Education Alternatives Employee Reviews

Love the place but I wish there were medical benefits & 401K .
Behavior Consultant & Therapist (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PA 19406September 16, 2017
Sometimes I am a PCA & assist the child all day. Other times I do consultant work & document behavioral concerns to help get services for child.Great hands-on experience in working with various disciplines schools have utilized.
Pros
Co-workers are nice
Cons
No medical benefits, 401K
Not Valued
Employee (Former Employee) –  Northeast OhioJuly 13, 2017
Never worth the time you put into it.

Take a job here, but be searching for other schools. Management never communicates problems and nobody high up values individuals. They're on a mission to create the highest turnover.
Pros
Friendly at first
Cons
Disorganized, owners aloof, negative environment, high turnover, low staff, no support
No integrity or care for staff
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 7, 2017
Great relationships with the kids but poor relationships between staff and management. Especially the owners who fire people if you disagree with them or file a grievance.
Pros
Good change for kids
Cons
High turnover rate, Majority of staff are terminated or resign within 2 years, Massive disorganization, under staffing and under training and under paid
Bully ran company
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 12, 2017
I was let go after 3 years because i would not go into a building where i broke both of my hands on two separate occasions. If you like helping kids and are willing to deal with nonsense i recommend.
Pros
The employees in the trenches all have each others back!
Cons
Owners are bullies.
Great Culture while giving back
Director of Daytreatment (Current Employee) –  Ravenna, OHFebruary 28, 2017
I find working at Education Alternatives to be very rewarding! I enjoy the team atmosphere and the professionalism of everyone I work with. It is great to know that I work for an organization that is driven to help the community and clients above all else.
Challenging Job but Great Team Atmosphere
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHFebruary 21, 2017
I worked at EA for 2.5 years, mostly as a facilitator at the Ravenna branch. The work is very challenging as you deal with emotionally unstable youth. The job requires a calm, yet assertive demeanor to deal with the clients. The Director at Ravenna leads by example and really helps to cultivate a team mentality, which is key to helping the building run smoothly. The job can be demanding, but the staff at Ravenna is supportive of one another from the Director down to one-on-one aides. In fact, many of my co-workers have become close friends. The Ravenna branch is probably the best workplace culture I have ever been a part of.
Pros
Ravenna has great team-culture, great director, seeing progress with clients
Cons
Clients are difficult to deal with at times
Loved this company
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 19, 2016
This was such a wonderful company to work for. Great mission and really cares about the kids. The building directors and owners are approachable and care about the staff.
never a tax return
PCA (Current Employee) –  Limerick, PADecember 14, 2016
One downside is that it is an independent contracting job which really comes back to hurt you during tax season even if you plan for it. I owed several thousand one year.
Working here is not worth your well-being
PH facilitator (Former Employee) –  ohDecember 4, 2016
Education Alternatives is a stressful environment to work in, due to the traumatized kids, the owner of the company, and lack of proper training. While it can be fulfilling to build relationships with the kids, the lack of staff aid in a dangerous environment. Due to the owner being a bully (i.e. yelling and blaming employees, targeting employees who question or disagree with the owner, and lack of communication between the husband and wife CEOs) there is a high turn over rate. In addition, the owners rarely check into their different locations or offer assistance. Overall, I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Relationships with kids and co-workers
Cons
Owners, dangerous environment, low staffing, lack of training
Great Place to Work
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 7, 2016
I loved my time working for this company and I am not the only one who feels this way! The job is tough and not for everyone, but it is about as rewarding as it gets. I recommend this job to anyone who is in either the education or mental health fields and wants to do your part making a difference. Also, seeing as EA was nominated as one of the top companies to work in Northeast Ohio, they must be doing something right! Keep up the good work.
Pros
Staff work as a team
Cons
Environment can be tough
family ran business
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Bedford and BrookparkSeptember 7, 2016
The only rewarding part of the job was seeing the youth succeed. The owners will break you and belittle staff. If you disagree with them or bring policy and procedures not being followed to their attentio, You will loose your job. They will break any and all rules to make money. They do not care at who's expense including the children.
Pros
clients
Cons
Owners
Therapist
Therapist (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 31, 2016
The psychologist -- who is basically the boss of this company -- needs serious therapy! She is manipulative, significant anxiety and anger issues that she takes out on her staff. She only hires young people she can control, easily...and pays them poorly. Go to a real Agency with a Director who has worked out his/her issues. It's amazing how many psychologists have mental health issues....the owner on this company is one if them.
Pros
The clients
Cons
The owners
Fun Loving place to work
DRIVER/MONITOR (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 1, 2016
This company strives on helping young people learn, strive to be the best at what they are doing, and focus on being better individuals in society to be able to make a difference in there lives. Most important is having patience with young people to help them overcome diversity and become leaders , and seekers of self sufficiency.
Pros
learning environment
Cons
short breaks
Impersonal inviroment
food service assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 19, 2015
Rewarding; Preparing,transporting and serving meals to alternative school children leave me with a special feeling of accomplishment.
This maybe the only hot meal that a lot of these children receive daily, and I'm happy to be the one to give it to them.
Pros
I love to drive, and transporting these meals satisfies that desire.
Cons
Working at my own pace.
Poor Management
mental health (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 27, 2015
This is actually a NEW small, family owned business that has many issues to work out. The required paperwork is completely unmanageable. The CEO 'bullies' staff into submission. Most all staff that I knew were displeased AND looking for another job. This job can also be dangerous due to the client population. This company offers very little, if any training; no room for advancement and you will be expected to work overtime-- without comphensation. Employee turn over is VERY high and this should tell you a lot about this poorly managed company. It's not worth your time.
Pros
Helping clients in need
Cons
Upper Management is horrible
Good learning experience for 1st job with ED students.
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHJune 29, 2015
Trained on TCI and IEP writing. Also learned proper restraining techniques. You will be working with students that are emotionally disturbed.
Pros
Good learning exoeriences.
Cons
Low paying position, minimal raises.
Too much of a family company
Staff (Former Employee) –  Northeast OhioMarch 16, 2015
You think family operated and think "they like to support you and your family, flexible" and while this can be true, this family will hire you and tear you down. There is little to no training and development and they expect you to be a "yes" man. As soon as you question them, you can kiss your job goodbye. Directors, who seem to have power, are just pawns in their game. They hire their family, without them having necessary job qualifications. Overall, you become overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No room for advancement
Excellent Team
Qualified Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls , Ohio - Bedford, OhioAugust 1, 2014
Working with kids who have behavior and disability issues that effect their education. I had a great team to work with. Most Education Alternative locations will say the same thing. The job can be very emotional. The important thing is to pay close attention to detail and follow training. The hours are great. The pay is real decent. The Supervisors listen to team members.
Pros
It is truly a TEAM environment
Cons
Location was my only issue
Great mission and vision.
Owner/Director (Former Employee) –  Yacolt, WAJune 10, 2013
Helping people connect to resources within the community to support alternatively educated students and their families.
Effective Education Option for students having Emotional Disturbance
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHSeptember 27, 2012
There is a great deal of structure, which is necessary to meet the needs of the students. I learned many new organizational skills, especially regarding Alternative Assessments (state mandated). There are some warm, caring administrators, and it is clear that the common goal is the success of the students. My colleagues were supportive and encouraging. The most difficult part of the job was seeing the struggles that some of the students deal with on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of this position is seeing the success of the students, knowing that we aided them in the process. The students know that they have options in life, and a good future may be had by working hard and applying the life skills that they are learning.
Pros
the entire building is a cohesive team.