Education Corporation of America

Education Corporation of America Employer Reviews

Don't Do It
Campus (Former Employee), TexasAugust 15, 2014
Pros: pros hmmm......
Cons: where do i start?
If you want no personal life go ahead and apply, 8-8, 6 days/wk. Communication is non-existent at this place; they even tell you they are the worst at communicating. You will be walking on eggshells every day you work there. Turnover is high and you will question yourself if it is even worth the constant abuse. Vacation sounds great till you find out – more... you are highly restricted on when and how you use it. Doing the right thing is well ....Let just say i don't want to be held "liable" in court. – less
Great work environment with supportive Senior Leadership Team.
Corporate Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 11, 2014
ECA is a for-profit organization. Great team atmosphere with a lot of room for growth.
From the librarian
Librarian (Current Employee), Texas uJuly 20, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
As the librarian whose job is presently being advertised on indeed.com, I find this most offensive since nothing but the best has been given in four short months. I have experienced nothing but lack of information, lack of cooperation, and lack of communication from those around me. In the end I took the fall for a most incompetent company whose only – more... interest is money. I didn't heed the negative reviews I read before taking this job. I was mistaking! You cannot be effective in an environment of negativity, fear of losing your job, and the knowledge that this is hurting students. This company (not school) is solely about money! They have wonderful people, myself with an MLS, who want students to succeed, but are faced with the realization that most will fail due to the greed and incompetence of this company. To my successor I advise most caution. You will be killed by the unknown and the utter stupidity of PDs, president, and dean. You cannot succeed when there is utter chaos raging around you. Never have I experienced such maliciousness as to advertise my job while presently sacrificing my all. This is shameful and disgraceful. – less
Corporate office is a nice place to work
Current Employee (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 1, 2014
Pros: cafeteria and workout room on site
Cons: none for me
Quite, peaceful place to work. Cafeteria on premises is convenient. No need to leave the property for lunch. People are very nice and personable. The most enjoyable part of the job is making friends.
DBA
Database Manager (Former Employee), Riverchase, ALJune 26, 2014
I was the SQL DBA for 1 database. I maintained, backed up, and installed new releases for two years.
Fast paced, exciting work environment
Director of Enterprise Risk Management Consulting (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 31, 2014
I enjoy working at ECA. It is an exciting, dynamic employer.
If you want a life outside of work...
Instructor (Former Employee), JacksonvilleMarch 22, 2014
Cons: hours, management, curriculum, expectations
Do not go above an adjunct instructor if you want a life outside of your job. Do not trust anyone at this place. Management will tell you what you want to hear and never change.
There are some excellent people in the company, but overall, money is most important.
Results Oriented
Enrollment (Current Employee), BirminghamMarch 20, 2014
Numbers are almost impossible to achieve. Culture is negative. I would not take a job with this organization unless desperate.
Production oriented work place with a great management team
Student Finance Specialist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 26, 2013
Pros: stability
Cons: lack of team building
I counsel prospective students and parents regarding the financial aid process. Along with providing information on available programs, procedures, and eligibility requirements, I reviews financial aid applications and related documentation for compliance with eligibility requirements. When needed I provide assistance to students and parents in the – more... completion of financial aid applications.
I am able to assist students regarding military education benefits processes, and provides information on available programs, procedures, and eligibility requirements. I make sure that scholarship waivers are explained, completed and returned on a quarterly basis from student and campus. – less
Interactive work environment with newly installed facilities and equipment
Pharmacy Technician Instructor (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAOctober 18, 2013
Typically, the day of work begins with preparation of written assignments and displaying a daily agenda for class. Interactive activities, lectures and written assessments are assigned during class time. There are hourly breaks within class sessions which are usually two to three hours long. I have learned classroom management skills and teaching strategies – more... through the support and encouragement of the management and my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the rewarding experience of inspiring potential pharmacy technician candidates. – less
Wrong persons in upper management positions
Former Educator (Former Employee), SCOctober 16, 2013
Pros: strong teamwork among educators
Cons: very poor management
I would like to collaborate on how the dean and program director display favoritism as well as poor professionalism while working within an circle towards educators with whom they have personal concerns. This is an hostile environment as well as there's retaliation present. Overall I think this is an good organization to work for, however the wrong – more... people have been placed in position. – less
CAUTION if seeking long-term opportunity
Controller (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 13, 2013
Continuous restructuring of organization and utilizes this format to terminate staff members who do not 'play along' with management as to issues/concerns including taking fall for illegal processes, etc.
Great Job Opportunity
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALAugust 13, 2013
Pros: stable job, clear work schedule (no surprise over time)
Cons: n/a
I recently left this company after just over a year. I saw a different environment than the last reviewer, but it could be because I wasn’t there during the department’s initial formation. In my year there, one person was let go for poor performance and another realized her performance would result in a termination, so she quit. This was my first job – more... out of college and so was a great learning experience and stepping stone. I stay in contact with former manager’s and co-workers even now that I have moved on to other opportunities. The role is very structured due to compliance and regulations, however, feedback is encouraged to improve processes constantly. In the year I worked there, I went in on one weekend day for a few hours but the “busy time” was listed on the shared calendar and most of my co-workers were able to complete their work within the work week. Typically, Mondays through Wednesdays were busiest, and the first two weeks of each term start. But, there weren’t any surprise weekend shifts at all.

