Education Management Corporation

Education Management Corporation United States Employee Reviews

Made my own schedule with students
Art Institute Student Tutor (Former Employee), York, PAApril 21, 2015
Pros: Tutoring others in my field, Creating my own schedule
Cons: Pay could be better, Punch time clock is out of date
Education Management Corporation opened up a new door for me in the area of tutoring, because it made me realize that I already had the qualities to be a tutor. For instance, I am a very patient and understanding person with an energy to teach others the ways.
Virtual Academic Advisor (Former Employee), chandler, azApril 13, 2015
diverse workers, poor management, the hardest part of the job is not knowing what policy are outdated and what is valid because of the constant changes.
Business Analyst -Accounting (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 7, 2015
I would not recommend a friend to work here. So many layoffs each quarter as well as a declining student enrollment every term. Future of for profit colleges do not look good.
Work environment is a JOKE!!!!!
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 12, 2015
Pros: 401k
Cons: just read my review!!!!!
I worked at the Tampa campus. Basically, it was a telesales position to get prospects through the door. Since it was a for-profit school, we were forced to get numbers rather than quality students. EDMC has been in ruins for years now, and I highly recommend to stay away as a student and employee. In Tampa, the work environment was a joke. The dress code was a joke, and some of the co-workers needed a slap in the face to learn how to be professional. I believe the management had no idea how to hire, train, or manage in their given roles. They hired young single people who were friends outside of work rather than combing for people with meaningful goals in life. The hours were long and staggered Monday through Saturday making the completion of chores outside of work near impossible. The pay and benefits were alright, but the job is a dead end position. It is good for someone out of college, a second income person, a person getting ready for retirement, a person in retirement, or someone utilizing the free tuition program. In my opinion, this school is a joke. Don't waste your time or money. The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing how some morons interact and operate in Corporate America!!!!!
Only work here if you have no other options
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good location, easy to access.
Cons: company is in financial trouble, slim to no upward advancement opportunities.
I currently work for this company and I cannot wait to leave. I work at one of the Arizona locations as an Academic Counselor and I hate it. The Management team that I work for caries double standards and care only about the number if students that start a class session. For the level of education that is required to be in this position you are better off looking somewhere else. The job description does not match what you are actually required to do.
I have never seen the level of micro-management that I do on a daily basis. If you want to work in an environment that does not pay that well, has so so benefits, uses Paid Time Off as opposed to Sick / Vacation time, and enjoy being micro-managed by people that are only in their positions because they have been there the longest, then go ahead and apply. Otherwise run away and go apply some where else.
Only work here if you have no other options
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good location, easy to access.
nice work environment, great employees
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great employees
Cons: long workdays and tons of pressure to recruit
recruiting students for an online university. Most students should not be taking on this type of student loan debt because most will not be finding jobs to appropriately pay back the debt.

There are really no guidelines for these students to get into school. They have to apply, send proof of graduation ( or GED) and BAM. They are accepted!

