Eastern Washington University Employee Reviews

This is a expansive, educational position to teach adult professionals.
Director/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WADecember 7, 2015
Working for a prestigious university was an honor with supportive management. The pace of working here is very reasonable. It is enjoyable to work with people who have the same career interests. Having the opportunity to teach adult students is very rewarding.
I learned to create core curriculum and execute in person teaching classes with a medium sized group of students. This position gave the opportunity to make good interpersonal relationships with many diverse students.The responsibility of recruiting faculty for upper division course work was an opportunity to meet some and work with some wonderful educators. It was enjoyable to be able to be creative with my teaching techniques and projects.
Pros
Good working atmosphere, work with colleagues that have the same job interests.
Cons
The work is usually part-time.
Great place to work that understands a students schedule.
Chemistry Department Laboratory Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAOctober 3, 2016
I loved working at EWU, they were always willing to accommodate my hectic school schedule and everyone I worked with was simply fun to be around. Working in a laboratory also gives you a greater appreciation for lab safety, equipment, and sanitation than when you are a lab student. I would absolutely encourage other students to work there as well.
Pros
Friendly, Understanding
Great Place To Work While Going to School
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAMarch 24, 2016
Working for Eastern Washington University was a great place to work while still in school. A typical day consists of meeting with a student, discussing classes, personal life, and other things that they would like to talk about, as well as, items that need to be addressed during that day. The nice thing about working here is that you could work around your schedule for school. I have learned so much about myself and how to help others through this job. The management is awesome, and were very understanding about schedules and situations. Their training was very good only for certain circumstances but lacking in other areas of the job, because of the flexibility of the job I recognize that it is impossible to prepare the employee for every circumstance though. My co-workers are awesome and always willing to listen to what you have to say. They are respectful, kind, and just fun to talk to. The hardest part is dealing with some of the students. Some of them do not want to be helped, or are not willing to accept your help or advice. One of the enjoyable parts is finding out that the student that was being difficult to work with, is now succeeding because of the advice that you gave them.
Not a bad place to work if you get the right GSA position
System Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAMay 13, 2016
Loved working on new technology and all the research that went into setting up new servers/clients for particular uses (GPU labs, Advance Placement Testing, ACM local and Regional Contest Hosting, etc). Co-workers are always changing but that is par for the course for a Grad Student. Very flexible hours, most of the time capped at 20 per week. As a system admin assistant, some weeks were longer but some were shorter. For example, the first and last two weeks are usually fairly slow, either instructors are done with the labs or they haven't used them for the quarter yet.
Pros
Tuition was paid.
Cons
Hourly wage still sucked.
High maintenance students, spinless faculty
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  WashingtonJanuary 19, 2016
students in this university are mostly older students who went a stray for some time and realize college is the way to go, I started my position in a promise that my contract will be renewed and the lab will have the software to run an advanced course, when started the first week they advertised my position with a condition that prevent me from applying and no software existed in the lab. The management use the students card to encourage them to complain, in order to let me go, they started complaining and gave me a low evaluation, while peer review was very good, the chair then put it verbally to me "we set you up to fail" , and let me go. four students lead the way to undermine my teaching, and complain because they could not get the grade they want in the course. the dean and the committee was all ears, they did not bother to get my side of the issue. Many of my students where vey sad about the situation, and mentioned that in there evaluation, but nobody in the management will heed, they then asked me to do something, but I did not. I asked the former president to help, but they send me back to the den who was the source of the problem and nothing happened.
I am a US citizen and a taxpayer but by no stretch of imagination I was treated like one or even like a human
Pros
compensation and retirment
Cons
Student control of faculty, no real labs all simulations, minority disrespect
productive and enthusiastic workplace
Professional floor guard (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAJune 12, 2016
a typical day at work for me is getting their fifteen minutes early to make sure the referees rooms are secure. Then i take my position next to one of the four entrances which players and officials are allowed to go in. Also our job is to get the referees to their room safely when its halftime.
Fun learning experience.
Fastpitch Club President (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 29, 2015
I had a lot of fun being EWU's fastpitch club president. I was able to play a sport I loved while also taking on the responsibility of the leader in all of the clubs administrative functions. I was also the coach and supervisor of the club, so it was a lot of responsibility but I learned a lot of useful skills that I will be able to carry on into my future career. Time management, organization, and leadership are just a few of crucial skills that I was able to improve while being Eastern Washington University's fastpitch club's president.
Pros
Fun activity, learning experience, made lasting friendships, physical exercise.
Cons
Time consuming, stressful
Wonderful student employment
Assistant (IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAFebruary 4, 2016
General great place to work if you are working as a student you get minimal benefits but that is understandable for a entry level job.
