Ecolab

Ecolab Employer Reviews

More bad than good
District Manager (Current Employee), Las VegasJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: 401k and stock purchase
Cons: no work life balance they expect 24/7 365 day availability as a manager
They set their budgets extremely high. If you exceed your budget by a few points you are in the top 20% automatically. They expect you to be available every day including weekends and they push like no other company. However, the compensation does not match the demands of the job.
Long boring shifts.
Bulk filler (Former Employee), Joliet, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: decent start wage.
Cons: 12 hour shifts
Long boring 12 hour shifts filling pails. The management and workers are friendly. Room for advancement.
Consistently short staffed, asking too much of loyal people, joke regarding work/life balance
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee), SpokaneJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: company car, decent benefits
Cons: short sighted management, me first mentality, no team work, so support.
Ecolab, in the Northwest, particularly in Spokane, has been miss-managed for a generation. What, in most parts of the country, is a viable and thriving enterprise, is, in this area, a complete catastrophe.
The District Manager position has NEVER been filled by a person with a college degree, which is mandatory for all positions. This creates an educational dysfunction which is difficult to get over. The examples of this are epic. Consider working as an outside sales person and getting a phone call from your boss, oh, maybe twice a month, and only when he wants you to drop everything and cover a call he is responsible for. Why can't he cover it? Either he's drunk, high, or can't get his pants back on. District Meetings, supposed to be held once a month, are cast aside unless the Area Manager inserts himself, and then a hastily under-prepared meeting is arranged, catered by the local Circle K. Seriously.
I may be jaded, as I was terminated after 10 years, because of a 'mysterious' customer complaint. I actually tried to hold the district to some standards, but obviously, I was interfering with the boss's party, or, more aptly, I was harshing his mellow.
I would not refer anyone in the Spokane area to work for this company. Seriously, you can hear the carnival music if you listen closely.
We had open positions for three years, and during that time, the local team had to cover, and the compensation to do so was cheated on and minimal. Covering open territories shorted us each on time to get our own jobs done, and then we would be penalized for not getting our jobs completed to specs. Working for Ecolab is a no win situation.
In reveiw
Material Handler/Receiving (Former Employee), Beloit, WIJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: very dependable, hard worker, easy to get along with
Cons: can't think of any
I am a team player with co-workers very responsible in my job duties assigned.I am a very safety orientated worker.I am willing to take on easy task to hard ones.My attendance is great.I am always willing to learn more than my position assigned to be more flexible to handle the company needs.
ecolab
Service Specialist (Former Employee), Meridian, MSJanuary 14, 2015
too many hours for a mother of 2. too many hours for a mother of 2. too many hours for a mother of 2
You will be worked like a dog.
Territory Manager - Institutional (Former Employee), Boulder, COJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: none.
Cons: weekend coverage. micro managed. hours vs pay never adds up. thankless work.
Your annual salary is not what you get paid. It is a guesstimate that no one can explain. Commission only position that they won't tell you either.

After training you go on the "plan" and for the first month you are not paid and nobody tells you that. Everyone is vague about it because they know it will be hard for you for a month.

You will pay out more in fuel from your own pocket than you are reimbursed to drive a company car.

You get to work on commercial dish machines in foul kitchens. It's awesome.

Little boys club. Locker room feel.
Exciting working environment with different peronalities
District O2C Manager (Current Employee), Kilgore, TXJanuary 6, 2015
A typical work day is coming in every morning, checking emails for new sales orders and processing them. This was my first oil and gas position. I learned valuable information to be able to take with me to further my career. I managed 7 employees in 4 different locations. I enjoyed my co-workers, but had to keep the manager/employee relationship. The hardest part of my job was traveling so much. The most enjoyable part was the people interaction and problem solving.
Job itself is interesting and challenging other supervisors are difficult to work with
Production Supervisor II (Former Employee), Joliet, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: interesting place to work, able to learn lean principles, and the upper mangement for the most part are helpful
Cons: hostile work environment promoted by senior supervisors
The job itself is interesting and challenging. The upper management team is helpful and easy to work with.. The company promotes a leadership development program which hires supervisors fresh out of college. This proves to be a challenge due to constant churn of moving people from department to department every 18 months due to the LDP rotation. The company is now trying to hire Production Supervisors with experience, however, if you are hired as a Production Supervisor II be prepared for the hostility from the senior supervisors hired in the early 1990's. This is the worst part of the job.
Steady workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: awesome breakroom
Cons: hard work floors, dust flying everywhere
Ecolab is a great job to have temporarily. I would have loved to stay at ecolab if it was a permanent job and payed more. Other then that, ecolab is a great place to work for. A typical day at work is breaking down a pallet and checking boxes for leaks. Then you restack the boxes on a different pallet and rewrap them. Management is great. They just want to make sure everything down efficiently and timely. There isn't anything hard about this job at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you go on break. The breakroom is temperatured and the warehouse is not.
Horrible company to work for unless you want to be a slave!
Waste-water Treatment (Current Employee), Eastern territory, USDecember 9, 2014
Cons: no lunches or breaks and always on edge
This company expected you to work 60-80 hour weeks with no over time, management is a total joke. There is always the threat that you are just about to lose your job. Department mangers are the worst I have ever worked with.

December 22, 2014

I also worked in this department, it was the most horrible experience of my life. The upper management is a joke, and they are simply run by scary under qualified yes men.

