Ecova

Ecova Employee Reviews

Great mission and leadership but highly unstable
HR Business Partner (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 13, 2015
The company has gone through many changes due to acquiring, being acquired, and continual restructuring. Its a tough industry that requires agility, but sometimes the restructuring is due to short term thinking.
Company has been profitable and growing year upon year but there have been no bonuses for four years.
fun workplace
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee), spokane WAFebruary 7, 2015
got a lot of experience there was a lot of drama that I was not very fond of . no matter how much effort you put in and even when it wasn't your fault they looked at you in a bad way
Green company rapidly deteriorating
Market Accounts Specialist (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: free coffee, laid back atmosphere, opportunities, environmentally friendly
Cons: management
I have been at Ecova for a few years at this point. When I first joined the company, there were a lot of exciting opportunities for growth and learning. My peers have always been fantastic; however, management is quickly getting worse. The culture of the office was laid back and fun and people seemed to be intrinsically motivated to work in order to stay in such an awesome environment. Within the past year, things have completely changed. The culture of the office has taken a nose dive and management doesn't seem to know how to handle the issue. The team has stopped working to their full potential as it seems that no matter what they do, it is never appreciated and it is never enough. The hardest part of working there is dealing with lower level management. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is fast paced and for the most part, there is a friendly atmosphere. This is an energy management company that practices sustainability to the best of their ability.
I haven't worked here long enough to review
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Spokane, WAJanuary 12, 2015
In the little amount of time I have worked here, it seems like a good place to work. I'm not sure about room for advancement.
Cutting Edge Source in Energy Management
Administrative Assistant/Mail Room Associate (Former Employee), Lacey, WANovember 18, 2014
Pros: diversity, excellent work atmosphere, great pay and benefits
Cons: having to leave after being laid off.
A typical day at work was anything but typical. I learned so much about energy management and resource development in the 12 years that I was there. My co-workers were versatile, intelligent and many became fast friends. All capable and acclimated to do the job at hand. The hardest part of my job was having to leave it at the end of 12 years due to layoffs. The most enjoyable part of my day started the moment I walked in the door.
Ecova-Atlanta Office
Building System Specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaOctober 16, 2014
Pros: salary was decent and the benefits were good
Cons: poor leadership, terrible culture towards minorities, and no real hr representation.
I was an employee at this company from June 2006 to December 2013 at the Atlanta Georgia office when the company was called Prenova. During the beginning of my time with the company things were great. The company was growing and the managers actually showed gratitude for the hard work their employees put out. The moral of the company was better as a result of this. I personally enjoyed coming to work and even put in extra hours to help out when needed. Later, those same managers either left the company or was let go and as a result things went from bad to worse.The company brought in managers who had no knowledge on how to run the energy management team. Also, these managers were not professional, poor communicators, and always had an attitude. There is no formal training for the work that needs to be done. A lot of favoritism was displayed out in the open. Friends of certain managers was hired for positions that they were not qualified for and then was promoted to team leads. In November of 2013, I was fortunate enough to find another job with a company that respected my skills, qualification, and experience. I turned in my two week resignation and did not receive a goodbye, good luck, or anything from the management team after all the years that I served as an employee with the company.
Great place to work with very knowledgeable people
Energy Procurement Analyst (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 15, 2014
Very laid back culture with a great corporate culture. My most enjoyable part of my job is helping clients save money on their natural gas spend and working in the natural gas market.
Fun relaxing work enviroment
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 6, 2014
Pros: life balance, team players and i get to learn new things
Cons: i wish they were more open to hiring temps
I love there is a balance in work and family.

It is encouraged to take walks and take that personal time in between work.

