Edward Jones

Edward Jones Employer Reviews

Tough job, but rewarding
Financial Advisor/Account Manager (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAOctober 3, 2013
Difficult career to break in to, but the potential is unlimited. You build your own financial practice from the ground up.
Great Company
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MOOctober 2, 2013
Great local company with alot of opportunities. Would work for again in the future if the right position and pay came along.
Administrator (Current Employee), Brentwood TennesseeSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: no weekends
Cons: no cons
Great company to work for,great work environment. I like the fact that it's a 2 person office and if you aren't available due to illness or sick children the company has a program where an on call that can come in the office so the advisor is not alone.
Difficult work environment due to management
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee), University Place, WASeptember 30, 2013
Pros: the clients
Cons: difficult management
My typical day consisted of managing client assets and doing paperwwork. I learned that this was not a challenging job and that it was more undane than not.

There was one manager and no co-workers which made the job difficult. There was no one to vent to or as questions of.

The most enjoyable part of the job would have been the interaction with the – more... clients. – less
Typical Day
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 27, 2013
A typical day at work was unconventional. Whether I was meeting new people, doing office work, creating a regional-wide newsletter, updating databases, or answering phones, I was always busy.

I enjoyed solving problems, creating standard operating procedures, and making customers smile by going beyond their expectations.
Contractor
Project Coordinator (Contract) (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2013
I enjoyed working with 99% of the people but I guess every place has a "bad apple". Overall, it was a great learning experience.
Highly volume work load
Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 10, 2013
* Lack of decision making
* Required intense amount of internal team members to review and approve all work
* Pressure focused in the wrong areas
2 person team not ideal
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: quiet office
Cons: no challenge, bored
I really did not enjoy working here. The Investment Rep was never in the office. He would go out and play golf most of the time. I would spend my day getting my work done and sitting there doing nothing which I can't handle.
Little to no job security
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), St Louis, MoSeptember 4, 2013
good training for 7 and 66.
flexibility in schedule for those that can time manage
pay scale varies per person and goals are not equitable
A great professional environment to work.
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee), Lakewood, WASeptember 1, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Typical day was to open office, start coffee, get system up and running, check phone messages and income emails. Prepare financials for Investment Representative for upcoming appointments. Greet clients as they arrive. Answer incoming and make outgoing calls. Complete tasks and reports as generated for my position. Make daily bank balancing and deposit – more... for office transactions (investments). Close office by shutting down all systems and preparing end of day reports.

