Eckerd Youth Alternatives Employee Reviews

Multi tasking work environment with Gratifying results
IT Support Technician (Contract) (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLMay 21, 2015
- Creating AD and Exchange Accounts for the high volume turnover of Case Managers that we support. Basic problems range from PW issues to Network connectivity to Office applications. We have just completed a 1200 unit Hardware refresh and are now involved in a the AD migration to one domain. The hardest part of the job is keeping everybody happy. The most enjoyable part is resolving the issues of the case managers so they can do their difficult job. This all accomplished while being at least 3 people under manned for the past year.
Love it!
Case Manager (Current Employee), CandorApril 20, 2015
Pros: Training
Cons: No comment
I love working at Eckerd. This is a job that keeps you on your toes. I love the team approach and the community environment.
Eckerd's Re-Entry Division no longer exists
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 20, 2015
Spent a lot of time with the juveniles at there schools and in their homes.
Excellent Company but Management Need Serious Training
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLNovember 19, 2014
Its a great company and I love everything they do and stand for, but the Supervisor are allowed to bully, humiliate and lie to employees and continually let good workers quit or get fired because upper management turns a blind eye to it and protects the supervisor and not the employee.
Fun place to work
Group Treatment Therapist (Current Employee), Brooksville, FLOctober 28, 2014
Pros: watching the children achieve their goals
Cons: little to no breaks and this company is always understaffed
Working with the children is always a plus; however room for advancement is limited
Eckerd
Youth Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee), Floral City, FLOctober 14, 2014
Pros: lasting relationships
Cons: no personal life
I enjoyed working with Eckerd, but wished they would have pushed to find other solutions to the working conditions. I believe more effort could have been put into finding a way to shift from 24 hour supervision so employees could have a personal life. The job itself, it very rewarding if you have a passion for working with at-risk youth and have the patience to handle stressful situations with youth. I have made lasting relationships with staff members and youth, but it is one of the hardest jobs I've ever had and probably ever will have.
Challenging but life changing experience.
Senior Counselor (Former Employee), Floral City, FLOctober 13, 2014
A typical day at work involved running the regular program schedule for kids and staff. I directly supervised the live-in youth counselors and supervised up to 40 kids in various activities. In addition to day-to-day activities, I created and planned educational and therapeutic sessions for the youth. I learned various counseling skills throughout my years at the job. I also discovered my passion for creative venues. The staff as a whole was by far the best part of the job. They become were my teachers, mentors, and family. The most difficult part of the job was the extensive hours along with the pay. It was difficult to enjoy life outside of work due to the limited time off. Fortunately the difficulties were often overcome with the meaning and purpose one finds working in such a place. Helping youth better their lives is a great thing!
Great Wilderness Program
Senior Outdoor Wilderness Counselor (Former Employee), Milton, FLOctober 9, 2014
If you love the outdoors and don't have family to contend with.. this is the job for you. It's a 24/7 job 5 days a week!
Great Working Environment
Wraparound Facilitator (Current Employee), Alexandria, LAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule, healthcare, benefits
Cons: traveling across seven parishes which is wear and tear on a vehicle
A typical day at work consists of contacting formal and informal supports for the families we serve. Daily meetings with the families take place to monitor progress of service providers and school officials. I have learned to make connections in the community to benefit the families. I have also learned how to review charts and paperwork as part of a quality committee. I have learned to train employees in the field in order for the new employees learn different techniques to help the families. Management is a major part of the position; the company ensures that management assist employees with anything they may need. The hardest part of the job is getting the families to connect with the services available and keeping the families engaged in the program. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting families who are willing to help there children. Another enjoyable part of the job is meeting outside entities in the schools and other agencies and make the necessary connections to benefit those in the different communities.
Brevard Office
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Cocoa, FLOctober 3, 2014
Pros: free field trips
Cons: temporary
I was only there as a temporary assistant. We tried to get me on board, but corporate said no. Aside from being temporary, this place was great. I love the management at the Brevard branch. Great place to work. I loved going on the field trips with the Super Kids.
Night Watchman
Full time night watch / non-commissioned S/O (Former Employee), Silver Springs, FLSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: being in the"outdoors".
Cons: dealing with snakes and bears.
Was a night watchman for a boys youth boot camp set up in a national forest under guidance of Juvenile Justice Dept. Performed security patrols and watch for three camps of twelve boys each while they slept. Did hourly bed checks of all camp inmates and watched for escape attempts.Kept radio communications with all other Night watchmen and supervisor. Wrote nightly report of any and all activities.
Hardest part of job was the lack of light allowed at these camps and dealing with the numerous black bears that would wander into camp. It was also difficult chasing down and dealing with escapees.
