Education Management Corporation

Education Management Corporation Employee Reviews

Education Management
Financial Aid Processor (Current Employee), Chandler, ArizonaJune 30, 2015
Pros: Paid Vacation; Educational Benefits through the various institutions; Health, Dental, and Mental care available
Cons: Miscommunication between Managers and Employees
A typical day at work includes researching financial holds, incoming payments, refunds, and corporate accounting/finance. My title was/is a Disbursements Financial Aid Information Processor, and I was responsible for SLMA and ELMNET loans, as well as researching department of education loans and utilizing the National Student Loan Data System to keep accurate accounts of student loan payments and reception. I learned many aspects of SMARTALT loans and how to work with our lenders to establish accurate financial processing to our students. Management and the general culture was the roughest part of the job because there was a lack of morale due to the various budget cuts and position eliminations taking place over the last 2 years. My co-workers and I developed a strong rapport where we could work together and communicate appropriately. Advancement has not been an option due to the reorganization of the corporate structure. The most enjoyable part of the job by far was helping students receive their financial aid and assisting financial directors at 50+ institutions, country-wide, in the sending and receiving of financial aid and research.
stay away!
Financial Aid Information Processor (Current Employee), Chandler, AZJune 17, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: pay, work loads
Horrible place to work. Management seeks productivity through scare tatics. Absolutely no job security. Worse job culture I've ever experienced.
micromanaged and hand holding
Finance Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 10, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Poor management and expectations
Everyday we hand held students to where they were not as successful as they should have been. Managers micromanaged us constantly and demanded unrealistic goals. I enjoyed my team and co-workers.
Assist and review Recruiting and Financial Assistance Teams
Financial Intake Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 30, 2015
Pros: A lot to learn from a great branch of a company.
Cons: Potential Lay Offs
A really great position in a shaky company. Week end Week out you would assist students with readying their financial aid packet, while assisting their admissions staff with any needs they have. Management were friendly down to earth people, while co-workers ranged from straight out of college to nearing retirement. Overall a great experience.
Good benefits and pay but lacking in job security
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Great people and alot of support
Cons: long hours, no job security
Most days I spent cold calling possible students and getting them ready for class. I worked with the students to get them financial cleared and ready for classes. I was nice working with student but the hardest part was alot of the students could not afford school or could not get financial aid.
High School Representative (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 15, 2015
Pros: Home office, make your own schedule
Cons: Very early morning and long days in the fall
You build your own schedule, learned and applied positive leadership skills, become a good leader, develop relationships with co-workers. Hardest part of the job is the extremely early mornings but I get to nspire employees to reach goals and encourage new students to the Art Institutes to pursue their education and career goals
Great opportunity for driven individuals.
Admissions Representative - Argosy University (Former Employee), Pittsburgh PAMay 6, 2015
Pros: Great location, great compensation, great people
Cons: Poor job security
Great opportunity for driven individuals. Good lead generation system.The recently re-worked website is not very consumer friendly.The compliance process needs to be revamped.
Made my own schedule with students
Art Institute Student Tutor (Former Employee), York, PAApril 21, 2015
Pros: Tutoring others in my field, Creating my own schedule
Cons: Pay could be better, Punch time clock is out of date
Education Management Corporation opened up a new door for me in the area of tutoring, because it made me realize that I already had the qualities to be a tutor. For instance, I am a very patient and understanding person with an energy to teach others the ways.
EDMC
Virtual Academic Advisor (Former Employee), chandler, azApril 13, 2015
diverse workers, poor management, the hardest part of the job is not knowing what policy are outdated and what is valid because of the constant changes.
EDMC
Business Analyst -Accounting (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 7, 2015
I would not recommend a friend to work here. So many layoffs each quarter as well as a declining student enrollment every term. Future of for profit colleges do not look good.
Work environment is a JOKE!!!!!
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 12, 2015
Pros: 401k
Cons: just read my review!!!!!
I worked at the Tampa campus. Basically, it was a telesales position to get prospects through the door. Since it was a for-profit school, we were forced to get numbers rather than quality students. EDMC has been in ruins for years now, and I highly recommend to stay away as a student and employee. In Tampa, the work environment was a joke. The dress code was a joke, and some of the co-workers needed a slap in the face to learn how to be professional. I believe the management had no idea how to hire, train, or manage in their given roles. They hired young single people who were friends outside of work rather than combing for people with meaningful goals in life. The hours were long and staggered Monday through Saturday making the completion of chores outside of work near impossible. The pay and benefits were alright, but the job is a dead end position. It is good for someone out of college, a second income person, a person getting ready for retirement, a person in retirement, or someone utilizing the free tuition program. In my opinion, this school is a joke. Don't waste your time or money. The most enjoyable part of the job was witnessing how some morons interact and operate in Corporate America!!!!!
Only work here if you have no other options
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good location, easy to access.
Cons: company is in financial trouble, slim to no upward advancement opportunities.
I currently work for this company and I cannot wait to leave. I work at one of the Arizona locations as an Academic Counselor and I hate it. The Management team that I work for caries double standards and care only about the number if students that start a class session. For the level of education that is required to be in this position you are better off looking somewhere else. The job description does not match what you are actually required to do.
I have never seen the level of micro-management that I do on a daily basis. If you want to work in an environment that does not pay that well, has so so benefits, uses Paid Time Off as opposed to Sick / Vacation time, and enjoy being micro-managed by people that are only in their positions because they have been there the longest, then go ahead and apply. Otherwise run away and go apply some where else.
Only work here if you have no other options
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good location, easy to access.
nice work environment, great employees
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great employees
Cons: long workdays and tons of pressure to recruit
recruiting students for an online university. Most students should not be taking on this type of student loan debt because most will not be finding jobs to appropriately pay back the debt.

