EC Company Employee Reviews

Company was ok
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 13, 2017
EC was a good company over all just in the middle of management changes and was layed off, Yes I would go back to work at EC good people good City.

Nothing else I can say about EC
Pros
Large Company
Cons
To many Chiefs
Solid Environment
Inside Sales and Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 8, 2017
Great Proud Company History. A Good Team Environment. Very Professional. Enjoyed my time at EC on two separate occasions. worked there in mid 90's for 3 years came back in 2000 and stayed for 6 more years.
Pros
Solid Company
I loved my immediate boss.
Journeyman & Foreman (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 11, 2017
An overall good place to work. They are one of the largest Electrical Contractors in the area. They are a Union shop. They have pretty good resources.
Pros
I loved the team that i was on.
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 6, 2017
The Good
So this company has had a lot of changes in the last couple of years. They have been doing their best to update process, engage employees, and build a great company for the future. The Company has been around for 70 years so I doubt it is going anywhere and they are one of the best electrical companies in the Portland market. There are still a lot of things that need to be addressed, but for someone that is hard working, talented, and a go getter - there is going to be some great opportunities for advancement as Baby Boomers retire or sooner. The new president has been there for a few years now and really cares about the people and the organization as a whole. He always has an open door. Also, the company has great health benefits.

The Bad
There are still things that need to be updated within the organization and like anything it takes work. They are still working on putting the right people in the right positions. Like anywhere it isn't always perfect. Wages are getting closer to market value, but still a little ways to go. They also need to do more training for employees so that they can keep up with the changes.

The Ugly,
Okay, parts of the office are nice, but this place has been added to and added to. Also, some of the decor is blank white walls with no updating and the cleaners need to be canned (hopefully they will be.) as it could be cleaner. There are some people there that I am not sure what they do and how they are employed, but I think they are working on getting to the bottom of those situations as well.

Other than that there is one
  more... individual that has worked there for 50+ years and a lot of other long standing employees. Overall a really good place to work and might even eventually be a great place to work in the very near future.  less
Pros
Health Benefits, Flexibility, Fast Paced, Good Employees, VP & President Helplful
Cons
Training, Office Style Decor, & Cleanliness
EC Company
Service Administrator & Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 19, 2016
EC Company was a great learning opportunity for me. I was able to work close with the field employees, middle and upper management.
I started in the payroll Department, keeping records of hours billed into specific jobs. I also helped out in the A/P & A/R Depts. Then I was promoted to the Safety Department, Service Department, Parts Department.
I really enjoyed this working Experience.
Pros
Safety Bonuses
Cons
Good company to work for. most of the employees were hard working good people
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 10, 2016
it was a good company to work for. i enjoyed my job and working with the electrical crews and foreman. its a stable company
Pros
stable company
Cons
productive and fun place to work
Electrical contracting and retail sales (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 16, 2015
I learned a lot in a new position and had a lot of help from other people in my department. A great team environment.

The controller was great to work with and created a good team environment with regular communication, etc.

My coworkers were great to work with and everyone was very helpful
Pros
8-5 work day
Cons
lower pay compared to the market
It is just a place to work
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Portland OregonAugust 18, 2015
The typical day is busy. Depends on who you work with and what you do. Management is old school though some do provide the knowledge to help you when needed. Most co-workers are supportive but like any company you have the "mean" club where those co-workers are not there to help you in any way. Hardest part about the job is the constant interruptions from supervisors and co-workers. The best part about the job was every day you learn something new and when a project was completed you feel very successful. Company has good benefits, vacation and PTO, other than that some supervisors are terrible to co-workers when time is needed off. Not real family orientated unless you are on the upper food chain. Also what's good for one is not good for all. Nothing is consistent when it comes to rules in the work place. Fun part about it is you might be a major player in the project but you are just a low level employee to those in the upper positions. All in all it was ok to work for them. Again just depends on who you are and what your job is.
Benefits
Cons
Pay/Acknowledgement/Promotions(none)
good company
Electrical Estimator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 10, 2015
Good company, great co-workers, good benefits. Work hours 7-4. Work in cubicles. Gladly worked overtime to get jobs completed and accurate, and submitted on time.
A good company to work for.
Journeyman Inside Wireman (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 7, 2015
The company cares about the welfare of each employee. The day starts with stretch & flex to insure each employee is warmed up and ready the start the days work. A review of the work to be accomplished for the day is discussed, and any safety issues and procedures are reviewed to keep workers safe.
Pros
Concern for employee safety.
A good enviroment to work
LV Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2015
Installing low voltage systems including HVAC controls a wide variety of skill, the labels may be the same but how you achieve are very different. To estimate, supervise, attend construction meetings and developing schedules does make this job very challenging.This makes me very open minded as I do my job. On any typical day is a new learning day. Working with my coworkers and apprentices is very enjoyable, most employees gets along and very eager to assist on any given problems. The hardest part of the job is to be able to get all projects done in the limited amount of time, as multiple jobs going on at the same time and completion dates would be the same.
The most enjoyable part of the job is every morning going to work as I would be working with coworkers and very diverse set of people.
Pros
employer does take care of there employees
Cons
maintaining year around work
EC Power Systems has HIGH turnover due to poor management
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 29, 2014
After being at this company for a long time and realizing that the management always throws what goes wrong on the people below them and will never stand up for their employees, and when they do something wrong they will not admit it and blame it on their office people. The management will talk bad about you to the technicians and then the technicians will tell you what they say but then the management comes to you and says bad things about the technicians. It is just one HUGE soap opera. They say Days of EC Company lives? It is really sad if you come up with a good idea they shoot it down but then later about a month later they come up with the same idea and they take credit for it? Really? I am just glad I got out of there. If you are applying for a dispatcher job know they have a HUGE turnover there, because they want you to do a 18 hr a day job in 8 hrs which will never happen. Just beware that the management will be nice at the start but then a short time later they will throw you under the bus and I mean fast. They will even cuss you out in front of your coworkers. Which is totally unprofessional they need to take you aside and have things you are doing wrong behind closed doors. Unless management changes the high turnover will keep happening.
Benefits
Challenging work environment.
Inside Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORJanuary 17, 2014
As a second year apprentice for the union, I was tasked to do most of the manual labor. I often experienced unhealthy and extraneous working conditions. Having to deal with the trades was challenging coming from a fortune 500 tech company. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my work completed.
Pros
Pay and job security
Cons
Commute and depolorable work conditions
Very family oriented company. Always safety first.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  HillsboroJanuary 8, 2013
This is the best company I have worked for so far. They are very concerned about safety over anything else. I felt appreciated and loved staying busy and productive where I worked. The people I worked with were great, you didn't hear people complain a whole lot. The best part about working for them was staying busy and feeling good about the work I did. I worked very hard and felt like I really EARNED my pay.
Struggling Office
Low Voltage Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 26, 2012
With the lack of clear goals, defined expectations and erratic managment, this branch will struggle to remain viable for corporate.