Eastern Washington University

Eastern Washington University Employee Reviews

High maintenance students, spinless faculty
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  WashingtonJanuary 19, 2016
students in this university are mostly older students who went a stray for some time and realize college is the way to go, I started my position in a promise that my contract will be renewed and the lab will have the software to run an advanced course, when started the first week they advertised my position with a condition that prevent me from applying and no software existed in the lab. The management use the students card to encourage them to complain, in order to let me go, they started complaining and gave me a low evaluation, while peer review was very good, the chair then put it verbally to me "we set you up to fail" , and let me go. four students lead the way to undermine my teaching, and complain because they could not get the grade they want in the course. the dean and the committee was all ears, they did not bother to get my side of the issue. Many of my students where vey sad about the situation, and mentioned that in there evaluation, but nobody in the management will heed, they then asked me to do something, but I did not. I asked the former president to help, but they send me back to the den who was the source of the problem and nothing happened.
I am a US citizen and a taxpayer but by no stretch of imagination I was treated like one or even like a human
Pros
compensation and retirment
Cons
Student control of faculty, no real labs all simulations, minority disrespect
Productivity in the newsroom
Page Designer for The Easterner (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 13, 2014
The week began with a staff meeting, where editors and writers got together to review the previous week's issue. By the end of the meeting, new assignments and deadlines were handed out. Throughout my time working with the student newspaper, I have experienced office politics, diversity issues among the staff and how they were resolved, and how to run a success newsroom. My editors were always hard on us, making sure we met deadline and upheld the ethnics of journalism. They were also very supportive, helping us whenever we were stuck on a story or had issues with an evading source. The hardest part of the job was remembering that I was also a student; that school had to come first. Keeping up with the work and the pressure was hard, but in a good way. It was hard in the way that we knew that by working through it, we would come out a better reporter. The job was like the most popular roller coaster at the fair. Everyone wanted on and no one wanted off. The fast working environment taught me time management and how to hone my writing and communication skills. Working for The Easterner gave me the opportunities to research things I wouldn't normally consider; things such as baseball and football. The job also gave me the chance to network and get to know my campus more. The reporting part challenged me to ask the tough questions and to know as much as possible.
Position provided exposure and opportunities to learn and practice practical skills
Interim Health Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WashingtonJuly 24, 2013
I researched, designed, and implemented prevention programs that were presented to the university community (students, faculty, staff). The primary purpose of these programs were to provide preventative education for students around the subjects of substance use, sexual health and responsibility, nutrition, fitness, stress, and violence. I was responsible for supervising 5 student Peer Advisor staff members, as they provided peer education to EWU students. I also provided follow-up meetings with students who had been found responsible for violating the university's alcohol code of conduct, utilizing Motivational Interviewing to address usage.
Management, for the most part, has been supportive. However, my experience has been one of frustration due to an immense gap in communication between what my supervisor envisions and what has actually been verbally expressed. This created multiple hurdles for each member of this department, individually and as a group.
Pros
being able to work with and for the student population
Cons
unclear expectations
A great School, but a nightmare for staff
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAJune 17, 2015
So many good facuty and students--the front side of the University is fantastic. Behind the scenes, it is a poisonous culture of turf wars by administrators and staff. I've never worked with so many people who are drunk on power, yet refuse to do their jobs. 90% of our effort was involved in scheming. In lieu of accountability, many staff file HR complaints, spread nasty rumors and bully each other. HR plays favorites, often favoring their personal friends, and ignoring those outside of the clique. After a year and a half of working hard and reworking projects in each new manager's image, I barely managed to avoid getting embroiled in such rancor.