There are really no guidelines for these students to get into school. They have to apply, send proof of graduation ( or GED) and BAM. They are accepted!

EDMC is a great starting environment for people looking for a career in sales, otherwise... may not be best for you.
Run, don't walk, from this company!
sales (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: fair pay
Cons: preditory admission practices focus on the poor
After nearly 10 years in my role, I finally woke up to see the real damage this company is doing to its students. Selling semi adequate education at a premium price to those who have no real resources or any chance to pay the 80 k+ in loans back is NOT a solid business model. The shrinking student body is resulting in a shrinking employee body and lay offs have been the name of the game since 2012. This company is the education equivalent of a bad used car lot.
Admissions Representative
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2015
Call center environment; numbers driven; great coworkers; great overtime pay; no work life balance; poor culture; constant threat of company bankruptcy; current probation status with accrediting body
Great Coworkers, Care for Students
Assistant to the Registrar (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: advancement
Faculty and staff genuinely care for students. I have never worked anywhere with such a hard working groups that was so dedicated to student success.
Productive and fun workplace
Quality Assurance Specialist/Financial Aid (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaJanuary 8, 2015
• Created and presented daily reports on review turn-around times and departmental accuracies; Reviewed financial accounts for accuracy and completion on documentation required by the department of education; Researched and presented training opportunities to the financial aid team regarding documentation requirements
• Verified accuracy of requested student documentation, assisted students with award/loan eligibility; Prepared, packaged, and presented financial aid plans to students; Researched and resolved unpaid financial aid; Utilized NSLDS, FAFSA, COD, OpenNet and in-house systems to package and prepare financial aid per federal guidelines; worked closely with the Admissions and Academic departments to ensure student satisfaction, timely processing, and present a team environment
OK
Academic Counselor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 7, 2015
Many pros and cons. Work/life balance is good, but the management and leadership can definitely be better. There is also always the issue of job security with many layoffs over the past few years.
a rewarding company
Loan Resolution Department Supervisor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, paDecember 21, 2014
EDMC has given me a lot over the years. The benefits are amazing.

1 2 3 4 5

About Education Management Corporation

Education Management Corporation is among the largest providers of private post-secondary education in North America, based on – Read more

Education Management Corporation Salaries