Education Corporation of America Employee Reviews

Care more about money than the students
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mobile AlabamaFebruary 9, 2017
This is a for profit college. They do not care about the students or the education they receive. Directors and Instructors are not qualified for the positions. If you are in teaching for helping students and making a difference this is not the place for you. If you can't get a job and/or keep a job in your related field and you are a brown noser. This is perfect for you.
Pros
I really can't think of anything good. I really can't. Sorry
Cons
Poor leadership and lack of knowledge. Waist of $18, 000
Avoid this place if you are a real teacher
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 5, 2017
Very little professionalism here, entire focus is keeping people in school who either don't want to be there or who are not ready to be there, so that the high tuition dollars keep rolling in.....
Pros
Pay is usually correct and on time
Cons
Learning is not always the most important objective, and I found the staff to be very weak in behavioral issues
Ups and Downs
Student Accounts (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 27, 2016
I love the company in all. THe people are outstanding and make the job interesting. Although the insurance is terrible and it is very stressful I highly recommend working here. If you like to stay busy, here is the place to be. Everyone is willing to help you learn and grow in the company.
Good concept - EXTREMELY bureaucratic.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaDecember 13, 2016
Thought I found my dream job, helping underprivileged and was working with a great staff. Things changed quickly.
As long as you have NO interaction executives you might like it at VC. Seasoned job hoppers easily fool ECA corporate executives, and quickly take new jobs before the mess have created is revealed. (VC directors are typically not around long), and "Doing the right thing" is not especially valued at ECA. Some very childish behavior in mgt positions, so don't expect much.
Corporate HR is extremely unprofessional or unlucky or just stubborn in their hiring of qualified HR Personnel for regional and corporate positions. Also unprofessional in the handling of confidential HR matters, or general HR support of the VC branch staff.
Looking back, the 60-70% of the campus staff genuinely cares about what they are trying to do, but being a proprietary school, numbers and profit only matter in the large scheme to corporate office.
Multiple ECA reorganizations in the 2 years I worked there, left staff with no feeling of job security. Though ECA decent wages DO attract some qualified hard working people, the campus staff is highly unappreciated.
Overall a very disappointing experience.
Pros
Colleagues, decent pay.
Cons
ECA cronyism, unprofessional HR at corporate level, no job security.
Great Pay
Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCNovember 7, 2016
This job has alot of good benefits down to health benefits or even the people you come across. It will be going on a Year and I can say I have learned alot when it comes to Financial Aid. I take what I have learned and apply it to me when it comes to my schooling.
My overall job I enjoy, when it comes to my students I love helping and working with them. What i dislike about my job is the managment and the stability. It seems that they cant keep people and its like there not looking at the root of the issue. The hardest part of this job is getting students back in to complete needed documents that was triggered after FAFSA application come in.
The most enjoyable part of my job is making my students and parents happy.
Pros
income
Cons
short breaks
No comment
Student Finance Trainer/Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 21, 2016
Very difficult environment to be successful in for a long time. Although I did not have the best experience, my experience should not dictate another person's view of an organization.
Current Employee
Agency Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 17, 2016
Entry Level Position. Asks for at least a Bachelor's in Accounting/Finance even though the position consists of very little accounting work. Poorly managed. Coworker work great as a team. Hardest part of the job is learning to do your job with little to no training. Most enjoyable part is closing revenue a the end of month.
Great job, benefits, and environment.
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 9, 2016
This is a good place to work, especially if you are goal-driven. We have lots of fun, while assisting students in changing their lives for the better.
Productive, diverse work atmosphere
Corporate Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 22, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of consistently answering calls and assisting students to the proper destination. Attention to detail is a top priority, being able to sort mail, send out checks to all employees and create fed-ex shipping labels. I learned how to manage myself at all times and master a skill in attention to detail.
Pros
very diverse
Cons
job security
Eca
Student Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 16, 2016
The office structure of this company is deeply imbedded a student first mindset. The hardest part of the job is trying to follow the Federal guidelines.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
mandatory late nights and weekends
Had a great co-worker
Campus Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAJune 16, 2016
It was a great experience to see hundreds of students achieve their educational goal and be part of it.
My position was very rewarding as I was part of Student Services helping students to succeed in their studies and fulfill their education.
I Love my supervisor and coworkers
Cosmetology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 31, 2016
I love my job, however it has no job security. i love all my coworkers and even though the students can be a bit much to take at times I overall sincerely love it.
Not a place to excel and grow
server (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 14, 2016
Inconsistent in every way. No structure. No real uniform policy. Managers disappear to run errands and are gone for hours at a time. Everyone seems to be related in someway in the management team. Could be a much better place to work.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No benefits, inconsistent scheduling.
a wonderful place that exceeded in serving or vets depts and spouses
School Certifying Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 7, 2015
I worked in the military student center with an amazing caring staff that exceeded in taking care of vets, depts. and spouses with va education benefits. Assisting in va education benefit eiligibilty, va required documents, billing, debt, va certification and customer service.
E
teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2015
Monday is the typical day of work in which i learned how to be ponctual and active .i get accostomed with many homework to be corrected . the hardest part of the day is friday cause it is a bit at the middele ant our teachers did not give us a break between hours. It is by the waythe most enjoyable part of the day cause it is the tile of ESSALAT.
Pros
FREE LUNCHES
Cons
SHORT BREAKS
Excellent company
Cosmetology Program Director (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSOctober 3, 2015
I worked at VC in Jackson MS in 05-06. I am currently employed in Biloxi,MS for just over a year now in senior leadership. This company has a lot of room for growth. You have to be cut from the right cloth for advancement but it is a lot of room for grow. I read a lot of negative reviews and it is crushing because while I respect that it might be your opinion, I do not want a bad overall vibe put out their about a company that is great. Yes: it is for profit yes: students matter yes: numbers are important yes: success of the student is top priority. It is just like anywhere, if you have a Mgr. that is not doing a great job, doesn't mean the company doesn't care. I believe in the brand and I have my eyes set on advancement because I have what it takes and I love what I do.
Pros
Student Success
Shut this place down all over before it gets real!!! This is THE worst place I have ever worked for!!
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  All Of themSeptember 29, 2015
Management doesn't care about students or employees. This place needs to be shut down immediately!! Students get inadequate education for the amount of money they pay. The instructors try their best but after awhile they don't give a rip. If you enjoy babysitting then need apply because this is exactly my experience with the exception that these are adults! Safety forget about it... just make sure your life insurance policy is current and your family is fully aware and has a great attorney on speed dial. TAKE MY ADVICE RUN FAST!!!
Pros
Pay is ok but not worth the headache. Your Co-workers Understand they feel the same way!
Cons
Management! ECA/VC existence!
Not a good place to work
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 21, 2015
This is not a great place to work at all. You spend your entire day, from sun up to sun down at this facility, there is no work-life balance, and management does nothing but tell you what you are doing wrong. Most of the instructors/program directors do not want to be there, there have been 5 Academic Deans and the school has only been open for 3 years. This place is all about numbers and not about caring for students. Not a good place to work or attend school.
Pros
Compensation
Official response from Education Corporation of America
November 21, 2016

