ECCA (EyeMasters, Binyon''s Visonworks...) Employee Reviews

Upper management is terrible
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 18, 2017
This is typical for retail outlets- on the store level it was fine, but the ridiculous demands of the higher ups made life difficult to impossible. Quotas that make no sense, labor budgets that were unrealistic. Forced overtime for salaried workers.
Fast paced
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 26, 2017
If you work hard you can move up. But the pay is not where it should be. Lots of turn around. Proper employee training is lacking. Fast paced. Its fun but, stressful at times. Optical products are not the best. If your lucky you'll get a good manager.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low pay, stressful
Optical Setting
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 22, 2017
You will be asked to meet goals that are unrealistic and if those goals are not met your pay will be affected. I'm sure this is the way all optical chains operate but if you have the knowledge in optics I would look into going private.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Good because of the fellow employees
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHMay 22, 2017
I enjoyed working here not because of the company's management, but because of the employees I worked side by side. The hour and pay were fair. The room for advancement was available too.
Enjoyed the patients, staff.
Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2017
Patients would sign in. An optician would then call the patients name. We would them assist the patient in frame selection based the customers lifestyle, and frame preference. Then if patient has insurance we verify the insurance. Then we would recommend products based on patients needs and doctors recommendations.
Pros
Enjoyed staff and the patients.
Cons
Unstable management
Great experience, but not a supportive work environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 21, 2017
Management was expected to work every weekend and unable to take 2 days off in a row. Difficult to every feel rested. No financial or accolades for completing stretch projects.

No comradery for the market leaders because it didn't stem from leadership at the top.
Pros
Great experience in sales, various locations nationwide
Cons
Low salary
bad place
Eyewear Specialist Third Key, Eyemasters (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2017
Bad management, bad people bad culture. It's retail but run like a factory. I in no way recommend working here. I would even recommend shopping there. .
Easy place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2016
Not very stressful as long as you take the time to learn the job and the different aspects of eyewear selection. Assisting someone with their eyewear purchase can be fun if approached with the right frame of mind.
Nice place to work
O. D. Tech (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 11, 2016
Busy Busy everyday until closing. At least the staff was able to learn new techniques from different doctors. The staff also met quite a few different people from all culture, and lifestyles.
Pros
One hour for lunch
Cons
Too many changes in Management
Teamwork is present here.
Licensed dispensing Optician (Current Employee) –  VisionworksApril 22, 2015
I enjoy the professional atmosphere, from our customer seeing the Doctor to the sales floor helping customer choose the right frame for him or her and the best lens choices for their Rx. I make sure the customer knows what type of lens treaments we have like non glare, transitions , polaroid lenses and digital Progressives.
The hardest part of my job are the complicated insurance plans which I would hope they can put the plan on their card. I like interacting with the customers to have fun picking out their glasses.
Pros
We get personal days off with pay
Cons
Working night shifts and on Sundays
Lab Manager
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Meadows Lane at Meadows MallApril 9, 2015
I am rehire able for every job I've worked. I was never fired or asked to resign.Working for ECCA , I was required to work 45-50 hrs.(salary).I cut prescriptions into Eye wear. Maintenance, repair,and calibration of All machines in the lab. I was responsible for ordering lens stock and parts for all preventative maintenance on The Entire Lab.
I had 2 great lab techs that were great at attendance and performance.. The most enjoyable part was that I knew everything there is to know about Optics Vision Correctness and maintaining my machines, my crew, and my productivity.It was a fast pace job , but to me it was hardly like work at all.
Hardest part about leaving was to become a full time Dad. I knew back then it would be difficult to get back in Optics and decided not to go back into it.
Pros
Free Eyewear, 2 pairs yearly.
Cons
That I no longer work there.
fastpaced work invironment great coworkers
Optician/Retail Mgr (Former Employee) –  glendale azMarch 17, 2015
Working with this Company was enjoyable. The coworkers were hard workers who cared about the outcome of their customer care. The hardest part of this job was sending a patient away without their product due to delays in shipments or being out of their products.
Fun place to work, terrible hours
Licensed Dispensing Optician, Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hts, OHFebruary 1, 2015
The optical business pays pretty well. The most difficult part are the hours. Evenings and weekends and holidays are required as this is more of a retail position.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
the hours are terrible
Great place to work and thrive in a competitive environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 10, 2015
Eyemasters really thrived on proactive coaching, positive reinforcement, and setting smart goals for yourselves, while creating a structured training environment.
fast paced place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 9, 2014
No management in place while I worked there, I assumed the role of the store manager without monetary compensation by the company. When the position finally became available it was not given to me. Great learning experience but not many advancement opportunties.
Pros
great pay plus commission
Cons
poor hours
Great place to learn the basics of optics.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 24, 2014
Produce eye wear in a timely manner. Troubleshoot any existing problems with glasses and different optical equipment. Check quality of all eye wear including work that comes from the specialty lab. Check due dates and status of all work in progress. Met job per hour requirements, sometimes exceeding requirement level. Kept lens and frame breakage low.
Pros
Good place to expand knowledge of lab.
Cons
Not enough areas to expand career.
Fun place to work
Lab Technician and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2014
If you are young and are looking for a job that will let you interact with the public this is a good one to have.
no support in sells will take your sells mangement fires everyone
Manager/Sales/Training Staff (Former Employee) –  wallisville /bwayFebruary 3, 2014
start the day with sales learning the product sellgetting infor for insurance finding glasses to fit the face for coustmers cashier cleaning etc
Pros
nnone
Cons
no on going training
Great Job
Optician/Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee) –  dallasJanuary 25, 2014
Good job i recommend for college kids starting out in the retail industry
Pros
good job
Cons
bad managers
Just another low end one hour optical company.
Lead Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 6, 2013
These one hour optical places have an upside down hierarchy. The stores and districts are all managed by sales oriented managers that have no idea what they are talking about. The lab employees are the strength of this company and the sales team has poor overall training. The AR products are cheap but charged quality prices. Overall if you have experience they will offer you money, but be prepared to put up with a lot of stress and hostile conditions at times.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, poor leadership