Eastman Chemical Company Employee Reviews

Senior ABAP Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNAugust 7, 2017
I was hired as a temporary consultant, so I had no benefits at all. But the employees seemed to be very pleased with their benefits and work loads.
For the short time I worked there, it was a very nice and well organized job.
LSE Summer
Analytical Chemist Intern (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNAugust 7, 2017
If you have an opportunity and are studying Chemistry, then do yourself a favor and apply for this position. It has solidified my understandings of Chemistry while simultaneously giving me real world experience.
Chemical Process Control Operator
CHEMICAL PROCESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 21, 2017
Pay is amazing! Can be difficult to get along with so many different personalities working 12 hr shifts. Poor management choices by hr. Great benefits
Pros
Great pay, great benefits, work/home balance is great
Cons
Long shifts, additional training required off the clock (towards certificate), human resource hiring choices for management
Family oriented workplace!
Compliance Assistance (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 14, 2017
Eastman Chemical is a great place to work. They are very family oriented and the main focus is taking the time to do the job SAFELY! I'm proud to be apart of a company that is so diverse.
Pros
401K, Benefits, Pay, and Onsite Cafeteria
Cons
Healthcare deductible
CHEMICAL OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 13, 2017
A good place to work. Lots of opportunities and challenges. Met lots of good people who will be friends with forever. The shift work is the challenge/
Great Company with an interesting varied portfolio
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Monongahela, PAJuly 6, 2017
Workplace was traditional, management is shifting more to Eastman culture. In my role work was varied supporting global division initiatives as well as supporting local production facility. Great variety of work.
A company with an evolving culture. Easy to be marginalized unless outspoken or trivialized if you keep quiet. Grateful for my tenure there
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJune 30, 2017
Typical work day started with searching information (SharePoint sites, email, texts, etc.) outlets and reviewing longer range plans to determine focus and where progress needs to be made. You will typically have multiple focuses depending on your job responsibilities. Responding to emergencies is not the norm, but you must be rearrange if they happen. Diligence is a prized attribute on most jobs.
From an Information Technology perspective, they are attempting shifting from a project team-oriented atmosphere to more of a small task-oriented team approach with the hope of increasing identifiable project milestone completions. Because of the overall aging workforce and the hunger for new ideas, they can sometime over value to contribution of younger workers.
I have learned to "get out of the way" when a direction has been set, or a decision has been made. I like the desire of management to be inclusive from a diversity perspective, but they still have a very long way to go. The initial focus will be on women, and others will follow depending on the outcome of this effort.
The workplace culture is good, and your performance is often difficult to gage because you have so many groups doing evaluations with their own individual scales. Sometimes determining how to reach a goal is difficult because it is so different depending on your team assignment.
The hardest part of the job is knowing when to be outspoken, and when to keep quiet. If you are outspoken at the wrong time, you will be marginalized. If you don't speak at the right time, you will be trivialized. The right
  more... balance is essential depending on the audience and their overall view of you.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning and implementing new technology to help the company become more efficient. I had the opportunity to work on some great efforts with a lot of great people.
Once was the best place to work.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJune 18, 2017
When I first started at Eastman it was a great place to work. As the years passed by, it became increasingly stressful and benefits were cut. Upper positions were constantly be filled while lower positions back were being cut back.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Increasing stress from not having enough people to do the work.
Great Company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 29, 2017
Lots of amazing people work here, their drive to succeed while creating a fun and relaxed work environment made my time here wonderful. The team works together, and traditional "office politics" are almost non-existent.
Great coworkers and wonderful leads, but terrible management
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 22, 2017
Management in the office is has no idea what actually happens in the plant. Also head management says they care about the employees families but, will call over time two hours before end of shift leaving employees with hardly anytime to get a babysitter if need. And myself I feel that it is a safe place to work but they preach safety but didn't tell you to work faster even if you are already putting out "daily production" for nothing extra not evendors a thanks for the hard work.
Pros
Good pay for the area
Cons
Good place to work but advancement can be limited
Electrical and Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMay 10, 2017
I was hired as an apprentice electrical and instrument technician and went through their U.S. Dept. of Labor certified program to become a journeyman electrical and instrument technician. I worked here for over twenty years and gained a broad range of experience working on anything from outdated pneumatic to state of the art electronic PLC,DCS, and control systems technology. Management was okay but could show favoritism on occasions. Workplace was okay depending on the operating unit you were working in at the time. The hardest part of the job was working around some of the equipment which had to run at high temperatures to operate/manufacture products while wearing fire retardant clothing, particularly in the summer months.
Supply Chain
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 8, 2017
Little balance between home and work life. Some veteran management never differentiate from old practices. Small town USA, promotes nepotism. Talk about it and wait mindset, not empowered to make quick decisions.
Pros
great atmosphere/caring teams
Cons
Stuck in their old ways
It was a job
Steam Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 21, 2017
It was a place to work. No advancement unless you where in the in crowd. Good ol boy system was very prevalent. Upper management has no idea how lower management handles employees.
Could Be Better
Chemical Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXMarch 9, 2017
There are still many differences in the Eastman School and how they conduct operations in the plant. Micromanaging is common in the work place which makes it difficult to carry out the simplest of tasks without being questioned. Also a huge tenure gap which could cause major problems in the future.
Dirty Unpleasant work environment
Unit Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILMarch 8, 2017
Was not that professionally run. Once they made the decision to sell the plant, all capital improvements stopped and the place became run down. Not that pleasant of a work environment.
Pros
Learned a lot about handling many processing issues quickly
Cons
Mgt invested very little in the plant, got run down
Great place to make money and die from cancer
Spinning Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 6, 2017
Horrible Benefits
Locker Room Behavior
Back stabbing culture
Poor quality of people
Can make a lot of money if you are willing to live there and never see your family
If you're not in with the clique forget about any advancement
Pros
decent pay and job security
Cons
Good chance of developing some type of cancer
Enjoy my work everyday
Business Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 20, 2017
Eastman is a good company with collaborate culture. Every day I come to work expecting a fruitful day - learn new things, support coworkers or seek support from them, and make decisions on my products.
Pros
Eastman is a good company with collaborate culture.
Cons
Location is a negative factor to attract talents
Terrible work environment.
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXFebruary 3, 2017
I have been an operator for 30 years and can honestly say the 5 years I spent at Eastman Chemical in Texas City was one of the most hostile environments I can ever remember. Management cares nothing for the health and welfare of its emplyees and team managers are free to treat employees any way they want without any retribution. However the other locations of Eastman seem to do far better in employee welfare the Texas City site is in need of a complete makeover.
Internship
Process Operator (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Did an internship as a part of my degree plan. Was a great place to work for. Shifts were very bearable. For the time that I was there I learned a great deal of how operations were ran. Would love an opportunity to work in the same type of job field again!
Wonderful company, pleasure to work there.
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Looked forward to going to work every day. Was a Senior Labs Tech and assistant to PhD Chemist.
Was lab manager in R&D. Could not have been a better company to work for.
I retired after 37 years because company was downsizing.
Pros
Freedom to manage my work area.