EBSCO Publishing Employee Reviews

A leading information aggregator serving academic, public, K12 and corporate libraries
Director of Corporate Sales (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 6, 2015
The EBSCO products offer a large amount of news information. The challenge at EBSCO was the main search engine, EBSCOhost was weak for the corporate market. Additionally they had many embargoes placed on them by their publisher partners.
Pros
Web services, marketing, customer support
Cons
compensation; embargoes, search engine
Good place to work part time
Medical Writer (Independent Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 4, 2014
Good place to work part time, flexible schedule. I work part time depending on the assignments given and what is available. It is a good company to keep one's editing and research and writing skills up to par. The web site does go down, still working out the bugs regarding but aside from that a really good supportive staff at least for a company where the majority of the writers are working remotely from their respective cities.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
remote work - web site goes down
I create my own time constraints
FREELANCE CONTRACT WRITER (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MAJanuary 6, 2014
-Writing Book summaries
-I've learned how to format summaries
-Good management
-No co-workers
-Staying at 3,500 words
-Learning from the book I'm reading
Pros
freelance
Cons
not paid on regular basis
Sink or swim environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MADecember 6, 2013
If you thrive on a sink or swim environment, this is the place for you.
Not enough personalized training for the job but worked with a lot of nice people
Technical Coordinator - Image Processing (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MANovember 26, 2013
I wouldn't want to go back there but am thankful for the experience.
Good Coworkers, onsite gym, free coffee and a wonderful cafeteria. Great location.
SERIALS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MAOctober 31, 2013
Spent the day cultivating relationships with publishers via email and telephone around the world, which could be very interesting.

Learned a lot about data.

Management ran the gamut from really great to 'why on earth is this person in management'?

Hardest part of job could be trying to manage priorities. Advancement opportunities a bit slim. Benefits are okay, could be better but could certainly be worse. Pay scale and benefits are tailored to company headquarters in Alabama, cost of living in MA is not quite the same.

Most enjoyable part of the job? Great coworkers and publishers.
Pros
free coffee, off beat perks like annual sundae fest, discounts to local companies. great location on the river.
Cons
a lot of upheaval in management.
Miserable Atmosphere
Customer Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MAAugust 30, 2013
Strange culture, anti social employees, "drink the Koolaid" company mentality, low salary is based on Alabama standards (where the mother company is based) moldy unhealthy old buildings. I have never worked for a more depressing company. I always felt I was working with personality lacking clones. Management changes the rules whenever it's to their benefit, endlessly presenting unrealistic goals. Low to zero morale was the standard in my department and while management realized this, they had no intention of addressing it. Customers have also grown very frustrated with EBSCO's products over the years, which is no surprise. If they only knew how the support teams were refusing to take responsibility for their urgent issues (not my job!) and passing the buck and endless back stabbing, I'm sure they'd take their business elsewhere, but that's difficult these days as EBSCO is doing all it can to gobble up it's competition. Do yourself a favor and pass on employment at EBSCO Publishing! (Run !)

Advice to Senior Management – Focus on and refine your present products before developing more and more and more.....
Pros
good location, beautiful setting on the ipswich river.
Cons
managent watches everthing and discourages inter employee conversation. not kidding!
Great patient focused publication organization
Health Library Medical Editor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2013
Good editorial staff, highest ethical principles for contents validity and accuracy.
It was fun working at Ebsco
WEB UI DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 29, 2013
I worked as a Web UI Designer where I was involved in creating Style guides and providing User experience inputs on the upcoming e-host profile.
Productive and fun
Software Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MAFebruary 9, 2013
Typical day starts with iced tea.
Learned development i n C++ and XSLT
Faced good challenged and overcomed them
Had very excellent mentor.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
break allowed
Productive and fun place to work
Serials Coordinator / Image Processor (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MAFebruary 4, 2013
I really enjoyed my time at EBSCO Publishing, and would have stayed there, had I not had the chance to pursue a degree. The atmosphere is fun and casual, yet very productive. Departments work very well together, and put out great products. The company has produced growth, despite economic recession. The company values green technology and initiatives. The company also is very supportive of the surrounding community. A great place to work, if you can get your foot in the door.
Pros
on-site restaurant and gym, green company, yearly company outing, generally casual dress.
Cons
takes forever for hr to review applications.
Works for some ... not for me
Sales (Current Employee) –  USAJune 15, 2012
They expect a lot and the goals are constantly changing. Do NOTHING long enough and you will be on course more than you are off. If that's the kind of life you want - EBSCO has a lot to offer in longevity. If you want more focus and higher values and ethics - it may be that some aspects of the job will challenge your beliefs ... others will break them.
Pros
free car
Cons
never on the same page with anyone else
Great MA company to work for
Editorial Intern (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, MAApril 17, 2012
Experience here within the editorial operations of the company. I greatly enjoyed the enthusiastic and youthful energy of the company, they put a lot into their employees.

Comment – August 22, 2012

I suspect this review was submitted by someone in the HR department. Paleese !!!!!!