Ecolab Employee Reviews in United States

Rural areas require more time than described
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Barboursville, WVFebruary 3, 2016
Not a good fit for me, bad management which I believe to be a culture. Great coworkers and reasonable work days. Management system is broken and the culture has been driven by the management team.
Pros
Good compensation, good benefits, some freedom of time management
Cons
Company culture
great location, nice office building, great management
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 8, 2015
Ecolab was a great company to work at. They have very professional management, and provided opportunity for individual growth and success.
I enjoyed working there with many different groups of people. Due to the size of the organization, there were many opportunities to interact with different departments and function as a team when required to get the job(s) done.
I would still be working there if I would not have had to relocate because of my husband's promotion, which required a move out of state.
Pros
nice offices, cafeteria on-site, on bus route, good benefits
Ecolab was a phenomenal company to work for in the 90's but things change.
DISTRICT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 27, 2015
New CEO and the management he put in place gradually started to change the overall focus from rewarding great employees for doing great work to forcing more and more work out of the same great employees for less money. Reducing benefits and bonuses and no longer looking to promote the experienced people doing things right, instead filling management positions based on non-relevant college degrees. The new management mentality focused only on the profit margins and stock prices and tried to force company changes without the real world knowledge of how the business works.
This adversely effected the field employees and their customers.
OK place to work.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Roscoe, ILMarch 6, 2016
Good place to work. Pay should definitely be higher for some positions and wage increases are minimal to say the least. Workplace culture is good. Health benefits are not the greatest but not horrible.
Pros
Co workers and supervisors are friendly. Production goals are attainable and fair.
Cons
Wages are not high enough
Poor Management Culture
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2016
If you don't care about getting divorced join this company. Work -Family time is horrible, they expect you to make your life all about Ecolab, they have been making all types of changes over the last 5 years with no clear direction because of the new upper Management has no clue of what is like to run a route. This Company is a revolving door in the Dallas area.
Benefits
Cons
No Family life, Horrible management.
Fun job
Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 30, 2016
Had a great time working with great customers and great co workers.
A change in management changed my focus and direction in the company. We had a monster of a DM that did not care about the co workers future in the company.

I wish the job had a more challenging sales structure where we can win bonuses.
Pros
Territory travel, great co workers, great life work balance
Cons
Terrible management, slow upward mobility
Regional Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 11, 2016
This was a great career and a nice place to work. The salary was good, the benefits were good and the people that I worked with were also great people. I enjoyed this career.
Challenging industry to work in
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 30, 2016
All calls are dispatched through an I-pad issued to employees, employees start their day from their home and travel to locations through out the specified area of coverage and in many cases beyond. I didn't learn anything new, company is still making the same mistakes as when I left the first time but it is a great company and I honestly mean that. Very large corporate structure not truly focused on good customer service as much as they portray. Management is ok. The hardest part of the job was juggling time frames and trying to cover your work as well as help younger inexperienced technicians when in trouble as everything was based upon time management and billing. The most enjoyable part of the day was quitting time.
Pros
benefits are descent
Cons
over managed operations
Route life is good at times
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 24, 2016
Management in the Orlando area are out of touch with to much on their plates, going weeks at a time not hearing from them, You call/text/email them with no response for days, And when you hear from them it's all about what they want not how are you doing today but it's go here do this forgot what you have planned to do on your own route . Management needs to change Routes are to big for some of us to provide proper customer service ""Wet the baseboards and run""
Pros
Days off, customers, pay is good
Cons
Routes needs to be smaller, DM and ADM need people skills
No typical in my Day
Northeast Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 23, 2016
There is no typical in Ecolab. Everyday has taught me something new, from how to handle a customer, to manage through processes and/or procedures, to working with co workers and outside divisions. I've worked at Ecolab for over 13 years and it has taught me a tremendous amount about myself, how to handle adversity and success and helped me understand how to manage a successful business. My co workers have been wonderful and supportive, management has allowed me to advance through company in different positions, teaching so much about how we go to market. The hardest part is that its such a big company, that you get lost in the shuffle. The company itself is so strong and has so many qualified people that moving toward my career goals can be slow moving.
Pros
Company resources - technical, marketing, promotional info, support
Cons
Huge company
Well balanced company to work for
Corporate Accounts Manager Latin America (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul Church, MNJune 25, 2016
It was a great experience for me to work at Ecolab, I learn many aspects of international business skills as well as Global Financial Engineering for a global company. They taught me about logistics, supply chain, multi country legal, tax, and international legal contracts, which enable me to grow professionally and able to apply those acquired talents into my own venture across several countries in Latin America.

