Eataly Employee Reviews

great
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 22, 2017
i enjoyed working there and the managers were great. this is a great job if your new to the working life. you will gained alot of experience. i recommend
Poor management, Minimal opportunity for growth
Wine Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2017
I was a retail employee for 9 months at Eataly Chicago. Management showed a pattern of disrespect for myself and my fellow employees within my department. Very political in their decision making on who could be promoted. Low wage, minimal benefits, severe lack of recognition for hard work.
Pros
Free lunch and the occasional class at La Scuola
Cons
Little room for growth, no recognition of hard work
no coment
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2017
I love my job and the management is very good breacks are managble and free lunches are very good I love the schedule accomplish my job on time find time going by easy . Cleaning job has no hard time as long it is done acordenly with rules
Great place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
Eataly is a very cool place to work. Because it is retail as well a restaurant the hours can suck for some. For me it was a great experience, I was able to learn so much of the business, so much of Italy, so much of the food, wine, and cheese. I was responsible of a lot as facilities technician as it is constantly changing, evolving place.
Pros
Learn a culture, a region of the world and meet some great people
Cons
No raises, no evaluations.
Fun work place
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2017
Typical work day is fast paced and demanding. I learned great skills such as customer service. Management was helpful. I really enjoyed the wide array of people who walked through the store.
good first time food experience
Stocker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
I had fun working there and meeting people from different backgrounds, it's very diverse. I would suggest anyone that wants to try food service to start here
Pros
you get to try food
Cons
stay late and clean up
Fast paced environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2017
A day at the Pizza Pasta restaurant at Eataly was hectic. There were many rushes through out the day and there were often many upset customers. I learned through that to deal with people and work on my manner of approaching a disgruntled customer. The managers ran things as smoothly as they could and often had the staffs back if there was an issue with a customer. The staff was hard working and professional. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a constant flow of people for hours on end. The most enjoyable was learning about wines and tasting the new foods being offered on the menu.
Pros
We got to taste new dishes at pre shift and learned about wine tasting.
Cons
Low wages
great to learn and grow within the company
Stock Associate/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2017
Eataly is a work place that grew to feel like a family,they taught me so much within the company. My co-workers helped me to be the best grocery stocker that I can be. I love to work with the customers they are wonderful to be around.
Pros
free lunch, working downtown chicago, great eviroment
Cons
not enough pay, hard to move up in the company, not enough hours
Just your average retail job with overpriced wares and food
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2017
Typically dead during the Fall and Winter. Business picks up over the Summer and that's where people get most of their hours. Management is lacking in several departments also with communications of what sales are still going on and also terrible advertisement. Often prices aren't adjusted for sale items until the day of thus halting the faster pace needed to ring up guests efficiently. The most enjoyable thing was the staff classes which were free and pretty educational.
Pros
Healthcare plan, CTA Benefits program
Cons
Staff meal, discount, hours, pay
eatly
Cashier/Retailer/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2017
i worked as a Cashier i also did Food prep,Worked different stations,train different workers and also made sure every area i worked was clean an fully restocked
Pros
great co workers
Cons
short hours
I suggest part time
Cashier/Demo Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2016
Nice place to work and learn more about different types of Italian foods. I enjoyed the staff classes and working with some of the people, it's a little over whelming but once you get used to the location it become second nature.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Unorganized
Fun and educational
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  200 5th AvenueDecember 21, 2016
Great place to work and learn I learned a lot about healthy and organic eating . Great people to work with and management really works with you my manger Dane was amazing
Eat better live better
Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2016
Great place to work depending on department. Co-workers are efficient, bosses are understanding, customers were pleased. Can improve with work division between employees but the job got done.
Overall a great place to work.
Head Hostess/Receptonist/Server (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
I've been working for Eataly for about 4 years now. Overall I do not have any negative reviews or experiences to write about. My co-workers were the best part about working there. I have created long term relationships with most of them. My first hospitality job and I've learned so much about myself and the field. The most enjoyable part about my job is the interactions I have on a daily bases with new people. I get to put my people skills to work everyday.
Pros
knowledge about food and drinks.
Cons
inexperience managment.
Don't work here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2016
Terrible management and job environment. You will go above and beyond and no one will recognize your effort. There are certain people that they have higher expectations for because they have a better work ethic. However, everything is expected from those few people and the rest of the employees are allowed to slack because..well that's just what they do all the time. Management does not take the initiative to try and ask more of the people that are slacking. There was a manager that breached my privacy and they failed to fire her even though what she did was completely illegal. What was done to me at this job was not only illegal but more importantly..immoral. This place completely traumatized me and they did nothing about it. If you have any regard for your well-being I highly suggest you don't work here.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
management, short breaks, slow register system
An ok place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Upper management promotes staff into management based upon favoritism and not their ability to manage. During the time I have been here, we have lost great managers/ leaders and have been replaced with sub par replacements. The store lacks direction from upper management because they have no idea what they are doing
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Upper management and the lack of hospitality direction
new company needs time to work out kinks
food prep (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2016
Chefs are very hard to communicate with, most everyone else go with the flow New York mentality not everyone on same page
Pros
generaly nice people to work for
Cons
not consisante
highly recomended for starting line cooks to enhance skills and career goals.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
i loved the atmosphere the chefs and the way you learn more then just cooking the menu items they teach of the origins of many foods and the culture.
Pros
free lunches friendly enviornment
Very open place great for growing in the business
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 23, 2016
Working for this company was a little overwhelming but one thing I loved about it was that the customers were very understanding, patient even tho the lines were almost out the door they knew that the business was great. Even when frustraded everyone always had a great time and smile on their faces which made the days of work better.
Pros
lunch time not only was it free but it was to die for they alwasy did the best lunch
Cons
Night shifts didnt get to have that kind of lunch
poor management
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2016
trash- poor management, work life on jeopardy always, co-workers are straight out of jail, always pay me late, unorganized schedules for staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eataly. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9