Education Corporation of America Employee Reviews in United States

Not a place to excel and grow
server (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 14, 2016
Inconsistent in every way. No structure. No real uniform policy. Managers disappear to run errands and are gone for hours at a time. Everyone seems to be related in someway in the management team. Could be a much better place to work.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No benefits, inconsistent scheduling.
a wonderful place that exceeded in serving or vets depts and spouses
School Certifying Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 7, 2015
I worked in the military student center with an amazing caring staff that exceeded in taking care of vets, depts. and spouses with va education benefits. Assisting in va education benefit eiligibilty, va required documents, billing, debt, va certification and customer service.
E
teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2015
Monday is the typical day of work in which i learned how to be ponctual and active .i get accostomed with many homework to be corrected . the hardest part of the day is friday cause it is a bit at the middele ant our teachers did not give us a break between hours. It is by the waythe most enjoyable part of the day cause it is the tile of ESSALAT.
Pros
FREE LUNCHES
Cons
SHORT BREAKS
Excellent company
Cosmetology Program Director (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSOctober 3, 2015
I worked at VC in Jackson MS in 05-06. I am currently employed in Biloxi,MS for just over a year now in senior leadership. This company has a lot of room for growth. You have to be cut from the right cloth for advancement but it is a lot of room for grow. I read a lot of negative reviews and it is crushing because while I respect that it might be your opinion, I do not want a bad overall vibe put out their about a company that is great. Yes: it is for profit yes: students matter yes: numbers are important yes: success of the student is top priority. It is just like anywhere, if you have a Mgr. that is not doing a great job, doesn't mean the company doesn't care. I believe in the brand and I have my eyes set on advancement because I have what it takes and I love what I do.
Pros
Student Success
Shut this place down all over before it gets real!!! This is THE worst place I have ever worked for!!
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  All Of themSeptember 29, 2015
Management doesn't care about students or employees. This place needs to be shut down immediately!! Students get inadequate education for the amount of money they pay. The instructors try their best but after awhile they don't give a rip. If you enjoy babysitting then need apply because this is exactly my experience with the exception that these are adults! Safety forget about it... just make sure your life insurance policy is current and your family is fully aware and has a great attorney on speed dial. TAKE MY ADVICE RUN FAST!!!
Pros
Pay is ok but not worth the headache. Your Co-workers Understand they feel the same way!
Cons
Management! ECA/VC existence!
Not a good place to work
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 21, 2015
This is not a great place to work at all. You spend your entire day, from sun up to sun down at this facility, there is no work-life balance, and management does nothing but tell you what you are doing wrong. Most of the instructors/program directors do not want to be there, there have been 5 Academic Deans and the school has only been open for 3 years. This place is all about numbers and not about caring for students. Not a good place to work or attend school.
Pros
Compensation
School Has a Discipline Problem
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 18, 2015
Taught very briefly as an adjunct for this company. Nice facility, well-equipped classrooms, and the staff seemed competent. A decent academic environment overall. The people were great, except for the dean, who was pretty intense and unclear as to expectations. He was very much focused on student discipline and archaic accounting procedures; the environment felt similar to teaching a class in a minimum security prison or the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. I could see that the disciplinary rules were going to take away from a clear focus on teaching, so I tried to adjust them a bit (with the dean's approval), which only created more disciplinary issues among students who didn't like the changes. Since the job paid far less than local 'scale' for adjuncting, I decided it just wasn't worth having to deal with all the esoteric 'rules' and shifting expectations, so I bailed, Told the dean I would work until he found a suitable replacement, but he showed me the door. Guess he was as relieved to see me go as I was to hit the bricks! If you decide to work here, be sure to get a clear contract from them with all of the administrative and disciplinary requirements and expectations of the job spelled out in detail!
Pros
Nice physical environment and classrooms
Cons
Discipline problems and a lack of clear expectations up-front
K12 Administartion Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lauderdale Lakes, FLSeptember 17, 2015
The pressure stayed on due to getting the spots filed for students to enroll/ but BEING HERE WAS FUN IN A AWAY AND VERY INTRERESTING.
Pros
Nice working hours
Cons
no comunication
Company is awful!
