EBSCO INFORMATION SERVICES Employee Reviews

Aggresive sales company
Sr. Academic Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MAApril 11, 2017
Good company to work for.
Work hard, get paid well.
Innovative and forward thinking.
Much travel and undying dedication required.
Once had amazing award trips, but those have gone the way of "pay for it yourself, we'll book the trip".
Low pay for sales staff
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MAMarch 6, 2017
The commission structure for sales staff is poor. Only paid on growth, so one big loss can ruin your year. Library budgets are volatile and come cuts are unavoidable, so the fact that you are only paid on new business after taking into account cuts is pretty bad. It also takes forever to get paid. Base salary is very low. Too much emphasis on call numbers, etc. You feel like you have a constant babysitter. Any professional should be able to plan their strategy without someone looking over their shoulder at their number of calls. Great for entry level sales but if you have experience you should look at a company with a more mature compensation plan.
Pros
Cafeteria, gym
Cons
Compensation, managers with no managerial experience
Nice work environment - Team leads not sufficient
A/R REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 14, 2017
The overall work environment was busy and could be very hectic. Team leads were overworked and not very friendly, esp. to new employees that were just out of training.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay
Cons
Poor team lead leadership
Excellent organization
Regional Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 14, 2016
An impressive company from top to bottom and everyone along to spectrum is committed to supplying superior database tools for education.
Pros
Great account bases
Cons
Weak boundaries for sales teams at time
Sweat shop with college educated employees
Book Shelver (Former Employee) –  Contoocook, NHAugust 11, 2016
You are evaluated based on the time it takes to complete a mundane, repetitive task. Fair enough but you have to sign in and out of each task using a convoluted multi-step formula. If you fail to follow the multi-step procedure, your "productivity report" is wrong. You have to use a different multi-step procedure to sign in and out for your 30 minute lunch. If you do not exactly complete the procedure, the "clock" is still running while you are at lunch.
Never saw management, only floor supervisors on a power trip reminding you about your "numbers".
Co-workers were great and helpful, however, if the pit boss saw you asking a co-worker for help, you were told no socializing during work.
Pros
Co-workers and the end of your shift
Cons
Pay, lack of benefits, the floor supervisor and the beginning of shift
Great team
Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 27, 2016
True professionalism! So refreshing to work with such a great group of people. We work hard but the flexibility and communication is fair and proactive.
Nice place to work
Director of sales (Former Employee) –  remote workerNovember 30, 2015
I ad a good experience at EBSCO while I was there. The search engine could use some refinement. Their discovery service is a great tool
Regretful
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MAAugust 10, 2015
Typical day was spent sifting through hundreds of emails. Everything gets done with an email and the threads are endless. If you cant manage large volumes of email and can't check 24 hours a day, save yourself the aggravation and pass.

I learned that dishonesty, 'convenient' management, poor management vision, and the 'good 'ol boy club' is alive and thriving in Ipswich, MA. If you can't pucker up, you can easily be ostracized and miserable.

Management is as unimaginable as any other company that lives by the 'good 'ol boy' rules. They demand long hours, constantly changing goals with no planning or thought, asking for more and more with less provided and setting unrealistic timelines.

Co-Workers are tightly tied to the management structure. It's all about who you know when it comes to getting things done.

The hardest part of the job was getting up every morning and doing what I loved to do. The company sucked the life right out of me.
Pros
Great commute, beautiful setting.
Cons
Everything else.
Comfortable and yet learning place to work
Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MAApril 15, 2015
Great culture, good work -life balance which is very important.Flexibility of working from home when needed is also a benefit.
Very busy working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tinton Falls, NJFebruary 17, 2015
Heavy daily contact with customers via Outlook. Trouble shooting customers online access issues and print orders. Management was very helpful with procedures that need to be accomplished. Co workers were fun and caring. Hardest part of the job is that I was bombarded with over 200 accounts on a daily basis/on a monetary value 2.5 to 3 million dollars worth of accounts. Clients are very needy and were not versed in the constant changes to the procedures the company was making every month.
Pros
health care
Cons
Too many clients on daily basis
Nice people but uninteresting products
UX Designer (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MAJanuary 26, 2014
People get hired and stay for years. Good work/life balance but eh work is not very interesting.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Not innovative
Commission structure needs to change
Field Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MAJanuary 15, 2014
Remote employees have a lot of flexibility; good work life balance. Bonus structure needs to change. Only paid on overall territory growth from year to year, while still being required to also maintain the current book at 100%.
Good people with good intentions, poor compensation
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MANovember 19, 2013
Middle management and co-workers are generally fun to work with, but there is serious lack of compensation (compared to industry standards) for many positions. Morale is low when many co-workers leave for similar, yet better compensated positions. The actual building amenities are great - gym and cafe are a huge plus, as is the location in Ipswich. But those things alone aren't enough to get people to stay. Employees feel like they are replaceable.
Pros
Gym, Cafe, Location, building, people are friendly
Cons
compensation
Miserable Atmosphere
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Ipswich MASeptember 12, 2013
Strange culture, anti social employees, "drink the Koolaid" company mentality, low salary is based on Alabama standards (where the mother company is based) moldy unhealthy old buildings. I have never worked for a more depressing company. I always felt I was working with personality lacking clones. Management changes the rules whenever it is to their benefit, endlessly presenting unrealistic goals. Low to zero morale was the standard in my department and while management realized this, they had no intention of addressing it. Customers have also grown very frustrated with EBSCO's products over the years, which is no surprise. If they only knew how the support teams were refusing to take responsibility for their urgent issues (not my job!) and passing the buck and continued back stabbing, I'm sure they'd take their business elsewhere, but that's difficult these days as EBSCO is doing all it can to gobble up it's competition. Do yourself a favor and pass on employment at EBSCO Publishing!
Pros
Good location, beautiful setting on the Ipswich River.
Cons
MANY: see below
Horrible, toxic, work environment
Senior Content Liaison (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MAAugust 28, 2013
Work environment was horrifying. The office politics and decisions being made on whether or not someone likes you are unethical and appalling. They have lots of great talent that is being under-utilized. The pay scale is extremely low for the location of the company.
Pros
great location, subsidized cafe, decent work-life balance for some teams
Cons
bad management, toxic work environment
friendly and professional atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 13, 2013
I loved the position of Customer service representative because i was always busy, my days always went by quickly and always felt I accomplished all my daily activities. I had lots of emails, calls and claims to be done.

Everyone was friendly.
Pros
we had paid holidays and vacations, work hours was perfect.
Cons
the economy affected us, so i would say the down sizing of offices.
Nice environment to work in. Holiday parties, annual company picnics, anniversary luncheon..etc.
Los Angeles, CA (Current Employee) –  Operations ManagerNovember 4, 2011
I have spent a long tenure with EBSCO and I have nothing but good things to say. I was treated fairly, still am, was appreciated and my skills were acknolwedged and therefore was promoted and held in high regards.