The most enjoyable part was that if you like the "outdoors" and " nature in your face" this was all of that.
Community Intervention Counselor (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCAugust 12, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: long work hours, have to use personal vehicle to transport clients and do home visits
Productive agency. Flexible work schedule. Love the population we serve. I enjoy working with at risk children and making a difference in their life. I have learned how to counsel a child using therapeutic crisis training.
Fun and energetic work environment.
Teacher/counselor (Current Employee), Boomer, NCAugust 6, 2014
Pros: fulfilling work
Cons: long hours and very low pay.
I wake the youths up at 6:30 am and begin our day of productive and effective communication. Working through a typical day we work together, the youths and myself, to better there environment, attain educational, pro-social and therapeutic goals. The day is often filled with laughter as well as guidance from me in a variety of areas. Our day typically ends together at 10:00 pm wherein I then go and talk about the days positives and negatives with co-staff. I work 4 days with the youths throughout the day and then am off 2 days a week. Long hours and days are traded for the second chance for a youth to change his life and in turn maybe the lives of his community.
I have learned throughout this time with this company that there are positive and negative ways of leading. The guidance of the staff at this facility is examples of a cohesive working environment in which both management and staff feel invested in the day to day work leaving both with a positive sense of pride as well as accomplishment. Always supporting your staff as well and effectively communicating with them leads the staff to a clear understanding of the work environment. The correction process should always be done separate from general staff so as to present a united front always.
The hardest part of my job is founded in the failure of the youth to successfully invest himself into the dynamics of the group as well as the positives to boundaries. It is often in these times that, as teacher, I feel as if have failed them the most; however the choices a person makes within their life will define them and no one but they can make those choices. The positives to this job are found within the successes that we see day to day within the youths we are working with; like a tree that began as a small seed I find true joy in seeing them grow from who they were to definers of pro-social choices.
Eckerd Youth Alternatives is a not for profit organization that provides positive behavior alternatives to at risk juveniles.
Transportation Worker/ Support Counselor (Former Employee), Fort Pierce, FLJuly 28, 2014
Pros: satisfaction, seeing a youths life take a positive turn.
Cons: dealing with difficult situations.
A day at Eckerds is full of challenges and rewards.

Staff is trained to try and change the lives of the youths they have been assigned, via mentoring and life skill training.
Case Management
Dependency Case Manager (Former Employee), Belle Glade, FLJune 25, 2014
I provided counseling services to individuals, families and/or groups. I develop and maintain clinical records and service documentation according to contract and agency standards (assessments, family service plans, progress notes, termination and discharge summaries, etc.). I testify in court as necessary. My co-worker was very helpful and knowledgeable. I love working with the children that was on my case load.
Worth the experience
Youth Counselor/ Acting English Teacher (Former Employee), Candor, NCMarch 4, 2014
Pros: free meals while on shift.
Cons: short breaks, cancel your social life.
I can assure you that this will be one of the most demanding positions that you will ever hold. The issues that you will face will not be corrected by uncovering complex algorithms or correcting a few lines of CSS commands, it will be corrected by your investment. Most sites have moved away from the “wilderness” idea which was consistent among all camps at one point. Now that camps have focused on becoming “residential,” you can imagine just how intense things were then. Although you will not be using canoes or hiking through the woods to make a fire at a campsite, you can quite possibly be hiking through the woods and on your feet for the majority of the day.
The benefits that you will come to realize are that you will first be addressing yourself. You will have a pretty good idea of what your breaking points are and the most resilient among us will push pass those breaking points. As someone that has spent the majority of his life in a northern city, I can assure you that spending over a year in the woods of North Carolina was quite the culture shock… ever season. All in all, as you learn about yourself you will become more equipped to address the needs of the guys around you. You will become family to one another, you will laugh, cry and even become disappointed with one another but you will forge relationships that will fill you up with rewards that few others can offer.
Interesting program
Reentry Counselor (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: good learning experience, excellent community service
Cons: very risky, poor safety in the area of work
-Involves a lot of commute
-Training is good
-Good team work
-Accessing dangerous neighborhood is very hard
-Enjoy the in-service training and learning oportunity
Lovely Work Place
Background Screening Analyst (Former Employee), Largo, FLJanuary 22, 2014
I learned alot while working at Eckerd I learned how to work as a team to get the job done and I truly enjoyed my time there.
It's ok
Kids Direct Data Specialist (Current Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 6, 2013
a typical day is like everyday. it's a very repetitive job. i enjoy the people i work for and i like what the company stands for. the hardest part about the job is the compensation is very low.
What I saw looks real good.
In Home Monitor (Current Employee), Spencer, IAOctober 25, 2013
I have had very good luck with this company when they have been in my home, the worker that works with my families is very down to earth and very professional.