It was a great 14 years, and I still be a shareholder of this company, I highly recommend this company to any applicant.
Pros
International Travel, worldwide view of the business
Cons
you must learn how to balance your life at Ecolab with your Family quality time.
Ecolab/Pureforce
Sales Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYDecember 4, 2015
Terrible work/life balance. Pureforce employees treated less than Ecolab employees. Although benefits are equivalent the pay is approximately 20,000 less. Trying to determine your commission is like trying to find a needle in a haystack and all stacked in their favor.
Pros
benefits...although expensive good
Cons
Nothing else
No personal life
Ecolabs Route Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 9, 2015
Company has great benefits. However their is no work life balance and the amount of work is overwhelming. Their expect to you to work all night and then go back on call at 3 p.m. I have not slept 8 hours a night since excepting this position. I would not recommend this job to anyone who is married as their is no time for family.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no work life balance
Excellent Company
Route Driver / Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 7, 2016
A scheduled route to visit customers, with the potential for emergency visits to other customers having issues.
How to sell customer goods and services and repair their dish washing machines. Education classes were provided to excel in this area.
Management was great and very supportive.
Coworker support was excellent.
Visiting all the daily scheduled customers when unscheduled customers were broke down. Often times this happened multiple times per day. With 80 customer locations in the routes 60 mile radius, this could be difficult.
Success in getting a customer repaired, supplied and back up and running.
Pros
Free lunches, route vehicle
Cons
prioritizing customer emergencies....who needs help the quickest.
Nice work environment.
IT Data Process Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 17, 2016
The people were nice to work with. And this might not necessarily be a comprehensive critique of the company as a whole because it's just from my perspective and my personal situation but it seemed like there wasn't much advancement opportunity there.
Pros
Friendly environment, good people.
Nightmare....stay away!
pureforce s.s.r.m. (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 4, 2015
I honestly think the positive reviews are submitted by the company to rope you in:
You are on call 24-7, and you will get calls 24-7.
You have to work weekends for free.
You will be held accountable for sales, when service stands In Your way all day long.
Management is a joke, all the do is assign blame to lowest level and demand more.
Training is horrible compared to what you actually need to know.
They take money out of your paychecks when customers dont pay...there are always customers that do not pay.
You are on your own, at all times.
Company always believes customers over employees, and the customers know that.
Promotions always come from other divisions or companies...no advancement.
When someone quits, you have to do thier work on top of yours.
Constantly changing expectations.
For what you do, pay sucks.
I didn't believe the negative reviews when I started......THEY ARE ALL TRUE.
Pros
good money temporarilly if you have no other choice, hard to get fired because it is hard for them to get employees .
Cons
everything
SELL. SELL. SELL. If you can sell and don't mind being on call. It can be a good job.
Installation specialist (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 9, 2016
ECOLAB is a sells company that sells chemicals to commerical accounts. In all areas that need cleaning chemicals. Good company to sell for the more you sell the more you make. The golden days of being able to make 6% for the life of an account that you sold are gone. But I enjoyed the time I was there. Get a company car, accounts will feed you if they like you. If you have a good DM like i did, makes the job better. Being on call is not so bad if you know how to manage the calls. When I took over my route it had not been maintained was getting 7 calls a day, got it under control and went to 3 a week. Weekend on call once a month was not bad. Should pay better for it though. If you can sell it is a good company to work for. But you got to make your numbers.
Pros
Get fed buy accounts. vacation, good money.
Cons
on call, lot of driving around, SELL. SELL. SELL.
Horrible Management
Sr. Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 17, 2015
Great Company but the management in my District was horrible . I never got paid for a lot of work I done because my District Manager would never turn in my commissions. On call rotation was 1 ever 4 weeks and the coverage area was rediculas . Alot of favortism and only certain people in the District got to take vacations . Upper management let it go on and the same managers still work for Ecolab after several complaints. Don't expect to get any kind of praise for your work . Customer demands are through the roof and you won't get any thanks from them. The company doesn't reward you really and every year it gets more demanding . Big Corporate company = Money Money .
Great company with room for advancement if you put in the time
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 2, 2016
Great company and highly recommend. In the sales role, it can be very time consuming and installations can take a while. But with the right prioritization and taking care of the customers, there are great rewards. The company rewards success well.

Last management or district manager was very unhelpful and unsupportive. Not a whole lot of support from the upper level management either. Wish it was a more cohesive team in between the levels with support and encouragement.

Room for advancement- with great success, about 5 years within the company.
Night Shift Pest control
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAApril 20, 2016
Everyone wants to transfer to days after serving time on nights. It's a experience working nights. I did it for 4yrs. The best part is that you didn't see many customer's but just the ones that worked nights or 24 stores. Getting sleepy is common and feeling sluggish is also.
Long hours crazy lunch rules and strange pay compensation since I left I heard. I always thought they over charged for things. I guess it caught up to them finally. Customers all ways got their way. This company will run a new tech into the ground. High turnover there.
Pros
Well known company and somewhat good trainning
Cons
Crazy pay scale and too many stops