I did feel that I wasn’t doing much “accounting” work that was taught in school, but, from talking with friends – most of the “accounting” work that they do is financial reporting accounting, not operational. The knowledge I gained working here on accuracy, customer service, MICROSOFT EXCEL, has led me to be very successful in my new role with a small government contractor. They initially hired me to do “accounting” but have realized my skills extend to helping the whole company. – less
Fun and collaborative work environment
Loan Management Coordinator (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 7, 2013
I am responsible for returning voicemails received outside of department business hours. I am also responsible for making contact with former students who have delinquent or defaulted student loans and working with their loan servicer to bring their accounts back into good standing, effectively managing the cohort default rate. I have learned very much – more... over the past two years by taking initiative to review federal law published by the U.S. Department of Education regarding Title IV funds. I have an excellent relationship with my superiors and co-workers, and consistently look for opportunities to take additional work loads. The most difficult part of my job is making contact with a delinquent/defaulted borrower; however, once contact has been established with the borrower, alleviating the debt burden for the borrower makes it all worth it. – less
Worst Company to work for
Employee (Current Employee), Savannah, GAApril 21, 2013
Unethical, back stabbing, no job security, based of favoritism, no open door management, overall worst company to work for, employee turnover is just like a revolving door.

June 5, 2013

They will run you ragged then let you go the minute a new president or dean comes on board. Trust me.....that is often. They can't seen to keep anyone on staff

Terrible place to work in academics
Academic Dean (Current Employee), Not able to say to protect my identityApril 16, 2013
Pros: the salary is okay except when you figure out how many hours you are going to work a week
Cons: too many to list - awful place to work if you are in academics
19 Deans fired or quit within a little more than 12 month time frame. Program directors have even higher turnover. There were 3 reorganizations in 2012 and hundreds of people have been let go but none of the responsibilities have changed. The last reorganization removed all registrars from the campus level, leaving deans and program directors to pick – more... up the pieces - and there were a lot. Deans are expected to be the general education program director at their campus and perform the duties of this program director in addition to the Dean position, and maintaining the registrar work. Also there is no longer an HR person on campus or an academic administrative assistant - that job has been combined into campus administrator who basically does three jobs in one and isn't going to be there to help you do yours.

There is no help at the corporate level - people do not return phone calls and are in general extremely rude. The weekly phone calls are all about corporate folks telling campus level people all about the exciting new changes and patting each other on the back while never acknowledging those actually doing the work at the campus level. You will receive emails fairly regularly about being written up if things don't change. There is an internal academic audit team and their sole purpose is to come to the campus and provide a list of findings, which may include things like not having a sign laminated in the employee lounge. You will be written up if you have more than one finding on the internal audit. There are emergency phone conferences and meetings on an almost weekly basis. You will be expected to keep your cell phone on and answer it on holidays, weekends, and Sundays. You are expected to keep up with your emails as well.