I learned about basic financial investment principles. I learned how to manage an entire office by myself. My Investment Representative was fantastic! We got to the point where we could almost read what the other person was thinking which made us so successful. The hardest part of my job was to not step over the Administrator/Investment Representative boundary in regards to securities and legal administration. The reverse was true for my Investment Representative. He doesn't make money running reports. He makes money by being in front of clients. The most enjoyable part again was working with my Investment Representative and our clients. How home office in St Louis, Mo was also fantastic. – less
Good Company, Just Don't Try to Think for Yourself
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), South CarolinaAugust 27, 2013
Pros: schedule flexibility
Cons: commission-based income
Edward Jones is a good company. They're not a obvious about their corporate culture of greed. Just don't consume from any other than the Edward Jones Kool-Aid fountain
really liked meeting the clients and getting to know them
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCAugust 21, 2013
clients would come and have a cup of coffee with me, chat tell me about their life, children, grandchildren, etc..
Loved working here
Financial Advisor Apprentice (Former Employee), FrederickAugust 19, 2013
This is the overseer of all branches for a state. He supported clients within the financial services of Edward Jones to help develop our investors’ personal financial goals. Creating these goals through various avenues he demonstrated strong communication and verbal skills, researched and identify potential securities that would best suit an investors’ – more... need, regarded as a self-motivated and independent worker that needed no prompting to see tasks that need to be done and do what was required to complete goals and expectations on a deadline. – less
Good family company
Business Office Administrator (Current Employee), Monett, MOAugust 18, 2013
Good company to work for. They think that family and work values are important.
Very productive and professional workplace
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee), Prince Frederick, MDAugust 17, 2013
Answer phones, general office duties, schedule appts, I really enjoyed this position, however my childcare expenses were more than my income
Excellent Training
Licensed Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 13, 2013
Top training in the industry with excellent opportunity for job growth.
This is a tough environment to work in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Somewhere in WAAugust 13, 2013
Pros: mostly nice people but many that are not.
Cons: long, long hours, difficult to meet the standards that they set, high turnover
When you start a career with Edward Jones you're told that everyone wants you to succeed and is there to help when you need it. This couldn't be further from the truth. The overall way that they deal with clients in a one-to-one setting is great and you get a great chance to become friends with a lot of fabulous people... BUT ... the reality is that – more... they want you to succeed so that their bonuses are larger not because they want you to succeed. They want us to work the 60+ hours to ensure that they get their bonus. I have worked in a region of the company whose primary goal as a region is to be in the top 5 regions. Nothing else seems to matter after listening to our regional manager.....NOTHING. If you're a "rockstar" then they will help you as much as they possibly can but for those of us struggling the help seems to dry up and no one has the time all of a sudden. I spent a lot of time trying to find that just right person or group of persons that would be willing to be a mentor. The search was tough and still haven't gotten a mentor that is really there to help to the point of I don't even know what I'm looking for in a mentor. They actually started calling them business coaches now, no more field development person from the home office NO HELP. Each office has 1 advisor and most of the time 1 branch office administrator. The goal of the company is 20,000 advisors by 2020 and the assets to go with that goal. Then the partners get an ever increasing bonus - believe me, I've been told this by two entirely different people at least 4 times over the past 12 months - that we, as newer advisors, as costing them money on their bonus. If this sounds like sour grapes, it's not. It's 3 1/2 years of working the 60+ hours and not getting a lot of success in gathering new clients and being tired, drained, wiped out. This is the hardest work I've done and believe me I've done some very hard and taxing work.

Thing twice if this is what you want to put your family through as I feel guilty all the time now for being a grouch with mine. It's not worth it to tax your family in that manner. My family is more important to me.

One more thing. When people leave, the bad mouthing that goes on is horrid. These are upstanding people, honest, ethical and they are drug through the mud and publicly announced that they left because they were -------whatever the reason and talk badly about that person, it's disgusting.

Or how about the advisor that is just a short amount of sales away from one of their diversification trips (I'll pay for my own trips, thank you) - do they do the right thing and put that client into the type of investment vehicle that is the right thing for them and the right thing to do and they don't make much $$ on it or do they put the client into an investment that will help them make that trip? When they allude to the fact that they would do the latter which has no integrity whatsoever....what does that say? And it's allowed.

The training is great but you don't always have the time to do it. There are development dinners each month that they cannot require you to attend but will hurt you in others ways if you don't. – less
Great Training
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: training, support
Cons: no guidance
The complany provided exceptional training. There was great support within the company and they give you the tools to be successful.
Productive and Encouraging Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Saint LouisAugust 6, 2013
Pros: awesome management and co-workers.
Cons: needed more hours
The most enjoyable part of this job was the abundance of opportunity available.
Tedious, yet once trained will learn a lot about financing and budgeting others investments.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, ILAugust 5, 2013
Cons: not a lot of work time given
A typical day's work included organizing back storage rooms and learning the computer system. I learned budget management and how to read stock. I did not work close enough with management to have an opinion; I worked more closely with the front secretary who was wonderful in teaching me and allowing me to make mistakes. The hardest part of the job – more... was not having a lot of time to actually experience the job because I spent more time learning the system or organizing office tasks. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was seeing how it operated and learning it was not the route I wanted to pursue. – less

About Edward Jones

At Edward Jones, we are a leader in the financial services industry serving nearly 7 million clients. We have more than 11,000 – Read more

Edward Jones Photos