Server (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaAugust 23, 2015
These people care nothing about their staff, the assistant manager is rude & atrocious, the managers will leave and disappear running errands, plus the overall company is ran from someplace up north...the externs are so sad, they'll never make it in a real restaurant & for what this company charges students you'd think they would take more care & concern to their restaurants!
Pros
free food sometimes
Cons
no benefits, poor business overall
Horrible place to work if you'd like to advance in your career
Cosmetology instructor (Former Employee) –  Conway, scJuly 20, 2015
I worked for this corporation for a year and once my boss found out I wanted to advance in my career she gave me issues. The turn over rate is rediculous high. There's no communication between departments yet they find time to gossip. This company and its employees do not care about students, they care about enrollment rates and money.
Pros
Students
Cons
Lack of communication, no room for advancement
able to help others accomplish their goals.
Area Director of Student Finance (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TnJuly 8, 2015
Nothing but positive things to say. Great staff and management alike.
Ability to self manage and motivate others into leadership positions was rewarding.
Pros
Able to see people grow and acomplish goals.
Cons
Job Security
Worst place on earth
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville AlabamaApril 27, 2015
Do yourself a favor and Don't apply for a job there! You will save yourself a lot of headaches and heartbreaks! The Huntsville staff is messier than reality tv!
Pros
nothing
Cons
everyone and everything else
Good people, bad management
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 9, 2015
Loved working here with the people but the change in management throughout my time here was irritating and counterproductive
Pros
good people
Cons
bad management
It was great...then it was a job.
Corporate Student Finance Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 24, 2015
The company is in a constant state of re-organization which is uncomfortable and demeaning. They have process-mapped three times in less than 3 years and continue to eliminate jobs. This, in-turn, creates more work for the people they did not re-org out of employment. Because of the constant re-organization, no one knows if they're valuable or on the chopping block. It's frustrating and depressing.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
No development
I'd rather flip burgers
enrollment specialist (Current Employee) –  carlsbad, caJanuary 10, 2015
as a former enrollment specialist, I can tell you that this job will suck the life out of you. it seems nice on the outside but the way the company is run is so shady. you are expected to sell expensive enrollments to a shady program that no reputable employer even recognized as anything worth having. I felt bad for the people coming to the school because most of them didn't even have two pennies to rub together but i was encouraged to push them to enroll to hit starts.
Cons
everything
great
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  spartanburgDecember 1, 2014
very laid back place. was able to choose your own schedule according to your lifestyle
Pros
prepares you for more professional jobs
Cons
pay is too low
great management
Student Finance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 16, 2014
High volume environment. call center. I learned the ins and outs of financial aid and was able to help many people start their college careers
Pros
great staff
Cons
stressful
Don't Do It
Campus (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 15, 2014
If you want no personal life go ahead and apply, 8-8, 6 days/wk. Communication is non-existent at this place; they even tell you they are the worst at communicating. You will be walking on eggshells every day you work there. Turnover is high and you will question yourself if it is even worth the constant abuse. Vacation sounds great till you find out you are highly restricted on when and how you use it. Doing the right thing is well ....Let just say i don't want to be held "liable" in court.
Pros
pros hmmm......
Cons
where do i start?
Great work environment with supportive Senior Leadership Team.
Corporate Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 11, 2014
ECA is a for-profit organization. Great team atmosphere with a lot of room for growth.
From the librarian
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Texas uJuly 20, 2014
As the librarian whose job is presently being advertised on indeed.com, I find this most offensive since nothing but the best has been given in four short months. I have experienced nothing but lack of information, lack of cooperation, and lack of communication from those around me. In the end I took the fall for a most incompetent company whose only interest is money. I didn't heed the negative reviews I read before taking this job. I was mistaking! You cannot be effective in an environment of negativity, fear of losing your job, and the knowledge that this is hurting students. This company (not school) is solely about money! They have wonderful people, myself with an MLS, who want students to succeed, but are faced with the realization that most will fail due to the greed and incompetence of this company. To my successor I advise most caution. You will be killed by the unknown and the utter stupidity of PDs, president, and dean. You cannot succeed when there is utter chaos raging around you. Never have I experienced such maliciousness as to advertise my job while presently sacrificing my all. This is shameful and disgraceful.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything

2.7