Eastern Washington University

Eastern Washington University Employee Reviews

Fun learning experience.
Fastpitch Club President (Former Employee), Cheney, WAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Fun activity, learning experience, made lasting friendships, physical exercise.
Cons: Time consuming, stressful
I had a lot of fun being EWU's fastpitch club president. I was able to play a sport I loved while also taking on the responsibility of the leader in all of the clubs administrative functions. I was also the coach and supervisor of the club, so it was a lot of responsibility but I learned a lot of useful skills that I will be able to carry on into my future career. Time management, organization, and leadership are just a few of crucial skills that I was able to improve while being Eastern Washington University's fastpitch club's president.
Excellent learning experience with great coworkers.
Instructor (Former Employee), Cheney, WAJuly 24, 2015
I had worked at Eastern Washington University for around 2 years both as a work study tutor/lab assistant helping students in computer literacy as well as an instructor for one quarter while in graduate school. Excellent experience, lots of collaboration with other students in solving problems.
Productive and fun Workplace with Pool tables
Custodian III (Current Employee), Cheney, WAJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Great job independence and public interaction
Cons: Very late shift hours
This is an excellent workplace with excellent communication, friendly people and staff, and friendly and appreciative top-level management and Human Resources division.
A great School, but a nightmare for staff
Technical Writer (Current Employee), Cheney, WAJune 17, 2015
Pros: The time off--nearly 8 weeks a year
Cons: Many administrators and staff are territorial and cruel
So many good facuty and students--the front side of the University is fantastic. Behind the scenes, it is a poisonous culture of turf wars by administrators and staff. I've never worked with so many people who are drunk on power, yet refuse to do their jobs. 90% of our effort was involved in scheming. In lieu of accountability, many staff file HR complaints, spread nasty rumors and bully each other. HR plays favorites, often favoring their personal friends, and ignoring those outside of the clique. After a year and a half of working hard and reworking projects in each new manager's image, I barely managed to avoid getting embroiled in such rancor.

Time to move back to where the adults work.
Nice mindless manual labor
Grounds Department Gardener (Current Employee), Cheney WaApril 16, 2015
I do simple things at the grounds department, like look after the health and well being of the shrubs, trees, lawns, and the overall look of campus. i enjoy it for one, i work at 6 in the morning before class which means i have the rest of the day to focus on my studies, and two, the department allows 'school first' if i need. i can rearrange scheduling to work around me and my school work which is most important.
Great experience and excellent coworkers
Tech-Eze Consultant (Former Employee), Cheney, WAMarch 9, 2015
I enjoyed working for EWU because it gave me the experience I was looking for working with both computers and the local community.
Great University
Student (Former Employee), Cheney, WAFebruary 9, 2015
Eastern was a great university with professors that really took time to make sure their students succeeded. I would certainly recommend to other students looking for a quality education for a fair tuition
Help Desk
Internship (Former Employee), Cheney, WAJanuary 30, 2015
Very easy position to work at while you are attending college. However as a student did a lot of work that full time people were supposed to do.
productive learning in teaching students
Lab Assistant TA (Current Employee), Cheney WAJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work is going into the computer labs, and answering any questions students may have. I learned how to be patient with students when they don't know exactly what to do or how to get through certain steps. I've proctored tests and graded papers, and the hardest part of the job is when a student isn't happy with the grade they're given and they try to "fight" for a better grade.
Productive and educational work environment
Bat Survey Technician (Former Employee), Cheney, WAJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoyed continuing my education while gaining experience working with graduate students.
Depending on your department it can be a great place to work.
Intern (Current Employee), Cheney WashingtonJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: on campus, good people
Cons: politics
EWU is a great place to work, the people there truly care about each other and the management can be great to work for.
Productivity in the newsroom
Page Designer for The Easterner (Former Employee), Cheney, WANovember 13, 2014
The week began with a staff meeting, where editors and writers got together to review the previous week's issue. By the end of the meeting, new assignments and deadlines were handed out. Throughout my time working with the student newspaper, I have experienced office politics, diversity issues among the staff and how they were resolved, and how to run a success newsroom. My editors were always hard on us, making sure we met deadline and upheld the ethnics of journalism. They were also very supportive, helping us whenever we were stuck on a story or had issues with an evading source. The hardest part of the job was remembering that I was also a student; that school had to come first. Keeping up with the work and the pressure was hard, but in a good way. It was hard in the way that we knew that by working through it, we would come out a better reporter. The job was like the most popular roller coaster at the fair. Everyone wanted on and no one wanted off. The fast working environment taught me time management and how to hone my writing and communication skills. Working for The Easterner gave me the opportunities to research things I wouldn't normally consider; things such as baseball and football. The job also gave me the chance to network and get to know my campus more. The reporting part challenged me to ask the tough questions and to know as much as possible.
Fun work place
Tutor/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Cheney, WANovember 2, 2014
Here I doubled as both an office assistant and a tutor to fellow student athletes. I answered phones, filed paperwork, set up quarterly class schedules, and tutored in subjects such as math, english, and literature.
Being a facilitator
PLUS Group Facilitator (Former Employee), Library commonsJuly 15, 2014
Pros: satisfaction, lots of experience with office administration
Cons: nothing
The experience I received at Eastern Washington was beyond none. They had all the training you could imagine for you to succeed there. They were built for you to not fail. My co-workers were very helpful. Everyone help each other in times of need and we all did it with a smile. The hardest part of the job was the preparation. Being a facilitator, I had to prepare lesson plans for each session and ready myself for anything the students asked that I may not have covered. I think the most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction on the students' faces. They liked coming to the sessions.
Great work life balance working at the JFK Library
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee), Cheney, WAMarch 5, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: work longer days during finals
Worked around class schedules and time off requests. Great on campus job.
Loved working at EWU
Greenhouse Manager (Former Employee), Cheney, WAMarch 4, 2014
Great company to work for. Loved my bosses and most of my coworkers.
Great Job
Intramural Office Assistant (Current Employee), Cheney, WAFebruary 16, 2014
I've been with the Intramural dept. for over three years now. I started out as a basic score keeper and moved my way up into an office assistant. It's an easy going, laid back work enviroment, and the schedule is set around you.
fun workplace with great employees
Equipment Manager (Current Employee), Cheney, WAJanuary 19, 2014
flexible and friendly work place. A company that cares about their employees
Go Eags!
University Bookstore Employee (Former Employee), Cheney, WADecember 23, 2013
University Bookstore has the best people you'll ever work with!
Good people to work with
Trainer (Current Employee), Nampa IdahoDecember 5, 2013
I am a foster and adoption trainer, love doing this work and working with the department.