: good leadership
Cons: pay is a little on the low side
Great place to work, decent pay but not really in line with the area cost of living. If my spouse hadnt had a full time job with really good benefits, we would have been in trouble.
It is a good place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Norfolk,VAOctober 23, 2013
A day at work is clerical duties and completing projects and assignments.
Horrible place to work
Staff (Former Employee), Norfolk VaOctober 20, 2013
Cons: no raises, low pay, pay for parking, no praise, no respect
Very poor pay, no pay raise. Workers are not appreciated or respected. Doctors take elaborate trips while staff gets no pay increases. No raises yet they charge staff to pay to park in the garages that they own.
Very stressful, short staffed, childish working conditions SURGERY DEPT
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: generous vacation and sick time
Cons: short staffed, unhappy environment, too much criticism, not enough praise
From the minute you clock in until you leave - you will be hearing phones ringing constantly and MUST answer each and every call possible... On top of being expected to do your main job duties PERFECTLY. Being short staffed every day adds to your plate weather you like it or not. Job duties MUST be done with NO mistakes or you get TWO emails AND a call – more... to the supervisors office for "counseling" and/or a write up. Nine different surgeons with very different and particular scheduling rules that change all the time. High attendance issues all the time. All the above rules only pertain to certain ones:/ Patients call and complain all the time for not getting retuned calls = more phone calls, more unanswered calls. Job security is unpredictable there. – less
Productive workplace
Front Desk/Medical Records/Appointment Operator (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 13, 2013
I absolutely love this company,the people; I love everything about this company.
Great intership in Marketing and Communications.
Marketing & Communications Intern (Former Employee), Norfolk, VaSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: the work environment.
Cons: the level of my daily tasks. as an intern, i had a part of every division within marketing.
While an intern in Marketing and Communications I was able to hone my skills as a videographer and in PR while also learning a trade in HTML, CSS and JavaScript Web coding.

I loved the people I worked with and genuinely enjoyed coming to work everyday. I also got the opportunity to interview some pivotal figures in the Hampton Roads community.
Extremely high volume OB/GYN office
Genetics Scheduler/Receptionist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 3, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, benefits
Cons: pay, extremely high volume office, no breaks
At EVMS you workday is non-stop, but it was a great place where I learned many things about ultrasounds, genetic conditions and genetic testing. I wasn't too impressed with lower management and their lack of concern with their staff. Upper management was great in listening to concerns and addressing them accordingly. The co-workers were great for the – more... most part, but their is always one or two that try to make it miserable for everybody else. The hardest part of the job was keeping up in the high-volume office and lack of help when co-workers were out of the office and one person was expected to do the job of three. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients, sonographers and genetic counselors. – less
Stressful
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 6, 2012
Pros: free vendor lunches
Cons: no advancement
A typical work day includes dealing with a plethora of emotional patients due to the nature of this facility.

I learned that being in this position one has does not have the ability to make an independent decision. Everything should go through the manager, who may or may not be available.

At this particular site the manager does not like to deal with – more... the public which makes it hard to provide the best care. In other words, the manager expects her employees to handle difficult patients even when the patient asks for her directly.

The co-workers usually work well together but at times it seems as if the front office staff are targeted for all that goes wrong in the office.

The hardest part of the job is observing the injustice that some patients face.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when patients receive good news and include the office staff.

The pay does not coincide with the work and the training could be much better especially when it comes to dealing with bi-polar patients. Currently, there is no training in that area. – less
Family-like atmosphere
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 24, 2012
Pros: if seen by a evms md you dont have to pay a co-pay, great benefits
Cons: 33 cents a year for raises.
EVMS is a very busy medical school. Ive learned alot about Maternal Fetal Medicine over the past 12 years. I really enjoy my co-worker and management they are like family. The hardest part of the job is to see patients that are emotional due to the health and well being of their fetus. I really love the job and I would work there for 30 mores.
Upcoming Leader in Academic Research
Research Assistant I (Current Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 4, 2012
EVMS is a good academic institution to work at. I happened to work for a PI that was less than reasonable. The institution is great, but there are not too many individuals that have funding so job security is not always certain.
Beautiful enviroment, hard working co-workers..
Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 26, 2012
Pros: i enjoyed having my own office.
Cons: my job was strenous because of the work that had to be done by certain deadlines.
This job was a little over-whelming at times, but the pay was excellent and the overall job was rewarding.
Ok job
Development Asst (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 24, 2012
Pros: awesome co-workers
Cons: too much politicking for my enjoyment
I worked here a long time ago. While I was there, it was very beuarocratic. Soon after getting hire, they initiated a hiring/pay freeze that lasted the remaining 4 years I was there.
EVMS
IT Department Employee (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 6, 2012
Pros: not much work to do, if you like that.
Cons: not much work to do or chance to advance.
My experience is that the pay is poor, increases are very poor and the advancement opportunities in IT are slim to none.
Good place to gain a wide breadth of experience
Director of Development (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 5, 2012
Definitely an up and coming institution with a lot of potential.
Great employer
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 28, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: schedule changes
Benefits are good, because your able to continue your education and there is job advancement