Eataly Employee Reviews

Just your average retail job with overpriced wares and food
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2017
Typically dead during the Fall and Winter. Business picks up over the Summer and that's where people get most of their hours. Management is lacking in several departments also with communications of what sales are still going on and also terrible advertisement. Often prices aren't adjusted for sale items until the day of thus halting the faster pace needed to ring up guests efficiently. The most enjoyable thing was the staff classes which were free and pretty educational.
Pros
Healthcare plan, CTA Benefits program
Cons
Staff meal, discount, hours, pay
No Future in this Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2015
Eataly is a nice place to work at first but the longer you stay then you begin to realize that it is not the place that you want to move forward in long term. Management has it's favorites and they are not as easy to work with you when it comes to scheduling as you might think. They have a total disregard for people that have kids. They will write you up for the littlest thing even if you are one of the best workers there plus there is a lot of fake people in this place especially management.
Pros
Free meals, Medical, Dental, vacation time, sick days, 401k and Location
Cons
Management and hours
Don't work here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2016
Terrible management and job environment. You will go above and beyond and no one will recognize your effort. There are certain people that they have higher expectations for because they have a better work ethic. However, everything is expected from those few people and the rest of the employees are allowed to slack because..well that's just what they do all the time. Management does not take the initiative to try and ask more of the people that are slacking. There was a manager that breached my privacy and they failed to fire her even though what she did was completely illegal. What was done to me at this job was not only illegal but more importantly..immoral. This place completely traumatized me and they did nothing about it. If you have any regard for your well-being I highly suggest you don't work here.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
management, short breaks, slow register system
Fun and educational
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  200 5th AvenueDecember 21, 2016
Great place to work and learn I learned a lot about healthy and organic eating . Great people to work with and management really works with you my manger Dane was amazing
I suggest part time
Cashier/Demo Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2016
Nice place to work and learn more about different types of Italian foods. I enjoyed the staff classes and working with some of the people, it's a little over whelming but once you get used to the location it become second nature.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Unorganized
Overall a great place to work.
Head Hostess/Receptonist/Server (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
I've been working for Eataly for about 4 years now. Overall I do not have any negative reviews or experiences to write about. My co-workers were the best part about working there. I have created long term relationships with most of them. My first hospitality job and I've learned so much about myself and the field. The most enjoyable part about my job is the interactions I have on a daily bases with new people. I get to put my people skills to work everyday.
Pros
knowledge about food and drinks.
Cons
inexperience managment.
eatly
Cashier/Retailer/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2017
i worked as a Cashier i also did Food prep,Worked different stations,train different workers and also made sure every area i worked was clean an fully restocked
Pros
great co workers
Cons
short hours
Eat better live better
Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2016
Great place to work depending on department. Co-workers are efficient, bosses are understanding, customers were pleased. Can improve with work division between employees but the job got done.
An ok place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Upper management promotes staff into management based upon favoritism and not their ability to manage. During the time I have been here, we have lost great managers/ leaders and have been replaced with sub par replacements. The store lacks direction from upper management because they have no idea what they are doing
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Upper management and the lack of hospitality direction
Worst produce manager ever
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 20, 2015
Worse job I have ever had in produce. Manager was disrespectful. If you want a stressful work environment I don't recommend Eataly
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management sucks
Very Cultural Environment
Manager/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2012
I enjoy working at Eataly because of learning a lot about the Italian culture. I truly enjoy working with my coworkers, we are definitely a team. The best part of working there is all the different type of people I meet on a daily basis.
Pros
free lunches, great experience
Cons
no benefits
highly recomended for starting line cooks to enhance skills and career goals.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
i loved the atmosphere the chefs and the way you learn more then just cooking the menu items they teach of the origins of many foods and the culture.
Pros
free lunches friendly enviornment
Very open place great for growing in the business
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 23, 2016
Working for this company was a little overwhelming but one thing I loved about it was that the customers were very understanding, patient even tho the lines were almost out the door they knew that the business was great. Even when frustraded everyone always had a great time and smile on their faces which made the days of work better.
Pros
lunch time not only was it free but it was to die for they alwasy did the best lunch
Cons
Night shifts didnt get to have that kind of lunch
poor management
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2016
trash- poor management, work life on jeopardy always, co-workers are straight out of jail, always pay me late, unorganized schedules for staff
new company needs time to work out kinks
food prep (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2016
Chefs are very hard to communicate with, most everyone else go with the flow New York mentality not everyone on same page
Pros
generaly nice people to work for
Cons
not consisante
straight disrespectful when it comes to what you need from them...
cashier, foh (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2015
You will put in all the work you can . Work overtime for them come in when they need you to and when you need the day off its a straight no, or they Will think on it. I started off there when they first opened up and it was a experience you thought was once in a lifetime. They make you think That you have hope there and that you would be with the company for a long time. But they will let you go because they have there favorites . And the people you suppose to trust which is HR they are the biggest snakes in the store unless your sucking up prepare to be fired.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
Was a good place at first.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New YorkNovember 2, 2013
When I started working there it was a great experience but obviously everything starts off like that. Management isn't understanding full of nonsene actually. A lot of favoritism going on in the company minus the free food that looks like scraps of food actually not like what they serve the customers.Some customers act very snobby because they think they have money and you are suppose to answers to all their needs.
Pros
Gained experience about Italy's culture
Cons
short breaks, horrible management, favortism
Not career material.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2013
Honestly, it is a fun place at first. You learn about food and the italian culture. But the place is like a high school. I know people who have degrees in culinary and get treated poorly. It is not a place you can work your way up quickly. You have to basically slave there for some time to get a promotion. Some of the co-workers are awesome folk though. My department managers are pretty good too, always flexible.
Pros
classes on products
Cons
healthcare, Discount
Working at eataly
Salumi / Formaggi Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2012
If you love to be around people and theres noise and laughing and merriment every night. Then this is the place for you!! I worked at the cured meat and cheese counter. ( Or the salummi and formaggi counter if youre italian ) and people really love the idea of buying fine cured meats and cheese primarily from italy. You get a sense of culture and attention to detail at eataly. The rest of the market is a feast as well. Desserts. Pizza. Even things for veggie lovers. All under one roof. One visit and you'll want to bring friends and family back I guarantee it!!
Pros
free lunch from the kitchen
Cons
too short of a break for such a busy place
Good company
Garde Manger/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2015
Eataly was an exciting place to work until my 50 hours a week caught up with me also while being in school full time. I ask to receive part time hours but my manager said he didn't need me just part time so unfortunately I had to part ways because of management.
Pros
good hours
Cons
no manger communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eataly. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8