Eataly Employee Reviews

low wage wlamart-like company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
they pay as low as possible, terrible gender gap in upper management, rampant harassment in the way of derogatory comments to and about female staff, purposely review staff with lower scores so they don't have to provide raises- first hand experience with this!!

And if you try to collectively argue with mangement they will simply fire everyone to prevent any kind of collective bargaining.

don't waste your time unless you are desperate for work.
Bad Management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2017
Overall, the place is a good place to learn from but as management goes it’s another story. They micromanage and dont have floor experience. Employees are left without help on the sales floor for long periods of time.
Pros
Free Lunch. Good place to learn about product. Good restaurants.
Cons
Management. Pay. Environment
a nice workplace
Busser (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
It was a friendly environment that provided free lunch for all employees daily and discounts through out the store, the work place had different varieties of different nationalities where we all came together and learn about one another, the management was great i learned how to work very efficiently.
Pros
friendly and organized
Cons
no career advancement
Corporate and organized, poor pay
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2017
The pay is not enough for the hours worked. The company is very organized and gives you the tools to the productive but pay is very low for the amount of work.
Eataly not a happy place
Guest Relations Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Management needs help. High turn over rates. People were horrible to work with. Movements and Growth not fast enough, Pay was weak. Oh did I mention Management needed help.
Eataly is a company that is only out for their profits and not for the employees really
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Easily has a few things going on for them but there is no communication, no chance for advancement in a position, and very little opportunity 4 evaluations and raises.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
You have to wait 2 to 3 months to get a review or even a raise
Productive and very busy atmosphere.
Pizza Maker/Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2017
average day: setup up stations, prepare ingredients, provide quality customer care. the most enjoyable part of the job is providint customers with the pizza they can have in town.
Pros
Family meal, and vacation time
Cons
sometimes poor management
Hostess (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2017
Working at Eataly has been a great learning experience. I've learned a lot about the Italian culture and food. From the way the prepare their meals to the different regions the food was ported from and the process of the aging of their cheeses and meats. Also the many different olive oils they make in Italy. I feel like the management could be better their are alot of things that could be improved. The most enjoyable part of the job is deal with the different customers from all around the world.
Pros
Family meal
Cons
Cut hours
Fun Place To Work,Great Learning Experience and You get treated With Respect.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 8, 2017
I really Like working there it's fast paced,everybody treats you with respect,theres alot of resources there
and learning experiences and also alot of room to grow.
Pros
free lunches, reasonable breaks, weekly pay
Cons
sometimes it's a little overwhelmng, some customers are rude.
Experience is valuable
Lead Bread Baker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
mot people will never cook anything inside or over wood burning. The experience of coking bread in a wood burning oven was cool. I also mastered my craft.
Fun, challenging, and vibrant place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Eataly. I found that Eataly, as a company, holds true to its promises - the mission statement, the ethics of the company, what they expect of the employees. I found that upper management was very hands-on in my department, always respectful, always wanting to help. Eataly is a place where, no matter your department, you can learn a lot. Eataly encourages feedback, and as a corporation really seems to want to make its employees lives easier and happier. We had occasional meetings within my department as well as full-store meetings, to take feedback and to prepare everybody for the months ahead.

I would definitely say that what department you're working in is a huge factor, as management and culture varies by department. Some managers are more competent than others. In addition to my own department, I had positive experiences with HR. Issues that were taken to HR were resolved quickly. All the people I worked with and were acquainted with at Eataly were helpful, respectful, and open-minded. Eataly is a company that promotes inclusivity, and they hire a lot of people from the LGBTQIA community. I didn't encounter any discrimination during my time there!

I would say the most enjoyable part of working there was learning about the products, and speaking with the customers. There were a lot of snobby, rude customers, certainly - but what makes Eataly unique is that it's truly an EXPERIENCE for the customer, and I encountered a lot of really bubbly, excited customers who were just happy to be there and having fun. So that felt really rewarding.

The
  more... management for my department was really great - accommodating, listened to feedback, not demanding, always wanting to help. I felt cared-for and listened-to by my managers. There wasn't a lot of drama in my department, and when there was, it was dealt with quickly. Eataly also encourages internal advancement with regard to its employees, so there are a lot of opportunities to advance into other departments, if you'd like. Eataly truly is a company that you can grow with!  less
Pros
Paid fairly, Management understanding and kind, my department ran smoothly, issues addressed immediately, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Not a lot of training in most depts, not enough hours during slow periods
Great co-workers, Poor advacement&pay, Poor management
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2017
Worked at Eataly as line cook. Chefs don't promote within. Unless you're a "buddy" to management. You won't see a black/Hispanic chef/sous. Chefs are inconsistent.
Pros
benefits, location, co-workers
Cons
Dont promote hardworking staff. No black or hispanic chefs/sous. No consistency of training.
Great place to work, just look for advancement yourself.
BUSSER-RUNNER-BARBACK (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 13, 2017
Eataly was a blast to work at, all the folks there are friendly and willing to help out newer employees. Management could use some work but everything else is great.
Great employees, bad management
Guest Relations Ambassador (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2017
I've learned a lot while working at Eataly however, there was not a lot of advancement opportunities for the staff. Overall management was incompetent and often times did questionable decisions.
Great
SOUS CHEF (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2017
Fun place to work, everyday is different. Challenging yourself is what you have to do to succeed here. A lot of competition between chefs and coworkers.
flatiron host
Hostess (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2017
Pizza/Pasta is a busy, confusing, fast paced restaurant, and if you don't know that when you apply, I don't know what to tell you. In regards to the job, I was promised things that they were not in the position to offer me. The pay is terrible, NO ONE CAN LIVE OFF WHAT THEY PAY. They make blanket statements about not being able to move up, and when management feels like being involved they do. They also don't treat their hard working people right. I was so excited to work there, and was sorely disappointed.
Pros
looks good on a resume
Cons
pay, work environment, management works when they want to
great
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 22, 2017
i enjoyed working there and the managers were great. this is a great job if your new to the working life. you will gained alot of experience. i recommend
Poor management, Minimal opportunity for growth
Wine Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2017
I was a retail employee for 9 months at Eataly Chicago. Management showed a pattern of disrespect for myself and my fellow employees within my department. Very political in their decision making on who could be promoted. Low wage, minimal benefits, severe lack of recognition for hard work.
Pros
Free lunch and the occasional class at La Scuola
Cons
Little room for growth, no recognition of hard work
no coment
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2017
I love my job and the management is very good breacks are managble and free lunches are very good I love the schedule accomplish my job on time find time going by easy . Cleaning job has no hard time as long it is done acordenly with rules
Great place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
Eataly is a very cool place to work. Because it is retail as well a restaurant the hours can suck for some. For me it was a great experience, I was able to learn so much of the business, so much of Italy, so much of the food, wine, and cheese. I was responsible of a lot as facilities technician as it is constantly changing, evolving place.
Pros
Learn a culture, a region of the world and meet some great people
Cons
No raises, no evaluations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eataly. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8