ECOLAB great company gone BAD. Shame on u
senior service specialist (Former Employee), Mohave county and Laughlin areaDecember 5, 2014
Cons: poor management
17 years with Ecolab in this position posted . Mohave co , Laughlin area .Ecolab turned the job I loved in to work and just another pest control company no longer delivering the promise to their customers and their employees .Big on safety but fails to practices what they preach. Working long hrs being paged during sleep tine and working during family time and working your weekends your forced to drive with little or no sleep . Failing to provide proper PPE to their employee forced to use respirator filters past their product recommended replacement guide lines . Nor could they order proper size gloves for to wear most of the time .Vacation time your expected to complete all your work for the month before you can take your well earned vacation that means you have to work all your weekends to complete a months worth of work. How is this a vacation your gust getting your weekends back.Also your expected to do sales calls during your family or sleep time and your not paid for it the sales rep gets the commission and you get a tiny Spiff not worth the time away from your family.Your kids are just a picture on you dash board and the wife is the other person on the phone when you get a chance . This is how they reward you I sold a hundred fifty thousand in route volume to add the third route and they hired him and gave him the day route and I scheduled a meeting with my reg mgr . When I got there they had FIVE written warning for me and one was an incident that happen over a year earlier. What a joke the area manager you will have is a perfect example of how bad it is .I had cancer – more... surgery and all he could do was call and cussed at me and tell me I need to get back to work .Reported to reg mgr and Hr fell on deaf ears . Also reported not getting my PPE as needed nothing happened this same mgr would not replace my worn full face respirator for six month's. And what worse is the customer now gets control not elimination that I was so proud of to all of my customers I loved I'm sorry . So you want a job with Ecolab you better rethink it your family is more important than a company like this and SHAME ON YOU ECOLAB – less
Low Salary, No Bonus, Company is wasy behind on the time
Admin (Former Employee), TexasNovember 30, 2014
Company offers no bonuses, the salary is not competitive and they are very behind compared to other companies.
Work freedom yet very organized and indendent
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee), Abilene, TXNovember 24, 2014
Pros: free car
Cons: too much driving
I have had 2 months of training here in Texas and including North Carolina. I work by myself everyday and make my own schedule. I travel all over north and west Texas doing food and safety audits, as well as fixing equipment. I love meeting new people and traveling to new places.
Slave labor
Senior Territory Business Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 21, 2014
Pros: job stability
Cons: poor compensation, no advancement
This company does not compensate fairly, in fact they were forced to back pay Territory Representatives during a three year stretch that was reported to fair labor board. Company tries to sell you on their vehicle reimbursement.
Territory Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 15, 2014
You have to be available for work 24/7. They don't pay any overtime either.
Great People, work hard but rewarded
Collections (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCNovember 6, 2014
Pros: everything
Love this company but it was a temp job.
Did collections, recons, posted cash
ok
Manual labor
flexible hours
Job security
Route Sales Manager (Current Employee), CaliforniaNovember 5, 2014
Pros: growth opportuniies
Cons: on call
Working in the institutional division of Ecolab is very hands on so knowledge of simple mechanics, plumbing, and electrical helps. The company provides a complex support structure so help is never hard to find, if you do not learn something during training than the Ecolab technical service department will guide you to troubleshooting solutions. The Route Sales Managers position requires them to manage an assigned route and provide additional sanitation solutions to the network of clients they oversee. The sales aspect paired with the maintenance role will keep an RSM with plenty of job security.
What a change over the last few years, and not in a good away
Bug guy (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 4, 2014
Pros: company vehicle you take home, work from home
Cons: absolutely no work life balance. terrible management
What a terrible work/life balance. Working all day, then all night, then all weekend, too. In CA, they have a Rube Goldberg equation to figure your hourly pay. That means working yourself to death, and often times off the clock or risk making $10/hr or less. Or turn a really profitable week and make $18/hr

This used to be a great company to work for before some management changes at the regional level. Now, anytime a customer is upset, we give them everything for free. Guess what happens to your weekly profitability and hourly wages. That's okay, maybe you can make it up with a weekend duty, maybe 18 or 20 hours a day. Double time sure makes $10/hr go a bit farther. If you like forced overtime.

How about the training program? If an employee quits today, by the time they hire and train a new guy, figure 12 months out before they can put him to work. Now, the corporate spin is that we get better employees... But what ends up happening is the guys who have been around for a bit shoulder the burden of open routes until they're burned out or choose to go on disability... Often for mental health reasons.

Is this the sort of place you want to work?

Maybe when they paid a living wage, but not anymore
Productive and fun place to work.
Service Specialist (Former Employee), New York, New YorkOctober 29, 2014
Pros: flexibility, healthcare, growth potential, vehicle provided, team work.
Cons: exposure to chemicals, on the job safety.
My position at Ecolab provide me with the opportunity to learn about and became appreciative of other people culture. I serviced high end customer in mid town Manhattan, for example, Macy's Herald Square
where with the support from management and coworkers allowed us to eliminate the challenges the facility had with pest. This focus on team work, "one team, one goal," was the most important aspect the company's culture and one that will remain with me throughout my career. Eliminating pest from a large facility is extremely challenging but with the resources provided by management and the co-operation and understanding from customers made my task a success. The most enjoyable part of this experience was been able to educate my customers through one and one meetings with management and doing presentations for the employees in order to gain their trust and support. Working with Ecolab has a huge impact on my enthusiasm in surging ahead with my career change. The ability to quickly find solutions for different pest issues, the process of implementing a corrective plan and the benefits of making customers happy is an approach that will serve well in the Finance Industry.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ecolab

A trusted partner at more than one million customer locations, Ecolab (ECL) is the global leader in water, hygiene and energy – Read more