Time to move back to where the adults work.
Pros
The time off--nearly 8 weeks a year
Cons
Many administrators and staff are territorial and cruel
This is a expansive, educational position to teach adult professionals.
Director/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WADecember 7, 2015
Working for a prestigious university was an honor with supportive management. The pace of working here is very reasonable. It is enjoyable to work with people who have the same career interests. Having the opportunity to teach adult students is very rewarding.
I learned to create core curriculum and execute in person teaching classes with a medium sized group of students. This position gave the opportunity to make good interpersonal relationships with many diverse students.The responsibility of recruiting faculty for upper division course work was an opportunity to meet some and work with some wonderful educators. It was enjoyable to be able to be creative with my teaching techniques and projects.
Pros
Good working atmosphere, work with colleagues that have the same job interests.
Cons
The work is usually part-time.
Being a facilitator
PLUS Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Library commonsJuly 15, 2014
The experience I received at Eastern Washington was beyond none. They had all the training you could imagine for you to succeed there. They were built for you to not fail. My co-workers were very helpful. Everyone help each other in times of need and we all did it with a smile. The hardest part of the job was the preparation. Being a facilitator, I had to prepare lesson plans for each session and ready myself for anything the students asked that I may not have covered. I think the most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction on the students' faces. They liked coming to the sessions.
Pros
satisfaction, lots of experience with office administration
Cons
nothing
Fun learning experience.
Fastpitch Club President (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 29, 2015
I had a lot of fun being EWU's fastpitch club president. I was able to play a sport I loved while also taking on the responsibility of the leader in all of the clubs administrative functions. I was also the coach and supervisor of the club, so it was a lot of responsibility but I learned a lot of useful skills that I will be able to carry on into my future career. Time management, organization, and leadership are just a few of crucial skills that I was able to improve while being Eastern Washington University's fastpitch club's president.
Pros
Fun activity, learning experience, made lasting friendships, physical exercise.
Cons
Time consuming, stressful
Interesting Place
Sales (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 8, 2014
Xero is a global company with offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. Xero is the emerging leader in online accounting software, providing business owners with real-time visibility of their financial position in a way that’s simple, smart and secure. For advisors such as accountants and bookkeepers, Xero forges a trusted relationship with clients through online collaboration and gives them the opportunity to extend their services. Xero is a new type of multinational with teams around the world united in our passion to revolutionise small business
Pros
sales
Cons
salse
productive learning in teaching students
Lab Assistant TA (Current Employee) –  Cheney WAJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work is going into the computer labs, and answering any questions students may have. I learned how to be patient with students when they don't know exactly what to do or how to get through certain steps. I've proctored tests and graded papers, and the hardest part of the job is when a student isn't happy with the grade they're given and they try to "fight" for a better grade.
The Hardest Part
ROTC Cadet (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAAugust 8, 2013
The most difficult part is by far time management. With having to juggle school and what ends up being a full time commitment to the program, finding time for anything else has challenged me. I`ve been through the toughest part of the program and am now ready for the next step which has allowed me more time for other opportunities just before graduation.
Pros
opportunities, high standard and expectations, close knit
Cons
stress, pay, never had a break
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAMay 7, 2012
Taught six quarters of “Introduction to Communication” for non-communication majors to adult students seeking their bachelors degree.
• Recipient of the Graduate Teaching Assistant of the Year award in 2004 at the National Communication Association Convention in New Orleans.
• Lectured daily in a classroom to approximately 25 students. Proctored exams and final exams, graded papers, and performed other duties as required.
• Held regular office hours where students could come for one-on-one help with course material.
Nice mindless manual labor
Grounds Department Gardener (Current Employee) –  Cheney WaApril 16, 2015
I do simple things at the grounds department, like look after the health and well being of the shrubs, trees, lawns, and the overall look of campus. i enjoy it for one, i work at 6 in the morning before class which means i have the rest of the day to focus on my studies, and two, the department allows 'school first' if i need. i can rearrange scheduling to work around me and my school work which is most important.
I Loved Working At Eastern.
Graduate Assistant of Orchestras and Library Page (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 25, 2013
I served as a library page, a music librarian and a Graduate Assistant. I learned so much when I was there and I did many duties within JFK Library and the Music Department. I maintained shelves, checked in books, checked out books and shelved media. I did PR for the concerts and wrote program notes. I loved those jobs very much! They taught me some great skills.
Pros
the work, the people, the management, the hours
Cons
wish i was still a music librarian and library page (i graduated)
Dynamic, with many responsibilities
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WashingtonSeptember 18, 2013
I really enjoyed my time as Graduate Assistant in the MBA department at EWU. I was given lots of work that I enjoyed doing. My supervisors were very supportive and provided lots of insight that added to my understanding of the impact of my jobs on the department.
Pros
great leaders
Cons
one professor was incredibly rude and loud.
Excellent learning experience with great coworkers.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 24, 2015
I had worked at Eastern Washington University for around 2 years both as a work study tutor/lab assistant helping students in computer literacy as well as an instructor for one quarter while in graduate school. Excellent experience, lots of collaboration with other students in solving problems.
Great Job
Intramural Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAFebruary 16, 2014
I've been with the Intramural dept. for over three years now. I started out as a basic score keeper and moved my way up into an office assistant. It's an easy going, laid back work enviroment, and the schedule is set around you.
Learning and fun experience
International Peer Adviser/ Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 5, 2013
I helped international students adapt to the American lifestyle. I counselled, advised, and guide them with academic as well as with personnel problems. I learned so much from students about various cultures and backgrounds.
Fun work place
Tutor/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 2, 2014
Here I doubled as both an office assistant and a tutor to fellow student athletes. I answered phones, filed paperwork, set up quarterly class schedules, and tutored in subjects such as math, english, and literature.
Productive and fun Workplace with Pool tables
Custodian III (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 5, 2015
This is an excellent workplace with excellent communication, friendly people and staff, and friendly and appreciative top-level management and Human Resources division.
Pros
Great job independence and public interaction
Cons
Very late shift hours
Work-Study
TA (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJanuary 10, 2013
Working with other students was a very fulfilling. Grading papers was a special time for me to get to know the strengths and weaknesses of the students, which helped me to help them more effectively.
Pros
working with others.

4.5