We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to understand where we have opportunities to improve. I'm sorry that this was your experience on your particular campus as this is not the experience at all of our campuses.

School Has a Discipline Problem
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 18, 2015
Taught very briefly as an adjunct for this company. Nice facility, well-equipped classrooms, and the staff seemed competent. A decent academic environment overall. The people were great, except for the dean, who was pretty intense and unclear as to expectations. He was very much focused on student discipline and archaic accounting procedures; the environment felt similar to teaching a class in a minimum security prison or the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. I could see that the disciplinary rules were going to take away from a clear focus on teaching, so I tried to adjust them a bit (with the dean's approval), which only created more disciplinary issues among students who didn't like the changes. Since the job paid far less than local 'scale' for adjuncting, I decided it just wasn't worth having to deal with all the esoteric 'rules' and shifting expectations, so I bailed, Told the dean I would work until he found a suitable replacement, but he showed me the door. Guess he was as relieved to see me go as I was to hit the bricks! If you decide to work here, be sure to get a clear contract from them with all of the administrative and disciplinary requirements and expectations of the job spelled out in detail!
Pros
Nice physical environment and classrooms
Cons
Discipline problems and a lack of clear expectations up-front
K12 Administartion Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lauderdale Lakes, FLSeptember 17, 2015
The pressure stayed on due to getting the spots filed for students to enroll/ but BEING HERE WAS FUN IN A AWAY AND VERY INTRERESTING.
Pros
Nice working hours
Cons
no comunication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Education Corporation of America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7