Eataly Employee Reviews in United States

An ok place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Upper management promotes staff into management based upon favoritism and not their ability to manage. During the time I have been here, we have lost great managers/ leaders and have been replaced with sub par replacements. The store lacks direction from upper management because they have no idea what they are doing
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Upper management and the lack of hospitality direction
Don't work here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2016
Terrible management and job environment. You will go above and beyond and no one will recognize your effort. There are certain people that they have higher expectations for because they have a better work ethic. However, everything is expected from those few people and the rest of the employees are allowed to slack because..well that's just what they do all the time. Management does not take the initiative to try and ask more of the people that are slacking. There was a manager that breached my privacy and they failed to fire her even though what she did was completely illegal. What was done to me at this job was not only illegal but more importantly..immoral. This place completely traumatized me and they did nothing about it. If you have any regard for your well-being I highly suggest you don't work here.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
management, short breaks, slow register system
Very open place great for growing in the business
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 23, 2016
Working for this company was a little overwhelming but one thing I loved about it was that the customers were very understanding, patient even tho the lines were almost out the door they knew that the business was great. Even when frustraded everyone always had a great time and smile on their faces which made the days of work better.
Pros
lunch time not only was it free but it was to die for they alwasy did the best lunch
Cons
Night shifts didnt get to have that kind of lunch
highly recomended for starting line cooks to enhance skills and career goals.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
i loved the atmosphere the chefs and the way you learn more then just cooking the menu items they teach of the origins of many foods and the culture.
Pros
free lunches friendly enviornment
No Future in this Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2015
Eataly is a nice place to work at first but the longer you stay then you begin to realize that it is not the place that you want to move forward in long term. Management has it's favorites and they are not as easy to work with you when it comes to scheduling as you might think. They have a total disregard for people that have kids. They will write you up for the littlest thing even if you are one of the best workers there plus there is a lot of fake people in this place especially management.
Pros
Free meals, Medical, Dental, vacation time, sick days, 401k and Location
Cons
Management and hours
new company needs time to work out kinks
food prep (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2016
Chefs are very hard to communicate with, most everyone else go with the flow New York mentality not everyone on same page
Pros
generaly nice people to work for
Cons
not consisante
poor management
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2016
trash- poor management, work life on jeopardy always, co-workers are straight out of jail, always pay me late, unorganized schedules for staff
Good company
Garde Manger/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2015
Eataly was an exciting place to work until my 50 hours a week caught up with me also while being in school full time. I ask to receive part time hours but my manager said he didn't need me just part time so unfortunately I had to part ways because of management.
Pros
good hours
Cons
no manger communication
It was a brand new store, so there was a lot of people trying to advance their positions
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2015
The job was challenging, but exciting. I learned something new everyday; and since latte art was something that was brand new to me, I focused hard on perfecting the different designs. They really emphasized customer service as well, pushing us to go above and beyond our "typical" duties to please the guest.
Worst produce manager ever
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  ChicagoAugust 20, 2015
Worse job I have ever had in produce. Manager was disrespectful. If you want a stressful work environment I don't recommend Eataly
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management sucks
straight disrespectful when it comes to what you need from them...
cashier, foh (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2015
You will put in all the work you can . Work overtime for them come in when they need you to and when you need the day off its a straight no, or they Will think on it. I started off there when they first opened up and it was a experience you thought was once in a lifetime. They make you think That you have hope there and that you would be with the company for a long time. But they will let you go because they have there favorites . And the people you suppose to trust which is HR they are the biggest snakes in the store unless your sucking up prepare to be fired.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
Productive and fun active place
Supervisor/Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2015
It was a wonderful place to work at. A new experience and love every minute of it!! I loved making pasta everyday and using high tech Italian machines!! the hardest part of my job was managing all the different personalities in my staff.
Pros
got free pasta and discounts
Cons
young inexperienced staff
Terrible management
Busser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2015
You will go above and beyond for this place and will feel let down. They don't appreciate anything, they will overwork you! HR BLOWS! MANAGEMENT BLOWS!
Pros
Decent money
Cons
everything
Overworked and underapperiated
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2015
This is for someone in school or can deal with favoritism and being told something you not are .

You will not be appericative
Was a good place at first.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New YorkNovember 2, 2013
When I started working there it was a great experience but obviously everything starts off like that. Management isn't understanding full of nonsene actually. A lot of favoritism going on in the company minus the free food that looks like scraps of food actually not like what they serve the customers.Some customers act very snobby because they think they have money and you are suppose to answers to all their needs.
Pros
gained experience about italy's culture
Cons
short breaks, horrible management, favortism
Not career material.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2013
Honestly, it is a fun place at first. You learn about food and the italian culture. But the place is like a high school. I know people who have degrees in culinary and get treated poorly. It is not a place you can work your way up quickly. You have to basically slave there for some time to get a promotion. Some of the co-workers are awesome folk though. My department managers are pretty good too, always flexible.
Pros
classes on products
Cons
healthcare, discount
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2013
At this very high volume location, I sharpened my customer service expertise and enhanced my leadership skills. I learned how to be a better listener, and the value of reliability to my fellow co-workers. The hardest part of the position was NOT keeping a smile on my face. The customers and just the energetic atmosphere made my position here very enjoyable.
Easy work environment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2014
Eataly is a casual restaurant meets upscale market place. The concept is a cafeteria style restaurants where you can eat and then purchase what you ate to make at home. The restaurants include a seafood, vegetarian, pizza/pasta, and a meat focused all on the upper level. A more fine dining restaurant is located on the lower level called Baffo.
A new experience
Housekeeping/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2014
This was actually my first time working in a restaurant but it was enjoyable, working with different ethnic groups, different nationalities, it was extremely amazing, just not enough hours
Pros
free lunch
Cons
frequent breaks
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkMarch 8, 2012
The people I worked with were great everyone was really friendly, had the opportunity to work with real italians because they taught certain employees how to cook if they were in Italy, and I gained a lot of cultural knowledge.
Pros
gave classes, great people to work with, good discount
Cons
there weren't any

2.9