Eastern Washington University

Eastern Washington University Employee Reviews

Wonderful student employment
Assistant (IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAFebruary 4, 2016
General great place to work if you are working as a student you get minimal benefits but that is understandable for a entry level job.
High maintenance students, spinless faculty
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  WashingtonJanuary 19, 2016
students in this university are mostly older students who went a stray for some time and realize college is the way to go, I started my position in a promise that my contract will be renewed and the lab will have the software to run an advanced course, when started the first week they advertised my position with a condition that prevent me from applying and no software existed in the lab. The management use the students card to encourage them to complain, in order to let me go, they started complaining and gave me a low evaluation, while peer review was very good, the chair then put it verbally to me "we set you up to fail" , and let me go. four students lead the way to undermine my teaching, and complain because they could not get the grade they want in the course. the dean and the committee was all ears, they did not bother to get my side of the issue. Many of my students where vey sad about the situation, and mentioned that in there evaluation, but nobody in the management will heed, they then asked me to do something, but I did not. I asked the former president to help, but they send me back to the den who was the source of the problem and nothing happened.
I am a US citizen and a taxpayer but by no stretch of imagination I was treated like one or even like a human
Pros
compensation and retirment
Cons
Student control of faculty, no real labs all simulations, minority disrespect
Great team
Teaching, Research and Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJanuary 12, 2016
Position required understanding of laboratory instruments and procedures, provided care and assessed for university staff and students.
This is a expansive, educational position to teach adult professionals.
Director/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WADecember 7, 2015
Working for a prestigious university was an honor with supportive management. The pace of working here is very reasonable. It is enjoyable to work with people who have the same career interests. Having the opportunity to teach adult students is very rewarding.
I learned to create core curriculum and execute in person teaching classes with a medium sized group of students. This position gave the opportunity to make good interpersonal relationships with many diverse students.The responsibility of recruiting faculty for upper division course work was an opportunity to meet some and work with some wonderful educators. It was enjoyable to be able to be creative with my teaching techniques and projects.
Pros
Good working atmosphere, work with colleagues that have the same job interests.
Cons
The work is usually part-time.
Public University
Special Faculty (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 25, 2015
Job work/life balance was equal. Depending on the department and dynamics of that department, I believe some were more functional than others.
Great learning environment
Technology Instructor/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 23, 2015
Wonderful professors in the technology department made this a rewarding experience and a chance to learn while I also taught others.
Pros
Practical application and hands on learning environment
Cons
n/a
Fun work with domestic and international students
Work Aide Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 2, 2015
Supportive co-workers and understanding management. I learned a lot from the people I worked with and students I helped. Very enjoyable work space
Summer job for school
Recycling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WASeptember 4, 2015
Perfect job to have while going to school at Easter Washington University. Co-workers were unpredictable at times but overall good to work with.
Fun learning experience.
Fastpitch Club President (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 29, 2015
I had a lot of fun being EWU's fastpitch club president. I was able to play a sport I loved while also taking on the responsibility of the leader in all of the clubs administrative functions. I was also the coach and supervisor of the club, so it was a lot of responsibility but I learned a lot of useful skills that I will be able to carry on into my future career. Time management, organization, and leadership are just a few of crucial skills that I was able to improve while being Eastern Washington University's fastpitch club's president.
Pros
Fun activity, learning experience, made lasting friendships, physical exercise.
Cons
Time consuming, stressful
Excellent learning experience with great coworkers.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 24, 2015
I had worked at Eastern Washington University for around 2 years both as a work study tutor/lab assistant helping students in computer literacy as well as an instructor for one quarter while in graduate school. Excellent experience, lots of collaboration with other students in solving problems.

Want to know more about Eastern Washington University?

Ask a question
Productive and fun Workplace with Pool tables
Custodian III (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAJuly 5, 2015
This is an excellent workplace with excellent communication, friendly people and staff, and friendly and appreciative top-level management and Human Resources division.
Pros
Great job independence and public interaction
Cons
Very late shift hours
A great School, but a nightmare for staff
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Cheney, WAJune 17, 2015
So many good facuty and students--the front side of the University is fantastic. Behind the scenes, it is a poisonous culture of turf wars by administrators and staff. I've never worked with so many people who are drunk on power, yet refuse to do their jobs. 90% of our effort was involved in scheming. In lieu of accountability, many staff file HR complaints, spread nasty rumors and bully each other. HR plays favorites, often favoring their personal friends, and ignoring those outside of the clique. After a year and a half of working hard and reworking projects in each new manager's image, I barely managed to avoid getting embroiled in such rancor.

Time to move back to where the adults work.
Pros
The time off--nearly 8 weeks a year
Cons
Many administrators and staff are territorial and cruel
Nice mindless manual labor
Grounds Department Gardener (Current Employee) –  Cheney WaApril 16, 2015
I do simple things at the grounds department, like look after the health and well being of the shrubs, trees, lawns, and the overall look of campus. i enjoy it for one, i work at 6 in the morning before class which means i have the rest of the day to focus on my studies, and two, the department allows 'school first' if i need. i can rearrange scheduling to work around me and my school work which is most important.
Great experience and excellent coworkers
Tech-Eze Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAMarch 9, 2015
I enjoyed working for EWU because it gave me the experience I was looking for working with both computers and the local community.
Great University
Student (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAFebruary 9, 2015
Eastern was a great university with professors that really took time to make sure their students succeeded. I would certainly recommend to other students looking for a quality education for a fair tuition
Help Desk
Internship (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJanuary 30, 2015
Very easy position to work at while you are attending college. However as a student did a lot of work that full time people were supposed to do.
productive learning in teaching students
Lab Assistant TA (Current Employee) –  Cheney WAJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work is going into the computer labs, and answering any questions students may have. I learned how to be patient with students when they don't know exactly what to do or how to get through certain steps. I've proctored tests and graded papers, and the hardest part of the job is when a student isn't happy with the grade they're given and they try to "fight" for a better grade.
Productive and educational work environment
Bat Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJanuary 19, 2015
I enjoyed continuing my education while gaining experience working with graduate students.
Depending on your department it can be a great place to work.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Cheney WashingtonJanuary 2, 2015
EWU is a great place to work, the people there truly care about each other and the management can be great to work for.
Pros
on campus, good people
Cons
politics
Productivity in the newsroom
Page Designer for The Easterner (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WANovember 13, 2014
The week began with a staff meeting, where editors and writers got together to review the previous week's issue. By the end of the meeting, new assignments and deadlines were handed out. Throughout my time working with the student newspaper, I have experienced office politics, diversity issues among the staff and how they were resolved, and how to run a success newsroom. My editors were always hard on us, making sure we met deadline and upheld the ethnics of journalism. They were also very supportive, helping us whenever we were stuck on a story or had issues with an evading source. The hardest part of the job was remembering that I was also a student; that school had to come first. Keeping up with the work and the pressure was hard, but in a good way. It was hard in the way that we knew that by working through it, we would come out a better reporter. The job was like the most popular roller coaster at the fair. Everyone wanted on and no one wanted off. The fast working environment taught me time management and how to hone my writing and communication skills. Working for The Easterner gave me the opportunities to research things I wouldn't normally consider; things such as baseball and football. The job also gave me the chance to network and get to know my campus more. The reporting part challenged me to ask the tough questions and to know as much as possible.

4.5