It is a team atmosphere and it shows. My team members get involved when there are voluntary days and I believe it's because they enjoy what they do.
Relaxed Environment and never ending workflow
Billing Specialist/REO (Former Employee), Richardson, TXSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: accumulation of pto and holiday
Cons: constant changes including break times, lunches, and workflow
Ninety percent of my day at work was spent on the phone with Vendors and/or Brokers. There was never a dull moment because we were given new job descriptions almost weekly. Anything from how to contact a broker to adding a new commodity when setting up new utility services. Management was constantly changing. In four and a half years, I worked under four different Supervisors. Co-workers were great because we were split up in teams. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to constant changes in doing the job. One day was one way and the next day was something different. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relaxed environment. The dress code was casual and there wasn't a lot of micro management. As long as you performed your job up to standard, you were left alone.
Going downhill fast
Invoice Processor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: casual attire; good insurance
Cons: new inexperienced management need training or a mentor before taking on the position.
When I started with Ecova it was a great place to work and a good fit for what I was looking for. Until I became ill. I was constantly being called into the managers office and given the third degree which increased after applying for FMLA. I later found out that I was not the only being treated this way. This started right before they were bought out. I guess this was their way of cleaning house.
The management repeatedly had impromptu "chewing out" meetings for ridiculous things such as, the manager going into the restroom and finding toilet paper on the floor. Since we were responsible to meet a specific number of processed items I felt this was a complete waste of time and showed the inexperience of the manager. The same issue could have been taken care of more professionally with a simple memo or general email.
I enjoyed the work and most of the people who worked there, but the inexperience, unprofessionalism and power trip of my immediate manager made it impossible for me and others to remain with the company.
great company!
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee), Spokane, WAJuly 28, 2014
This is an amazing company to work for. Management is real and doesn't micro manage and everyone respects each other. Great company.
Productive, Fast Paced an a fun place to work
Utility Invoice Analyst (Former Employee), Spokane, WAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: got to write my own macros to make the reports all look and feel the same
Cons: short breaks and only a half hour for lunch
I learned how to read and understand utility bills.Worked with Share Point. MS Office and got to work on writing macros
Terrible company - worse leadership
Manager (Current Employee), SpokaneJuly 16, 2014
Pros: salary is decent
Cons: everything else
Favoritism, nepotism, rampant cliques, culture of distrust - just a few of the issues with this company. I have never, ever, wanted to leave a company more than this one. The absolute worst, most unprofessional management I have ever experienced. I have seen people be spied on by other employees at the request of their boss, publicly shamed in front of their peers, and downright dishonesty when dealing with their clients. The company was just sold to GDF-Suez - I'm not sure they know what they are getting - but a complete housecleaning is necessary to root out the incompetence and dead weight in this company. The sad part is that there really are employees dedicated to what they do yet are fighting a losing battle due to the incompetent leadership.
N/A
CLIENT SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 5, 2014
Great company to work for however there is a lot of instability in the upper management team. A lot of "pass the blame" going on and no real direction.
Worst Management I've Experienced in 35 years!
Data Information Specialist (Former Employee), Spokane, WAMarch 9, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: see above
I had 5 supervisors in 3 years. (same position)
Always moving your desks around.
Always changing their game plan instead of sticking with a procedure.
Worst case of favoritism I have ever experienced!
Most inexperienced supervisors I've ever come experienced.
Replacing all their over 50 very experience management team with many 20 year olds with no experience.
DRAMA!!!
If you brown nose your supervisor and get out of your desk a lot, apparently you are golden.
Be careful what you post on fb, your managers will use it to judge you.
Worst poorly managed company I have ever worked for.
Oh, ..08 cent an hour raise in 3 years with no bonuses.
Many EOCC complaints have been filed against this company.
High School mentality.
A "Green" business that actually walks the talk
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Spokane, WAFebruary 16, 2014
Ecova has been a great place to work for the last 6 years, but the limited opportunities for advancement are restricted by ageism, sexism, and nepotism.
good place to work, growing fast.
Client service representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: free coffee.
I learened many new things whiile working for Ecova, I learned about the energy saving efforts companies make, also about the processes and regulations to establish new utility serrvices in different states oof the Nation.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Spokane, WADecember 12, 2013
I loved working for Ecova. They have a great vision toward sustainability and are expanding all the time to assist everyday and Fortune 1000 companies in that vision.
The culture is wonderful and promotes a positive home-work balance.
Good company, terrible lower level management
Analyst (Current Employee), Spokane, WAJuly 17, 2013
Pros: fun office activities
Cons: non-executive management
Ecova as a company is fine--upper management is interested in making the company succeed, believes in its people and wants everyone to have a good work environment. Where the company falls down is its lower level management. People without the necessary skills or background are promoted, while the people underneath then have to suffer. The "leadership skills" supposedly taught to management is a joke. In the 9 years that I've been with Ecova, only once have I had a chance to critique my manager. I think a lot more can be learned about a manager by talking to the people they actually manage, rather than only considering what the person that hired them thinks.

Ecova has added a behavior portion to their review process. Basically this boils down to an easy out for the company if you tick off the wrong person. Don't expect to be told what you did wrong, because that would breach confidentiality. And don't ever expect anything to be forgotten--if you haven't done anything wrong lately, what you did three or four years ago will still be held against you. Of course a part of the work environment is getting along with others, but at Ecova, at least in my office, not everyone is judged by the same standards, even within a team. Employees have no recourse because managers are always believed over the rank and file.
Busy
Data Information Specialist (Former Employee), Spokane, WAApril 14, 2013
This is a good company to start with if you are looking to enter into the working world. They have swing shifts which works out if you are a student.