The hiring process and hiring guidelines for faculty are actually almost impossible to follow and create a constant nightmare in hiring and staffing. The high turnover among faculty and program directors also make it extremely difficult to create stability and you should expect a very large part of your job to be training and hiring. There are program binders, homework binders, syllabi binders, signed schedule binders, SAP binders, and numerous other binders to be maintained without administrative help. The systems are automated and you must scan documents but there are no desktop scanners or printers in offices. Ordering supplies, textbooks, and other essential items takes days, numerous emails to justify expenses, numerous re-ordering to match the just in time inventory model. There are numerous weekend events for admissions that the academic team is also expected to attend. The schedule is supposedly automated through ASTRA, however, ASTRA cannot think ahead and only considers whether a pre-requisite has been met before scheduling. No consideration is given to sequencing so a student graduates on time.

As for other academic positions, the librarian is also the textbook manager and the learning success "tutoring" center manager for most campuses. Therefore, the librarian is not really a librarian. The other thing that has occurred is that there are now Allied Health program directors over multiple programs, and many program director positions have been eliminated. The program directors have to teach in addition to their full time program director duties. The teaching responsibilities are extremely numerous and are unpaid for the most part. I was told that instructors should want to volunteer their time rather than be paid for training and events. Instructors have to call their students if they miss class, post attendance within 30 minutes, maintain homework binders, prep classes, grade and use the electronic grading system. Onboarding is electronic and two modules are estimated by corporate to take 27 hours each. Unpaid. In addition to the orientations that occur at the campus.

All in all it is overwhelming workload and most academic deans work well into 50 or 60 hours a week, every week (not just start weeks or end of quarter weeks). You will work weekends for each quarter at least 3 times which means 12 weekends a year or 25% of your weekends will be mandatory. Not to mention the evenings you put in at least 3 days a week. Which may be okay if the work was appreciated or acknowledged or there was some sort of feeling it would be okay later. But there isn't.

Most campuses have been in some sort of turmoil if they are new campuses because of the poor management from corporate. – less
interactive
Student Finance Business Analyst (Current Employee), Tampa, FloridaApril 1, 2013
Pros: management team
Cons: limited advancement
excellent working environment.
open communication
some late nights and weekends
Great place to assist people with changing their lives.
Admissions Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 1, 2013
Pros: interaction with the public. excellent salary and benefits package.
Cons: termination after 90 days.
Starting with the Loan Management Department I was able to assist students with researching various programs to help cure Student Loan Deliquency and Default.

In Admissions a typical day at work included making outbound calls, receiving inbound calls and arranging follow-up activities with prospective students. Those activities included setting appointments, – more... interviewing the student to determine course of action, placement testing, and assisting with completing enrollment documentation.

I learned to work with people from various backgrounds, phone and face to face interaction daily and how to identify and solve problems quickly.

Great co-workers and great students to work with daily. Admissions Management changed several times making the transition sometimes difficult. – less
Run!!!!
Program Director (Former Employee), Augusta, GeorgiaMarch 17, 2013
Pros: my coworkers
Cons: everything else!!!!!
This was the most terribly managed company ever! The only stability is knowing there is NO stability. I was in a program director role and had absolutely no work/life balance. Deadlines were most of the time unrealistic. Students were not first, but their money was! The plan, was an epic fail. Go to a real college and get a job. This Job was a bad dream!
Profits and Power Struggle
Financial Aid (Former Employee), Jackson, MSFebruary 15, 2013
After 7 1/2 years of my department was reorganized and moved to a central location. The students are not considered, only the profits of the investors. The classrooms and student supplies are a joke, while the management has up to date equipment, and lavish travel expenses.

The corporate staff appears to be willing to try anything to keep the money – more... flowing in while advancing themselves personally.

I can say I was well trained, but being laid off in a "Group Reducation" and finding work at another school that really cares for it's students was the best thing that could happen to me.

(in a final note, I agree with what the "staff accountant" posted last year - I was subject to the same shoddy treatment while under the Huntsville management umbrella) – less

About Education Corporation of America

Education Corporation of America® owns and operates private accredited colleges across the United States as well as via the – Read more