Eataly Employee Reviews

Hostess (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2017
Working at Eataly has been a great learning experience. I've learned a lot about the Italian culture and food. From the way the prepare their meals to the different regions the food was ported from and the process of the aging of their cheeses and meats. Also the many different olive oils they make in Italy. I feel like the management could be better their are alot of things that could be improved. The most enjoyable part of the job is deal with the different customers from all around the world.
Pros
Family meal
Cons
Cut hours
Fun Place To Work,Great Learning Experience and You get treated With Respect.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 8, 2017
I really Like working there it's fast paced,everybody treats you with respect,theres alot of resources there
and learning experiences and also alot of room to grow.
Pros
free lunches, reasonable breaks, weekly pay
Cons
sometimes it's a little overwhelmng, some customers are rude.
Experience is valuable
Lead Bread Baker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
mot people will never cook anything inside or over wood burning. The experience of coking bread in a wood burning oven was cool. I also mastered my craft.
Fun, challenging, and vibrant place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Eataly. I found that Eataly, as a company, holds true to its promises - the mission statement, the ethics of the company, what they expect of the employees. I found that upper management was very hands-on in my department, always respectful, always wanting to help. Eataly is a place where, no matter your department, you can learn a lot. Eataly encourages feedback, and as a corporation really seems to want to make its employees lives easier and happier. We had occasional meetings within my department as well as full-store meetings, to take feedback and to prepare everybody for the months ahead.

I would definitely say that what department you're working in is a huge factor, as management and culture varies by department. Some managers are more competent than others. In addition to my own department, I had positive experiences with HR. Issues that were taken to HR were resolved quickly. All the people I worked with and were acquainted with at Eataly were helpful, respectful, and open-minded. Eataly is a company that promotes inclusivity, and they hire a lot of people from the LGBTQIA community. I didn't encounter any discrimination during my time there!

I would say the most enjoyable part of working there was learning about the products, and speaking with the customers. There were a lot of snobby, rude customers, certainly - but what makes Eataly unique is that it's truly an EXPERIENCE for the customer, and I encountered a lot of really bubbly, excited customers who were just happy to be there and having fun. So that felt really rewarding.

The
  more... management for my department was really great - accommodating, listened to feedback, not demanding, always wanting to help. I felt cared-for and listened-to by my managers. There wasn't a lot of drama in my department, and when there was, it was dealt with quickly. Eataly also encourages internal advancement with regard to its employees, so there are a lot of opportunities to advance into other departments, if you'd like. Eataly truly is a company that you can grow with!  less
Pros
Paid fairly, Management understanding and kind, my department ran smoothly, issues addressed immediately, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Not a lot of training in most depts, not enough hours during slow periods
Great co-workers, Poor advacement&pay, Poor management
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2017
Worked at Eataly as line cook. Chefs don't promote within. Unless you're a "buddy" to management. You won't see a black/Hispanic chef/sous. Chefs are inconsistent.
Pros
benefits, location, co-workers
Cons
Dont promote hardworking staff. No black or hispanic chefs/sous. No consistency of training.
Great place to work, just look for advancement yourself.
BUSSER-RUNNER-BARBACK (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 13, 2017
Eataly was a blast to work at, all the folks there are friendly and willing to help out newer employees. Management could use some work but everything else is great.
Great employees, bad management
Guest Relations Ambassador (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2017
I've learned a lot while working at Eataly however, there was not a lot of advancement opportunities for the staff. Overall management was incompetent and often times did questionable decisions.
Great
SOUS CHEF (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2017
Fun place to work, everyday is different. Challenging yourself is what you have to do to succeed here. A lot of competition between chefs and coworkers.
flatiron host
Hostess (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Pizza/Pasta is a busy, confusing, fast paced restaurant, and if you don't know that when you apply, I don't know what to tell you. In regards to the job, I was promised things that they were not in the position to offer me. The pay is terrible, NO ONE CAN LIVE OFF WHAT THEY PAY. They make blanket statements about not being able to move up, and when management feels like being involved they do. They also don't treat their hard working people right. I was so excited to work there, and was sorely disappointed.
Pros
looks good on a resume
Cons
pay, work environment, management works when they want to
great
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 22, 2017
i enjoyed working there and the managers were great. this is a great job if your new to the working life. you will gained alot of experience. i recommend
Poor management, Minimal opportunity for growth
Wine Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2017
I was a retail employee for 9 months at Eataly Chicago. Management showed a pattern of disrespect for myself and my fellow employees within my department. Very political in their decision making on who could be promoted. Low wage, minimal benefits, severe lack of recognition for hard work.
Pros
Free lunch and the occasional class at La Scuola
Cons
Little room for growth, no recognition of hard work
no coment
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2017
I love my job and the management is very good breacks are managble and free lunches are very good I love the schedule accomplish my job on time find time going by easy . Cleaning job has no hard time as long it is done acordenly with rules
Great place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
Eataly is a very cool place to work. Because it is retail as well a restaurant the hours can suck for some. For me it was a great experience, I was able to learn so much of the business, so much of Italy, so much of the food, wine, and cheese. I was responsible of a lot as facilities technician as it is constantly changing, evolving place.
Pros
Learn a culture, a region of the world and meet some great people
Cons
No raises, no evaluations.
Fun work place
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2017
Typical work day is fast paced and demanding. I learned great skills such as customer service. Management was helpful. I really enjoyed the wide array of people who walked through the store.
good first time food experience
Stocker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
I had fun working there and meeting people from different backgrounds, it's very diverse. I would suggest anyone that wants to try food service to start here
Pros
you get to try food
Cons
stay late and clean up
Fast paced environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2017
A day at the Pizza Pasta restaurant at Eataly was hectic. There were many rushes through out the day and there were often many upset customers. I learned through that to deal with people and work on my manner of approaching a disgruntled customer. The managers ran things as smoothly as they could and often had the staffs back if there was an issue with a customer. The staff was hard working and professional. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a constant flow of people for hours on end. The most enjoyable was learning about wines and tasting the new foods being offered on the menu.
Pros
We got to taste new dishes at pre shift and learned about wine tasting.
Cons
Low wages
great to learn and grow within the company
Stock Associate/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2017
Eataly is a work place that grew to feel like a family,they taught me so much within the company. My co-workers helped me to be the best grocery stocker that I can be. I love to work with the customers they are wonderful to be around.
Pros
free lunch, working downtown chicago, great eviroment
Cons
not enough pay, hard to move up in the company, not enough hours
Just your average retail job with overpriced wares and food
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2017
Typically dead during the Fall and Winter. Business picks up over the Summer and that's where people get most of their hours. Management is lacking in several departments also with communications of what sales are still going on and also terrible advertisement. Often prices aren't adjusted for sale items until the day of thus halting the faster pace needed to ring up guests efficiently. The most enjoyable thing was the staff classes which were free and pretty educational.
Pros
Healthcare plan, CTA Benefits program
Cons
Staff meal, discount, hours, pay
eatly
Cashier/Retailer/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2017
i worked as a Cashier i also did Food prep,Worked different stations,train different workers and also made sure every area i worked was clean an fully restocked
Pros
great co workers
Cons
short hours
I suggest part time
Cashier/Demo Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2016
Nice place to work and learn more about different types of Italian foods. I enjoyed the staff classes and working with some of the people, it's a little over whelming but once you get used to the location it become second nature.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Unorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eataly. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9