EDMC is a great starting environment for people looking for a career in sales, otherwise... may not be best for you.
Run, don't walk, from this company!
sales (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: fair pay
Cons: preditory admission practices focus on the poor
After nearly 10 years in my role, I finally woke up to see the real damage this company is doing to its students. Selling semi adequate education at a premium price to those who have no real resources or any chance to pay the 80 k+ in loans back is NOT a solid business model. The shrinking student body is resulting in a shrinking employee body and lay offs have been the name of the game since 2012. This company is the education equivalent of a bad used car lot.
Admissions Representative
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2015
Call center environment; numbers driven; great coworkers; great overtime pay; no work life balance; poor culture; constant threat of company bankruptcy; current probation status with accrediting body
Great Coworkers, Care for Students
Assistant to the Registrar (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: advancement
Faculty and staff genuinely care for students. I have never worked anywhere with such a hard working groups that was so dedicated to student success.
Productive and fun workplace
Quality Assurance Specialist/Financial Aid (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaJanuary 8, 2015
• Created and presented daily reports on review turn-around times and departmental accuracies; Reviewed financial accounts for accuracy and completion on documentation required by the department of education; Researched and presented training opportunities to the financial aid team regarding documentation requirements
• Verified accuracy of requested student documentation, assisted students with award/loan eligibility; Prepared, packaged, and presented financial aid plans to students; Researched and resolved unpaid financial aid; Utilized NSLDS, FAFSA, COD, OpenNet and in-house systems to package and prepare financial aid per federal guidelines; worked closely with the Admissions and Academic departments to ensure student satisfaction, timely processing, and present a team environment
OK
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 7, 2015
Many pros and cons. Work/life balance is good, but the management and leadership can definitely be better. There is also always the issue of job security with many layoffs over the past few years.
a rewarding company
Loan Resolution Department Supervisor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, paDecember 21, 2014
EDMC has given me a lot over the years. The benefits are amazing.
Productive and Challenging work place.
Admissions Representative (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: pay, coworkers, pto, cafe
Cons: insurance, compliance calls, corporate, constant monitoring, no job security, limited advancement, high overturn
Your day always starts with a morning huddle with your team. You will learn how your team is doing and whether or not you will be making your goals. You will either be congratulated or told you are not up to par. Then you will return to your desk to start making calls immediately. You will make anywhere between 200 - 300 calls to prospective students per day. Some calls will be good but the majority of them will be rude so you have to make sure you do not take it personally and can work through it. All of your calls are recorded and will be listened to for compliance issues. If you say something that is not compliant you will receive some sort of reprimand. The level of reprimand will differ depending on the severity of the compliance gap.

Your day is monitored as well. The software that you use to make the calls, called pace, will monitor everything you do. If you take longer than two minutes to type up the notes for the call you were just on, a box will pop up asking you what you are doing. If you leave your desk you must make sure that you switch the pace into a "safe" choice so that you will not get a warm call transfer while you are away from your desk.

The company ghost shops to double check you are doing the conversations they way that they want them to be done. Every so often you will get a call from the compliance department where they will pretend to be a student and have a full blown conversation with you which usually takes between 45-70 minutes just to make sure you are staying compliant.

Although the position can be difficult and tiring, it is also satisfying when you successfully help a student. When one of your students graduate from college there is no better feeling than knowing that they may never have gotten that chance without you.
Fun environment, but can be stressful
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 9, 2014
Pros: people are fun to work with
Cons: intense and repetative
The management cares a lot about their employees, but goals can feel overwhelming and pressured to be reached.
Sales Manager/Trainer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 4, 2014
This was a learning experience that has made me ready to take on any task possible.
Great company
Brown Mackie College Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Louisville, KYOctober 27, 2014
I have been working at EDMC for apporx., 12 months and my review is that it is a great company; the faulty members’ are superb!
Company loosing its focus, position in the industry
Learning Support Specialist (Former Employee), Akron, OhioOctober 20, 2014
Pros: some capable staff, incompetent management leads to very little controls
Cons: poor work ethic, no funding/support, no focus toward success
Spent seven (long) years working toward better outcomes for students, as my own career and position in the company kept being diminished. Started as their librarian, working to assure Accreditors that advances and academic support was present for new programs. Time went on and cuts to my budget, staff and finally a reclassification of my position doomed any chance for advancement, recognition or ability to do good work there. It's not just the push for numbers, no matter the cost, it was about the loss of direction we were taking as a company. It wasn't about education, or aiding current students to learn anything. It came down to spending nothing and thrreating the faculty (who were also making nothing) to keep students enrolled no matter what.

I guess the product doesn't matter anymore when you've got billions of dollars of debt to try and cover.
Company Review
Academic Counselor (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 8, 2014
Wonderful work environment with strong and trustworthy management. Very good people, atmosphere and morals and values. This company was and continues to be built on trust.
Good benefits
Admissions Representative (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 26, 2014
Talk on the phone to students dialing all day. The best part is actually talking on the phone and the benefits that are presented to you.
Some of the people are friendly

1 2 3 4 5

About Education Management Corporation

Education Management Corporation is among the largest providers of private post-secondary education in North America, based on – Read more

Education Management Corporation Salaries