Great first on campus job
Student Caller (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAMay 16, 2016
I could not have asked for a better first on campus job. Great co-workers and a great, understanding boss. Very easy to follow the training to be successful.
Learned about FGDM Coordination
Family Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDMay 4, 2016
It was an okay place to work. This position was not on the campus but was a program in Coeur d'Alene, ID. I worked 19 hours a week, working with families in the Child and Family Services agency.
A great School, but a nightmare for staff
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAJune 17, 2015
So many good facuty and students--the front side of the University is fantastic. Behind the scenes, it is a poisonous culture of turf wars by administrators and staff. I've never worked with so many people who are drunk on power, yet refuse to do their jobs. 90% of our effort was involved in scheming. In lieu of accountability, many staff file HR complaints, spread nasty rumors and bully each other. HR plays favorites, often favoring their personal friends, and ignoring those outside of the clique. After a year and a half of working hard and reworking projects in each new manager's image, I barely managed to avoid getting embroiled in such rancor.

Time to move back to where the adults work.
Pros
The time off--nearly 8 weeks a year
Cons
Many administrators and staff are territorial and cruel
Public University
Special Faculty (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 25, 2015
Job work/life balance was equal. Depending on the department and dynamics of that department, I believe some were more functional than others.
Fun work with domestic and international students
Work Aide Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 2, 2015
Supportive co-workers and understanding management. I learned a lot from the people I worked with and students I helped. Very enjoyable work space
Great learning environment
Technology Instructor/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 23, 2015
Wonderful professors in the technology department made this a rewarding experience and a chance to learn while I also taught others.
Pros
Practical application and hands on learning environment
Cons
n/a
Productivity in the newsroom
Page Designer for The Easterner (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 13, 2014
The week began with a staff meeting, where editors and writers got together to review the previous week's issue. By the end of the meeting, new assignments and deadlines were handed out. Throughout my time working with the student newspaper, I have experienced office politics, diversity issues among the staff and how they were resolved, and how to run a success newsroom. My editors were always hard on us, making sure we met deadline and upheld the ethnics of journalism. They were also very supportive, helping us whenever we were stuck on a story or had issues with an evading source. The hardest part of the job was remembering that I was also a student; that school had to come first. Keeping up with the work and the pressure was hard, but in a good way. It was hard in the way that we knew that by working through it, we would come out a better reporter. The job was like the most popular roller coaster at the fair. Everyone wanted on and no one wanted off. The fast working environment taught me time management and how to hone my writing and communication skills. Working for The Easterner gave me the opportunities to research things I wouldn't normally consider; things such as baseball and football. The job also gave me the chance to network and get to know my campus more. The reporting part challenged me to ask the tough questions and to know as much as possible.
Great team
Teaching, Research and Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJanuary 12, 2016
Position required understanding of laboratory instruments and procedures, provided care and assessed for university staff and students.
Depending on your department it can be a great place to work.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Cheney WashingtonJanuary 2, 2015
EWU is a great place to work, the people there truly care about each other and the management can be great to work for.
Pros
On campus, good people
Cons
Politics
Productive and fun Workplace with Pool tables
Custodian III (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 5, 2015
This is an excellent workplace with excellent communication, friendly people and staff, and friendly and appreciative top-level management and Human Resources division.
Pros
Great job independence and public interaction
Cons
Very late shift hours
I Loved Working At Eastern.
Graduate Assistant of Orchestras and Library Page (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 25, 2013
I served as a library page, a music librarian and a Graduate Assistant. I learned so much when I was there and I did many duties within JFK Library and the Music Department. I maintained shelves, checked in books, checked out books and shelved media. I did PR for the concerts and wrote program notes. I loved those jobs very much! They taught me some great skills.
Pros
The work, the people, the management, the hours
Cons
Wish I was still a music librarian and library page (I graduated)
Position provided exposure and opportunities to learn and practice practical skills
Interim Health Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WashingtonJuly 24, 2013
I researched, designed, and implemented prevention programs that were presented to the university community (students, faculty, staff). The primary purpose of these programs were to provide preventative education for students around the subjects of substance use, sexual health and responsibility, nutrition, fitness, stress, and violence. I was responsible for supervising 5 student Peer Advisor staff members, as they provided peer education to EWU students. I also provided follow-up meetings with students who had been found responsible for violating the university's alcohol code of conduct, utilizing Motivational Interviewing to address usage.
Management, for the most part, has been supportive. However, my experience has been one of frustration due to an immense gap in communication between what my supervisor envisions and what has actually been verbally expressed. This created multiple hurdles for each member of this department, individually and as a group.
Pros
Being able to work with and for the student population
Cons
Unclear expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Washington University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5